Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
    I STILL don't understand why some people use anecdotal experiences as a universal constant.
    WoW has had 100 million accounts created during its lifetime, why do you think everyone else has the same opinion as you do?
    Why do you think they have the same as you? Yes, 100 millions accounts were created. IIRC Blizz words correctly most of those quit during classic/tbc era. So why should a signifcant potion of those come back when they didn't like what they've seen in the first place? Especially since classic lacks the LK, one of the most well know villains in video games. And the more refiend mechancis of tbc/wotlk.

I seriously doubt that classic will surpass WoW in the long term. But my guesses are as good as yours so lets see how it plays out.

Classic WoW will do well, at least at first. To think it would kill retail, frankly though, is hilarious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubbl3 View Post
    Why do you think they have the same as you? Yes, 100 millions accounts were created. IIRC Blizz words correctly most of those quit during classic/tbc era. So why should a signifcant potion of those come back when they didn't like what they've seen in the first place? Especially since classic lacks the LK, one of the most well know villains in video games.

I seriously doubt that classic will surpass WoW in the long term. But my guesses are as good as yours so lets see how it plays out.
    Where did I say that they had the same opinion as me?
    Please, by all means, point out where I specifically stated that.

Also, why are you assuming that all of them quit because they didn't like the game?
    You've done nothing but made baseless assumptions, trying to pass them off as some miraculous revelation you've had.
    Here's some food for thought, what if people stopped playing for reasons other than not liking it? What if they decided, once whatever caused them to stop playing ceased to be, to try and come back and realized that the game is nothing like they remember?

There are multiple different demographics that would play Classic, same as there are multiple different demographics that wouldn't.
    Last edited by Gungnir; 2019-04-30 at 08:19 PM.

There are multiple different demographics that would play Classic, same as there are multiple different demographics that wouldn't.
    Yes I agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Do you actually think i meant classic would literally get 20, 30, 40 million players? Of course not and having to clarify this is mind boggling, kids today seem to forget how popular this game was in the past, and if even a small % of those people decide to return it will easily surpass the current retail playerbase.
    "Joke's on you, I was being ironic guyssss"

"if even a small % returns" is also one hell of a vague statement. Vanilla had 7-8M players at its highest, BfA has maybe 2M at its lowest and we have no way to be sure. Do you actually believe that, at best, in vanilla player in four will durably want to play it again? Assuming obviously that they are vanilla players who want it back and not people who stuck with the game.

Plus, kill retail? It's the same sub. Blizzard gives no shits what "kills" what. Classic will get a massive release spike for sure, but you're kidding yourself if you think tons of people both played vanilla and want to play it again for a significant amount of time in this day and age, and you are frankly delusional if you think there are lots of young players just itching to play a more slow-paced version of a 15 years old game in the Fortnite era.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    The conclusion doesn't follow the premises. Having "at least one person leaving because they don't like modern WoW" does not translate to "there are millions of people who are potential customers for Classic". Could there be "millions"? Yes. Just as much as there could be just... a "few dozen".

That's not a fact. You're making an absolute statement that can easily be unmade through anecdotal evidence. For example, I could say that someone in my guild only plays WoW because he has a lot of friends in the guild he likes to hang out with.

Again, this conclusion doesn't follow ANY of your premises. It's delusional to think that "tens of millions" of players might return to play Classic WoW.
    LOL...

EVERY single person who ever played WoW is a potential customer for Classic. Until Classic is out and they choose not to, they are POTENTIAL customers. Where as they already have NOT purchased BfA.

You misunderstand something... since more people have played WoW than are currently playing... THOSE people who are not playing BfA are...NOT PLAYING BFA! Millions.

By default... since those players have not said no to Classic yet (because i's not out to say no to) they are potential players... however.. since they are NOT playing BfA and it IS out... they are NOT potential players of BfA.

Very basic statements of truth.

Long story short. There are more people not playign WoW currently that are potential customers than are currently playign BfA. That is irrefutable. The only thing one can say inthe favor of BfA is that the ones currently playing BfA ARE customers currently.

We are nearing the release of Classic and we will soon learn if CLassic is a huge underestimated, runaway success... or not.

but we already know BfA isn't.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    They can't sell MTX and new xpaks so I would assume they would prefer if everyone was in retail.
    No... but they can replace declining sub numbers with other sub numbers.

Mark my words... Blizzard will NOT report anything "Classic only"... they will report how WoW (including Classic) has seen XXX growth. Something along the lines of:

Players of WoW past and present have shattered previous record sales... blah, blah, blah.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Classic won´t last much more than a year, people will get tired and realized how bad its flaws were, (regardless of using the latest patch).

Classic had something unique, so unique that it can not happen again, no matter what. It was the fact that none knew anything, none knew how good items would be or how to defeat bosses. Everything was fresh, new, challenging and huge. Not having any loot in dungeons was normal and okay.

Absolutely none of those points (and there are many more) can happen again.

I think it is great that they did it, I will play, but it can not replace current WoW. Why would anyone invest all their WoW time in an old, stuck version which you already played and which is far worse than current in terms of optimization in the gaming itself? It sure will be a blast for a short time, but eventually that will be it.

Going to be honest, modern wow will take a big hit early. As people play it. Then those people will get irritated with a lot of features that aren't in modern wow and move back over.

The stats provided by Nostalrius kinda show that there is a 0% chance of this happening. Nostalrius had a total of 730K unique total accounts. After 1 year it had 130K active accounts. It bled 83% of it's playerbase in ONE year. That's a bigger drop than any expansion has ever seen. When you factor in that it's arguably the most authentic classic server to date and, y'know, the fact that it was free, it's frankly laughable.

I'm sure retail will drop active numbers at first, that's inevitable, but It's not going to "kill" retail - Because everyone that plays classic is paying a sub, income is going to increase regardless. Blizzard win either way. If anything, it's going to increase activity in retail, because I can imagine everyone playing retail now is going to try Vanilla, and everyone that has only played vanilla or hasn't played at all and is following the streamers to Classic - will try retail. I'm certain the majority of people that have never played any version of wow will VASTLY prefer retail to vanilla.

My prediction is that classic will explode initially, then implode on itself within a year. Within a year or two, they will announce TBC to keep it alive. All the while, a non-insignificant amount of players will trickle into retail. Which I believe is the plan anyway, Classic certainly isn't being done for the disproportionately small amount dedicated classic players, because there aren't enough of them to be worth the hastle.

No matter what way you look at it, it's a play by Blizzard to rake in more $$$.
    Last edited by thunterman; 2019-04-30 at 09:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    The main point here is that classic does not have to rely on the current WoW playerbase to maintain a healthy population, as is insinuated on these forums regularly.
    I don't think I ever seen that claim being made, here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thunterman View Post
    The stats provided by Nostalrius kinda show that there is a 0% chance of this happening. Nostalrius had a total of 730K unique total accounts. After 1 year it had 130K active accounts. It bled 83% of it's playerbase in ONE year. That's a bigger drop than any expansion has ever seen. When you factor in that it's arguably the most authentic classic server to date and, y'know, the fact that it was free, it's frankly laughable.

I'm sure retail will drop active numbers at first, that's inevitable, but It's not going to "kill" retail - Because everyone that plays classic is paying a sub, income is going to increase regardless. Blizzard win either way.
    The main reason why people don't play private servers except the very dedicated, and the argument I've seen posted everywhere, is that you never know when Blizzard will cease & desist the server.
    This server won't be located in Russian and it won't be C&D'd after anywhere between 1 week to 1 year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    EVERY single person who ever played WoW is a potential customer for Classic. Until Classic is out and they choose not to, they are POTENTIAL customers. Where as they already have NOT purchased BfA.
    Except, like I mentioned, your conclusion doesn't follow your premises. You talked about the reasons why players left WoW throughout its lifetime... then you conclude by saying "millions of potential Classic WoW customers."

You misunderstand something... since more people have played WoW than are currently playing... THOSE people who are not playing BfA are...NOT PLAYING BFA! Millions.
    Yeah. And what percentage of those "millions" left the game because it was no longer vanilla WoW? Which is the kind of player that is most likely to return and stay. What's that percentage? 20%? 10%? 5%? 1%? Do you know which it is?

By default... since those players have not said no to Classic yet (because i's not out to say no to) they are potential players... however.. since they are NOT playing BfA and it IS out... they are NOT potential players of BfA.
    It's not "by default", especially since you do not know the reason they're not playing WoW. They could have different priorities, or not enough time to dedicate to MMOs (especially one as grindy as Classic).

Long story short. There are more people not playign WoW currently that are potential customers than are currently playign BfA. That is irrefutable.
    I don't think that thing was ever in question? I questioned the idea that Classic WoW "is being made of the tens of millions of players that aren't playing."

The only thing one can say inthe favor of BfA is that the ones currently playing BfA ARE customers currently.

We are nearing the release of Classic and we will soon learn if CLassic is a huge underestimated, runaway success... or not.

but we already know BfA isn't.
    It's astounding how people very often bash on current WoW when they want to make classic WoW look good.

The main reason why people don't play private servers except the very dedicated, and the argument I've seen posted everywhere, is that you never know when Blizzard will cease & desist the server.
    This server won't be located in Russian and it won't be C&D'd after anywhere between 1 week to 1 year.
    And even the "dedicated" can't play it for more than a year. I also would expect allot more than 730K unique total players, as it's an official server. I fully understand why some don't bother with private servers - it's the same reason I don't. They don't last. But even still, 83% of a playerbase gone in 1 year. For a free game, that's not P2W or anything... That has to be a record for biggest failure in the free MMO space.

The active community is going to be in the hundreds of thousands within months, with many more people playing it here and there. I would picture the majority playing it how I intend too, once I'm out of shit to do for the week on retail I'l log into classic and play for an hour. It just not within the realm of reality that millions of people will flock back to something old, that is readily available on the internet for free - and pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    Classic won´t last much more than a year, people will get tired and realized how bad its flaws were, (regardless of using the latest patch).

Classic had something unique, so unique that it can not happen again, no matter what. It was the fact that none knew anything, none knew how good items would be or how to defeat bosses. Everything was fresh, new, challenging and huge. Not having any loot in dungeons was normal and okay.

Absolutely none of those points (and there are many more) can happen again.

I think it is great that they did it, I will play, but it can not replace current WoW. Why would anyone invest all their WoW time in an old, stuck version which you already played and which is far worse than current in terms of optimization in the gaming itself? It sure will be a blast for a short time, but eventually that will be it.
    Posts like this need to stop. Regardless of whether people are for or against Classic, what should be remembered is that hundreds of thousands of people have been playing private servers for many years, so of course it will not die after a year.

People want to hate on Classic and forget there was a demand for it, Blizzard didn't decide to re-release it on a whim.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubbl3 View Post
    Why do you think they have the same as you? Yes, 100 millions accounts were created. IIRC Blizz words correctly most of those quit during classic/tbc era. So why should a signifcant potion of those come back when they didn't like what they've seen in the first place? Especially since classic lacks the LK, one of the most well know villains in video games. And the more refiend mechancis of tbc/wotlk.

You dont; recall right... http://media.wow-europe.com/infograp...fographic.html

100 million accounts up to 2014. Does not include last 5 years. No of course no one expects them to all think like they do... but it's a reasonable expectation that a lot do. If only 10% do that's still 10 million players+.

What we do know is that by any account... very few agree that modern WoW is of much interest since very few people (compared to at it's height) still play it.

I guess we will see ho mnay of those 100 million choose to play Classic... we already can guess 3-5 million decided to play BfA. Wouldn't it be neat if like 10 million played Classic? how cool would that be?

It could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by jonatron View Post
    and since you can only play one game at a time.
    says who? :P

100 million accounts up to 2014. Does not include last 5 years. No of course no one expects them to all think like they do... but it's a reasonable expectation that a lot do. If only 10% do that's still 10 million players+.
    And if less than 1% does, it's not even 1m.

The only thing you have going for your number is assumptions that it will be a smash hit. More likely most people won't give it more than a passing glance.

It could happen.
    We could also get hit by an previously unknown gamma ray burst and all die tomorrow. I'm not sure which of the two is more likely, but i'm leaning to the gamma rays.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    And if less than 1% does, it's not even 1m.

The only thing you have going for your number is assumptions that it will be a smash hit. More likely most people won't give it more than a passing glance.

We could also get hit by an previously unknown gamma ray burst and all die tomorrow. I'm not sure which of the two is more likely, but i'm leaning to the gamma rays.
    I guess we'll see. And we won't have to wait long either.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Except, like I mentioned, your conclusion doesn't follow your premises. You talked about the reasons why players left WoW throughout its lifetime... then you conclude by saying "millions of potential Classic WoW customers."

Yeah. And what percentage of those "millions" left the game because it was no longer vanilla WoW? Which is the kind of player that is most likely to return and stay. What's that percentage? 20%? 10%? 5%? 1%? Do you know which it is?

It's not "by default", especially since you do not know the reason they're not playing WoW. They could have different priorities, or not enough time to dedicate to MMOs (especially one as grindy as Classic).

I don't think that thing was ever in question? I questioned the idea that Classic WoW "is being made of the tens of millions of players that aren't playing."

It's astounding how people very often bash on current WoW when they want to make classic WoW look good.

Millions of POTENTIAL players. No one said they all would play... no one said a majority of them would. But they are all potential customes... except those that tried it initially and hated it.

But because they are NOT playing BfA... and could be... they are NOT potential players of BfA.

I represent the type of player that cannot stand what modern WoW has become but cannot wait to play Classic... I do not find it unreasonable to believe that there is a segment of those 100 million accounts that feel similar.

I do not find it unreasonable that there is a segment of those players that loved TBC and Wrath...and would really love to play the first rendition that they missed.

I find it reasonable that there is a segment of those players that would OVE to experience a luanch of a brand new Azeroth... where leveling hasn't been destroyed and made irreleveant, that the AH isn't so bloated from inflation that a low level item costs 500g because it looks cool for transmog.

Sure there are lots of reasons why many won't consider coming back and sticking with Classic... but there are also a lot of reasons why a significant number of people will.

In a few monhs, it will all play out, then we will know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Millions of POTENTIAL players. No one said they all would play... no one said a majority of them would. But they are all potential customes... except those that tried it initially and hated it.
    It's hardly "millions", much less "tens of millions".

Those who weren't interested in playing WoW in 2004, are highly unlikely to want to play 2004 WoW today.
    Those who stopped playing for any other reason than "it's not vanilla WoW anymore" are also highly unlikely to return.

Said reasons include, but aren't restricted to:
    • They don't like vanilla WoW but stopped because 'expansion X' brought a change they didn't like;
    • They now have family and/or a job to worry about;
    • They're no longer interested in gaming;
    • They're no longer interested in MMOs;
    • They're no longer interested in WoW;
    • Their friends no longer play WoW.

Classic WoW is being made for those who like how WoW was in 2004-2006.

Not for those who were never interested.
    Not for those who stopped playing for any reason other than "it's not vanilla WoW anymore."

The "target audience" is actually much smaller than you make it out to be.

I represent the type of player that cannot stand what modern WoW has become but cannot wait to play Classic... I do not find it unreasonable to believe that there is a segment of those 100 million accounts that feel similar.
    I don't find that "unreasonable". I'm just saying you greatly overestimate the size of said "segment".

You really have no idea ielenia lol. Very soon we are going to get a release date and that is when the hype is truly going to start. If i know blizzards marketing team we will be seeing advertisements for classic that pull on peoples heartstrings, they will have no choice but to resub to classic.