Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Genuine question regarding YouTube videos

Hello everyone

I have a question regarding all these posts and debates about YouTubers comments about 8.2 or wow in general.

Why do they have such a following? I have never once watched any of these videos all the way through. Hell I have barely watched any of them. I read the patch notes and make my own opinion on the content. When did it change that just a handful of people seem to control the entire dialogue of what people think on the game?

Genuinely curious

Why develop and create your own opinion when you can watch a helpful 10-minute video which succinctly sums up your own confirmation bias instead?

Lol are u guys denying thd game is bad.
    Everyone who thinks the game is bad will gravitate to youtubers who think the same, its not the youtubers deciding what they feel lol wtf?

people lost the ability to think for themselves a long time ago. im not even talking about wow. if someone popular says something, its like the word of god.

Quote Originally Posted by letssee View Post
    Everyone who thinks the game is bad will gravitate to youtubers who think the same, its not the youtubers deciding what they feel lol wtf?
    Here's the thing.

I think the game has some major issues yes, I do not always agree with the story or class direction, I think some of the more recent mechanics added are counter productive to the longevity of the game, but on the whole I do not think the game is bad. I think it is incredibly naïve to think you either have to love the game or think it is awful and there is no middle ground

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyDPS View Post
    Hello everyone

I have a question regarding all these posts and debates about YouTubers comments about 8.2 or wow in general.

Why do they have such a following? I have never once watched any of these videos all the way through. Hell I have barely watched any of them. I read the patch notes and make my own opinion on the content. When did it change that just a handful of people seem to control the entire dialogue of what people think on the game?

Genuinely curious
    There's a category among youtubers/streamers that have only ever had drama and shit-stirring to contribute, and that appeals to the edgelords.

There's another category that at times do useful content but are savvy enough to know they get viewer spikes if they bring the occasional drama from time to time.

As far as viewers/players/posters who identify with them, some people just like that others are saying things that echo their stance, others are pathetic borderline deficient humans who derive a feeling of accomplishment or belonging by agreeing with someone more than them.
    @thwart <- don't click this and learn his shame
    Newsflash: 2016 Thwart would hate 2019 Thwart! Definitely don't click this either!

We see you.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I am absolutely a jerk, a complete cunt. But I encourage you to rise above.

Quote Originally Posted by letssee View Post
    I don't think the game is bad, I think BfA is bad. BfA is a lost cause but WoW itself is salvageable.

Genuine answer.
    Don't pretend to be dumb... or don't be dumb.

If you are interested in say fishing, you will go fishing and probably watch fishing channels, or read fishing magazines. Read about the "state of fishing" (ehh ), fishing places, join fishing communities on facebook etc. You could surely google for yourself where to go fishing, how to fish, what new products are on the market, and bore your wife to death about your fishing adventures.
    Watching someone talking about the hobby you and they share doesn't mean you agree with them. Doesn't mean you worship them (there are worshippers or fans tho). They might think the same you thought before you even clicked the video. You might disagree. Or agree and catch yourself never thinking about the subject the same way they brought up. What's the difference between sitting down with your friends or guildies and talk about the game or listening to a "youtuber's" opinion about it? It's just a voice in the ocean of voices.
    Labelling people as brainless sheeps and non thinking idiots just because they watch someone's videos to get an angle or just get news or anything is stupid and ignorant, and you probably know it.

Grow
    The
    Fuck
    Up
    Last edited by Lei; 2019-04-21 at 09:15 PM.

Some YouTubeers play at a high lvl and play many classes and test ptr. Alot of people don't have time for that i personally like preach cause he dosent get paid by YouTube anymore so he tells it like it is no need to make shut up for views.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    I don't think the game is bad, I think BfA is bad. BfA is a lost cause but WoW itself is salvageable.
    not unless they change some major core game systems which i very much doubt, no matter how good the content is, as long as the systems are bad the game will keep dying

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyscale View Post
    The dev team itself has shifted from written blogs to video Q&As to appear more "modern" and (I'd imagine) to reach the audience that doesn't have patience to read anymore
    That is a huge mystery to me. How can anyone have patience to watch a 1 hour video instead of spending 5 minutes to read its summary in text? I watched their Q&A few times just to perfect my listening English skills, but I would rather read the summary in MMO-C next day instead. Are people forgot how to read or what? May be their target audience is 4 year children who did not learn reading yet? Not even saying about people whos English is not first language and they probably can read it, but not listen. Thankfully fan sites transcribe everything yet.

Quote Originally Posted by vsb View Post
    That is a huge mystery to me. How can anyone have patience to watch a 1 hour video instead of spending 5 minutes to read its summary in text? I watched their Q&A few times just to perfect my listening English skills, but I would rather read the summary in MMO-C next day instead. Are people forgot how to read or what? May be their target audience is 4 year children who did not learn reading yet? Not even saying about people whos English is not first language and they probably can read it, but not listen. Thankfully fan sites transcribe everything yet.
    I listen to these in the background. I play in the meantime or I do the dishes or clean the house. The beauty of multitasking. Right now I'm listening to preach's drama friday in the background, I have a book open on my second monitor, and I'm replying to this thread.
    Last edited by Lei; 2019-04-21 at 09:28 PM.

Is it our job to explain you basic anthropology?

I take it you are at least 10 years old, in all that time have you still not figured out that people are social creatures that like the - how ever defined - companionship of like-minded people? That they like to have someone else more popular/credible speak for them because the times of ancient greece are over and having everyone voice their opinion is simply no longer feasible? That people are simply lazy and someone else might have already made the argument for them?

I think the game is bad right now, but I also think it's weird that people on Youtube are making money off of making clickbait title videos making a bigger deal about issues in the game than they actually are. And it's like they just keep pumping them out and I keep getting them recommended to me over and over again, it just gets old and annoying.

There is something about an articulate monologue that reinforces one's preconceived views on the world that humans just can't quite get enough of. WoW is hardly the only place this happens.
    Last edited by Reiry; 2019-04-21 at 09:42 PM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's not everybody, but a good deal of people gravitate towards people who hold similar opinions, you see this in politics as well. It's a way to feel validated in your own opinions, all the while surrounding yourself with like minded individuals. Basically, your opinion probably won't get challenged. It's gets to be a giant echo chamber and any semblance of a well articulated argument is completely drowned out. If you have your own opinion on what classic WoW should be, and it's not the 'norm' don't be surprised if you get backlash when posting in those type of communities. On a similar note, it's popular to say that BFA is complete and utter trash. If you deviate from that, or say anything positive about BFA, you'll be labeled a shill and have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

Again, the above just doesn't happen with WoW, you can very clearly see it with politics as well. The internet is just a very easy way to reach like minded individuals and collectively shove them all in their own little bubbles. If you live in a rural community like I do, it's pretty difficult to find like minded individuals (at least in regards to hobbies). On the internet, it's pretty fucking easy though.

One thing that you tend to notice is that if somebody doesn't like something (especially in this age with social media) they will let you know almost immediately. People who are content with something probably aren't going to go out of the way to let people know how much like they something.

I don't watch these videos, but I can certainly see the appeal.. at least for some of them. If you don't have a lot of time to research shit and just want a pretty simple TLDR, that makes perfect sense to me. On the subject of WoW though? Anyone who is anyone has either heard of the game and has played it, or has no interest in playing it. With MMOs you play them enough to know if something hits certain buttons for you or not, to the point that looking to someone else to breakdown why you shouldn't like something seems a bit silly to me.

Is WoW bad in general? That depends on what you find enjoyable in the game. For someone like myself whose sole focus is dungeons/raids, it would be completely disingenuous for me to claim that the game is bad right now. Can I see why others dislike the game though? Absolutely. I just personally feel that in a game like this, where people have sunk thousands of hours into, that they don't need personalities to validate their feelings on the game. Basically, like it or not, everybody who still plays this game is an expert (at least as far as what's important to them).

To each their own though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Why develop and create your own opinion when you can watch a helpful 10-minute video which succinctly sums up your own confirmation bias instead?
    Until you watch videos that are of your opposing viewpoint and you disagree with them. Your argument falls apart there.

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyDPS View Post
    Hello everyone

Genuinely curious
    I think you're making the mistake of assuming that everyone just watches a video and immediately replaces their own opinions and thoughts with what's being said in the video. That's kind of a dark and cynical view of the world in general, and has a grain of truth. There ARE a lot of people who do that. Who seek what they believe is an authority on any given topic, and immediately jump on that person's bandwagon.

But just as many people seek out different opinions in order to get a new perspective on a subject that they haven't considered before. I personally follow 4 or 5 different youtubers that talk about the gaming industry as a whole because they often bring up points that I might not have thought of on my own. Often times I even disagree with what they're saying, but it still gets me to thinking about a topic in a new light.

Why do they have a following? Why does anyone have a following? Politicians, entertainers, even friends have something about them that other people like or find interesting. Why do watch a particular TV show or movie? Likely because you find the content or topic interesting. It's no different with Youtubers or Streamers.

I like the "BUT DURR YOUR GET BIASED OPNION FROM VIDEO DURR" crowd {90% of them are whiteknighting any wow negative aspect -ed}

Like if you couldn't have the SAME OPINION of the guys in the video.

rofl

10+ Year Old Account
    People agreeing with them doesn't automatically mean that their opinions were "controlled" by the youtubers... People form their opinions and then seek out others that share their opinion, especially if their opinion involves trying to get something changed, because a larger group saying the same thing has a lot bigger chance of getting noticed by the people who can make the changes than an individual. Chances are those people viewing the youtuber's video held that opinion long before they ever saw the video, they likely found the video because they already held that opinion, either through the video showing up in forum discussions on the topic or by searching google for things related to it.

It's the exact same reason people make threads about issues on the official forums, and post in those threads. They are trying to get their opinion on the issue noticed and gather the support of others who share similar views.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2019-04-21 at 10:34 PM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.