Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ...
5
13
14
15
16
17
25
... LastLast
  1. #281
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    59,511
    Quote Originally Posted by Has lost its way View Post
    This doesn't really make sense as a response to the quote you mentioned in this post though. People are not free to to respond to every groups conduct by making their own choices... that undermines the entire premise of hate crimes.
    I can't even parse what you're trying to say, here.

    People are free to respond to the conduct of other groups, and to make their own choices. It's just that everyone else is also able to respond in kind, to them; that's where the bitching comes in from these people.

    Hate crimes aren't relevant to this at all, because they are crimes; speech that perpetrates a hate crime is, by definition, not protected speech, to begin with.

  2. #282
    The Insane PC2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    15,992
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    Comparing communists to Nazis. Cool. Back in the basket with you, rofl.

    The right sure loves their Nazi hate speech being protected.
    As suspected. "Free speech for those I like, no rights for those I don't like".

  3. #283
    Herald of the Titans Helryx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,767
    Free speech for me, not for thee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    Comparing communists to Nazis. Cool. Back in the basket with you, rofl.

    The right sure loves their Nazi hate speech being protected.

    In before "Communist governments have killed more people than Nazis" or some jazz.

    I'd explain at length why that statement is absurd, but I don't see the point tying to explain things to the right anymore.
    AKA "I probably can't"

  4. #284
    Merely a Setback Connal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    29,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Has lost its way View Post
    I wonder at times if that is all this stems from. The fear of what happens when ideas are open to debate and things held as conventional truths are challenged. I can see a so many lies that I don't think we are really ready as a society to face.

    The concept of equality between different people, old lies that can't be true scientifically but are seen as sacred cows that can not be touched. I always wonder if its the fear of people being able to freely and openly question everything they believe that is one of the great spurs to this age of trying to muzzle one another, Its a romantic thought but I have a sinking suspicion it is more out of pretty desires to be seen as virtuous or simply not be challenged.
    It comes, usually, out of pain, fear, and pride.

    Having your worldview broken down is psychologically painful, you need to lose pride in yourself due to fear of if you turn out to be wrong on some issues.

    But we build up pride in this culture; pride for doing nothing.
    Last edited by Connal; 2019-04-23 at 07:56 PM.
    Vocatus atque non vocatus, deus aderit.

  5. #285
    The Unstoppable Force breadisfunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    flying the exodar...into the sun.
    Posts
    24,003
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Yay for sadism
    that's not what sadism is.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

  6. #286
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    that's not what sadism is.
    I'm not talking about sexual sadism lol.

  7. #287
    The Lightbringer
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    One path
    Posts
    3,434
    It is what you make of it, we always end up at the golden middle and for better or worse, it's all relative to perspective and optics.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

  8. #288
    Example of a chat room conversation from the late '90s.

    User 1: Fuck You!
    User 2: No, Fuck You!
    User 3:....................../´¯/)
    User 3:....................,/¯../
    User 3:.................../..../
    User 3:............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
    User 3:........../'/.../..../......./¨¯/
    User 3:........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
    User 3:.........\.................'...../
    User 3:..........''...\.......... _.·´
    User 3:............\..............(
    User 3:..............\.............\...
    User 4: Both of you STFU!
    User 3: __________________
    User 3:|^^^^^^^^^^^\||____
    User 3:| The STFU Truck |||""'|""\__,_
    User 3:| _____________ l||__|__|__|)
    User 3:|(@)@)"""""""**|(@)(@)**|(@)
    User 5:i R 1337 HaXoR
    User 6:{S Gotmail
    User 6:{S Gotmail
    User 6:{S Gotmail
    User 6:{S Gotmail
    User 6:{S Gotmail
    User 6:{S Gotmail
    User 6:{S Gotmail
    User 7: ne one know where to get WaReZ?
    User 3:....................../´¯/)
    User 3:....................,/¯../
    User 3:.................../..../
    User 3:............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
    User 3:........../'/.../..../......./¨¯/
    User 3:........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
    User 3:.........\.................'...../
    User 3:..........''...\.......... _.·´
    User 3:............\..............(
    User 3:..............\.............\...

    I'd say the Internet has improved a lot since 20+ years ago.
    Beto imploded. Watching Buttigieg, Gabbard and Warren. #LegalizeCannabis #CannabisForVets
    Two cannabis bills are currently filed in congress for the current legislative session, each numbered H.R.420 and S.420!

  9. #289
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I can't even parse what you're trying to say, here.

    People are free to respond to the conduct of other groups, and to make their own choices. It's just that everyone else is also able to respond in kind, to them; that's where the bitching comes in from these people.

    Hate crimes aren't relevant to this at all, because they are crimes; speech that perpetrates a hate crime is, by definition, not protected speech, to begin with.
    I don't really see how your logic holds up... You think people are free to judge groups based on their conduct and beliefs while at the same time support laws that prevent them from doing so?

  10. #290
    Merely a Setback Connal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    29,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus View Post
    Example of a chat room conversation from the late '90s.

    User 1: Fuck You!
    User 2: No, Fuck You!
    User 3:....................../´¯/)
    User 3:....................,/¯../
    User 3:.................../..../
    User 3:............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
    User 3:........../'/.../..../......./¨¯/
    User 3:........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
    User 3:.........\.................'...../
    User 3:..........''...\.......... _.·´
    User 3:............\..............(
    User 3:..............\.............\...
    User 4: Both of you STFU!
    User 3: __________________
    User 3:|^^^^^^^^^^^\||____
    User 3:| The STFU Truck |||""'|""\__,_
    User 3:| _____________ l||__|__|__|)
    User 3:|(@)@)"""""""**|(@)(@)**|(@)
    User 5:i R 1337 HaXoR
    User 6:{S Gotmail
    User 6:{S Gotmail
    User 6:{S Gotmail
    User 6:{S Gotmail
    User 6:{S Gotmail
    User 6:{S Gotmail
    User 6:{S Gotmail
    User 7: ne one know where to get WaReZ?
    User 3:....................../´¯/)
    User 3:....................,/¯../
    User 3:.................../..../
    User 3:............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
    User 3:........../'/.../..../......./¨¯/
    User 3:........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
    User 3:.........\.................'...../
    User 3:..........''...\.......... _.·´
    User 3:............\..............(
    User 3:..............\.............\...

    I'd say the Internet has improved a lot since 20+ years ago.
    It took skill, formatting and patience to do some of that ascii art. ;p

    It’s just much easier to be an uncouth person now. All the work was done by naïve 20 and 30 somethings that have no real experience with life, but think they can change it without consulting the older generation. That pride issue again...To make it easier.

    I’ve spoken and heard from a few elderly people, they don’t seem to think it’s getting better as a whole.
    Vocatus atque non vocatus, deus aderit.

  11. #291
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    59,511
    Quote Originally Posted by Has lost its way View Post
    I don't really see how your logic holds up... You think people are free to judge groups based on their conduct and beliefs while at the same time support laws that prevent them from doing so?
    Then your problem is that you aren't paying any attention to my posts, because I never said anything of the sort.

  12. #292
    I suppose some think it would have been good if such a thing like the Arab Spring could have been prevented.

  13. #293
    Itt: normies ruined the internet

  14. #294
    Merely a Setback Connal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    29,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Itt: normies ruined the internet
    Lol, in an odd way, yes... ;P
    Vocatus atque non vocatus, deus aderit.

  15. #295
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Lol, in an odd way, yes... ;P
    Yeah basically people started using the internet so it wasnt a hub for "social outcasts" so they were then held to basic moral standards. People started calling them out on the behaviour that made some of them outcasts in the first place. I'm not taking about being anxious or shy btw.

    So you cant say the n word on the internet anymore. Freedom of speech is dead and the internet is ruined

  16. #296
    The Insane Orange Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    001100010010011110100001101101110011
    Posts
    17,823
    Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    Not hard, but I'd rather keep my RIGHT to be an asshole, if I want to. Also, it might happen that I dislike somebody so much, that I want to be an asshole to them.

    So no, you don't get to take this away without a fight.
    there is no such thing as a right to be an asshole.
    I have a fan. Seems he was permabanned.

  17. #297
    Merely a Setback Connal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    29,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Yeah basically people started using the internet so it wasnt a hub for "social outcasts" so they were then held to basic moral standards. People started calling them out on the behaviour that made some of them outcasts in the first place. I'm not taking about being anxious or shy btw.

    So you cant say the n word on the internet anymore. Freedom of speech is dead and the internet is ruined
    It depends if you liked the Wild West in the past; were you a Cowboy or Indian?

    Do you like the excitement of a lawless land, with rules you make? Or are you a victim of the broken rules, laws and promises?

    Ideally we could get along, but historically that does not bare out. Why would the internet not be the same?
    Last edited by Connal; 2019-04-23 at 09:06 PM.
    Vocatus atque non vocatus, deus aderit.

  18. #298
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    59,511
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    there is no such thing as a right to be an asshole.
    Well, technically, you kind of do have a right to be an asshole.

    It's just that everyone else has the right to call you an asshole, and to choose to have nothing to do with you. Your boss has the right to fire you for being an asshole, your friends and family have the right to cut off contact because you're an asshole, you can get banned from local businesses because you're an asshole.

    You've got the right to be an asshole, but nobody else has any obligation to put up with it. That's the part they seem to miss, every single time.

  19. #299
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    It depends if you liked the Wild West in the past; were you a Cowboy or Indian?

    Do you like the excitement of a lawless land, with rules you make? Or are you a victim of the broken rules, laws and promises?

    Ideally we could get along, but historically that does not bare out. Why would the internet not be the same?
    I wish life was binary like that it would make it so easy.

    We can all get along a lot better than we do. Irl and on the internet.

    Will we? Probably not.

    I'm more of a fan of the cowboy who fought with the Indians against the encroaching settlement. But I'm more of a fan of people lie Hiawatha

  20. #300
    Merely a Setback Connal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    29,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    I wish life was binary like that it would make it so easy.

    We can all get along a lot better than we do. Irl and on the internet.

    Will we? Probably not.

    I'm more of a fan of the cowboy who fought with the Indians against the encroaching settlement. But I'm more of a fan of people lie Hiawatha
    Life is binary with 10,000 shades in between it.

    Cowboys and Indians did help each other. On the other hand Indians also helped the cowboys destroy other tribes.
    Vocatus atque non vocatus, deus aderit.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •