Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostyfire14 View Post
    Everyone is completely over-rating Classic. It's a terrible game. And I've played WoW since May 2005. It will not kill any other game, including its sister LIVE server.
    Why did you keep playing terrible game for 14 years?
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    When an orc eats an orc, two orcs rip out of the orcs stomach, they eat each other and a brand new orc walks through the door, and then his chest explodes and 20 full grown orcs crawl out of his body. They then eat each other and the bodies until there are 3 orcs left. The mystery of the orc reproduction cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post
    Why did you keep playing terrible game for 14 years?
    I don't think s/he played classic for 14 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    I don't think s/he played classic for 14 years.
    He tried the game in vanilla, decided its terrible, and kept playing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    When an orc eats an orc, two orcs rip out of the orcs stomach, they eat each other and a brand new orc walks through the door, and then his chest explodes and 20 full grown orcs crawl out of his body. They then eat each other and the bodies until there are 3 orcs left. The mystery of the orc reproduction cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by jonatron View Post
    So since classic requires a bigger time investement than current wow (for casuals atleast) and since you can only play one game at a time.

I was wondering if once classic is released and everyone and their mothers will be playing it.. won't it have a negative effect on current wow playerbase and ingame activity ?

Classic still requires a sub to current wow to be played so the blizzard numbers won't realistically show who is playing what but i think Blizz might actually accidentally schoot current wow in the foot by dividing the playerbase.

I'm not waiting for wow to die in any form nor do i think it will truly die anytime soon, but with all mmo's released since launch i believe that Wow classic has the biggest chance to do what has been repeated on these forums each time a compareable mmo releases.

Will blizzard be able to convince us to play the xpac after bfa instead of classic ? for now i don't think so.

Update: Given the answers, classic wow might be the thing current retail needs to fill in the content gaps between patches and expansions.
    Both of them being on the same sub might even be a blessing instead of a curse.

Thanks for the answers and sorry if i triggered anyone with my now only 3 posts
    LMFAO! cmon now you and i know that won't happen.

No wow is not dying or getting killed.
    No you will not win a price for having confirmed this on mmo champ.

Except the mmo-champ fanboys that praise classic to be a work of God, the vast majority of people I've spoken to thinks that classic seems like trash.

The thing that made classic great was the people/community/amount of players, the game itself was beyond awful.

I, personally, will go to Classic and never look back unless a future expac is the greatest in MMO history. I just really dislike the ARPG direction WoW has been going in for a few years. It's more Diablo 3 than Everquest today, and that's not what i'm after in an MMORPG.

I'd take a slower, everquest style game with worse gameplay but more meaningful progression over the mess we have at endgame in live.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    It's hardly "millions", much less "tens of millions".

Those who weren't interested in playing WoW in 2004, are highly unlikely to want to play 2004 WoW today.
    Those who stopped playing for any other reason than "it's not vanilla WoW anymore" are also highly unlikely to return.

Said reasons include, but aren't restricted to:
    • They don't like vanilla WoW but stopped because 'expansion X' brought a change they didn't like;
    • They now have family and/or a job to worry about;
    • They're no longer interested in gaming;
    • They're no longer interested in MMOs;
    • They're no longer interested in WoW;
    • Their friends no longer play WoW.

Classic WoW is being made for those who like how WoW was in 2004-2006.

Not for those who were never interested.
    Not for those who stopped playing for any reason other than "it's not vanilla WoW anymore."

The "target audience" is actually much smaller than you make it out to be.

I don't find that "unreasonable". I'm just saying you greatly overestimate the size of said "segment".
    What about those that:

• Loved vanilla WoW but stopped because 'expansion X' brought a change they didn't like;
    • They now have a solid career, kids older doing their own thing, and have plenty of free time, you act like only 14 year olds played Vanilla... to the contrary, there was a large portion of players who were adults.;
    • They're looking for something exciting to play once again;
    • They're missing the fun they had in WoW's successful MMO, and other MMOs just didn't have the same appeal;
    • They're intrigued by a return of WoW and being a part of a brand new Azeroth;
    • Their friends are coming back to play Classic WoW.

Also, what about current players who are WoW zealots that never played Vanilla who want to so they can experience the entire WoW experience?

What about the MANY adults who played early WoW (I started at 38 in early TBC) and now kids are grown and out of the house, career is at it's peak, I have plenty of free time and vacation time to play a game I once loved passionately).

What about the adults who have kids who are getting to the age of gaming and want to share an experience they loved with them? (multiple accounts)

What about those people who can tell you they have talked to their old WoW buddies and many of them are excited to play Classic?

Of course I don't expect to see 10 million players return to play Classic... but could 1 million? 2? 5? Yeah, possibly. And that'd fine with me. Single servers alive with people who love the game and are passionate about playing it? Sign me up... that is something that is missing from current WoW.

In a few months we'll see just how many people play Classic.
    Last edited by Maudib; 2019-05-01 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heph47 View Post
    Play it through in a couple of months? Did you mean years? Only a fraction of the content will be available in the first two months, and you won't even be able to get through all of that in a 2 month time frame.
    Gated or staggered content? I thought we didn't like that. Now I'm confused.

Current WoW is pretty much dead already. BFA is terrible, not even 8.2 can save it at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Retail is doing a damn fine job of running itself into the ground right now. Doesn't need any assistance.
    Yeah. The classic community is splintered into so many factions who all want "their" vision of classic to be the one and will feel betrayed if/when it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    I think Blizzard knows very well that Classic will outshine BfA... especially since it will release in a winding down time for BfA.

What they will be caught off guard about is how many people would rather stay in Classic than play a new expansion. Although there will be enough people playing both to warrant keeping it up.

Blizzard doesn't care WHAT you play.. as long as you keep paying. I also suspect they will use Classic TBC as another placeholder after the next expansion is in wind down mode.

It'll be a teeter totter effect.
    £5 says classic will be a ghost town 1 year after release.

What people want is wow 2.0 not wow 0.5, easiest way to tell is look at the rest of the mmo market atm, MMOS that have the most difference from wow are growing with the exodus, where as wow clones and even classic wow clones are all dead or dieing.

Wow current is shit, wow classic was also still shit. They need to do something invoative and bring wow into 2019 not put it back into 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahlah View Post
    There's a reason most developers use macs which has to do with coding value and not just some oversimplified argument regarding price tag and because of this I have a mac laptop for my work in the tech industry
    honestly pissed my self laughing, macs for software dev...yea right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyorkbourne View Post
    Gated or staggered content? I thought we didn't like that. Now I'm confused.
    You are confused because it's not gated or staggered content. It's just being released as it was originally and originally that content wasn't staggered or gated. They are recreating Vanilla so not releasing everything at once isn't gating nor staggering in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Agrias2x View Post
    You are confused because it's not gated or staggered content. It's just being released as it was originally and originally that content wasn't staggered or gated. They are recreating Vanilla so not releasing everything at once isn't gating nor staggering in this case.
    They have straight up said content will be released in 6 different phases. That is what is known as a staggered release of content. Yes, it wasn't staggered in Vanilla because the content didn't exist in Vanilla until they made it. That isn't the case in what will be close to a 15 year old game once it releases. They could absolutely release all the content that Vanilla had by 1.12 on day 1, but the only way to make Classic feel like the original game is to, quite literally, stagger the release of content.

Staggered content releases aren't inherently a bad thing but I can understand why you might fight against that perception considering the WoW community has a hatred for anything that might even resemble content being artificially held back.

if vanilla goes anything close to the way that oldschool runescape did then, well, i'll let the numbers do the talking

http://www.misplaceditems.com/rs_tools/graph/

People will try classic after achieving their current expansion goals like pushing glad, getting mythic kills etc.

Sadly classic is just demo of wow, it lacks many features that people find "must have".

Also classic will sonner or later end but current wow will have few new expansions

Classic wont be alive long enough to see real one die.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

I will play classic as long as there is an active community. People tend to forget that MMOs were the first "social media" platforms, long before facebook and twitter garbage. The reason we played Everquest was the social aspect (plus, obvs, the fantasy RPG elements). There were FAR better single-player games. And there are currently FAR better single-player games than WoW... which makes me shake my head when every expansion pushes WoW further into the realm of "really bad single-player game" ...

I feel like "pristine" servers might have been a better solution (with some better design decision with each new expansion...) because the biggest problem with WoW is x-server bullshit. But that wouldn't have worked, I guess. The game was just too far gone for anyone to care about that (and the blizzard design ethos, from top to bottom since wotlk, has been to make WoW a single-player game).

As long as the community exists (and it will be WAY better than retail), and as long as my name and reputation MEANS something, and as long as I need others to succeed at even a basic level, then that's where I will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    £5 says classic will be a ghost town 1 year after release.

What people want is wow 2.0 not wow 0.5, easiest way to tell is look at the rest of the mmo market atm, MMOS that have the most difference from wow are growing with the exodus, where as wow clones and even classic wow clones are all dead or dieing.

Wow current is shit, wow classic was also still shit. They need to do something invoative and bring wow into 2019 not put it back into 2005
    Yoiu could very well be correct. But at least it will last a year compared to being a ghost town in 3-6 months like live. Heck BfA started as a ghosttown. If it weren't for CRZ... the game would appear empty to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by jonatron View Post
    So since classic requires a bigger time investement than current wow (for casuals atleast) and since you can only play one game at a time.

I was wondering if once classic is released and everyone and their mothers will be playing it.. won't it have a negative effect on current wow playerbase and ingame activity ?

Classic still requires a sub to current wow to be played so the blizzard numbers won't realistically show who is playing what but i think Blizz might actually accidentally schoot current wow in the foot by dividing the playerbase.

I'm not waiting for wow to die in any form nor do i think it will truly die anytime soon, but with all mmo's released since launch i believe that Wow classic has the biggest chance to do what has been repeated on these forums each time a compareable mmo releases.

Will blizzard be able to convince us to play the xpac after bfa instead of classic ? for now i don't think so.

Update: Given the answers, classic wow might be the thing current retail needs to fill in the content gaps between patches and expansions.
    Both of them being on the same sub might even be a blessing instead of a curse.

Thanks for the answers and sorry if i triggered anyone with my now only 3 posts
    The very nature of classic will push a lot of people away from it. A lot complain about current wow, but I see a lot of things that will push your average player away.

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    Yoiu could very well be correct. But at least it will last a year compared to being a ghost town in 3-6 months like live. Heck BfA started as a ghosttown. If it weren't for CRZ... the game would appear empty to everyone.
    Yea. I just feel we have seen all this befor, I mean it feels like I'm listening to all the wildstar fan boys all over again and we know what happend with that, people in the end didn't have the time to dedicate what it took at the left and the whole thing flopped.

Add to that the observation it's the non wow clone MMOs that the wow refugees are going to, just my gut but I think people want wow to innovate, it's boring a stale, but classic was also boring and stale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahlah View Post
    There's a reason most developers use macs which has to do with coding value and not just some oversimplified argument regarding price tag and because of this I have a mac laptop for my work in the tech industry
    honestly pissed my self laughing, macs for software dev...yea right.