Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Are you a plant enthousiast? What your garden like?

Do you have a garden? Good for you! Chances are you are a plant enthousiast, you let nature take its turns, or youve covered it entirely in tiles and brick.

Personally, im all about the exotic plants. Banana trees, hedychiums, orchids, hemerocallis, palms and whatnot. I compost, i make different blends of earth for my plants to put them in , i mulch, etc. It takes me about half an hour a week to keep everything neat (mowing the grass etc)

As a result, my garden is full of bees, beetles, spiders, butterflies and other little creatures. And small birds feeding on them. A rather enjoyable sight.

Its rather costly (especially the breeds of orchids which can go up to 100 euros per plant) and its alot of work and planning, but its allmost therapeutic working in my garden.

So are you also a plant enthousiast? Do you have a garden? If so what plants do you grow?
    Last edited by Thereturn; 2019-04-24 at 08:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't go out of my way to plant stuff that can't thrive in the pacific NW. I have a few garden beds that I plant yearly. Have a bed dedicated to perennials that I plant midway through winter, another bed that's full sun for specific vegetables and a partial sun bed for other things. I don't go hog wild and plant more than I can handle, but I make sure what I do plant receives proper attention/nutrition. The most satisfying part IMO is picking the weeds and having everyone growing in a nice clean line.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Thereturn View Post
    Do you have a garden? Good for you! Chances are you are a plant enthousiast, you let nature take its turns, or youve covered it entirely in tiles and brick.

Personally, im all about the exotic plants. Banana trees, hedychiums, orchids, hemerocallis, palms and whatnot. I compost, i make different blends of earth for my plants to put them in , i mulch, etc. It takes me about half an hour a week to keep everything neat (mowing the grass etc)

As a result, my garden is full of bees, beetles, spiders, butterflies and other little creatures. And small birds feeding on them. A rather enjoyable sight.

Its rather costly (especially the breeds of orchids which can go up to 100 euros per plant) and its alot of work and planning, but its allmost therapeutic working in my garden.

[IMG]https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/de-tuin-van-de-orchidee-9620775.jpg[/]

So are you also a plant enthousiast? Do you have a garden? If so what plants do you grow?
    No, but I love the way it looks. The house I bought, the former homeowner put in 10k of landscaping around the house. It sucks on the upkeep but it looks so good I don't want to remove it. I am actually looking for someone to redo weed barrier, pulls weeds and throw down some fresh rock.

Part of the problem I had was that she didn't know anything about landscaping so she put stuff in not knowing how big it will grow, I have had to relocate things...

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    No, but I love the way it looks. The house I bought, the former homeowner put in 10k of landscaping around the house. It sucks on the upkeep but it looks so good I don't want to remove it. I am actually looking for someone to redo weed barrier, pulls weeds and throw down some fresh rock.

Part of the problem I had was that she didn't know anything about landscaping so she put stuff in not knowing how big it will grow, I have had to relocate things...
    The first home we bought, the previous owner had planted a pine tree too close to the home and it was starting to crack the foundation, so I cut it down. So people do not think about the fact, trees and bushes, grow. And the power of a tree or bush's roots growing can be amazingly strong.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

I grow herbs. Having access to fresh basil, cilantro, mint, etc is invaluable. Vegetables not so much; they're super cheap at farmers markets.

Someday, when my state goes legal, I'll have a plant or two of weed.

I have some herbs growing on my window ledges which provide good smells (especially the mint), brighten the place up and are handy in cooking

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    So people do not think about the fact, trees and bushes, grow. And the power of a tree or bush's roots growing can be amazingly strong.
    the effect is seen on a lot of the roadsides over here. lots of trees planted lining the roads, looks nice... until a few years later and the roots are tearing up the pavement and road making safety hazards for pedestrians and cars alike
    Last edited by rayvio; 2019-04-24 at 10:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have 8 houseplants in my apartment and 3 at work that are doing quite nicely. This is after trying and failing with many plants, some of which weren't suited to the environment, and some of which I didn't care for properly.

If I had a detached home I would definitely have a garden.

Quite a few Azaleas out front along with two rather large oaks, crepe myrtles and daisies on the side(corner lot).

Half our apartment is filled with plants. Really not my thing, but I just play along because they make my girlfriend happy.

I'm in NY. I plant veggies and berries, have a big compost pile too. Transformed my clay soil into black gold.

I grew sunflowers last year. So relaxing in the sunset watching 100+ bees on the sunflowers.

Then I got squirrels trying to eat my sunflowers, cats trying to eat squirrels and my dog chasing cats.
    Anti-War / Anti-CIA / Cynic / Unpopular Opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    The first home we bought, the previous owner had planted a pine tree too close to the home and it was starting to crack the foundation, so I cut it down. So people do not think about the fact, trees and bushes, grow. And the power of a tree or bush's roots growing can be amazingly strong.
    Oh wow! I can see that happening though. My former owner planted a row of trees and crate Crape Myrtles. When I had the city come out and mark the water lines, guess where the line ran through? /sigh I am guessing I will be relocating them too.

We had a guy come out to judge our landscaping, if we hire him he's going to relocate some things and remove others. I have blushes getting chocked out by others, hen he will but down a weed barrier and rock. I am waiting on a quote but I am expecting it to be a least 2k... damn landscaping, I love it but it's a lot of upkeep, especially when it wraps around your house.

Bought a house in August. Got a garden now, no idea where to start so focusing on trying to keep the 150-200 odd fish in the pond alive first, and just cut back the stuff that's dominating too much, plant-wise, and trying to read up on various things. Have to be honest it wasn't anything that interested me before and I wanted the garden because at some point my partner and I want to get a dog, so my horticultural knowledge extends as far as "sunlight good. Too much water bad". That said, seeing everything go absolutely nuts in the last 3 weeks or so compared to the winter "death" has been pretty awesome, and we went to the RHS show in Cardiff a few weeks ago and bought some more things to try and keep alive.

Something to do, I suppose
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

I use to be a landscaper and wed plant flower beds for businesses. I loved it. I live in an apt atm and the balcony faces the north so I cant grow many things on it. My mom has a lot of land tho and we have a garden. Green beans, peppers, broccoli, a ton of cherry tomatoes, and a whole big mess of raspberry vines

7+ Year Old Account

This is just my personal chili patch. I also grow tomatoes, pumpkins, and green beans + various other crops for a friend's seed business.

I also have some fruit trees, berries and grapes. I have pawpaws(asimina triloba) that I'm very excited to try in a few years time.

15+ Year Old Account
    As a biologist, I'm big on plants. Unfortunately my apartment doesn't come with a garden so I'll have to be contend with some hanging planters on my balcony.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Yes, I am doing a proper small garden this year, also I am getting very experienced with growing Cannabis which is probably the most fun I have had growing a plant.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Yeah, I'm an enthusiast. I don't currently have a garden as it's not legal to where I live. The last garden I had was an ebb and flow hydroponics setup.
    How can a garden be illegal?
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    My garden was medicinal in nature.
    Haha ait, that makes sense. I can't wait to grow my own medicinal garden, I'm hoping the Dutch government makes it legal soon. It seems to be a good economic choice too looking at parts of the US and Canada.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    How can a garden be illegal?
    A lot of cities make it illegal.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

I am not putting up photographs of my garden right now. Landscaping designed with 10 inches or less rain per year does not do well it rains over 40 inches week after week. It is May and it is still raining in San Diego with more rain expected over the weekend. My garden is full of weeds right now. Not the smokeable kind of weeds.