Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Current WoW is pretty much dead already. BFA is terrible, not even 8.2 can save it at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Retail is doing a damn fine job of running itself into the ground right now. Doesn't need any assistance.
    Yeah. The classic community is splintered into so many factions who all want "their" vision of classic to be the one and will feel betrayed if/when it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    I think Blizzard knows very well that Classic will outshine BfA... especially since it will release in a winding down time for BfA.

What they will be caught off guard about is how many people would rather stay in Classic than play a new expansion. Although there will be enough people playing both to warrant keeping it up.

Blizzard doesn't care WHAT you play.. as long as you keep paying. I also suspect they will use Classic TBC as another placeholder after the next expansion is in wind down mode.

It'll be a teeter totter effect.
    £5 says classic will be a ghost town 1 year after release.

What people want is wow 2.0 not wow 0.5, easiest way to tell is look at the rest of the mmo market atm, MMOS that have the most difference from wow are growing with the exodus, where as wow clones and even classic wow clones are all dead or dieing.

Wow current is shit, wow classic was also still shit. They need to do something invoative and bring wow into 2019 not put it back into 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyorkbourne View Post
    Gated or staggered content? I thought we didn't like that. Now I'm confused.
    You are confused because it's not gated or staggered content. It's just being released as it was originally and originally that content wasn't staggered or gated. They are recreating Vanilla so not releasing everything at once isn't gating nor staggering in this case.

if vanilla goes anything close to the way that oldschool runescape did then, well, i'll let the numbers do the talking

http://www.misplaceditems.com/rs_tools/graph/

People will try classic after achieving their current expansion goals like pushing glad, getting mythic kills etc.

Sadly classic is just demo of wow, it lacks many features that people find "must have".

Also classic will sonner or later end but current wow will have few new expansions

10+ Year Old Account
    Classic wont be alive long enough to see real one die.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

I will play classic as long as there is an active community. People tend to forget that MMOs were the first "social media" platforms, long before facebook and twitter garbage. The reason we played Everquest was the social aspect (plus, obvs, the fantasy RPG elements). There were FAR better single-player games. And there are currently FAR better single-player games than WoW... which makes me shake my head when every expansion pushes WoW further into the realm of "really bad single-player game" ...

I feel like "pristine" servers might have been a better solution (with some better design decision with each new expansion...) because the biggest problem with WoW is x-server bullshit. But that wouldn't have worked, I guess. The game was just too far gone for anyone to care about that (and the blizzard design ethos, from top to bottom since wotlk, has been to make WoW a single-player game).

As long as the community exists (and it will be WAY better than retail), and as long as my name and reputation MEANS something, and as long as I need others to succeed at even a basic level, then that's where I will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    £5 says classic will be a ghost town 1 year after release.

What people want is wow 2.0 not wow 0.5, easiest way to tell is look at the rest of the mmo market atm, MMOS that have the most difference from wow are growing with the exodus, where as wow clones and even classic wow clones are all dead or dieing.

Wow current is shit, wow classic was also still shit. They need to do something invoative and bring wow into 2019 not put it back into 2005
    Yoiu could very well be correct. But at least it will last a year compared to being a ghost town in 3-6 months like live. Heck BfA started as a ghosttown. If it weren't for CRZ... the game would appear empty to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by jonatron View Post
    So since classic requires a bigger time investement than current wow (for casuals atleast) and since you can only play one game at a time.

I was wondering if once classic is released and everyone and their mothers will be playing it.. won't it have a negative effect on current wow playerbase and ingame activity ?

Classic still requires a sub to current wow to be played so the blizzard numbers won't realistically show who is playing what but i think Blizz might actually accidentally schoot current wow in the foot by dividing the playerbase.

I'm not waiting for wow to die in any form nor do i think it will truly die anytime soon, but with all mmo's released since launch i believe that Wow classic has the biggest chance to do what has been repeated on these forums each time a compareable mmo releases.

Will blizzard be able to convince us to play the xpac after bfa instead of classic ? for now i don't think so.

Update: Given the answers, classic wow might be the thing current retail needs to fill in the content gaps between patches and expansions.
    Both of them being on the same sub might even be a blessing instead of a curse.

Thanks for the answers and sorry if i triggered anyone with my now only 3 posts
    The very nature of classic will push a lot of people away from it. A lot complain about current wow, but I see a lot of things that will push your average player away.

Yoiu could very well be correct. But at least it will last a year compared to being a ghost town in 3-6 months like live. Heck BfA started as a ghosttown. If it weren't for CRZ... the game would appear empty to everyone.
    Yea. I just feel we have seen all this befor, I mean it feels like I'm listening to all the wildstar fan boys all over again and we know what happend with that, people in the end didn't have the time to dedicate what it took at the left and the whole thing flopped.

Add to that the observation it's the non wow clone MMOs that the wow refugees are going to, just my gut but I think people want wow to innovate, it's boring a stale, but classic was also boring and stale.

Yea. I just feel we have seen all this befor, I mean it feels like I'm listening to all the wildstar fan boys all over again and we know what happend with that, people in the end didn't have the time to dedicate what it took at the left and the whole thing flopped.

Add to that the observation it's the non wow clone MMOs that the wow refugees are going to, just my gut but I think people want wow to innovate, it's boring a stale, but classic was also boring and stale.
    Not much longer we will find out how many want to play Classic. If it's not that many... then I think it bodes ill for all of WoW... if it does well it might revitalize the franchise.

What about those that:

• Loved vanilla WoW but stopped because 'expansion X' brought a change they didn't like;
    • They now have a solid career, kids older doing their own thing, and have plenty of free time, you act like only 14 year olds played Vanilla... to the contrary, there was a large portion of players who were adults.;
    • They're looking for something exciting to play once again;
    • They're missing the fun they had in WoW's successful MMO, and other MMOs just didn't have the same appeal;
    • They're intrigued by a return of WoW and being a part of a brand new Azeroth;
    • Their friends are coming back to play Classic WoW.
    Going on your list, item by item:

• You mean when I literally stated "it's not vanilla WoW anymore" as a reason they left?
    • I don't. At no point I said all the reasons I listed apply to everyone who left WoW.
    • Assuming they still find a 15-year-old game "exciting", sure;
    • Sure;
    • "Brand new Azeroth" is a blatant lie, y'know? This isn't a "new WoW", it's literally "old WoW". Other than that, this point of yours is the exact same as the previous one;
    • Ok.

Also, what about current players who are WoW zealots that never played Vanilla who want to so they can experience the entire WoW experience?
    What about them? Of course there'll be people wanting to try Classic WoW in almost every group. I have no problem with this as long as you don't claim they all do.

What about the MANY adults who played early WoW (I started at 38 in early TBC) and now kids are grown and out of the house, career is at it's peak, I have plenty of free time and vacation time to play a game I once loved passionately).
    This is literally your second point in your list, repeated, almost word-for-word: solid career, kids moved out, lots of free time.

What about the adults who have kids who are getting to the age of gaming and want to share an experience they loved with them? (multiple accounts)
    While I don't doubt this is going to happen, I'm willing to bet it'll be a highly unsuccessful endeavor. Like telling kids today to try to live without the internet or smartphones. Classic WoW is a game that really doesn't cater to the youth of today. Rewards are very slow to come, progression is very slow, etc.

What about those people who can tell you they have talked to their old WoW buddies and many of them are excited to play Classic?
    Again, literally the last point in your list, repeated.

Of course I don't expect to see 10 million players return to play Classic... but could 1 million? 2? 5? Yeah, possibly. And that'd fine with me.
    Sure, even if I think "five million" is pushing it. However, this is a departure from the original point I responded to, which was the poster claiming that "Classic WoW is being made for the tens of millions that aren't playing WoW anymore."

Classic will be perfect for casuals who have too much time but no dedication to compete.
    Those people probably already don't play live wow, so they wont be missed.

Serious players will still be playing live WoW and attracting thousands of viewers for their competitive content.

Sadly, all the "difficulty" of Classic will basically be contained in the early game.
    The end game will be rolled over, and there will be little replayability for anyone looking to do anything other than speed runs, as you see on Private servers.
    It is interesting, the whole speedrun thing though.
    I am just surprised they can keep 40 people interested in doing that sort of thing for this long.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

I don't think they care as long as they get the sub - those who only come for Vanilla will eventually out-do it and might be interested in retail, giving them some more money.

A win win.

Not much longer we will find out how many want to play Classic. If it's not that many... then I think it bodes ill for all of WoW... if it does well it might revitalize the franchise.
    Yea soon we will know how well it can retain players in 2019.

Personaly im not hding my breath, MMOS are as dead as RTS and I think the future is a couple thousand players spread across a hand full of game by the end of the the next 5-10 years.

The mmo markets terminally I'll and the wow life support is failing. And I don't think trying the older life support will help much.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Going on your list, item by item:

• You mean when I literally stated "it's not vanilla WoW anymore" as a reason they left?
    • I don't. At no point I said all the reasons I listed apply to everyone who left WoW.
    • Assuming they still find a 15-year-old game "exciting", sure;
    • Sure;
    • "Brand new Azeroth" is a blatant lie, y'know? This isn't a "new WoW", it's literally "old WoW". Other than that, this point of yours is the exact same as the previous one;
    • Ok.

What about them? Of course there'll be people wanting to try Classic WoW in almost every group. I have no problem with this as long as you don't claim they all do.

This is literally your second point in your list, repeated, almost word-for-word: solid career, kids moved out, lots of free time.

While I don't doubt this is going to happen, I'm willing to bet it'll be a highly unsuccessful endeavor. Like telling kids today to try to live without the internet or smartphones. Classic WoW is a game that really doesn't cater to the youth of today. Rewards are very slow to come, progression is very slow, etc.

Again, literally the last point in your list, repeated.

Sure, even if I think "five million" is pushing it. However, this is a departure from the original point I responded to, which was the poster claiming that "Classic WoW is being made for the tens of millions that aren't playing WoW anymore."
    Oooof reminds me of the time my mate had to let his dad down by telling him his music was lame and he wasn't into it....

I think every one's had that experience of there parents or grandparents trying to get them into what they were into, fucking awkward telling them it's boring compared to modern stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Bunch of you already said that statements
    "Assuming they still find a 15-year-old game "exciting", sure"

To each their own, right?

"Brand new Azeroth" is a blatant lie, y'know? This isn't a "new WoW", it's literally "old WoW". "

Sorry... it is brand new. The economy is new. The profession system is new... no one has it leveled nor can they run to AH to buy items to max it out first day. You can be the first to kill Hogger. The first to get their hunter pet. The first person to tame Broken Tooth. The first lock with a blueberry. The first to step foot in Stranglethorn Vale. The first gnome to be sapped by an undead rogue.

The first person with Noggenfogger. The first to combine the two sword in Zul'Farak into Zul'Thraze.

It's brand new all right. For those that don't get that... they prob SHOULD skip Classic. It's not for them.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea soon we will know how well it can retain players in 2019.

Personaly im not hding my breath, MMOS are as dead as RTS and I think the future is a couple thousand players spread across a hand full of game by the end of the the next 5-10 years.

The mmo markets terminally I'll and the wow life support is failing. And I don't think trying the older life support will help much.

- - - Updated - - -

Oooof reminds me of the time my mate had to let his dad down by telling him his music was lame and he wasn't into it....

I think every one's had that experience of there parents or grandparents trying to get them into what they were into, fucking awkward telling them it's boring compared to modern stuff.
    Yep, it's hard to say. All I can do is speak for my friends I've reached out to. To the people I've also played alongside for the past few years on unofficial servers.

There are a lot of excited people out there chomping at the bit to play Classic.

"Assuming they still find a 15-year-old game "exciting", sure"

To each their own, right?

"Brand new Azeroth" is a blatant lie, y'know? This isn't a "new WoW", it's literally "old WoW". "

Sorry... it is brand new. The economy is new. The profession system is new... no one has it leveled nor can they run to AH to buy items to max it out first day. You can be the first to kill Hogger. The first to get their hunter pet. The first person to tame Broken Tooth. The first lock with a blueberry. The first to step foot in Stranglethorn Vale. The first gnome to be sapped by an undead rogue.

The first person with Noggenfogger. The first to combine the two sword in Zul'Farak into Zul'Thraze.

It's brand new all right. For those that don't get that... they prob SHOULD skip Classic. It's not for them.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, it's hard to say. All I can do is speak for my friends I've reached out to. To the people I've also played alongside for the past few years on unofficial servers.

There are a lot of excited people out there chomping at the bit to play Classic.
    I'll say something my grandad used to say to me, "a lot is a place you park a car" . What he ment by that is don't assume the popularity of something because Alot of people near you like it "Alot" is a subjective unit if measurement, look at the wider world, No one's talking about classic in the wider gaming world, it's not slotting into many top 20 releases of 2019 lists or trending on twitter or Facebook, it's not getting the hype and frothing enthusiasm at expos like cyberpunk and the new doom.

And in the Brand new thing.... Meh your not really the first, its like a new server launch back in vanilla you weren't the first, just the first on that server, the wow firsts still stand and no one will take any claims coming from classic with the level of gravity they got back in the day.

lol classic killing retail.
    after 2 month classic will be a desert....

I'll say something my grandad used to say to me, "a lot is a place you park a car" . What he ment by that is don't assume the popularity of something because Alot of people near you like it "Alot" is a subjective unit if measurement, look at the wider world, No one's talking about classic in the wider gaming world, it's not slotting into many top 20 releases of 2019 lists or trending on twitter or Facebook, it's not getting the hype and frothing enthusiasm at expos like cyberpunk and the new doom.

And in the Brand new thing.... Meh your not really the first, its like a new server launch back in vanilla you weren't the first, just the first on that server, the wow firsts still stand and no one will take any claims coming from classic with the level of gravity they got back in the day.
    Apparently Blizzard thinks a lot of people want ti to, because they deemed it a good business decision to provide it.

So of course I'm not basing it on my own personal connections... but by what Blizzard is doing, by the community that is building on Youtube and Reddit... by the support websites gearing up to supply information about it (like Wowhead).

But thanks for gramp's saying.. he was (is?) a smart man it sound like.