Poll: What do you think the Universal Income should be?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

UBI what do you think it should be where you are?

Universal Basic Income UBI what do you think it should be where you are? Personally I think it should be based on a percentage not a fixed number meaning cost of living adjustmented (COLA), Or median income level.

I also believe there should be regional restrictions.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2019-04-20 at 11:12 PM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

I don't think we need a UBI yet and I'm not convinced yet that we will need it in the future. If we do, it should be pegged to cost of living in a given area.

Why so little? why not 5000 per month?
    I'd say 5000 per month is a pretty decent amount. Livable!
    And definitely much better than 1000 or 1500 per month!
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I don't think we need a UBI yet and I'm not convinced yet that we will need it in the future. If we do, it should be pegged to cost of living in a given area.
    This. Get out and make your future if you live in the US and are not handicapped.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by d00mGuArD View Post
    Because you don’t earn it. It’s an obligation to take care of basic needs. Food shelter clothing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    This. Get out and make your future if you live in the US and are not handicapped.
    This really has nothing to do with work. And everything to do with obligations of society at large. It’s basic including nothing more or less food,shelter and clothing.

You want more you have to earn.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Because you don’t earn it. It’s an obligation to take care of basic needs. Food shelter clothing.

- - - Updated - - -

This really has nothing to do with work. And everything to do with obligations of society at large. It’s basic including nothing more or less food,shelter and clothing.

You want more you have to earn.
    Which is why we now have food stamps and welfare, esp if you have children. Also unemployment assistance payments if you are laid off. There are lots of jobs out there, if one is willing to make some sacrifices, which I did when I first started out on my own.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by d00mGuArD View Post
    Rofl. Who would pay for that? Tons of people would quit working for 60k a year. I honestly have trouble telling if li reals are trolls or for real. Make your own money or rot in the gutter, that's my method.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow Celista agrees with me in this? Are you coming over to the dark side?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Which is why we now have food stamps and welfare, esp if you have children. Also unemployment assistance payments if you are laid off. There are lots of jobs out there, if one is willing to make some sacrifices, which I did when I first started out on my own.

Lol honestly one time I agree with you. Although I’m told this is a little different. I think most programs you have to be a single mother. UBI is for anyone below the poverty line. But again I agree with your point.

The only way I’d be against this is if it’s not audited and managed.

For example I’d prefer it be credit not cash and it should be adjusted for where you are. Some places 1000 is too much others not nearly enough.

When I started out 1500 a month was hard as fuck. Not sure if it could be done now.

Rent $550
    food $150
    Car Insurance $135
    Car Payment $200
    Gas $125
    Utilities $135 - phone, heat

1500 - 1270 = 230$

It’s 2019

7+ Year Old Account
    Universal Basic Income UBI what do you think it should be where you are? Personally I think it should be based on a percentage not a fixed number meaning cost of living adjustmented (COLA), Or median income level.

I also believe there should be regional restrictions.
    Nah it can't have regional conditions otherwise it's not universal. Also it can't be based on cost of living because then everyone would move to the most expensive places like Manhatten and then get 400% more than people who live in rural or suburban areas. Yang has it right in terms of an across the board flat sum.

- - - Updated - - -

Like I said that wouldn't work since everybody would move to the most expensive areas to get the most money and nicest environment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    Rofl. Who would pay for that? Tons of people would quit working for 60k a year. I honestly have trouble telling if li reals are trolls or for real. Make your own money or rot in the gutter, that's my method.
    Yeah we have that and not it doesn’t work even people working. If we fill prisons with these people it cost 35 to 60. Thousand to do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    Wow Celista agrees with me in this? Are you coming over to the dark side?
    No, we talked about UBI during my econ classes in undergrad and it was generally agreed upon that UBI would just lead to inflation and do nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    No because all that does is allow everyone to move to the most expensive areas...
    Why would it do that? People move for work, which impacts COL; if they are presumably not working because of automation (which I don't believe will happen, at least not in our lifetimes) then people will want to spread out more.

You know, not everyone lives in expensive areas because they enjoy crowded city life, it's because that's where the jobs are.

If UBI removed all other welfare programs and it was just barly enough to survive then fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Nah it can't have regional conditions otherwise it's not universal. Also it can't be based on cost of living because then everyone would move to the most expensive places like Manhatten and then get 400% more than people who live in rural or suburban areas. Yang has it right in terms of an across the board flat sum.
    I disagree with that it can be universal basic income. But basic isn’t a specific amount because all regions aren’t the same. It’s why minimum wage I think is a bad idea too.

It should be based on cost of living and percentage so it doesn’t have to be legislated over and over.

Yeah, the math just doesn't seem to work on UBI.

7+ Year Old Account
    Why would it do that? People move for work, which impacts COL; if they are presumably not working because of automation (which I don't believe will happen, at least not in our lifetimes) then people will want to spread out more.

You know, not everyone lives in expensive areas because they enjoy crowded city life, it's because that's where the jobs are.
    Okay but if you move to work in a cost efficient place you shouldnt get less than someone who chooses to live in an expensive place like Hollywood.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    If UBI removed all other welfare programs and it was just enough to survive then fine.
    I think that’s the general idea. But I think it also goes to those already working and encourages work. It also puts pressure on other governments to do the same. More governments taking care of their own less people needing to migrate anywhere else.

Lol honestly one time I agree with you. Although I’m told this is a little different. I think most programs you have to be a single mother. UBI is for anyone below the poverty line. But again I agree with your point.

The only way I’d be against this is if it’s not audited and managed.

For example I’d prefer it be credit not cash and it should be adjusted for where you are. Some places 1000 is too much others not nearly enough.

When I started out 1500 a month was hard as fuck. Not sure if it could be done now.

Rent $550
    food $150
    Car Insurance $135
    Car Payment $200
    Gas $125
    Utilities $135 - phone, heat

1500 - 1270 = 230$

It’s 2019
    I'm a little more recent when I was on my own in 2017.

$950 rent, $70 electric, $120 insurance (just liability), owned a beater so no car. $60 for my phone, $70 rent, $130-160 for food.

$1430 a month, was on $900 every 2 weeks, so I was making it.

Issue with national UBI, national minimum wage, ect. $1000 aint shit in denver, $1000 can get you a house in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    If UBI removed all other welfare programs and it was just barly enough to survive then fine.
    that;s actually Andrew Yang's UBI proposal. the UBI eats into welfare, if you get 1400 in welfare, you get 1000 ubi, 400 welfare after

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Yeah, the math just doesn't seem to work on UBI.
    What to mean? Near as I can tell we are already spending it one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasuuna View Post
    I'm a little more recent when I was on my own in 2017.

$950 rent, $70 electric, $120 insurance (just liability), owned a beater so no car. $60 for my phone, $70 rent, $130-160 for food.

$1430 a month, was on $900 every 2 weeks, so I was making it.

Issue with national UBI, national minimum wage, ect. $1000 aint shit in denver, $1000 can get you a house in the country.

that;s actually Andrew Yang's UBI proposal. the UBI eats into welfare, if you get 1400 in welfare, you get 1000 ubi, 400 welfare after
    I actually respect andrew yang. He would be a democrat I can vote for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    The more the better.

Also it should be implemented in a large city or a state first. Why? To test how the markets adapt and if it's feasible.

Needless to say, but UBI needs to be coupled with restrictions and regulations so the prices don't rise immediately as the buying power increases.

Economy as we have it today should be a relic of the past that we need to keep alive fora a few more years while we work proper alternatives out.
    First time I completely agree with you.

Finland did this but honestly whether it worked there or not and I’m sure it did. I care more about how or why it worked. Truth is UBI might not be able to work other places the same way. For reasons you laid out.