Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
    Considering a certain popular non-sanctioned server had 150k concurrent accounts active, I think Classic will punch way above that.
    Of course, estimation is impossible but there'll be quite a few people.
    And yeah, even if it "only" has 200k players, that's still more than enough for Blizz.

Why are you talking in absolutes?
    Secondly, we've been doing the same content for 14 years on retail. Appearances may be different, but it's functionally the same game in every system that makes up WoW. The only difference is they've removed most of the RPG elements and thrown in QoL elements instead.

I've just never understood people who are so inherently fucking salty over people wanting to play a certain game, to go "YEAH WELL WHY DON'T YOU MARRY IT AND PLAY FOR 400 YEARS STRAIGHT, SEE HOW YOU LIKE IT?"
    Like what the fuck is that argument?
    Classic is limited and not expanding. Please face that fact.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    Classic is limited and not expanding. Please face that fact.
    So instead of actually trying to read a post, you're doubling back to something that has already been discussed ad nauseum in this subsection?
    What do you achieve with this?
    You are just wasting peoples time and your own by posting this inane shit.

Also, please point out where I refuted that fact. Please do.
    I'm dying to see where I specifically, word for word, refuted that. In any way.
    Go on, I am waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
    So instead of actually trying to read a post, you're doubling back to something that has already been discussed ad nauseum in this subsection?
    What do you achieve with this?
    You are just wasting peoples time and your own by posting this inane shit.
    It's a good point to why classic won't be the "possible death of current". But then again you said classic and retail offer the same content. The best thing to do is to put you on ignore to save me indeed a bunch of wasted time.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a good point to why classic won't be the "possible death of current". But then again you said classic and retail offer the same content. The best thing to do is to put you on ignore to save me indeed a bunch of wasted time.
    Are you somehow implying that the inherent systems and gameplay are radically different from older WoW expansions?
    Wow I was completely unaware that we've moved away from the MMO model in that case, you're the first one that has recognized this. Kudos.

Also, please point out where I have, specifically, said that Classic will be the death of current WoW.
    Just because I am in the thread doesn't mean that I am agreeing with what's being posted, but I guess asking for someone to have any modicum of reading comprehension is far too much to ask out of someone incapable of having an argument in the first place.

Quick suggestion, if you're just going to be a willfully obtuse contrarian, just get some fresh air and get out of the Classic section.
    Last edited by Gungnir; 2019-04-30 at 06:38 PM.

BFA killed it before Classic even came out kek
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassafrass View Post
    It's a Horde symbol but the middle part can also be called the "Eye" of the zone (AZSHARA), it's a play on words
    No, it is happening. The zone changed, it belongs to the Goblins now and is their home. Hearthstone is having a mechanical themed expansion soon, November's cardback is Goblin influenced and revealed concept art shows Goblin machinery. It's a HS expansion, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    Three facts are certain. 10's of millions have come and gone since 2004. They left for many reasons, at least ONE person left because they thing modern WoW sucks. It is likely, that since the current game and the original game are so different that there are others (perhaps numbering in the millions) who also left for the same reason.

So there are millions of people who are potential customers for Classic for a variety of reasons.
    The conclusion doesn't follow the premises. Having "at least one person leaving because they don't like modern WoW" does not translate to "there are millions of people who are potential customers for Classic". Could there be "millions"? Yes. Just as much as there could be just... a "few dozen".

Second fact? NONE of these people are playing BfA.
    That's not a fact. You're making an absolute statement that can easily be unmade through anecdotal evidence. For example, I could say that someone in my guild only plays WoW because he has a lot of friends in the guild he likes to hang out with.

So while those 10's of millions only MIGHT return to play Clasic, it is for sure they didn't return for BfA.
    Again, this conclusion doesn't follow ANY of your premises. It's delusional to think that "tens of millions" of players might return to play Classic WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by jonatron View Post
    So since classic requires a bigger time investement than current wow (for casuals atleast) and since you can only play one game at a time.

I was wondering if once classic is released and everyone and their mothers will be playing it.. won't it have a negative effect on current wow playerbase and ingame activity ?

Classic still requires a sub to current wow to be played so the blizzard numbers won't realistically show who is playing what but i think Blizz might actually accidentally schoot current wow in the foot by dividing the playerbase.

I'm not waiting for wow to die in any form nor do i think it will truly die anytime soon, but with all mmo's released since launch i believe that Wow classic has the biggest chance to do what has been repeated on these forums each time a compareable mmo releases.

Will blizzard be able to convince us to play the xpac after bfa instead of classic ? for now i don't think so.

Update: Given the answers, classic wow might be the thing current retail needs to fill in the content gaps between patches and expansions.
    Both of them being on the same sub might even be a blessing instead of a curse.

Thanks for the answers and sorry if i triggered anyone with my now only 3 posts
    because the majority will naturally prefer to replay old content over new one, especially when they start introducing the shiny new features of the next expansions... new hero classes, new races, return of the Lich King? nah, i'll just stick to my water drinking,frostbolt spamming mage... 1 button rotation ftw

classic is here to gap BfA and the next xpac, after this very few will remain

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Yeaaa that's down to your reading comprehension, no where did i say that those 10's of million's would return, merely its a far larger pool of people to draw from than the current retail playerbase.
    Go and re-read what you wrote:
    Classic is for the 10's of millions of people who have played this game since 2004 and quit
    You said that Classic WoW is being made for those "tens of millions of people". You're heavily implying that the reason those "tens of millions" of people left the game was because "it's no longer vanilla".

Not to mention that "tens of millions of people who played since 2004" is just wrong, considering the highest peak vanilla WoW ever had was just around 8 mil, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    There will be a staggered release of content over a period of almost 18months according to Blizzard.

And I would not be surprised to see TBC classic announced at Blizzcon 2020, if Vanilla is a success.
    So we end up with a "classic BFA by 2030"? Or do you think Blizz will keep all iterations of WoW running at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Go and re-read what you wrote:

You said that Classic WoW is being made for those "tens of millions of people". You're heavily implying that the reason those "tens of millions" of people left the game was because "it's no longer vanilla".

Not to mention that "tens of millions of people who played since 2004" is just wrong, considering the highest peak vanilla WoW ever had was just around 8 mil, by the way.
    The main point here is that classic does not have to rely on the current WoW playerbase to maintain a healthy population, as is insinuated on these forums regularly. People are going to be trying out classic for a wide variety of reasons, but id say the top of that list will be returning players who do in fact miss the style WoW had from vanilla>wrath.

It was about limited content. It doesnt matter if it takes 1 month or 6. Ok it's not expanding - it's limited that's the point to make. Idiots everywhere.
    If you're playing Classic wow for Raid content then you're obviously playing the wrong game. Raiding in classic is a bi-product of the game. Classic is about the community and the fun of PLAYING a game with others in a realm community. Raiding in classic is only 1 form of the entertainment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubbl3 View Post
    So we end up with a "classic BFA by 2030"? Or do you think Blizz will keep all iterations of WoW running at the same time?
    I think Blizzard is going to develop an alternative content path and that will be determined by the success of classic.
    Classic will end with Classic. I see Blizzard using Classic to fill the void between retail & the next expansion to keep numbers up.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next expansion is MASSIVE, almost as if it was WOW 2.
    The next expansion more then likely will bring back the grass roots of an mmo and take 2-3 years to develop.

Quote Originally Posted by toffmcsoft View Post
    If you're playing Classic wow for Raid content then you're obviously playing the wrong game. Raiding in classic is a bi-product of the game. Classic is about the community and the fun of PLAYING a game with others in a realm community. Raiding in classic is only 1 form of the entertainment.
    ^^This guy gets it.

Seriously its incredible how many people on this forum never played actual vanilla, raids were always the cherry on top, it was only the driving force for a very small % of people as compared to the majority today. I am not going to tell people how to enjoy a game, but i will point out that if you think raids are the most important part of vanilla, you have been tainted by years of retail brainwashing.

Imagine thinking BFA players will make up the majority of players on classic, or it relies on the retail playerbase to maintain a large population LUL.

Classic is for the 10's of millions of people who have played this game since 2004 and quit, this number FAR surpasses how many people currently play the game.
    Imagine actually believing that there are tens of millions of people just waiting for a vanilla server.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Imagine actually believing that there are tens of millions of people just waiting for a vanilla server.
    Do you actually think i meant classic would literally get 20, 30, 40 million players? Of course not and having to clarify this is mind boggling, kids today seem to forget how popular this game was in the past, and if even a small % of those people decide to return it will easily surpass the current retail playerbase.

Quote Originally Posted by jonatron View Post
    -Snip-
    I think people are seriously overestimating the effect Classic will have. It certainly won't kill retail. I'll play it for sure but it will just be a distraction during the lulls in content during retail.
    Back to your bridge, you evil Troll!

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    I think Blizzard knows very well that Classic will outshine BfA... especially since it will release in a winding down time for BfA.

What they will be caught off guard about is how many people would rather stay in Classic than play a new expansion. Although there will be enough people playing both to warrant keeping it up.

Blizzard doesn't care WHAT you play.. as long as you keep paying. I also suspect they will use Classic TBC as another placeholder after the next expansion is in wind down mode.

It'll be a teeter totter effect.
    They can't sell MTX and new xpaks so I would assume they would prefer if everyone was in retail.

Oh man, people still haven't figured out that the horrendous gameplay and grind of Classic is going to kill participation numbers fairly quickly. Death of current WoW? No way, not a chance. Classic will arrive and die long before current WoW fails.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Do you actually think i meant classic would literally get 20, 30, 40 million players? Of course not and having to clarify this is mind boggling, kids today seem to forget how popular this game was in the past, and if even a small % of those people decide to return it will easily surpass the current retail playerbase.
    Most of these people have already played classic. Like me. And I'm not returning. I got my dose of classic during, you know, classic. Kids these days and stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubbl3 View Post
    Most of these people have already played classic. Like me. And I'm not returning. I got my dose of classic during, you know, classic. Kids these days and stuff.
    I STILL don't understand why some people use anecdotal experiences as a universal constant.
    WoW has had 100 million accounts created during its lifetime, why do you think everyone else has the same opinion as you do?

I really don't understand the hate here.

Different games for different people. The two can exist simultaneously? Just means potentially more money for Blizz. E.g., I've been unsubbed since the first month of Legion, with large gaps between from Cata to WoD. Before that, I played quite a lot.

All Classic means is that Blizz will gain some additional subs. That's it. In the long term I'd guess that retail will out-populate Classic. But that's fine too.