Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Russian court fines Internet user 30K rubles for calling Putin a "f***wit"

A court in the Novgorod region's Chudovsky District has fined a local man 30,000 rubles ($470) for violating Russia's new law against insulting state officials on the Internet. The defendant, Yuri Kartyzhev, later uploaded a recording of the verdict being read out, where Judge Igor Ivanov says, “On March 31, 2019, at 6:45 p.m., Kartyzhev... shared on the social network VKontakte two notes with text that read ‘Putin is an unbelievable fuckwit,’ along with a graphic image of Russian President [Vladimir] Putin.”

According to human rights legal expert Pavel Chikov, Kartyzhev's case might be the first time Russia's court system has enforced the new law against insulting state officials.

https://meduza.io/en/news/2019/04/23...evable-fuckwit

In your country, do you face a fine for insulting politicians?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stands in the Fire View Post
    Not yet, but our current President is working his way towards that.

but Putin is an unbelievable fuckwit.

come at me Russia.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Hopefully it happens soon (:

i think its technically illegal to insult the king / royal familiy, but i don't think that's been enforced in my lifetime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mays a wet trout.

I'm a Brit saying this

Come at me.
    #boycottchina

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes.

/10chars
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

I am all for enforcing civility between people, but something tells me this will be used more broadly to apply to all valid criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    While simultaneously calling everyone horrible things. He'd probably have lost over a billion dollars in lawsuits by now.

OT: No because America thankfully still allows free speech.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    I am all for enforcing civility between people, but something tells me this will be used more broadly to apply to all valid criticism.
    Does this slope seem slippery to you? That's because it usually leads there.

PS: "Slope seem slippery" is a new tongue-twister.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    Does this slope seem slippery to you? That's because it usually leads there.
    Yeah, so how does one clean up the toxic waste dump of the internet without treading on free speech. Left to their own devices, humans get more toxic, not less.

Yeah, so how does one clean up the toxic waste dump of the internet without treading on free speech. Left to their own devices, humans get more toxic, not less.
    The thing about free speech is that it doesn't protect you from the social consequences of saying bad things. No one can force you to like someone spouting slurs and insults at you. People tend to shun/exile you if you're an asshole, and depending on what part of the internet you're talking about, that tends to hold true.

Free speech is only protected by your government, not by privately owned companies such as MMO-C here, and you sure as shit should NEVER be banned or blocked for legitimate criticism, otherwise the other end is the true asshole.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

>how does one clean up the toxic waste dump
    You don't. Let people be toxic.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    I wonder, if he refused to pay, would they have jailed him? If so, welcome back to the era of being jailed for saying things that the government doesn't want you to say! It's almost as if Stalin's spirit lingers...

Nope. In fact, the law says having to take more abuse comes with being a public figure. There is a threshold for defamation, but it is higher in their case.

Incidentally, tagging a building with "O1G" (shorthand for "Orbán is a prick") is a surefire way to get it painted overnight. (At least in busy areas.)

Putin is a remarkable man and deserves the utmost respect of his compatriots.

Remember folks, only insult the people without money.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Nope. In fact, the law says having to take more abuse comes with being a public figure. There is a threshold for defamation, but it is higher in their case.

Incidentally, tagging a building with "O1G" (shorthand for "Orbán is a prick") is a surefire way to get it painted overnight. (At least in busy areas.)
    Yeah, try that with posting stuff directly about him on facebook.. It has happened that people got "randomly" house searched for speaking up against him (Remember Rékasi Károly's son).
    By law it shouldnt happen in Hungary, but law means little here nowadays..

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Hopefully it happens soon (:
    Why? You want less freedom?

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Yes.

/10chars
    What? If you publicly slander a person, you might get slapped with a fine, if it goes to court and you're found guilty (Like the shitshow between junes lokka and that reporter). It's not exclusive to politicians, though, which I think they meant here.
    "It's just like I always said! You can do battle with strength, you can do battle with wits, but no weapon can beat a great pair of tits!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    Putin is a remarkable man and deserves the utmost respect of his compatriots.
    Fortunately we live in a country with free speech protections, so we can go ahead and continue posting memes like this one that got this whole "memes are sedition" rubbish started (apologies in advance mods, I have a point to make):

Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.