Page 1 of 21
... LastLast

WoW should go more solo player (new try)

WoW could be way more successfull probably if it would focus on the solo player part more than it does now.

What do you think?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you shouldnt open a thread about this when your other just got closed.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

not you again..

I personally think this a troll post, but prove me wrong. Please explain how WoW is not mostly a solo player game now... and especially how it is not more of a solo game than it was post-WOTLK.

The game is already solo player more than ever. What can you not do by yourself? You can do dungeons, battlegrounds, raids, all without actually interacting with a person. The entire leveling experience doesn't even encourage grouping with others. Even the entire story revolves around your character being the savior of everything as if this is a single player game. We even have battlegrounds vs. AI. Are you also wanting your teammates to be AI?

People who are new to the game lose interest really quickly because the intro experience is incredibly outdated, leveling is now just a chore because it has become mindless to do, from completely guiding you on where to go to automatically obtaining new abilities, removing anything that made you think for a second like choosing talents or what item to wear over another besides item level; and people just want to get through leveling as fast as possible, which used to not be the case. And really this ties into the fact that everything has become so single-player. People level by themselves, they don't interact with anyone because the game doesn't give them a reason to. Its "success" would probably go up a lot if they could get a significant number of new players instead of recycling old players, but I'm sure they're making up for that by selling mounts and character boosts and transfers.

A lot of content that is considered multiplayer is essentially single player anyway. It's like an illusion of playing with other people. Take world bosses for example. Nobody is actually thinking, every other person could be replaced by NPCs and you wouldn't know better. You're basically going to a spot to hit an enemy until it drops your loot. From how developers speak of systems like this, it sounds like they think that this is actually engaging multiplayer activity, but it's not, and this is why warfronts are the way they are.
    Last edited by HitRefresh; 2019-04-20 at 10:17 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    I think you shouldnt open a thread about this when your other just got closed.
    It was closed for a specific reason. This thread has fixed that.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by HitRefresh View Post
    The game is already solo player more than ever. What can you not do by yourself? You can do dungeons, battlegrounds, raids, all without actually interacting with a person. The entire leveling experience doesn't even encourage grouping with others. Even the entire story revolves around your character being the savior of everything as if this is a single player game. We even have battlegrounds vs. AI. Are you also wanting your teammates to be AI?
    I would like AI battlegrounds, dungeons and raids.

"No", in my opinion.

The beauty of WoW is the fact that we are playing with other players.
    Why are you playing a MMO if you only want a RPG...
    Just buy a solo-RPG if you want there is plenty out there.

Dragon Quest comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by duselsteiner View Post
    WoW could be way more successfull probably if it would focus on the solo player part more than it does now.

What do you think?

More solo? I’ve been playing solo for 8+ years. Every now and then I group up with some advanced AI in LFG or LFR and that’s it. Everything else I can do completely by myself. What extra solo content do you think we need?

10+ Year Old Account
    Or you can just play games actually designed as a single player experience? People like you is what's wrong with this game.

What do you think?
    No

10char

I would like AI battlegrounds, dungeons and raids.
    Maybe not raids, but I did enjoy the AI Battleground.

I'm torn TBH. On my main, I enjoy the MMO aspect of WOW, particularly with my guild. On my ALTS, I simply CBF and gear up (mostly) via WQ's & WF's... maybe the odd LFR.

LFR with npcs is the future of WoW. Why should I be forced to interact with players?

An mmo rpg doesn't mean you have to interact with players, it only means there are players around.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard has doubled down enough on creating systems to throw random players together. Whether they address that by creating more solo content or whatever they would be well advised to think about what it's doing to their game.

More solo play would suit a lot of people. Surveys of players in other MMOs have turned up a percentage of over 50% of all players are going it alone. The economics are simple. Contrary to opinion here a lot more solo content or content that allowed players to access it solo or with very small groups (like two or three) would probably benefit the business side of the game. Systems such as this need not hinder those that either want to do the content with complete strangers or in guilds. It also doesn't need to reward "best" gear or anything like it. But it would be welcome, make no mistake.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2019-04-20 at 10:14 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Oh boy, here we go again.

Someone pass the bloody popcorn!

Anywho, personally I don’t think it should go ‘more single player’. But I think there should be more world content that can be done solo or with random folk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HitRefresh View Post
    The game is already solo player more than ever. What can you not do by yourself? You can do dungeons, battlegrounds, raids, all without actually interacting with a person.
    Solo content or content configured to be accessible with just a couple of friends is not the same thing as content like LFR or anything like a pickup group. One is a potentially very pleasant experience. The other is very often not.

You will really anger the "WOW is an MMultiplayerO RPG game" crowd with your OP. I would like better solo options besides questing, but I think it's more healthy for the game if they focus on improving the game as it is. Once they fix class design they can focus on polishing existing features.

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    LFR with npcs is the future of WoW. Why should I be forced to interact with players?

An mmo rpg doesn't mean you have to interact with players, it only means there are players around.
    it absolutely does mean that you have to interact with players.. cuz if you replace every player with AI then its not an MMORPG anymore, its just a single player game

Quote Originally Posted by InTheEnd View Post
    You will really anger the "WOW is an MMultiplayerO RPG game" crowd with your OP. I would like better solo options besides questing, but I think it's more healthy for the game if they focus on improving the game as it is. Once they fix class design they can focus on polishing existing features.
    It was always a misconception some people thought MMORPG means (premade) group play only. The definition just says it is a role playing game in a shared world. There is nothing in the definition of the MMORPG genre which says it should be limited to grouped up gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Blizzard has doubled down enough on creating systems to throw random players together. Whether they address that by creating more solo content or whatever they would be well advised to think about what it's doing to their game.

More solo play would suit a lot of people. Surveys of players in other MMOs have turned up a percentage of over 50% of all players are going it alone. The economics are simple. Contrary to opinion here a lot more solo content or content that allowed players to access it solo or with very small groups (like two or three) would probably benefit the business side of the game. Systems such as this need not hinder those that either want to do the content with complete strangers or in guilds. It also doesn't need to reward "best" gear or anything like it. But it would be welcome, make no mistake.
    It’s a fine line to balance when creating “solo” content via random grouping. I used to love spamming LFG prior to M+ for example, to gear my alts. Yet I despise M+ with randoms. Warfronts on the other hand, I have to force myself to do them once per cycle... They’re just so boring!

Islands are halfway there, I do them on alts to level while rested, while my main doesn’t even do their 4 most weeks. I suspect I enjoy them more on alts than my main as I can see the XP bar increasing.

Random grouping content needs to have a purpose, a reward and enough difficulty you don’t fall asleep while not be so challenging that individuals can easily cause a wipe.
    Last edited by Dakara; 2019-04-20 at 10:35 AM.