Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Some one who exhibits tendencies that are counterproductive to advancing their characters.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebottom View Post
    As much as everyone ties "casual" to the difficulty of content I don't fully agree with it. Someone who plays 50 hours a week and only does world quests and RP's is much more hardcore IMO than someone who is 9/9m BOD and only plays 7-10 hours a week.
    A serious argument can be made that DoubleAgent who's been out there leveling to endgame every expansion by picking flowers on Wandering Isle is one of the most hardcore players ever. He laughs at your BfA complaints about grinds, etc.

https://www.pcgamer.com/meet-wows-bi...ds-of-flowers/
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    A serious argument can be made that DoubleAgent who's been out there leveling to endgame every expansion by picking flowers on Wandering Isle is one of the most hardcore players ever. He laughs at your BfA complaints about grinds, etc.

https://www.pcgamer.com/meet-wows-bi...ds-of-flowers/
    I tried to make this point, but failed horribly at it. What i was TRYING to say was that the term "hardcore" isnt unique to wow, or gaming, and can be applied to everything and anything. What is unique, is the dedication to pursuing whatever goal you have in game. for some that is having one of every class on both factions - someone committed to leveling that many toons over each expansion is somewhat hardcore. And yeah, DoubleAgent is the PRIME example of someone doing something outside of the box, but being extremely dedicated and committed to it, and i agree that makes him hardcore.

Everyone's measure of what "hardcore" is can vary, but i think the term 'dedicated' works much better.

For me it's a mentality thing. If you settle for easy content and you don't push yourself in any way or have any aspirations to improve and do challenging content - that makes you a casual. It's not a time investment thing at all. There's a lot of casuals who sink a lot more time into the game than more hardcore players. Had a guy in my last guild who played the game 10-14 hours a day but he was definitely a casual. Most of his time he sank into the game was on things like LFR, emissaries, depleting the weekly +10 by 20 mins just to get the weekly chest at the end, and then repeating this type of content on 5-6 characters.

I'm in a 6/9m guild and we got a few players who mostly just show up for raids but outside raids only find the time to play a bit in the weekend when they push their keystones or do whatever else. They don't invest as much time as some of our other players, but they push themselves and they do challenging content and everything they do is to further their character in some way. Then you got casuals who play 3-4 hours a day who will never do a high key or mythic raiding either because they're not good enough (or willing to push themselves) OR they're not interested in it.

The way the game works now and the versatile ways of gearing, the "i dont have time" excuse is a lot less valid than it used to be. If you can find time to waste on LFR you definitely can spend that time doing a few bosses on HC instead. If you can find the time to do some timewalking, you definitely can spend that time doing a key instead, maybe try higher and higher each week. It's all about what you want from the game.

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Wrong.

Casual gamers are the bad players. Hardcore players are the good players. Semi hardcore are the casual players who mis-identify as good.
    No, we're not. Bad players are bad players. I play maybe an average of 8 hours per week but I'm not bad at the game. I've got 8 days /played on my main character since BFA launched.

someone that plays the game only a couple of hours per week, regardless of how efficient/good they are

if you're playing wow every single day and only do lfr you're not a casual
    top guild member
    multi gladiator

giving wow insight daily - expert in wow

7+ Year Old Account
    If you want to place labels on people I prefer to think of it in terms of just regular players and try hards.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyscale View Post
    Depends entirely on your usage of "casual" - it's an adjective with dual meaning in WoW-context

1. relaxed and unconcerned.
    or
    2. not regular or permanent

Solve that first and you have probably better chance of arguing.
    Heh, I didn't even know about the second meaning. I always thought casual = not serious. Like casual clothes is something comfy and not meant to be elegant or following dress code. Casual sports is playing as a means to pass time rather than aiming to reach specific goals, break records or win at any cost.

So yeah casual in wow is a player that doesn't take the game very seriously, doesn't aim to min max or reach ambitious goals, it's just a means to pass time and have some fun and will rather skip whatever they consider "unfun" or even unsub during times of little content, rather than force themselves for some bigger goal (like "character progression" or "being competitive" - it's not something casuals would be concerned with).

You can play a lot of hours and be a casual if you don't worry about optimizing, min maxing, progressing and being competitive. And no, it doesn't only apply to raiding and pvp, there are hardcore collectors or achievement grinders too, or hardcore goldmakers. It's about the attitude, not just time spent.

I think how many time you spent can't decide you are a casual player or not because the online time of many casual players is quite long.

OP is definitely not casual. Plays every day, and does Mythics...and doesn't think that's not casual.

Everyone: >Raiding and mythic+ is main way to see if a person is casual

Me: lol, good now I feel better.

Seriously, you can play a crap ton of wow but still feel and be seen as a casual. I grind a lot in wow but I still feel like a casual.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    There are probably less than 200 "hardcore" WoW players in the world. Some of them only play around the time they are chasing world firsts, and very little afterwards.

The rest are casuals. Period.