Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Sounds dumb. Any animal could eat this. Including family pets.
    Family pets shouldn't be roaming.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    It's not our place to correct that. They're there and they're thriving. Nature is cruel. Also total horseshit about not being able to save the kittens. From the sounds of it that man is enjoying his job a little too much.
    It absolutely is our place to correct that, humans introduced cats to Australia. They are not native.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    I'm new to this information. Is there some reason why rounding up the cats and spade/neuter wasn't working? I have to assume that something went really wrong there, because dropping poisoned food randomly into an area seems like a last resort approach after other attempts have failed.
    Probably because it's not feasible to catch and neuter feral cats roaming outside of major cities. Australia is a big place, and it has a lot of areas that humans don't visit often.
    I may pay my subscription every month, but I don't lose sight of the fact that the other 4/9/24/39 people I'm grouped with pay too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I don't live in Australia and if cats are threatening native populations, as it has been put desperate calls for desperate measures, however I will admit this seems like an EXTREMELY BAD idea, how are they sure only cats will be killed. and also can that poison go into whatever wild life I assume might eat these dead cats.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Because some Bush ranger will go around killing peoples pets for a bounty.
    That's the stupidest thing I've heard to date.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    ... because as we all know, only cats eat meat...
    They are using Sodium fluoroacetate, which is known as 1080. Already used in New Zealand, although not without controversy thanks to people with the same IQ as an Anti-vax mum.

It's toxic to dogs, foxes, and cats (well, most mammals really) and is not harmful to birds, reptiles, amphibians, and the 44 species of mammals native to Australia (this is because many native Australian plants already contain Sodium fluoroacetate and native animals have built a natural resistance to this toxin).

It's highly soluble and biodegradable, which means it will only last days in the hot and humid environments it will be used in.

It will kill pets if you allow them to roam, which quite frankly you shouldn't.
    I may pay my subscription every month, but I don't lose sight of the fact that the other 4/9/24/39 people I'm grouped with pay too.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
    It absolutely is our place to correct that, humans introduced cats to Australia. They are not native.
    So what that they're not native? We shouldn't be interfering any more than we already have. The only reason that the "don't interfere with nature" crowd is fine with this is because it's brutal and sates their bloodlust.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Well I don't live in Australia and if cats are threatening native populations, as it has been put desperate calls for desperate measures, however I will admit this seems like an EXTREMELY BAD idea, how are they sure only cats will be killed. and also can that poison go into whatever wild life I assume might eat these dead cats.
    The Australian government isn't the smartest in the world, but even they know to look at the possible secondary effects. They aren't going to leave this stuff in cities, this is for areas overrun in the wild.

They don't just pepper the outback with sausage, they pick specific travel paths of wild animals they want to eradicate, and they've selected a poison that doesn't affect the native species they are trying to protect.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    because it's brutal and sates their bloodlust.
    So you obviously know nothing about the poison they use then.

15+ Year Old Account
    So if someones family pet, cat died from this, could they sue and have a chance of winning?
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    The Australian government isn't the smartest in the world, but even they know to look at the possible secondary effects. They aren't going to leave this stuff in cities, this is for areas overrun in the wild.

They don't just pepper the outback with sausage, they pick specific travel paths of wild animals they want to eradicate, and they've selected a poison that doesn't affect the native species they are trying to protect.
    Yeah I am surprised this isn't much easier to deal with, cats only live what 20 years max right, spay and neuter effectively, and clamp down on any imports, I have to think they would naturally thin out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladesyphon View Post
    Welcome to Australia. The place might be a first world country, but it's still incredibly backwards in literally everything it does. It's one of the reasons I've no interest in going over there - they're just not people I'd ever want to associate with.
    But why ? you should like such a young charming yellow we would all be happy to meet..

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I am surprised this isn't much easier to deal with, cats only live what 20 years max right, spay and neuter effectively, and clamp down on any imports, I have to think they would naturally thin out.
    Australia is a big place, with large tracts of land that see no human presence for months or years at a time, which allows feral populations to grow unchecked. Most of the Australian population is limited to Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, and Adelaide.

Catch and neuter doesn't work because you'd need to stretch resources out over such large land areas that it's not viable. It's not just a matter of money, there literally aren't enough people in Australia to do it (at least not without taking people away from other jobs).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    So if someones family pet, cat died from this, could they sue and have a chance of winning?
    It's unlikely. They don't make a secret of where they are baiting, and farmers who shoot cats aren't exactly in metropolitan areas where most of Australia lives.

10+ Year Old Account
    Australia is a big place, with large tracts of land that see no human presence for months or years at a time, which allows feral populations to grow unchecked. Most of the Australian population is limited to Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, and Adelaide.

Catch and neuter doesn't work because you'd need to stretch resources out over such large land areas that it's not viable. It's not just a matter of money, there literally aren't enough people in Australia to do it (at least not without taking people away from other jobs).

Gotcha, not living there hard to imagine Cats doing as well in the wild alone, thanks for the information.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    The strategy that the Scottish Wildcat Assiociation uses is called TNR (Trap, Neuter, Return) self explainatory, its a kind of middle ground solution, morally it stands up and cost wise its genuinely cheaper than euthanasia. Additionally they are trying to make it so that all cats that free roam have to be micro-chipped and neutered so that they cant spread or inbreed with native species.

This among other tactics seems to be working, but as always ignorant owners are the biggest issue, tackling the cat problem around the world really has to come from government, the average person isnt responsible enough to ensure their cat doesnt cause an ecological disaster.

I couldnt say if this approach would work for Australia (being absolutely massive and all) but local opposition to culls could be sated with this method. Regardless people really need to learn how to own pets, its getting beyond a joke.
    It wouldn't work for Australia with the size of the country (moreso due to the size of uninhabited areas). The outrage comes mainly from hipsters in city areas and somehow mainly from overseas.

You're absolutely right, people need to learn how to have pets. Even in the article, the principal scientist working on the poison option has two cats of his own. He understands the damage and is doing something about it. The average owner sits back and posts instagram photos of Mr. Bigglesworth, gushes, and then proceeds to let him outside at night where he attacks native wildlife unchecked.

We created this mess by introducing a species into an ecological system that has very few apex predators. It's on us to fix this.

- - - Updated - - -

Gotcha, not living there hard to imagine Cats doing as well in the wild alone, thanks for the information.
    Most domestic cats (and ferals) can trace their heritage back to African wild cats. They are exceptional at surviving in places like Australia because they are still biologically adapted to desert like environments.

Most cats can get their water intake from eating alone, which is a testament to how much they have evolved to live in places like the Sahara. Put them in places that have abundant water and prey that has no natural fear and they thrive like no other mammal on earth (except maybe us).

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm of a mind that the better option isn't killing feral cats, but wiping out more of humanity to even things out better. mankind causes more damage to the ecosystem then any wild animal can.
    #boycottchina

Pellet guns, easier than sausages.

10+ Year Old Account
    It wouldn't work for Australia with the size of the country (moreso due to the size of uninhabited areas). The outrage comes mainly from hipsters in city areas and somehow mainly from overseas.

You're absolutely right, people need to learn how to have pets. Even in the article, the principal scientist working on the poison option has two cats of his own. He understands the damage and is doing something about it. The average owner sits back and posts instagram photos of Mr. Bigglesworth, gushes, and then proceeds to let him outside at night where he attacks native wildlife unchecked.

We created this mess by introducing a species into an ecological system that has very few apex predators. It's on us to fix this.

- - - Updated - - -

Most domestic cats (and ferals) can trace their heritage back to African wild cats. They are exceptional at surviving in places like Australia because they are still biologically adapted to desert like environments.

Most cats can get their water intake from eating alone, which is a testament to how much they have evolved to live in places like the Sahara. Put them in places that have abundant water and prey that has no natural fear and they thrive like no other mammal on earth (except maybe us).
    Yeah, I guess being an American and viewing them differently some what, cute adorable bundles of fur for the most part, but yeah I can't imagine something this extreme being the first idea, but just again seems really counter productive. But I will refrain from any more ignorant comments on that

10+ Year Old Account
    I always knew australia was a sick place. They tried to pull this shit in germany but it failed thanks to strong resistance and smart politicians.
    Last edited by Masser; 2019-04-26 at 11:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I guess being an American and viewing them differently some what, cute adorable bundles of fur for the most part, but yeah I can't imagine something this extreme being the first idea, but just again seems really counter productive. But I will refrain from any more ignorant comments on that
    It's certainly not ignorant to have a discussion.

America is an interesting case, as you already had cats in the form of mountain lions and bobcats prior to human arrival (or so I'm led to believe), so it doesn't look like feral cats have had as bad of an impact. That said, it's always wise to keep cats indoors where practical.

They're a devastating invasive species, and feral cats here in the US are estimated to kill over a billion wild birds every year. Cats are vicious little murder machines; if you want to keep one, keep it indoors.

Quote Originally Posted by Soot View Post
    You must undstand that the wild cats are an extreme problem to the native species. They hunt EVERYTHING that isn't bigger than them. They can eradicate other species because cats are superb hunters. Not to mention the disease they can carry with them AND the danger they pose to house pets.
    Would you rather the man had left them to die a slow death? There was no saving those kittens.

It's the only solution.
    There are ways of killing that don’t serve as some form of twisted satisfaction for individuals with screwed up heads.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by iindigo View Post
    There are ways of killing that don’t serve as some form of twisted satisfaction for individuals with screwed up heads.
    This concept here comprises about half the thread by volume, but I don't hear any better suggestions. Hunting cats is not a viable way of eliminating them, they are much too illusive, and it takes a staggering amount of manhours to get significant results. Introducing another species to eat the cats will ALWAYS backfire, we have tried similar things dozens of times, and it always makes things worse.

I don't think anyone is getting much satisfaction from poisoning them, but if this problem isn't resolved quickly then we are going to lose even more native species that are absolutely unique. There aren't other animals like Australian ones anywhere in the world, once they are gone, we are never getting them back. This is an extreme solution, and I am not comfortable with it either, but it might be the least bad option here.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    The poison they are using, according to the article, has a compound that native species can tolerate but the cats can't.
    Depends. I mean, if they were born there and have lived there, then that is such a bs thought on their part. The only way that Might work is if they are farily new. But, its an island. How new could any of them actually be?

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post

I wonder however if its possible to re-train those feral cats back to normal pets or they are to far gone.
    It absolutely is. I did it when I was younger. This is just idiocy of the highest caliber.

This is just stupid. They are going to do far more damage then good. If it was that simple to get rid of an invasive species, you would hear of this happening all the time. There are invasive species everywhere you look. From plants to animals. Its not an easy thing to control.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?