Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post
    He tried the game in vanilla, decided its terrible, and kept playing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Classic was AAA for its time. Nothing like it. Then they modernized it and made it super friendly, and casual.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Strawman much? I never said you're "not interested in playing Classic" or anything to that effect.

I simply questioned your erroneous use of "brand new", which is an objectively wrong adjective to give to an unaltered re-release of a product, which is the case of Classic WoW.
    It is brand new, to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Retail isnt world of warcraft anymore i would consider it more of a collectors game, the players enamored by it are very young kids who dont know better and are ok with microtransactions and in game carries for gold.

Luckily for blizzard people are still having kids, retail isnt going anywhere. For the rest of us, we get classic.

Before someone makes a reply about gold carries always being a thing, yes of course this is true but with the introduction of the WoW token its now part of the culture of the game, i see just as many carry posts in trade chat as i do people selling stuff......quite disgusting if you ask me.
    Calling everyone who enjoys the same thing as you do adults and everyone who enjoys something else kids is a very kid thing to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frostyfire14 View Post
    Classic was AAA for its time. Nothing like it. Then they modernized it and made it super friendly, and casual.
    Funny how you say that, back when I played classic with all my friends we were all casuals. The people who did not play casually were very rare.

Nowadays I don't know a single player who plays retail casually. It's all mythic raiding or nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    It is brand new, to me.
    It's not, as per your own admissions. But I suppose you're misusing the term.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

It's not, as per your own admissions. But I suppose you're misusing the term.
    It is, per my own admission of never playing Vanilla. But sure man.. I'm misusing the term.

Tell ya what... how 'bout every post I talk about "brand new" you replace it with "fresh". If that is more acceptable to you, I think it suffices for the intention of my posts.

Classic has a pool of potential customers from those 100 million accounts, that are not currently playing modern WoW. Because it's FRESH. And just like vintage clothing, cars, and everything else finds a way to come back in style, to be cool again, and to be desired.

So is Classic. Cuz it's "fresh" (And brand new to me) :P

10+ Year Old Account
    It is, per my own admission of never playing Vanilla. But sure man.. I'm misusing the term.
    You admitted to playing on pirate servers.

Classic has a pool of potential customers from those 100 million accounts, that are not currently playing modern WoW.
    It doesn't, really.

Only those who left because "it's no longer vanilla WoW" but still want to play it.

Those who left for other reasons are not "potential customers". I mean, how can those who left because they no longer have the free time to dedicate to MMOs be a "potential customer"? Or those who didn't like vanilla WoW but left because some other expansion brought a change they didn't like or found a better game to dedicate themselves to?

Classic is being made for those who want to play vanilla WoW. Not for those who left for monetary reasons, lack of free time reasons, shifted priorities reasons, etc.

Because it's FRESH.
    As "fresh" as the leftover lunch from three days ago that sat in the back of the fridge all this time.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

You admitted to playing on pirate servers.

It doesn't, really.

Only those who left because "it's no longer vanilla WoW" but still want to play it.

Those who left for other reasons are not "potential customers". I mean, how can those who left because they no longer have the free time to dedicate to MMOs be a "potential customer"? Or those who didn't like vanilla WoW but left because some other expansion brought a change they didn't like or found a better game to dedicate themselves to?

Classic is being made for those who want to play vanilla WoW. Not for those who left for monetary reasons, lack of free time reasons, shifted priorities reasons, etc.

As "fresh" as the leftover lunch from three days ago that sat in the back of the fridge all this time.
    I admitted to playing on private servers. Which are not Vanilla/Classic... they are run on completely different engines with guestimate settings. It's close... but not Vanilla/Classic.

In correct. How about those that started in BC and Wrath, but didn't like Cata? or Pandaria? You know.. the ones that would jump at the chance to play Classic because they didn't when it was "brand new"! (see what I did there?)

Or ANY player who came on board during an expansion that would like to experience the birth of a server? Something very few people actually have experienced?

Keep in mind 100 million accounts were created as of 2014...

10+ Year Old Account
    I admitted to playing on private servers. Which are not Vanilla/Classic... they are run on completely different engines with guestimate settings. It's close... but not Vanilla/Classic.
    Classic WoW is also a "guesstimate". Blizzard did not have the original values for health/damage/etc for the NPCs in the game and had to work to get the best approximations.

In correct. How about those that started in BC and Wrath, but didn't like Cata? or Pandaria? You know.. the ones that would jump at the chance to play Classic because they didn't when it was "brand new"! (see what I did there?)
    Just because they started playing WoW at some later point in the game's life does not mean that they would "jump at the chance" to play Classic WoW. Your wording imply them all would want to play Classic, something that is false. However, yes, some people like that exists.

Or ANY player who came on board during an expansion that would like to experience the birth of a server? Something very few people actually have experienced?
    Is it really any different from the "day 1" of an expansion, with the starting areas for the new expansion crowded with people?

Keep in mind 100 million accounts were created as of 2014...
    Keep in mind that many of those "100 million accounts" had the same owners. Many, many players had more than one account, usually two. There are also the multi-boxers, remember? 5-man groups comprised of characters of the same race, same class, and very similar names, with all party members mirroring the exact same actions the party leader did.

Classic WoW is also a "guesstimate". Blizzard did not have the original values for health/damage/etc for the NPCs in the game and had to work to get the best approximations.

Just because they started playing WoW at some later point in the game's life does not mean that they would "jump at the chance" to play Classic WoW. Your wording imply them all would want to play Classic, something that is false. However, yes, some people like that exists.

Is it really any different from the "day 1" of an expansion, with the starting areas for the new expansion crowded with people?

Keep in mind that many of those "100 million accounts" had the same owners. Many, many players had more than one account, usually two. There are also the multi-boxers, remember? 5-man groups comprised of characters of the same race, same class, and very similar names, with all party members mirroring the exact same actions the party leader did.
    Blizzard's "guestimates"... even makes it more "brand new"

My wording implies that ALL of them are potential customers... potential implies they may or may not want to play Classic.

of course it's entirely different. You don't have mounts, the AH is empty, you are broke, you can't go to a vendor and buy allthe best crap he has without thinking about it, you don't start out wit an inventory full of pots/flasks/etc...

Completely, entirely different experience. (but you know that really)

For sure... but even if we "allowed" 5 account for every sinlge person.. that's 20 million players... and let's face it... 5 is WAY overkill as many only had 1 or MAYBE 2. I'd say at least 50-75 million unique players.

This is a strange topic... While yes, there's a possibility of Classic killing current, the probability is astronomically low and odds would extremely lean towards Classic actually dying in just a few months. We're talking like 99.99% chance of Classic being the one to die instead, at least as far as actual probability goes.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonatron View Post
    So since classic requires a bigger time investement than current wow (for casuals atleast) and since you can only play one game at a time.

I was wondering if once classic is released and everyone and their mothers will be playing it.. won't it have a negative effect on current wow playerbase and ingame activity ?

Classic still requires a sub to current wow to be played so the blizzard numbers won't realistically show who is playing what but i think Blizz might actually accidentally schoot current wow in the foot by dividing the playerbase.

I'm not waiting for wow to die in any form nor do i think it will truly die anytime soon, but with all mmo's released since launch i believe that Wow classic has the biggest chance to do what has been repeated on these forums each time a compareable mmo releases.

Will blizzard be able to convince us to play the xpac after bfa instead of classic ? for now i don't think so.

Update: Given the answers, classic wow might be the thing current retail needs to fill in the content gaps between patches and expansions.
    Both of them being on the same sub might even be a blessing instead of a curse.

Thanks for the answers and sorry if i triggered anyone with my now only 3 posts
    Its a very large stretch to be thinking that everyone and their mothers will be playing classic for more than a week.

10+ Year Old Account
    My wording implies that ALL of them are potential customers... potential implies they may or may not want to play Classic.
    How come someone who is not interested in playing Classic WoW... be someone who may want to play Classic?

For sure... but even if we "allowed" 5 account for every sinlge person.. that's 20 million players... and let's face it... 5 is WAY overkill as many only had 1 or MAYBE 2. I'd say at least 50-75 million unique players.
    Let's go with your figure: 75 million unique players.

How many, in that number, do you think are people actually interested in playing vanilla WoW? As in, stay in the game, dedicate themselves to leveling a character to level 60, participate in raiding or battlegrounds, etc... not just "log in, play for maybe an hour to get their nostalgia kick, then forget about it for a month or two"?

I hope to God that Blizz isn’t planning on having Classic as their main focus. 95% when a company has to rely on an older game or version of the game to be the main/big source of revenue, it always falls right on their faces. See Master Chief Collection in 2014. This has nothing to do with how I feel about classic btw.

Quote Originally Posted by jonatron View Post
    So since classic requires a bigger time investement than current wow (for casuals atleast) and since you can only play one game at a time.

I was wondering if once classic is released and everyone and their mothers will be playing it.. won't it have a negative effect on current wow playerbase and ingame activity ?

Classic still requires a sub to current wow to be played so the blizzard numbers won't realistically show who is playing what but i think Blizz might actually accidentally schoot current wow in the foot by dividing the playerbase.

I'm not waiting for wow to die in any form nor do i think it will truly die anytime soon, but with all mmo's released since launch i believe that Wow classic has the biggest chance to do what has been repeated on these forums each time a compareable mmo releases.

Will blizzard be able to convince us to play the xpac after bfa instead of classic ? for now i don't think so.

Update: Given the answers, classic wow might be the thing current retail needs to fill in the content gaps between patches and expansions.
    Both of them being on the same sub might even be a blessing instead of a curse.

Thanks for the answers and sorry if i triggered anyone with my now only 3 posts
    Based on your first line, what if current is the death of classic? What if, based on your first line, people realize that current is actually not bad and it ends up boosting it. What if Blizz is taking a gamble and and are handing people a classic "be careful what you wish for" and all this investment is just to prove the current path for WoW is correct?

How come someone who is not interested in playing Classic WoW... be someone who may want to play Classic?

Let's go with your figure: 75 million unique players.

How many, in that number, do you think are people actually interested in playing vanilla WoW? As in, stay in the game, dedicate themselves to leveling a character to level 60, participate in raiding or battlegrounds, etc... not just "log in, play for maybe an hour to get their nostalgia kick, then forget about it for a month or two"?
    Wait wut? Lemme fix dat:

How come someone who is not interested in playing CURRENT WoW... be someone who may want to play Classic?

I would think that was obvious. Only a small portion of those would be people who chose to not play Vanilla and left early on. Therefore the majority of them have the possibility to want to play Classic.

So they are mostly POTENTIAL customers... although as you stated many will not play for the same reasons they did not play then. The huge rush of players coming back for each expansion is a good indicator that people want to enjoy a quality MMORPG... but Blizz just cannot deliver.

Will Classic be the difference? We will see... certainly you would agree that it is a very different MMO than what it is today?t

While @jonatron and his post is full of shit, the title isn't wrong. Classic could possibly result in the death of live, regardless of how unlikely it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait wut? Lemme fix dat:

How come someone who is not interested in playing CURRENT WoW... be someone who may want to play Classic?
    No, no. What I said was correct. You stated:
    With "all" meaning all those millions of players that stopped playing WoW at some point during its life time. Included in that number are those who are not interested in vanilla WoW. So I reiterate my question:

I would think that was obvious. Only a small portion of those would be people who chose to not play Vanilla and left early on. Therefore the majority of them have the possibility to want to play Classic.
    Wrong.

There are those who started in vanilla, and played up until WoD, and are not interested in vanilla WoW. There are those who started in vanilla, and played up until Wrath, and are not interested in vanilla WoW. There are those who started in vanilla, and played up until MoP, and are not interested in vanilla WoW. Etc, etc.

Just because someone started playing during and played through all of vanilla WoW, it does not mean they're interested in playing Classic WoW again.

Hell, I'm not! I'm not interested in Classic WoW, and I played through roughly the last third of it. I played through all of TBC expansion, and I'm not interested in a "TBC Classic" server. I played through all of Wrath, and I'm not interested in a "Wrath Classic" server.

Ah, so we are discussing how much successful is going to be Classic in terms of playerbase? cool

I have zero idea...absolutely no idea.
    In one hand i can SEE it being a huge success...but im never an optimist...it would be too good to be true (for me)
    On the other hand, i can also see it being only for a small number of players...

Dude...i have no idea what is going to happen.

Hell, I'm not! I'm not interested in Classic WoW, and I played through roughly the last third of it. I played through all of TBC expansion, and I'm not interested in a "TBC Classic" server. I played through all of Wrath, and I'm not interested in a "Wrath Classic" server.
    And I AM interested in playing Classic, Classic TBC, and Classic WotLK. Your point? That you feel more people feel like you than me? Basis?

I'll let you have fun with that... in a few months, we will see how Classic does. I hope it does very well.. I suspect it will. If it does it only means good things for Modern wow... if it does poorly... well it only hurts modern WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    And I AM interested in playing Classic, Classic TBC, and Classic WotLK. Your point? That you feel more people feel like you than me? Basis?
    My point is that your claim that all who played during vanilla WoW are "potential customers" is false. One cannot be a "potential customer" if they have no interest in the product.

By your reasoning, the population of the entire world are "potential customers" for classic WoW... but so are they for modern WoW.