Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Angry Nurses "Play Cards For a Considerable Amount Of The Day"

SOURCE

Yes, you read that correctly, Senator Maureen Walsh (R - Washington State) seems to believe that nurses actually have time to sit around and play cards at work. Nurses everywhere are reacting that they are actually busy saving lives and rarely receive their lawful breaks.

Senator Walsh made the comments on April 16, 2019, and was said to be referring to the nurses who work in critical access hospitals. She believes that they should be exempt from a bill SHB 1155 that would protect nurses from mandatory overtime and protect their meal and rest breaks.

In the video Walsh is heard making several claims about the nursing profession,

“if nurses get tired, let's stop letting them do 12 hours shifts, let's make them do 8-hour shifts. 12 hours, I know they want it but, then they come back and start talking out of both sides of their mouth and telling us how tired they are," says Senator Walsh.

She goes on to state her opinion on what nurses do during their break time,

"I understand making sure that we have rest breaks and things like that. But, I also understand that we need to care for patients first and foremost. I would submit to you that those nurses probably do get breaks! They probably play cards for a considerable amount of the day!" said, Senator Maureen Walsh.

About The Bill - SHB 1155

Bill SHB 1155 was originally intended to protect the lunch and rest breaks for nurses who work 12 hours per day or more - which is standard for most nurses - and to limit mandatory overtime. A practice that, according to the Washington State Nurse’s Association is an “abhorrent employer practice” with unplanned overtime ultimately hurting not only nurses but, the patients as well in the long run.

However, Senator Walsh recently offered an amendment to the bill that will also limit nurse’s shift hours to 8 hours per day in Washington State. This amendment is causing push-back and controversy throughout the Washington State nursing community as many say it will affect their livelihood.

Due to her comments, the bill is likely to go viral along with her remarks.

Nurses React

The Washington State Hospital Association’s President and CEO, Cassie Sauer, posted a statement confirming that they do not support Senator Walsh’s amendment,

“In a surprise amendment to the nurse staffing bill, the Senate added a provision that would limit nurses to working only eight hours in a 24-hour period. This would be a strict prohibition, with no exemptions for emergencies or patient safety. Nurses could not choose to work more if they wanted to. A nurse could be in the middle of a life-saving surgical procedure and there would be no exception to allow them to stay and complete their work. WSHA did not support and had no knowledge of this amendment.

This would also change the standard schedule for nurses, who mostly work thr*ee 12-hour shifts a week — a schedule that was developed primarily at their request. If the amendment becomes law, nurses would need to work five days a week to earn full-time pay," stated Sauer.

Sauer ended the statement with a call to action to have the amendment removed,

“We need your action. Please tell your House members how bad this would be. Please tell your nurses what is happening and ask them to call their unions and their House members. Tell them to oppose the eight-hour work limit amendment to SHB 1155.”

The Washington State Nurse’s Association says on their website that, “there is zero logic behind the amendment” as it will cover the rest breaks for some nurses but not, all nurses.

In regards to Senator Walsh's recent comments, the WSNA says they are not only disrespectful but also, “one of the most demeaning statements on the nursing profession since Joy Behar’s 2015 “doctor’s stethoscope” comments on The View."
    Yet ANOTHER Republican politician who doesn't have a fucking clue about the goings on in this world. As someone who grew up in a nursing family, as someone who IS a nurse I can speak how inaccurate this woman's views are of nurses. Nurses often times miss their breaks and lunches because the demand of patient care is so high. Nurses often don't have time to go to the bathroom when they need to because they have to do patient care, console a family who just lost a loved one, give medications to patients who desperately need it, and are late leaving for home because there was too much going on to be released when their shift was supposed to end. How about we take this bitch and make her work a standard shift shadowing a nurse in a hospital and maybe she'll see how much card playing nurses do in the day!

Last edited by gaymer77; 2019-04-20 at 03:08 AM.

My sister (nurse) had some choice things to say about this. This woman has no idea what kind of shit (sometimes literal) that nurses have to deal with. Just having a 5 minute conversation with a nurse would’ve prevented this stream of idiocy.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolly View Post
    My sister (nurse) had some choice things to say about this. This woman has no idea what kind of shit (sometimes literal) that nurses have to deal with. Just having a 5 minute conversation with a nurse would’ve prevented this stream of idiocy.
    Even when I worked the 7p-7am shift in a nursing home I barely had time to sit down and chart. Nurses are busy constantly. Unfortunately this is NOT the first time this woman has said idiotic things on the Washington State Senate floor. She said previously that trans kids are to blame for them being bullied. There are tons of other stupid things she's said that you can Google or YouTube search for. OMFG such an idiot. And she's got that wonderful R next to her name to match her intelligence.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean how hard can their job be when they're always wearing pajamas? ;D ;D ;D

From someone who grew up with a nurse, FU lady.

If the Republicans get to be any more of a cartoonish villain party they will need scary organ music when ever they enter a room.

10+ Year Old Account
    So we are for or against nurses working 12 hour shifts? That seems excessive to me. I get that they should hire more nurses so they aren't doing the job of three nurses but do you guys want to work 12 hours?

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolly View Post
    how much you wanna bet if i look up who contributed to her cmapaign, there will be big business medical companies?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    So we are for or against nurses working 12 hour shifts? That seems excessive to me. I get that they should hire more nurses so they aren't doing the job of three nurses but do you guys want to work 12 hours?
    Some go beyond 12 hours depending on where they're stationed at. Some ER nurses work 16 or more hours a day.

My wife's hospital recently unionized and one of the stipulations in the CBA was that after 12 hours a nurse is unable to perform any more duties for the hospital for 10 hours after they punch out for the day. This is the same Hours of Service laws that truck drivers, pilots, and train service employees have.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

They work 12 hour shifts so they don't have to work every day of the working week.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've worked in nursing. I want to say, "well technically in some wards and facilities you do have a lot of downtimes" but that's not what this Senator was talking about and she is full of shit because on flip end there are more than your fair share of times where you're forced to work multiple 12+ hours in week, on your feet all day with no time to rest of attend to your own needs, forced to put up with some bullshit because you believe in the cause (or need the job), your mental and physical health goes to shit because you spent all your energy on others.

This lady probably spent a few days behind a nursing station or in someone's room when not much is going on. If she even did that. Even if you doing routine work, you always have to have your head on a swivel, nothing is ever quite routine.

And if we're talking actual RNs (usually when people talk about 'nurses' they mean CNAs, MAs, aides, techs, etc who only make $10-$15/hour but do a lot of the 'nursing'), we're talking a ton of responsibility and not many to go around.

Tell that Senator to go somewhere.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    So I'm confused... is this a support the nurses thread, or bash the Rs thread?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    In some situations its feasible to be there for 12 hours a time. If your working in a hospital or some sort of inpatient facility, you want to limit the number shift changes while the your patient is up. No one wants to be in a hospital where you're dealing with a new nurse every 4 hours.

The medical and care industry is kind of fucked though. A lot of places don't give staff enough down time or retain enough workers (turnaround can be high, everybody poaches each others staff) or wages (all workers from maybe LPN and below) too low so people put in crazy hours.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah desperation for healthcare providers has lead to some shitty doctors and shitty nurses. I support this though.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    So I'm confused... is this a support the nurses thread, or bash the Rs thread?
    Why not both?

Nurses need support and this is an idiot idea coming from an R.
    Putin khuliyo

Read. The. Fucking. Article.

I mean, could you get much more low effort? They literally explained it right in the quoted text: The nurses themselves specifically requested the 12 hour schedule. They work 3 12 hour shifts a week, usually with a decent amount of additional over time, which in their profession is much more efficient and viable than working 5 shorter shifts in a work week.

Wow... what a stupid person...

Edit - After watching the video a couple more times, it's pretty obvious she has some kind of personal anger towards nurses or something...
    Last edited by nyc81991; 2019-04-20 at 07:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Some go beyond 12 hours depending on where they're stationed at. Some ER nurses work 16 or more hours a day.

My wife's hospital recently unionized and one of the stipulations in the CBA was that after 12 hours a nurse is unable to perform any more duties for the hospital for 10 hours after they punch out for the day. This is the same Hours of Service laws that truck drivers, pilots, and train service employees have.
    That's nice. Good to see people looking out. As an aid I've done 12/13 (4 off) then 8. Part choice, part due to staffing issues. My 'weekend' was after so its not too bad.

One semester in school 8 hours at work, 6 off, 5 at school, then 20 at work (an 8 and then a 12. The 12 was during a 'down' period though where I just had to be on duty just in case. So I spent a lot time napping on on the books). Pay was okay. Very bad for your personal/mental health if you aren't built for it.

I picture a duo of nurses, more attractive than she is, who are on a meal break or finished shift, playing cards in the lounge and she for some reason observes this and decides to vindictively spew this vitriol with a big audience in an attempt to diminish one of the most worthwhile jobs a person can have.

another example of republicans will be republicans, wonder what would happen if you look at her donor list.

I think the nursing profession has the hardest workers I have ever seen in a hospital or in a health care facility. I have never known nurses to be "slacking off" or "playing cards" as she put it. I have a whole lot of respect for nurses when I go to a hospital if I do at all... or a place where nurses work.