Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gann Stonespire View Post
    Lore says one of the unbreakable oaths of the Horde is:

"Retribution is a given right of all members of the Horde."
    He's the tauren chieftain and he decided what'll happen in Mulgore; it's obvious it won't come down to some principle that's been mentioned once in a quest by a flavour NPC. Sylvanas broke the oath numerous times, yet there we have her sitting on the throne of the warchief. It's almost like the more times you break the oath-oaths (as in not your trivial random NPC questgiver oath), the bigger your chance of becoming warchief nowadays.
    Last edited by Magnagarde; 2019-05-05 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grazrug View Post
    Yet somehow that mad woman Christie Golden tries telling us something about him being the best the Horde has to offer. It is a shame how pathetic this faction has becoming since human potential and bad writing are in full swing.
    Its terrible.. I get they want to get a reaction out of storytelling, but bfa story is flatout bad. Baine was never my favorite, but hes gone from boring to I hate him now.

Bumped into this video on Youtube. Come to find out this isn't even his first rodeo of "denying retribution." I'd still say it turned out for the best. Retribution was not the answer.

Baine is a diplomat. If he can find better solutions that benefit his people rather than pulling them into further costly war, he does.

Who would've guessed Baine is an utter failure and self-imposed guilt driven pathetic creature
    S.H.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Baine is a diplomat. If he can find better solutions that benefit his people rather than pulling them into further costly war, he does.
    You know that event ended up in failure, as the quillboar were still hostile and attacking the tauren.

Quote Originally Posted by Gann Stonespire View Post
    Lore says one of the unbreakable oaths of the Horde is:

"Retribution is a given right of all members of the Horde."

Yet in Tides of War, Baine says fuck that shit and exiles the tauren braves defending the great gate of Mulgore from the Alliance military simply due to his Alliance obsession. This included the tauren that helped him reclaim Thunderbluff from the Grimtotem.

No wonder why virtually only Alliance players like Baine..
    An oath is a two way street. It's a promise made both ways. One of alliance and the other not to abuse that alliegance. There are usualy explicit terms in an oath or implicit one common one is that a person offering his allegiance under oath would not by that loyalty brought into a position of dishonour, such as oaths sworn by knights to a king
    Classic WoW, is just Brexit. Bunch of dudes missing the glory of the past, all with vastly different opinions of how to get there, but ultimately heading for a World of Disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    You know that event ended up in failure, as the quillboar were still hostile and attacking the tauren.
    Did it? As far as I know we haven't heard anything in particular from them since Cataclysm and the probably unrelated quillboar attacks on the kul'tirans.

At the least it seems like things got "back to normal."

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    An oath is a two way street. It's a promise made both ways. One of alliance and the other not to abuse that alliegance. There are usualy explicit terms in an oath or implicit one common one is that a person offering his allegiance under oath would not by that loyalty brought into a position of dishonour, such as oaths sworn by knights to a king
    But the terms of the oath in the Horde is that the members of the Horde are "the tools of the Warchief". With the terms giving a power so broad to the higher-ranked party it's really hard for them to actually abuse their position.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Slant is an extremist, willing to sacrifice the lives of everyone to keep his wet dream of the EU alive.
    You shouldn't support people like him, it's like supporting ISIS.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    But the terms of the oath in the Horde is that the members of the Horde are "the tools of the Warchief". With the terms giving a power so broad to the higher-ranked party it's really hard for them to actually abuse their position.
    There's never been an oath in the history of mankind where those taking the oath are "tools", that's the position of a serf, oaths are conditional, the allegiance is only guaranteed as long as the cinditns remain as such that the promise can be kept.
    Classic WoW, is just Brexit. Bunch of dudes missing the glory of the past, all with vastly different opinions of how to get there, but ultimately heading for a World of Disappointment.

Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Come on, don't tell me that trying to negotiate with some albino deep-dwelling mutants could possibly be bad idea ?

Did it? As far as I know we haven't heard anything in particular from them since Cataclysm and the probably unrelated quillboar attacks on the kul'tirans.

At the least it seems like things got "back to normal."
    Nope they attack the tauren shortly afterwards

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Bristleback_tribe
    https://wow.gamepedia.com/The_First_Step_(Mulgore)

He doesn't do anything to benefit the tauren. He didn't stop the Alliance from breaking into Mulgore, the tauren he exiled and the orcs sent from Garrosh saved the tauren. As for being a diplomat, Rokhan already showed himself a superior diplomat at Zandalar.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnagarde View Post
    He's the tauren chieftain and he decided what'll happen in Mulgore
    The tauren Highchieftain is supposed to serve all the tauren tribes and ensure their protection, not the other way around. Any leader who decides their people should die rather then fight back deserves to be overthrown.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnagarde View Post
    Sylvanas broke the oath numerous times, yet there we have her sitting on the throne of the warchief. It's almost like the more times you break the oath-oaths (as in not your trivial random NPC questgiver oath), the bigger your chance of becoming warchief nowadays.
    How many does it need to be said, this thread is not about Sylvanas..

Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    While I can't find any source on the order of the two events to confirm, it still certainly seems a pattern that even when Baine pulls off some successful diplomacy it backfires eventually due to an unknowable combination of "Baine's actually not very good at this" and "we need more conflict in our war-themed video game."

At least with Jaina when her diplomacy attempts failed enough times she gave up. Maybe that's it, we need the Alliance to burn down Mulgore.

On the note of "Baine's attempt at being diplomatic to foster long-term peace backfiring" I'm remembering people's fan theories that Sylvanas actually pulled off the brainwashing before he got on the boat. For goodness sake Blizzard, if that turns out to be true, just let us execute Baine ourselves.

As much as he "has a good heart", his track record of actual long-term successes is one of the worst. I think we can actually say at this point that he's worse than Anduin, who is practically the trope namer for "lawful stupid", but unlike Baine, has gotten better over time.

Hasn't been mentioned yet but he was also indirectly responsible for all the crap Lorewalker Dezco and his family went through. Sought a vision of a promised land, just wound up with most of his family dead. And within a few months said promised land got sha-polluted anyway.

(and yes it probably seems like I've completely turned on Baine but I still maintain that his intentions are good, it's just that reflecting on the outcome of those, it usually ends badly.)
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2019-05-06 at 12:06 AM.