Thread: Coming Back

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Get BFA. Boost your char to lvl 110. Level up. Do world quest, world bosses and warfronts upto itemlvl 400. At this point do mythic raids or you can quit game till 8.2 if you arw not interested in collecting useless stuff you have to find your own fun. Char and gear progression is broken beyond repair.
    Last edited by Elias01; 2019-04-24 at 03:48 AM.

game is fucking garbage.

god bless

Quote Originally Posted by GrayGods View Post
    A little about me: I haven't played since the last few days of Cata, I remember Ruby sanctum (or something along those lines) being the last raid I assisted my guild through. Before going on my very extended hiatus, I played WoW quite religiously and though I didn't get into raiding until the end of the Burning Crusade, I found myself pushing the higher content through WotLK and Cata, delving deep into min/max, and even put together my own Feral guide in the beginning of Cata. At the height of the raiding days, I found the rush in pushing for server first after each raid was finished being gated. Unfortunately my living situation changed drastically and until recently I haven't had the time nor funds to get back into.

Now I find myself visiting forums daily again, and wanting to itch a scratch. Admittedly I have only a surface pro 3 right now, that I am only able to log into and play sporadically, before getting booted off due to lag. I have started eyeing up building my rig and will hopefully have it in the next 2 weeks.

With all that being said, I have found the last 5/6 years, have made DRASTIC changes to WoW and I find myself quite confused about what is happening in wow, and how exactly to get back into the swing of things.

So I come to the great community of MMO Champ, one place that I used to love and frequent, in hopes that maybe ya'll can lead me in the right direction of threads, forums and guides that I can read up on in the next 2 weeks, to catch me up on everything that I missed while away.

TL;DR; I took an extended break 5/6 years and I need help getting back into the game. Send me links/guides or tips please!!!!

Thank you!
    What can I say - welcome back. I'm not going to say,how bad everything is - there have always been doomsayers,who predicted the end of the WoW and complained about how bad the game is - and it applied for TBC;for WOTLK;for Cataclysm etc. What is the most important thing? To play the class you have the most fun with - otherwise,no matter how good the game might be,you will burn out pretty fast and get annoyed by how bad the game is. You can gear up pretty fast these days - especially,if you play the class,that is capable of healing/tanking. I personally have leveled my old shammy,playing all 3 of it's specializations and I'm having fun atm. Before I played a BM hunter,got burned out by the simplicity and boredom of the specialization and didn't play for 2 months.

So,in short,what is the most important these days - play the specialization,that seems most interesting to you and get in a good guild - they don't have to be mythic raiders,just a proper community with people who know what to do and who don't make a drama over a single wipe. If you won't do that,well - pugs can be really depressing and demotivating,full of toxic people,who don't actually know how to play,yet they are bad themselves and expect for others to carry their weight.

Quote Originally Posted by GrinnersGrin View Post
    Wait till 9.2
    the real mvp big brain

Quote Originally Posted by GrayGods View Post
    Coming Back
    Don't.

/10char

This reminds me of that free weekend that happened last month or so. I hadn't played since the middle of Legion, so thought I'd check it out. On logging in, I got an auto-quest that wanted me to start some scenario. I got flashbacks to the 10,000,000 times I had run the WoD opening scenario, and just said "nope", and logged off. lol

Hopefully you make it further!

Quote Originally Posted by Agera View Post
    Ignore the negative comments..
    No, don't ignore them. Unless all you want is an echo chamber of one-sided nonsense, anyway.

Carefully consider what both sides are saying, because there absolutely are both good and bad things going on with WoW and Blizzard right now. The shameless white-knights are just as bad as the toxic trolls(sounds like a cheesy fantasy novel), and you're going to have to sift through both in order to get a good idea of where the game is actually at.

Here's a good example: Agera, you just said "Find good people to play with". The problem with that is that any other game you played with friends or good people would be just as enjoyable. It's not the game that's good in that situation; it's the people. Don't confuse the two.

@GrayGods No amount of talking is going to convince you one way or the other. You're probably going to just have to suck it up and play. I personally think Blizzard is not the same company you remember, and the game is very different. But if you absolutely have to play it, you can just re-start your subscription and play all the expansions before BfA without paying anything extra. See if you like the new way the game plays or not.

Then if you do, drop the $$$ to buy BfA. Just be warned, right now there's very little to do in BfA besides repeating Mythic+ dungeons and raids each week. The rest of the content is super shallow. 8.2 might help with that somewhat, but you're probably better off waiting for the reviews to find out rather than getting burned for the cost of the expansion.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2019-04-24 at 11:43 PM.

As someone in the same boat as OP, and planning to come back, I have to say it’s good to see some things never change. Ask for tips, get 80 “just don’t play” comments by people who really, really need that 6 year break themselves.

Anyway, I have a question of my own. Is it better to boost a character or just level one fresh. I’m leaning towards fresh just to get myself back into the swing of things, but that’s a TON of levels. How fast is leveling nowadays?

Ignoring irrational negativity is just fine. “I can’t enjoy this game, therefore nobody can” is not a rational argument, and nobody can guise it as objective, like they love to do. It is a near sided opinion that nobody should take seriously, and if being an edge lord on a fan site makes you feel good, or cool, well then the jokes on you man.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wownoob/ This is a subreddit dedicated to new and is sometimes relevant to returning players

You might wanna save the money, my dude. Game is garbo now. Legion was a great time to return but this time it’s not. That itch you need to scratch might end up becoming inflamed and infected.

I do think that now is a good time to come back, no matter what some people here say. BfA hasn't been a great expansion, not even a good one; however, it seems poised to get at least somewhat better. If you come back now you'll most likely have enough time to catch up before 8.2 hits, and when it does hit you'll want to be caught up instead of beginning, like, leveling at that point. The lackluster endgame systems won't affect you while you're doing the catch-up, as the reward loop will work very well untill you start plateauing.

Don't come back! Remember WoW as it was from 2004-2009!

Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post
    Welcome back mate.

Don’t listen to people telling you to wait for 8.2

There is a lot of content to go through. I highly suggest that you enjoy the crap out of leveling. There is a lot of lore to cover and it’s the best thing you can do. I suggest you sweep through the lores of all the expansions you have missed and check out the raids. There is simply too much for you to cover and a lot of stories to be unwrapped.

Some zones that MUST be visited: suramar, jade forest, shadowmoon valley (if you r alliance), nagrand, stormheim, nazmir (if you are horde).

And remember to do the war campaign in its entirety. Also you can tackle the class hall storyline in legion(as each class has their own unique story. I suggest paladin or death knight being the best for me)
    Thank you for everyone that posted with their opinions, and those that linked articles/forums and guides, I do truly appreciate it!!!

As for the negative comments, like I said some things never change. I can see the negatives side of things, but through and through this has been and typically still is a premier MMO that even 15 years on, has not had any relevant challenge. (I beta tested FF, Guild Wars 2, EOS, Rift)I even had live accounts on most from that list.

As for the "don't come back" comments. This was never a question on if I should come back. The mind has already been made for me to come back. I just needed articles or places to look at to catch me up.

Good luck, the game is a shadow of what it once was, I could look past the shitstorm it is if the classes were enjoyable and immersive but they have been butchered down to retard mode. I am not interested in the story of Final Fantasy but I just downloaded it and kinda blows WoW out of the water, in every aspect asides from the fact I do enjoy the end game structure of WoW. Doesn't bother me though the game hasn't warranted a sub fee for many many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozler View Post
    I like how all the people telling him not to come back are banned. MMO-C must be white-knighting WoW now. Censor the criticism!

But for real, I'm thinking about coming back for 8.2. I want to experience the Sylvanas/Azshara/N'zoth conclusion. But I'm not sure it's worth $15 because I might log in and just be, like, "Nah, fuck this."

I think I may just wait to see the cinematics on MMO-C for free.
    I thought that for a split second too. Lol.
    Until I looked under some of their recent posts. Pretty sure using racial slurs, gets you banned in most chat forums.