Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I like how much this old thread posted by a new poster got so many people triggered. BFA is already doing an amazing job killing itself, so there won't even be anything left for Classic to kill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    Each time a server starts over... it's all brand new on THAT server. That is a world of it's own. You won;t get the same drops... you may get Rivendare on the first attempt in one Azeroth, but never see it drop ever again on any world.
    But it's still not brand new. Or... even "new", really. You've already seen it, you've already experienced it. Exact same graphics, exact same sounds, exact same mechanics, exact same lore... it's not "brand new".

When you log in fo rthe first time on a server and run to the AH? Nothing is there. And een if there were you are flat busted broke and couldn't afford it anyway.
    Still not "brand new".

you may disagree..
    I do. And so do the definitions of the words.

Actually.. .most of the people I reached out to didn't or haven't played private servers. They don't like the idea of them being able to (and often did) just shut down.

in fact I think this is a good point to make... that while there are many people who are playing or haven played on private servers... there are likely a lot more penitential players out there who simply didn't want to invest time in potentially volatile private servers. So while people like to think only private server peeps will jump on Classic.. that just isn't the case.
    So far, you only know that a significant portion of your friends does. Which mostly means that your friends have similar interests to you, which isn't exactly noteworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    So far, you only know that a significant portion of your friends does. Which mostly means that your friends have similar interests to you, which isn't exactly noteworthy.
    No... I also know that Blizzard made the business decision to produce and release Classic. I'm pretty sure they are counting on more than me and a few of my friends.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    But it's still not brand new. Or... even "new", really. You've already seen it, you've already experienced it. Exact same graphics, exact same sounds, exact same mechanics, exact same lore... it's not "brand new".

Still not "brand new".

I do. And so do the definitions of the words.
    So the next episode of Game of Thrones isn't brand new? Same actors, same storyline and locations. I've already seen these characters. Same director. Same sound effects?

Ha ha... It's a brand new server (episode) It won't happen exactly the same way as it did. Oh.. and I never played Classic... I started in BC. I have played some private servers... but that's not the same either as Classic.

brand new Azeroth. Sorry, but it is.

Totally sure that after some time of monitoring the two, they will take some of the pros of classic into current wow making it more popular and healthy as it is now

10+ Year Old Account
    So the next episode of Game of Thrones isn't brand new? Same actors, same storyline and locations. I've already seen these characters. Same director. Same sound effects?
    A new episode of "Game of thrones" itself isn't "brand new", since, like you pointed out, it brings out same actors, same locations, etc... but not the "same storyline". You won't be the exact same storyline you saw in the third episode of season 2, for example.

New episodes' story lines are new because they're not the "same storyline", but a continuation of it.

Ha ha... It's a brand new server (episode) It won't happen exactly the same way as it did.
    Unlike Game of Thrones... yes, it will. What happened in vanilla WoW will happen the same way in Classic WoW. The same villains will do the exact same thing in Classic as they did in vanilla, the same heroes will do the exact same thing in Classic as they did in vanilla. Leveling will work the same way in Classic as it did in vanilla. Rading will work the same way in Classic as it did in vanilla. Etc...

Oh.. and I never played Classic... I started in BC. I have played some private servers... but that's not the same either as Classic.
    Unless you played on pirate servers that had different inherent xp/loot/gold boosts or that altered the story or anything else... yes, you played "vanilla WoW", because they were no different that the original version

brand new Azeroth. Sorry, but it is.
    It's not. You're basically saying that re-heating the leftovers of yesterday's lunch makes it a "brand new" meal.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

Vanilla is nearly 15 years old. Come on, it's not going to touch retail.

Classic is a great opportunity for Blizzard to analyse what made vanilla so great and what the shortcomings of BfA are.

I don't BfA will just die, but the next expansion could definitely see some major overhauls especially on the class design/philosophy as well as gearing and especially about the leveling experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Senel View Post
    There are actually people that believe Classic will kill Retail? Shit...
    Exactly. Can you even kill what is already dead?

Classic will fill the content drought between patches and that is great for both games.

Quote Originally Posted by Senel View Post
    There are actually people that believe Classic will kill Retail? Shit...
    My sentiments exactly...

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Exactly. Can you even kill what is already dead?
    This is just as silly though. Current WoW is certainly not as popular as it used to be, but calling it "dead" is silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    A new episode of "Game of thrones" itself isn't "brand new", since, like you pointed out, it brings out same actors, same locations, etc... but not the "same storyline". You won't be the exact same storyline you saw in the third episode of season 2, for example.

New episodes' story lines are new because they're not the "same storyline", but a continuation of it.

Unlike Game of Thrones... yes, it will. What happened in vanilla WoW will happen the same way in Classic WoW. The same villains will do the exact same thing in Classic as they did in vanilla, the same heroes will do the exact same thing in Classic as they did in vanilla. Leveling will work the same way in Classic as it did in vanilla. Rading will work the same way in Classic as it did in vanilla. Etc...

Unless you played on pirate servers that had different inherent xp/loot/gold boosts or that altered the story or anything else... yes, you played "vanilla WoW", because they were no different that the original version

It's not. You're basically saying that re-heating the leftovers of yesterday's lunch makes it a "brand new" meal.
    Gosh man.. thanks for clearing that up. You;re right it's the same old game. What was I thinking. I'm totally NOT interested in playing that.

I mean I'd be totally odwn if it were a new server, fresh, and brand new. but... ph wait.

It is brand new in my opinion which is the one i like to play games based on.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    My sentiments exactly...

This is just as silly though. Current WoW is certainly not as popular as it used to be, but calling it "dead" is silly.
    Looked pretty dead to me last time I logged in.. even with Blizzard destroying server identity and smashing them all together to hide their ghost town of a game, only a huge fat whale with rocks for eyes wouldn't notice that they're definitely below 1M subs.

I know you people hate the idea of playing a dead game but it's time you move past your own bias and embrace the reality that you're playing a very boring and unpopular game. There's nothing wrong with playing that kind of game though.

I just think it's time to stop pretending you're not. You're only doing the game and especially yourself a disservice.
    Last edited by tikcol; 2019-05-01 at 08:18 PM.

Looked pretty dead to me last time I logged in.. even with Blizzard destroying server identity and smashing them all together to hide their ghost town of a game, only a huge fat whale with rocks for eyes wouldn't notice that they're definitely below 1M subs.

I know you people hate the idea of playing a dead game but it's time you move past your own bias and embrace the reality that you're playing a very boring and unpopular game. There's nothing wrong with playing that kind of game though.

I just think it's time to stop pretending you're not. You're only doing the game and especially yourself a disservice.
    I have to agree... furing the "free weekend" I logged in to purchase 10 game tokens for when Classic launches. While there I thought I'd have a looksee.

It was dead... only the main cities has any real activity and it was 90% people from other servers. Not even from my linked server.

I mean it's fine if people are into that. But I really enjoyed logging in and seeing people I leveld with, ran dungeons with, raided with, guildies, old guildes... you know people I "knew".

I did have one thrill. I saw an old acquaintance with his multibox setup.. something like 20 DKs. I asked him if he was playing.. and he said Nope... just popped on because of the free weekend.

No thanks.. I would rather play 15 year old content with a game that still has all the things I enjoy about an MMORPG.. with people I recognize. WE make the game.

No... I also know that Blizzard made the business decision to produce and release Classic. I'm pretty sure they are counting on more than me and a few of my friends.
    Actually, they told us it's a tiny effort and likened it more to a museum piece. They don't seem to be expecting to make much profit off it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gosh man.. thanks for clearing that up. You;re right it's the same old game. What was I thinking. I'm totally NOT interested in playing that.
    Strawman much? I never said you're "not interested in playing Classic" or anything to that effect.

I simply questioned your erroneous use of "brand new", which is an objectively wrong adjective to give to an unaltered re-release of a product, which is the case of Classic WoW.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

I will probably raid log live, and play classic otherwise. Sad state of affairs tbh.

I get why they made the decisions that they did along the way, but they killed a lot of what made wow great.

Quality of life to a lot of people was not having to play the game. They need to separate game difficulty at the realm level if they want to fix the modern game.

I'm simply stating that a game that still has active players (so what if it's less than 1 million? which i doubt anyway, but wouldn't be too surprised if it was close), is still releasing patches on a regular schedule and has the support it does from the studio really can't be called "dead."

I understand that it's declining and is likely at an all time low and it's not as popular, but that =/= dead. Calling it "dead" is an exaggeration, that's all I'm saying.

I'd wager it still has at LEAST a population close to the population of FFXIV which is a huge success and has less than a million active users (~600,000 according to the April 2019 census stats). And FFXIV is certainly not "dead" either.

Classic will never kill Current, because it's very different, and while I didn't like the systems in BFA, I still love the art / lore / music of wow, I will want to see where the new expansions go.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Castration View Post
    yes, games like Age of Conan are coming out soon and will also kill WoW.
    Lol no games have been trying for years now to kill wow and all have failed. The only thing that can kill wow is blizzard themselves and they are not far off from it.