Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ...
3
11
12
13
14
15
LastLast
  1. #241
    Quote Originally Posted by Senel View Post
    There are actually people that believe Classic will kill Retail? Shit...
    My sentiments exactly...

    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Exactly. Can you even kill what is already dead?
    This is just as silly though. Current WoW is certainly not as popular as it used to be, but calling it "dead" is silly.

  2. #242
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    A new episode of "Game of thrones" itself isn't "brand new", since, like you pointed out, it brings out same actors, same locations, etc... but not the "same storyline". You won't be the exact same storyline you saw in the third episode of season 2, for example.

    New episodes' story lines are new because they're not the "same storyline", but a continuation of it.


    Unlike Game of Thrones... yes, it will. What happened in vanilla WoW will happen the same way in Classic WoW. The same villains will do the exact same thing in Classic as they did in vanilla, the same heroes will do the exact same thing in Classic as they did in vanilla. Leveling will work the same way in Classic as it did in vanilla. Rading will work the same way in Classic as it did in vanilla. Etc...


    Unless you played on pirate servers that had different inherent xp/loot/gold boosts or that altered the story or anything else... yes, you played "vanilla WoW", because they were no different that the original version


    It's not. You're basically saying that re-heating the leftovers of yesterday's lunch makes it a "brand new" meal.
    Gosh man.. thanks for clearing that up. You;re right it's the same old game. What was I thinking. I'm totally NOT interested in playing that.

    I mean I'd be totally odwn if it were a new server, fresh, and brand new. but... ph wait.

    It is brand new in my opinion which is the one i like to play games based on.

  3. #243
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    My sentiments exactly...



    This is just as silly though. Current WoW is certainly not as popular as it used to be, but calling it "dead" is silly.
    Looked pretty dead to me last time I logged in.. even with Blizzard destroying server identity and smashing them all together to hide their ghost town of a game, only a huge fat whale with rocks for eyes wouldn't notice that they're definitely below 1M subs.

    I know you people hate the idea of playing a dead game but it's time you move past your own bias and embrace the reality that you're playing a very boring and unpopular game. There's nothing wrong with playing that kind of game though.

    I just think it's time to stop pretending you're not. You're only doing the game and especially yourself a disservice.
    Last edited by tikcol; 2019-05-01 at 08:18 PM.

  4. #244
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Looked pretty dead to me last time I logged in.. even with Blizzard destroying server identity and smashing them all together to hide their ghost town of a game, only a huge fat whale with rocks for eyes wouldn't notice that they're definitely below 1M subs.

    I know you people hate the idea of playing a dead game but it's time you move past your own bias and embrace the reality that you're playing a very boring and unpopular game. There's nothing wrong with playing that kind of game though.

    I just think it's time to stop pretending you're not. You're only doing the game and especially yourself a disservice.
    I have to agree... furing the "free weekend" I logged in to purchase 10 game tokens for when Classic launches. While there I thought I'd have a looksee.

    It was dead... only the main cities has any real activity and it was 90% people from other servers. Not even from my linked server.

    I mean it's fine if people are into that. But I really enjoyed logging in and seeing people I leveld with, ran dungeons with, raided with, guildies, old guildes... you know people I "knew".

    I did have one thrill. I saw an old acquaintance with his multibox setup.. something like 20 DKs. I asked him if he was playing.. and he said Nope... just popped on because of the free weekend.

    No thanks.. I would rather play 15 year old content with a game that still has all the things I enjoy about an MMORPG.. with people I recognize. WE make the game.

  5. #245
    Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    No... I also know that Blizzard made the business decision to produce and release Classic. I'm pretty sure they are counting on more than me and a few of my friends.
    Actually, they told us it's a tiny effort and likened it more to a museum piece. They don't seem to be expecting to make much profit off it.

  6. #246
    Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    Gosh man.. thanks for clearing that up. You;re right it's the same old game. What was I thinking. I'm totally NOT interested in playing that.
    Strawman much? I never said you're "not interested in playing Classic" or anything to that effect.

    I simply questioned your erroneous use of "brand new", which is an objectively wrong adjective to give to an unaltered re-release of a product, which is the case of Classic WoW.
    Is there anything from vanilla WoW you are not looking forward to despite your hype for Classic? Come and tell us what it is.

  7. #247
    I will probably raid log live, and play classic otherwise. Sad state of affairs tbh.

    I get why they made the decisions that they did along the way, but they killed a lot of what made wow great.

    Quality of life to a lot of people was not having to play the game. They need to separate game difficulty at the realm level if they want to fix the modern game.

  8. #248
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Looked pretty dead to me last time I logged in.. even with Blizzard destroying server identity and smashing them all together to hide their ghost town of a game, only a huge fat whale with rocks for eyes wouldn't notice that they're definitely below 1M subs.

    I know you people hate the idea of playing a dead game but it's time you move past your own bias and embrace the reality that you're playing a very boring and unpopular game. There's nothing wrong with playing that kind of game though.

    I just think it's time to stop pretending you're not. You're only doing the game and especially yourself a disservice.
    I'm simply stating that a game that still has active players (so what if it's less than 1 million? which i doubt anyway, but wouldn't be too surprised if it was close), is still releasing patches on a regular schedule and has the support it does from the studio really can't be called "dead."

    I understand that it's declining and is likely at an all time low and it's not as popular, but that =/= dead. Calling it "dead" is an exaggeration, that's all I'm saying.

    I'd wager it still has at LEAST a population close to the population of FFXIV which is a huge success and has less than a million active users (~600,000 according to the April 2019 census stats). And FFXIV is certainly not "dead" either.

  9. #249
    Classic will never kill Current, because it's very different, and while I didn't like the systems in BFA, I still love the art / lore / music of wow, I will want to see where the new expansions go.

  10. #250
    Quote Originally Posted by Castration View Post
    yes, games like Age of Conan are coming out soon and will also kill WoW.
    Lol no games have been trying for years now to kill wow and all have failed. The only thing that can kill wow is blizzard themselves and they are not far off from it.

  11. #251
    Dreadlord Frostyfire14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    757
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post
    He tried the game in vanilla, decided its terrible, and kept playing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Classic was AAA for its time. Nothing like it. Then they modernized it and made it super friendly, and casual.

  12. #252
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Strawman much? I never said you're "not interested in playing Classic" or anything to that effect.

    I simply questioned your erroneous use of "brand new", which is an objectively wrong adjective to give to an unaltered re-release of a product, which is the case of Classic WoW.
    It is brand new, to me.

  13. #253
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Retail isnt world of warcraft anymore i would consider it more of a collectors game, the players enamored by it are very young kids who dont know better and are ok with microtransactions and in game carries for gold.

    Luckily for blizzard people are still having kids, retail isnt going anywhere. For the rest of us, we get classic.

    Before someone makes a reply about gold carries always being a thing, yes of course this is true but with the introduction of the WoW token its now part of the culture of the game, i see just as many carry posts in trade chat as i do people selling stuff......quite disgusting if you ask me.
    Calling everyone who enjoys the same thing as you do adults and everyone who enjoys something else kids is a very kid thing to do.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Frostyfire14 View Post
    Classic was AAA for its time. Nothing like it. Then they modernized it and made it super friendly, and casual.
    Funny how you say that, back when I played classic with all my friends we were all casuals. The people who did not play casually were very rare.

    Nowadays I don't know a single player who plays retail casually. It's all mythic raiding or nothing.

  14. #254
    Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    It is brand new, to me.
    It's not, as per your own admissions. But I suppose you're misusing the term.
    Is there anything from vanilla WoW you are not looking forward to despite your hype for Classic? Come and tell us what it is.

  15. #255
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    It's not, as per your own admissions. But I suppose you're misusing the term.
    It is, per my own admission of never playing Vanilla. But sure man.. I'm misusing the term.

    Tell ya what... how 'bout every post I talk about "brand new" you replace it with "fresh". If that is more acceptable to you, I think it suffices for the intention of my posts.

    Classic has a pool of potential customers from those 100 million accounts, that are not currently playing modern WoW. Because it's FRESH. And just like vintage clothing, cars, and everything else finds a way to come back in style, to be cool again, and to be desired.

    So is Classic. Cuz it's "fresh" (And brand new to me) :P

  16. #256
    Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    It is, per my own admission of never playing Vanilla. But sure man.. I'm misusing the term.
    You admitted to playing on pirate servers.

    Classic has a pool of potential customers from those 100 million accounts, that are not currently playing modern WoW.
    It doesn't, really.

    Only those who left because "it's no longer vanilla WoW" but still want to play it.

    Those who left for other reasons are not "potential customers". I mean, how can those who left because they no longer have the free time to dedicate to MMOs be a "potential customer"? Or those who didn't like vanilla WoW but left because some other expansion brought a change they didn't like or found a better game to dedicate themselves to?

    Classic is being made for those who want to play vanilla WoW. Not for those who left for monetary reasons, lack of free time reasons, shifted priorities reasons, etc.

    Because it's FRESH.
    As "fresh" as the leftover lunch from three days ago that sat in the back of the fridge all this time.
    Is there anything from vanilla WoW you are not looking forward to despite your hype for Classic? Come and tell us what it is.

  17. #257
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    You admitted to playing on pirate servers.


    It doesn't, really.

    Only those who left because "it's no longer vanilla WoW" but still want to play it.

    Those who left for other reasons are not "potential customers". I mean, how can those who left because they no longer have the free time to dedicate to MMOs be a "potential customer"? Or those who didn't like vanilla WoW but left because some other expansion brought a change they didn't like or found a better game to dedicate themselves to?

    Classic is being made for those who want to play vanilla WoW. Not for those who left for monetary reasons, lack of free time reasons, shifted priorities reasons, etc.


    As "fresh" as the leftover lunch from three days ago that sat in the back of the fridge all this time.
    I admitted to playing on private servers. Which are not Vanilla/Classic... they are run on completely different engines with guestimate settings. It's close... but not Vanilla/Classic.

    In correct. How about those that started in BC and Wrath, but didn't like Cata? or Pandaria? You know.. the ones that would jump at the chance to play Classic because they didn't when it was "brand new"! (see what I did there?)

    Or ANY player who came on board during an expansion that would like to experience the birth of a server? Something very few people actually have experienced?

    Keep in mind 100 million accounts were created as of 2014...

  18. #258
    Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    I admitted to playing on private servers. Which are not Vanilla/Classic... they are run on completely different engines with guestimate settings. It's close... but not Vanilla/Classic.
    Classic WoW is also a "guesstimate". Blizzard did not have the original values for health/damage/etc for the NPCs in the game and had to work to get the best approximations.

    In correct. How about those that started in BC and Wrath, but didn't like Cata? or Pandaria? You know.. the ones that would jump at the chance to play Classic because they didn't when it was "brand new"! (see what I did there?)
    Just because they started playing WoW at some later point in the game's life does not mean that they would "jump at the chance" to play Classic WoW. Your wording imply them all would want to play Classic, something that is false. However, yes, some people like that exists.

    Or ANY player who came on board during an expansion that would like to experience the birth of a server? Something very few people actually have experienced?
    Is it really any different from the "day 1" of an expansion, with the starting areas for the new expansion crowded with people?

    Keep in mind 100 million accounts were created as of 2014...
    Keep in mind that many of those "100 million accounts" had the same owners. Many, many players had more than one account, usually two. There are also the multi-boxers, remember? 5-man groups comprised of characters of the same race, same class, and very similar names, with all party members mirroring the exact same actions the party leader did.
    Is there anything from vanilla WoW you are not looking forward to despite your hype for Classic? Come and tell us what it is.

  19. #259
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Classic WoW is also a "guesstimate". Blizzard did not have the original values for health/damage/etc for the NPCs in the game and had to work to get the best approximations.


    Just because they started playing WoW at some later point in the game's life does not mean that they would "jump at the chance" to play Classic WoW. Your wording imply them all would want to play Classic, something that is false. However, yes, some people like that exists.


    Is it really any different from the "day 1" of an expansion, with the starting areas for the new expansion crowded with people?


    Keep in mind that many of those "100 million accounts" had the same owners. Many, many players had more than one account, usually two. There are also the multi-boxers, remember? 5-man groups comprised of characters of the same race, same class, and very similar names, with all party members mirroring the exact same actions the party leader did.
    Blizzard's "guestimates"... even makes it more "brand new"

    My wording implies that ALL of them are potential customers... potential implies they may or may not want to play Classic.

    of course it's entirely different. You don't have mounts, the AH is empty, you are broke, you can't go to a vendor and buy allthe best crap he has without thinking about it, you don't start out wit an inventory full of pots/flasks/etc...

    Completely, entirely different experience. (but you know that really)

    For sure... but even if we "allowed" 5 account for every sinlge person.. that's 20 million players... and let's face it... 5 is WAY overkill as many only had 1 or MAYBE 2. I'd say at least 50-75 million unique players.

  20. #260
    This is a strange topic... While yes, there's a possibility of Classic killing current, the probability is astronomically low and odds would extremely lean towards Classic actually dying in just a few months. We're talking like 99.99% chance of Classic being the one to die instead, at least as far as actual probability goes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •