Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    5+ Year Old Account
    If there are groups of parents that do this and form a group like a lot of homeschoolers do now then it might be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeps View Post
    Do I support using cutting edge technology in the class room? Absolutely.

Do I support the idea that technology replaces teachers? Not at all. There is just something special that teachers can do to clear cobwebs in the student's head.
    I guess it depends on how much interaction (i.e. class size) you think most teachers have.

Say, students go to a classroom with their laptop (my daughter will be doing that in middle school), all the kids open it and listen to the teacher then do small online quizzes online to gauge where they're having trouble... that is something I fully endorse.
    I think there are a lot of situations where a computer can model a problem much more efficiently than a chalkboard/ book, but there's also plenty of hands on interaction required for the humanities and other more socially oriented classes I'd think.

Would need to have classes with social elements involved, liek group tasks, etc... we all hate that but it has to be done. I can easily see a FitBit like situation with socialization, "You have met your social needs for today, congratulations!" lol
    Most of my school, the teacher was dedicated to keeping students from socializing during class anyway...

An actual AI driven class room could be more tailored to the individual student than current class rooms are, by far, but of course the issue would be keeping the students engaged with the program. Socializing would be during non-technical/ informational classes as well as between classes, like recess. As teachers push for more money, alternates that are cheaper present themselves.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

I don't have a problem with home schooled situations. I mean its everyone's right to do what they want with there kids as far as I care as long as we aren't getting violent, demeaning, or sexual.

But my kids go to public school. Learn to cry kids and feel first hand what humanity is all about. Greed. No staying home with mom or me and getting the crust cut off your sandwiches until your 34.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it should eventually be half and half, but never go full online. That would be bad for social learning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Walker View Post
    You call college kids adults? But I didn't say they need it so they learn to work together. They need it for socializing, to learn hierarchy for example.
    That's all semantics. Learning how to socialize is learning how to work with others.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently the students still go to school and are in classrooms with a teacher, so those bringing up concerns about socialization have no reason to worry.

I took part in an experimental program for self paced education back in the early 70s. I'll skip over the details, but it was similar to what this article sounds like except that it was still paper based (classroom computers were still years off). It was the best educational experience I had prior to grad school. If this kind of program can get ironed out it won't be a fit for every student, but it will probably be a great advantage to some and no worse than traditional classrooms for many.

//s// Professor bungee an admitted user of Socratic method, CLA, and active learning in his own classes
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Might grow up having social issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know how far 'online classes' have advanced in the last decade, or how far they even could advance short of telecommunication (and at that point why not just be in a classroom unless we are talking about vast distances?)...

One of the classes I had to take in high school (in 2008) was online, still happened at the school, just in a computer lab instead of a classroom, and it was a joke. It was divided up into chapters/sections, whatever, and you basically just read the information and then took a multiple choice test on it and that was it. All of the chapters/sections were available right from the start, you just had to finish it by the end of the semester... I just did all of it in one go the first few days of the class and then just fucked around on the internet the whole rest of the semester. That's not to brag like "lol I'm so smart!", it was just stupidly simple with zero engagement, I almost instantly forgot everything I "learned" in that class.

Had one other online class in college (was some general education class I was required to take that was only offered online the semester I cared to do it), don't even recall what the class was about... The professor had a message board set up for "discussions" and those discussions consisted of him proposing some question about whatever the assigned reading was and then everyone responding with their response (IE: no actual discussion, just one post per person in response to the question); it was basically like a participation grade... The rest of the "class" was just him sending us an email telling us to read some book and then write a paper on it based on some question/topic he proposed, then submit it by whatever date he decided... He did that for like 5 or 6 books, that was the entirety of the "class".

Both did absolutely nothing for my education and were a complete waste of time.

This just seems like a step on the road to VR-classrooms like in Ready Player One. It's probably not even that far off.

It's an inevitable evolution of education but obviously the current incarnation of online education has both flaws and advantages.

I don't personally have the self-discipline to self-study if I'm not engrossed in the topic at hand, so I'd be hesitant to participate in this kind of education right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

Sheer economics dictates that in the future, kids will learn on a computer and not go to school. There will be less socialization because of it. But it WILL get increasingly cheaper than sending a kid to school so it cannot be stopped.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Sheer economics dictates that in the future, kids will learn on a computer and not go to school. There will be less socialization because of it. But it WILL get increasingly cheaper than sending a kid to school so it cannot be stopped.
    Lot cheaper when no one bothers to learn at all.

Bad idea, homeschooled kids are weird due to the lack of social interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by infinit View Post
    Not all social interactions are net positive.

Why not keep the automatisation to the production facilities and simply employ more teachers?
    (Yes, I know the answer is profit, twice, but that one shouldn't count.)

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    Why not keep the automatisation to the production facilities and simply employ more teachers?
    (Yes, I know the answer is profit, twice, but that one shouldn't count.)
    Average teacher quality is already not great.

Quote Originally Posted by infinit View Post
    If it was several decades ago, kids could socialize by being in a large family, joining a local church group or perhaps joining the Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts. Today, we've demolished all of that infrastructure. I imagine someone will seek to create a new government department or agency to provide socialization for children funded by federal dollars. You send your kid off to be supervised and trained by a government worker for 4 hours per day or maybe for a weekend camp.

I think the Amish will begin to pull ahead of the general population in terms of social skills.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2019-04-24 at 10:53 AM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Average teacher quality is already not great.
    Selling the the personal data of school children to international corporations known for their habit of abuse of said data for manipulation will sure improve it!

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    Selling the the personal data of school children to international corporations known for their habit of abuse of said data for manipulation will sure improve it!
    I'm fairly sure that using lectures from best teachers worldwide, even without classroom engagement, is going to be better then average teacher lecture.

Or perhaps using teachers as assistants to those.