Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ...
8
16
17
18
19
20
28
... LastLast
  1. #341
    Anung un Rama Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    58,649
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    That's a really ironic statement from the guy who ignored everyone telling him that it was his fault he thought the okay sign is white supremacy.
    I know it's easy to make shit up, but I'm not actually your personal straw man.

  2. #342
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd12345 View Post
    endus there is an easy explanation for this talking point https://www.breitbart.com/national-s...ot-christians/

    its front page, no suprise theo the resident ethno nationalist brings it up and dextroden who has a criminally bad take on every topic chimes in
    God that comment section reads like a piece of shit forum focus on a holy war.

    So much focus on religion, makes me wonder if neither side is actually sane "anymore". As if our problems are the words we use to describe Christians and/or Muslims.
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2019-04-22 at 03:43 PM.

  3. #343
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    First, who else would they be but Christians? It's a Christian holiday.

    Second, no, it would be like referring to a shooting of a mosque during Ramadan as "an attack on Ramadan worshippers".

    Which is exactly how stuff like that gets reported sometimes;
    https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-40343485
    Except that the story tagged "Finsbury Park mosque attack" didn't say that. The original story reported that "A man who drove a van into a crowd of Muslims near a London mosque".

    The linked story says that there were roses for the ones participating in Ramadan, not an attack on them.

    Searching for Ramadan attacks is more likely to find the Orlando shooting, and other Islamic State linked terrorism attacks - even on mosques in e.g. Kuwait.

  4. #344
    The Undying Themius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    32,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    Let's keep pretending this isn't the typical religion of peace attack, I can jump to any conclusion I want.
    Christians have had their churches destroyed in several Buddhist attacks recently. So when a church attack happens why would you instantly assume Muslim in a country that has more Buddhist extremist attacks?

  5. #345
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Christians have had their churches destroyed in several Buddhist attacks recently. So when a church attack happens why would you instantly assume Muslim in a country that has more Buddhist extremist attacks?
    Do Buddhist extremist use suicide bombers?

  6. #346
    The Unstoppable Force zenkai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    US
    Posts
    21,447
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Jews celebrate Passover at the same time. Some Russian Jews also celebrate both because why not... we still see it as a Christian thing though and do it more out of respect.
    but it's not the same, it's like saying Christmas and chanukah is the same.
    For some people, everything is a moral question. If you agree with them, you are virtuous. If you don't, you are a monster.
    Proof Elizabeth Warren lied about being Native American
    A Congress woman who doesn't know the 3 branches of Government.
    Now that's funny!

  7. #347
    Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    Nah, language IS important. Easter worshipers is actively trying to distance yourself from mentioning a specific religious group.

    I have also condemned Omar for failing to be specific about 9/11, while she had no issues being specific about AIPAC and the Israel lobby AT ALL. These are signs of deeply held beliefs and it's pretty much how our minds navigate around complex, conflicting issues.

    Being specific about this type of stuff is GOOD. This is why I praised her and made 2 topics about her criticism of AIPAC.

    Mentioning Omar because here we have exactly the same thing. It's quite clear to me that whomever is unwilling to mention Christianity by name when its followers are hurt does this in an attempt to not offer ammunition to a group that is otherwise perceived as privileged.

    I think people need to be specific and simply tell the truth. And you know this too, just as you know how important and powerful language is. There's a reason we fight so much around definitions and notions and words.
    And I think we're overstating the issue here. I find it hard pressed to believe anyone who is just your regular Joe cares about whether we're calling them Christians or Easter worshippers, whatever the fuck that is tbh.

    I have the feeling that world leaders have started to adapt their language for the few thousand vocal minorities, worldwide mind you, around social media.

    What a smokescreen in order to never discuss the real issues.

  8. #348
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Christians have had their churches destroyed in several Buddhist attacks recently. So when a church attack happens why would you instantly assume Muslim in a country that has more Buddhist extremist attacks?
    Not instantly - but Buddhist have also been attacked by Muslims recently, but more importantly the original stories mentioned international terrorism-help - which seemed to implicate NTJ and returning Islamic State fighters, not buddhist help from India.

    However, the Sri Lankan government is now openly saying that it is likely NTJ with international Jihadist support.

  9. #349
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I know it's easy to make shit up, but I'm not actually your personal straw man.
    Oh dear. Endus lying to save face.

    If I had a nickel...

  10. #350
    Stood in the Fire Heran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Indonesia/Singapore
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Christians have had their churches destroyed in several Buddhist attacks recently. So when a church attack happens why would you instantly assume Muslim in a country that has more Buddhist extremist attacks?
    M.O. is not that of buddhist extremists.

  11. #351
    Merely a Setback Connal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    29,239
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    but it's not the same, it's like saying Christmas and chanukah is the same.
    Agreed... I just meant that most Jews don’t celebrate it at all, and those that do still see it as a Christian holiday.
    Vocatus atque non vocatus, deus aderit.

  12. #352
    The Undying Themius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    32,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    Do Buddhist extremist use suicide bombers?
    Tamil Tigers are an example of radical hindus using suicide bombers.

    The Buddhist there tend to just attack, kill, and destroy than blow themselves up.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Heran View Post
    M.O. is not that of buddhist extremists.
    No, but it is that of the previous radical liberation group that was mostly hindu.

    It is important to note though that religion is very closely tied to ethnicity in Sri Lanka.

  13. #353
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    Do Buddhist extremist use suicide bombers?
    Not commonly as far as I recall. Some buddhist extremist use suicide as a method (especially self-immolation) - and some use violence, but it doesn't seem as if they combine the two.

  14. #354
    Stood in the Fire Heran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Indonesia/Singapore
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    No, but it is that of the previous radical liberation group that was mostly hindu.

    It is important to note though that religion is very closely tied to ethnicity in Sri Lanka.
    First you say Buddhist extremists then when I point out that's not their M. O. you switch to Hindu. That's just hilarious.

  15. #355
    The Undying Themius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    32,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Heran View Post
    First you say Buddhist extremists then when I point out that's not their M. O. you switch to Hindu. That's just hilarious.
    The point is that saying "it must be muslims because they used suicide bombs" is foolish and short sighted.
    being Sri Lanka had shit tons of suicide bomb attacks not from muslims but hindus means you are ignoring the history of that specific country.

  16. #356
    Stood in the Fire Heran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Indonesia/Singapore
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    The point is that saying "it must be muslims because they used suicide bombs"

    meanwhile Sri Lanka had shit tons of suicide bomb attacks not from muslims but hindus means you are ignoring the history of that specific country.
    The M. O. points to Muslims. I don't know why you think this is a problem to notice.

  17. #357
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Tamil Tigers are an example of radical hindus using suicide bombers.
    ...
    It is important to note though that religion is very closely tied to ethnicity in Sri Lanka.
    Following that I thought that the Tamil Tigers were more secular than Hindu, although they were from a Hindu-ethnicity. There were also early on indications that they weren't guilty of this.

  18. #358
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd12345 View Post
    https://twitter.com/petemont/status/1120316542938419201

    yikes, trust you and the rest of the bro rogan brigade to be giving equally dumb takes.

    are you theo and connal all the same account or something?
    Chop of one head. Two more grow back.

    Hail Clown World.

  19. #359
    Stood in the Fire Heran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Indonesia/Singapore
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    Following that I thought that the Tamil Tigers were more secular than Hindu, although they were from a Hindu-ethnicity. There were also early on indications that they weren't guilty of this.
    It's also ignoring...

    The group favored hard targets over soft targets. The use of child soldiers was prevalent ,though Tamil politicians, analysts, and journalists we interviewed claimed that teenage LTTE recruits were never used in the frontlines, as Black Tigers, or in infantry units. Interestingly, senior Sri Lankan military officers we spoke to admitted that suicide bombing was a legitimate use of force against hard military targets.

  20. #360
    Merely a Setback Connal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    29,239
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd12345 View Post
    https://twitter.com/petemont/status/1120316542938419201

    yikes, trust you and the rest of the bro rogan brigade to be giving equally dumb takes.

    are you theo and connal all the same account or something?
    He does not like it, that’s nice for him, the difference in language still stands. And Easter Worshiper sounds strange to my ear as well.

    Passover Worshippers would sound weird as well, instead of “Jews”.
    Vocatus atque non vocatus, deus aderit.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •