Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    If a dated game with heavy party dependency and slow progression was going to depopulate retail, then EQ1 would have done it years ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malikath View Post
    [citation needed]

- - - Updated - - -

WoW's already dead, the fuck you talking about?
    fucking asmongold's streams draw more attention then the WF race, WoW's been dead for a long time now.
    What do streams have to do with playing a game? If WoW streams draw more views than other games does it mean those games are dead?

Quote Originally Posted by BoltBlaster View Post
    Don't remember doing any grinding at all. Heard about it on forums, but never did it in game. Had 3 level 60 characters in vanilla.

If you were doing grinding, you were doing it wrong. I guess you didn't do dungeons while leveling and rushed to max level. Dungeons provide good gear, XP and fun. Try taking things slowly when you'll be playing Classic, do some group content and you won't have to do grind.

But yes, I expect a lot of retail players to drop classic very quickly too. Most won't even make it to level 60, just like it was back in vanilla. Modern players are too used to instant gratification and being handheld through all content.
    I'm also someone that never suffered the urban legend of "grind for xp". Played with irl friends so we did group qests and dungeons.

I guess the lesson is that there are consequences of being lazy and antisocial.

Classic is a side project, make no mistake. Retail will always have their full attention despite how popular Classic will appear at first, so that’s that.

Just need those, who missed, farm resistance gear for 40 ppl. Guess not much fans will stay.

Classic is a pimple on the arse of wow. Its red and angry and making a lot of noise, but in reality it'll pop its head and disappear off into the nether soon enough. It might flare up from time to time, but thats just about it.

Many people will come back for classic, but tbh WoW as a whole is pretty dead, people are tired of it, its old. But I think classic will boost their numbers up again by alot

I think at this point beyond some raider cross over the two demographics are 100% separate from each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Senel View Post
    It will explode in popularity at launch, then, when retail players realize they have to grind mobs for hours to gain a single level (stopping to drink often ofc) they will rush back to BfA. In a few months only a few diehards will be playing it. Took too long for Blizz to capitalize on the vanilla lovers playerbase.
    Imagine thinking BFA players will make up the majority of players on classic, or it relies on the retail playerbase to maintain a large population LUL.

Classic is for the 10's of millions of people who have played this game since 2004 and quit, this number FAR surpasses how many people currently play the game.

If I’m done with everything in current WoW ( alts, mounts, pets, toys, achivs ), and thats probably not happening anytime soon xd i can give classic a shot, it would probably take me a month to get to lvl 20 and get a group to WC/DM(VC)

Quote Originally Posted by Malikath View Post
    WoW's already dead, the fuck you talking about?
    fucking asmongold's streams draw more attention then the WF race, WoW's been dead for a long time now.
    Yeah, been dead for 12 years and 4 months now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Polybius View Post
    What do streams have to do with playing a game? If WoW streams draw more views than other games does it mean those games are dead?
    Certainly.

Like the WF race was ever popular lol.

It's not gonna divide anyone. People who have already made up their mind about retail will play it, whilst the ones that it doesn't appeal to will continue playing retail.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Classic is for the 10's of millions of people who have played this game since 2004 and quit, this number FAR surpasses how many people currently play the game.
    You'd think Vanilla private servers would be seeing a lot more traffic if 10 million+ people were interested in playing Classic. Nostalrius was estimated to have only ("only") 800k registered accounts, and it was the most popular. And Light's Hope has only 5000+, despite BfA's shortcomings.
    Last edited by Theoris; 2019-04-30 at 06:36 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonatron View Post
    So since classic requires a bigger time investement than current wow (for casuals atleast) and since you can only play one game at a time.

I was wondering if once classic is released and everyone and their mothers will be playing it.. won't it have a negative effect on current wow playerbase and ingame activity ?

Classic still requires a sub to current wow to be played so the blizzard numbers won't realistically show who is playing what but i think Blizz might actually accidentally schoot current wow in the foot by dividing the playerbase.

I'm not waiting for wow to die in any form nor do i think it will truly die anytime soon, but with all mmo's released since launch i believe that Wow classic has the biggest chance to do what has been repeated on these forums each time a compareable mmo releases.

Will blizzard be able to convince us to play the xpac after bfa instead of classic ? for now i don't think so.

Update: Given the answers, classic wow might be the thing current retail needs to fill in the content gaps between patches and expansions.
    Both of them being on the same sub might even be a blessing instead of a curse.

Thanks for the answers and sorry if i triggered anyone with my now only 3 posts
    If you need to shit on other things to justify your love for something
    maybe that something is not actually that great...

if you love classic talk classic, stop comparing, stop competing, and stop flaming.

classic will be great, live is doing ok, comparing the two just makes you look insecure, and the classic fanbase look like pricks.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Namalia View Post
    I think you overestimate Classic's appeal.
    I think you underestimate it

Quote Originally Posted by BoltBlaster View Post
    There are many reasons why players wouldn't play on those servers:

1. Legality. That's an issue for many people, especially who aren't tech savvy.

2. PvP realms. Many players like PvE realms.

3. Outdated software. Client doesn't run on OSX and runs like crap on Windows. It doesn't have frame rate limitation, so it hogs all GPU and causes overheating.

4. Vast majority of target players don't even know about their existence.

5. Gold/XP/character sales. That shit is happening all over those servers.
    That's true. There's also the fact that private servers are temporary at best (Blizzard has legal obligation to take them down, according to Ythisens). With Classic, players will actually have something official.

I remain skeptical that 10 million people will be playing it, though; at least consistently over a long period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Theoris View Post
    That's true. There's also the fact that private servers are temporary at best (Blizzard has legal obligation to take them down, according to Ythisens). With Classic, players will actually have something official.

I remain skeptical that 10 million people will be playing it, though; at least consistently over a long period of time.
    Used to play on these servers for a while - constant lags, ddos, server downs - terrible

10+ Year Old Account
    It does not matter where the players go as long they remain battle.net users and pay their sub. I could even imagine a scenario where Blizzard keeps their current server pool size. Instead of playing two clients (classic & retail) every client / xpac is available, but there are way fewer server per client. You could transfer your main to the next expansion once you hit levelcap ($$$) and just keep on playing.

The best thing about classic is that it will (hopefuly) remove unhappy, sad and salty old farts from the main game (and these forums too, hopefully) so they can bath in their toxic cesspool of demented nostalgia aka classic wow servers. Can't wait!!

While I will enjoy classic it still doesn't have the time investment retail does and never will.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    The best thing about classic is that it will (hopefuly) remove unhappy, sad and salty old farts from the main game (and these forums too, hopefully) so they can bath in their toxic cesspool of demented nostalgia aka classic wow servers. Can't wait!!
    That's the most skewed, demented and farfetched theory I've seen in my entire life.
    Are you somehow saying that the ONLY people that are unhappy with BfA are the people that want Classic?

What the fuck even is this comment?
    Why would you even post something as inane as this?
    Congratulations, you've considerably lowered the IQ of everyone unfortunate enough to read that shit.