Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    This. This is the issue that started changing my view of the modern left as well.
    You were never left if this is what swayed you. There is no positive to giving nazis a platform. Not all speech should be protected.

Quote Originally Posted by Give Sethrak Blizz View Post
    Free speech alternatives like Voat? It is funny that the only people complaining about free speach/less restricted are doing it because they want to say horribly racist stuff.
    What is wrong with that exactly? Is it simply because it effects you that it should be of a concern? I have seen it spread far beyond "racist stuff" as well... internet censorship grows like a weed spreading from one conquered corner to another.

Seems "The control" has gained too much power.

Hiding parts of society has the opposite result than you want; namely giving power to the thing you push away.
    People in time will look back and think on the days when they were in control and all the ills they saw in the world could be hidden in the dark places of the world cut off from them... sadly they learned to late that night always comes eventually and the darkness will reclaim everything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    It's not that simple. It never is. I think it's wrong to try and pin it on one side alone. Gotta keep it in context and be fair. Free speech is far more important than the left/right divide IMO. And those that touch power always seem to want to limit it, regardless of where they fall on the political spectrum.
    Left leaning swine, right leaning swine, both are fat and ready from slaughter from I see of politics these days. Sure the right tends to at least be more amusing but both are relics of a age gone by who haven't adapted to the modern world.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    You were never left if this is what swayed you. There is no positive to giving nazis a platform. Not all speech should be protected.
    There's no positive to giving communists a platform. Should their free speech rights be taken away, or is it only the people you agree with that should have free speech rights?

Yep, and as they say, light is the great disinfectant. By hiding you just create more shadows, and add on more darkness.
    I wonder at times if that is all this stems from. The fear of what happens when ideas are open to debate and things held as conventional truths are challenged. I can see a so many lies that I don't think we are really ready as a society to face.

The concept of equality between different people, old lies that can't be true scientifically but are seen as sacred cows that can not be touched. I always wonder if its the fear of people being able to freely and openly question everything they believe that is one of the great spurs to this age of trying to muzzle one another, Its a romantic thought but I have a sinking suspicion it is more out of pretty desires to be seen as virtuous or simply not be challenged.

Normies. Eternal September marked the start of the death of the "Wild West" internet, and the advent of the social media trio was the final nail in the coffin.
    Last edited by Chinese Bootlickers; 2019-04-23 at 07:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    An oppressed people become violent. If we suddenly made it illegal in the US to practice your favorite "protected" religion, they would lash out in violence. Guess they were just waiting for violence to become an option too?
    And there is no "oppression".

That's where your claims go completely off the rails.

You're free to be as racist and mean-spirited and shitty as you want to be. It's just that everyone else is free to respond to your conduct, by making their own choices about you.

You are literally arguing against freedom of association and freedom of thought/expression.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    And there is no "oppression".

That's where your claims go completely off the rails.

You're free to be as racist and mean-spirited and shitty as you want to be. It's just that everyone else is free to respond to your conduct, by making their own choices about you.

You are literally arguing against freedom of association and freedom of thought/expression.
    This doesn't really make sense as a response to the quote you mentioned in this post though. People are not free to to respond to every groups conduct by making their own choices... that undermines the entire premise of hate crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    There's no positive to giving communists a platform. Should their free speech rights be taken away, or is it only the people you agree with that should have free speech rights?
    Comparing communists to Nazis. Cool. Back in the basket with you, rofl.

The right sure loves their Nazi hate speech being protected.

In before "Communist governments have killed more people than Nazis" or some jazz.

I'd explain at length why that statement is absurd, but I don't see the point tying to explain things to the right anymore.
    Last edited by Hinastorm; 2019-04-23 at 07:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Has lost its way View Post
    This doesn't really make sense as a response to the quote you mentioned in this post though. People are not free to to respond to every groups conduct by making their own choices... that undermines the entire premise of hate crimes.
    I can't even parse what you're trying to say, here.

People are free to respond to the conduct of other groups, and to make their own choices. It's just that everyone else is also able to respond in kind, to them; that's where the bitching comes in from these people.

Hate crimes aren't relevant to this at all, because they are crimes; speech that perpetrates a hate crime is, by definition, not protected speech, to begin with.

7+ Year Old Account

As suspected. "Free speech for those I like, no rights for those I don't like".

Free speech for me, not for thee.

In before "Communist governments have killed more people than Nazis" or some jazz.

I'd explain at length why that statement is absurd, but I don't see the point tying to explain things to the right anymore.
    AKA "I probably can't"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Yay for sadism
    that's not what sadism is.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    It is what you make of it, we always end up at the golden middle and for better or worse, it's all relative to perspective and optics.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Example of a chat room conversation from the late '90s.

User 1: Fuck You!
    User 2: No, Fuck You!
    User 3:....................../´¯/)
    User 3:....................,/¯../
    User 3:.................../..../
    User 3:............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
    User 3:........../'/.../..../......./¨¯/
    User 3:........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
    User 3:.........\.................'...../
    User 3:..........''...\.......... _.·´
    User 3:............\..............(
    User 3:..............\.............\...
    User 4: Both of you STFU!
    User 3: __________________
    User 3:|^^^^^^^^^^^\||____
    User 3:| The STFU Truck |||""'|""\__,_
    User 3:| _____________ l||__|__|__|)
    User 3:|(@)@)"""""""**|(@)(@)**|(@)
    User 5:i R 1337 HaXoR
    User 6:{S Gotmail
    User 7: ne one know where to get WaReZ?
    User 3:....................../´¯/)
    User 3:....................,/¯../
    User 3:.................../..../
    User 3:............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
    User 3:........../'/.../..../......./¨¯/
    User 3:........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
    User 3:.........\.................'...../
    User 3:..........''...\.......... _.·´
    User 3:............\..............(
    User 3:..............\.............\...

I'd say the Internet has improved a lot since 20+ years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I can't even parse what you're trying to say, here.

People are free to respond to the conduct of other groups, and to make their own choices. It's just that everyone else is also able to respond in kind, to them; that's where the bitching comes in from these people.

Hate crimes aren't relevant to this at all, because they are crimes; speech that perpetrates a hate crime is, by definition, not protected speech, to begin with.
    I don't really see how your logic holds up... You think people are free to judge groups based on their conduct and beliefs while at the same time support laws that prevent them from doing so?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Has lost its way View Post
    I don't really see how your logic holds up... You think people are free to judge groups based on their conduct and beliefs while at the same time support laws that prevent them from doing so?
    Then your problem is that you aren't paying any attention to my posts, because I never said anything of the sort.

I suppose some think it would have been good if such a thing like the Arab Spring could have been prevented.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    Not hard, but I'd rather keep my RIGHT to be an asshole, if I want to. Also, it might happen that I dislike somebody so much, that I want to be an asshole to them.

So no, you don't get to take this away without a fight.
    there is no such thing as a right to be an asshole.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.