Poll: Texas vs California

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    Also the forum here has MASS amounts of people from CALI - also cali outnumbers us in TX by a LONG shot so it's pretttttty baised considering the forum is based off of WOW and most people live in CALI to begin with.. but LMAO
    This bring an interesting point. Texans are partially responsible for the high cost of living in California.

Every digital order a Texas gamer placed through Blizzard increases the real estate value in Irvine. Every Uber ride in Austin makes a Bay Area Victorian a smidge more expensive. Every small business running ads in Dallas, raises a tower a tiny bit higher. Every Pinterest board in Houston, reshapes the place where people went to prom and repaired mufflers and dreamed of parrots and poetry. Each time some body rent a place in Galveston through Airbnb, rent in California get a little bit more out of reach for the every day people. Every time a woman in rural Texas order birth control online, commercial real estate lease in San Francisco goes up a tiny bit.

I can't figure out something smart to say about the fact that Chevron now owns the largest acreage in the Permian Basin.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2019-04-20 at 09:33 PM.

Good isp, cozy weather, highly metropolitan. Whichever has the best city to meet these factors.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    would likely be the first state to start banning shit if it were ever legal. speech, guns, anything wrongthink.
    So not anything right now, but something possibly in the future?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dald View Post
    In Texas currently but I'm about to move to a more middle ground between the two (so I think) in Phoenix, AZ.
    Ya think?.... welcome to hell

hmmm. voted texas. cause i can't tolerate california's extremism.

but, northern california's supposedly not that bad.

guess it depends which state has an area that never gets tornados.
    North Texas is a major part of Tornado Alley. It gets more tornadoes than Kansas.

I'd pick Texas. The Texas coast is beautiful.

Your selling sexism your selling racism
    your selling anything you get your fucking hands on
    An understanding, you got a plan in a
    Presentation to advertisers who demand it
    When you plan that
    Your antennas are pointed in the right direction
    You make a deal in any situation
    So with no evacuation
    Let California fall into the fucking ocean
    Oh they talk to ya, Oh your the town man
    High profile Hollywood scum-bag
    It's a done deal, signed and sealed
    Deal makers making it all happen
    When you plan that
    Your antennas are pointed in the right direction
    You make a dead in any situation
    So with no evacuation
    Let California fall into the fucking ocean
    Let California fall into the fucking ocean!
    Let California fall into the fucking ocean!
    Let California fall into the fucking ocean!!!
    Anti-War / Anti-CIA / Cynic / Unpopular Opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Which would you rather live in if you had to?

Personally neither but if I had to choose.
    Probably Texas. But they're both filled with hippies, so idk

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ipaq View Post
    Yeah but if you choose Texas:

Tou'll drink water polluted by fossil fuel corps since they gained the rights to drop their waste water in drinkable waterways.

And get executed for having an abortion.

- - - Updated - - -

yeah death penalty for an abortion is totally being sensible human beings.
    FYI, a Republican of all people killed the abortion death penalty bill. It didn't even make it to committee.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    So not anything right now, but something possibly in the future?
    mostly.

though don't they also have some dumb shit about soda cup sizes? basically trying to micromanage people's lives with stuff like that.

that's what i don't want. i don't want anyone in my life, telling me what to do on that level. if i want to be a housewife to a woman, i want to be able to do that with nobody telling me i can't. if i want to own a few guns, i also don't want anyone telling me i can't do that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Texas. Without hesitation Texas.

I live in Virginia and have visited both states for prolonged periods. The general attitude (as in, the median attitude of all the people I met) was more positive and polite in Texas. Californians, as a general population, seem rather aloof, arrogant, and selfish.

The attitude of most of the locals I encountered almost managed to mess up the beauty that was blizzcon ( 3 of my 8 visits were for the Con).

I am ok with hot weather and the occasional natural disaster. There is not nearly as much humidity in DFW area as there is here, so the heat is more bearable. And the People... So many of them so polite, and generally kind. Sure, there were some assholes.. Just as there were SOME nice people cali.. But the numbers were so lopsided.
    "When you build it, you love it!"

mostly.

though don't they also have some dumb shit about soda cup sizes? basically trying to micromanage people's lives with stuff like that.

that's what i don't want. i don't want anyone in my life, telling me what to do on that level. if i want to be a housewife to a woman, i want to be able to do that with nobody telling me i can't. if i want to own a few guns, i also don't want anyone telling me i can't do that.
    Where do you live right now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

15+ Year Old Account
    Fuck Texas....Seriously.

hmmm. voted texas. cause i can't tolerate california's extremism.

but, northern california's supposedly not that bad.

guess it depends which state has an area that never gets tornados.
    Northern California is actually the more extremist side of California. SoCal is where the chill people live (SoCal defined as LA and below). The further north you get, the crazier people get. Granted most of the crazy is concentrated into the Bay Area.

I've spent a decent amount of time in Texas and California, they have their ups and downs on each side. Advantage of California is that you are unlikely to be unemployed. Disadvantage is that you are more likely to have to live in a car while still being employed full time, because speculative real estate raising property values and the collapsing economies in the midwest are driving people West again putting more people into the state.
    Advantage of Texas is you are likely to find somewhere you can buy and own a home. From what I've seen a possible disadvantage: unless you are near a city you are relying on a profession of agriculture or animal husbandry, or you will be unemployed. Another disadvantage is that Texas appears to have a more severe drug problem due to their Mexican border than California does.
    California has better weather than Texas, just plain fact. There is a large variety of climates within California, which means just about any climate a person would prefer they can find in California. Texas has two climates, the coastal climate and the inland climate.

California is actually very politically active and the state closest to a true democracy (and there is a good amount of red and blue districts, republicans do themselves a disservice every year actively avoiding California during presidential elections). It is far easier for citizens to get their proposed legislation on ballots, and just about everything gets voted on, at a city, county and state level. If you don't actually want to have the inner workings of government thrown in your face every day, then California probably isn't a good place to be.

From what I've seen, Texas is not that politically active, the government does things sometimes, and people react to it after it happens.
    What are you willing to sacrifice?

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Where do you live right now?
    north carolina.

things really aren't as redneck here as people think. majority of the state's rather neutral feeling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Assuming I can afford to live there comfortably? California, no contest.

- - - Updated - - -

north carolina.

things really aren't as redneck here as people think. majority of the state's rather neutral feeling.
    Eh, depends where you go. I lived in a super redneck area for 12 years, but being close to the city changes everything.

Montana is not an option therefore the question is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    FYI, a Republican of all people killed the abortion death penalty bill. It didn't even make it to committee.
    It still found his way to be debated.

Being scared of Sharia law but implementing ultra orthodox Christian laws... Enlightened much?

5 years ago, i would have said Cali. but with ongoing drought and what it does to gardening? Texas. while political leanings may have some bearing, in the end it comes down to - can I do all the things that are not inside my house I already enjoy doing? and for those things, be it gardening, fishing, hunting, hiking, etc - Texas just seems to be better nowadays. and cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Which would you rather live in if you had to?

Personally neither but if I had to choose.
    Why didn't you put a "neither" option then? lol Like......this forum man my lord

Austin Texas is a left wing city in the Middle of Texas. Some say it's one of the nicer places to live in the whole country.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland