Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
4
5
6
  1. #101
    Herald of the Titans Thekri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Somewhere that is probably not inside a tank
    Posts
    2,979
    Quote Originally Posted by iindigo View Post
    There are ways of killing that don’t serve as some form of twisted satisfaction for individuals with screwed up heads.
    This concept here comprises about half the thread by volume, but I don't hear any better suggestions. Hunting cats is not a viable way of eliminating them, they are much too illusive, and it takes a staggering amount of manhours to get significant results. Introducing another species to eat the cats will ALWAYS backfire, we have tried similar things dozens of times, and it always makes things worse.

    I don't think anyone is getting much satisfaction from poisoning them, but if this problem isn't resolved quickly then we are going to lose even more native species that are absolutely unique. There aren't other animals like Australian ones anywhere in the world, once they are gone, we are never getting them back. This is an extreme solution, and I am not comfortable with it either, but it might be the least bad option here.

  2. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    The poison they are using, according to the article, has a compound that native species can tolerate but the cats can't.
    Depends. I mean, if they were born there and have lived there, then that is such a bs thought on their part. The only way that Might work is if they are farily new. But, its an island. How new could any of them actually be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post

    I wonder however if its possible to re-train those feral cats back to normal pets or they are to far gone.
    It absolutely is. I did it when I was younger. This is just idiocy of the highest caliber.

    This is just stupid. They are going to do far more damage then good. If it was that simple to get rid of an invasive species, you would hear of this happening all the time. There are invasive species everywhere you look. From plants to animals. Its not an easy thing to control.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

  3. #103
    While I agree that it seems risky, the fact is that pretty much all native Australian meat eating animals are extinct by now or only have a very limited range so it could work as intended.
    The message from Trump could not be clearer, "We do not have 'allies'. We do not have 'trade partners'. We do not have 'common ground' or 'common interests'. We do not have 'strategic alliances'. We do not honor 'agreements'."

  4. #104
    Epic! Snuffleupagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    In front of my keyboard.
    Posts
    1,562
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Depends. I mean, if they were born there and have lived there, then that is such a bs thought on their part. The only way that Might work is if they are farily new. But, its an island. How new could any of them actually be?
    Cats are new by hundreds of years, which means they haven't evolved to resist 1080 toxin.

    All the mammals of Australia have been around in Australia for thousands of years and have had long enough to evolve resistance to 1080 toxin as it naturally occurs in many native plants.

    The reason you don't hear about this being done in other countries is because their ecological systems are very different and it would be disastrous to release 1080 toxin into the ecosystem.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    While I agree that it seems risky, the fact is that pretty much all native Australian meat eating animals are extinct by now or only have a very limited range so it could work as intended.
    Or have natural resistance to 1080 due to it occuring in quite a few native plants.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    This is just stupid. They are going to do far more damage then good. If it was that simple to get rid of an invasive species, you would hear of this happening all the time. There are invasive species everywhere you look. From plants to animals. Its not an easy thing to control.
    Better do nothing then, right? Let's rid ourselves of those pesky native animals, no great loss.
    I may pay my subscription every month, but I don't lose sight of the fact that the other 4/9/24/39 people I'm grouped with pay too.

  5. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    So if someones family pet, cat died from this, could they sue and have a chance of winning?
    They should keep their cat's on their property.
    The message from Trump could not be clearer, "We do not have 'allies'. We do not have 'trade partners'. We do not have 'common ground' or 'common interests'. We do not have 'strategic alliances'. We do not honor 'agreements'."

  6. #106
    They've done this before with the rabbit plague in the 50's and the 90's. It's a temporary measure, eventually the cats will become resistant. Body count will be quite high, regardless.

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post

    Better do nothing then, right? Let's rid ourselves of those pesky native animals, no great loss.
    Right. Better do nothing the more damage then good. The implications of what could go wrong far outweigh the possible positives. Take for example the toxin. It can still very much kill other animals. Their main plainis putting them in hard pills. They Hope that will ensure other animals would spit them out and not eat them. So the sausage itself isn't poisonous. Its that small pill that they hope the cats swallow whole. Seems like a crappy thing to me.

    Not to mention how inhumane it is for them to die like that and how a lot of the natives are sure its a distraction from other issues they are facing right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

  8. #108
    Epic! Snuffleupagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    In front of my keyboard.
    Posts
    1,562
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Right. Better do nothing the more damage then good. The implications of what could go wrong far outweigh the possible positives. Take for example the toxin. It can still very much kill other animals. Their main plainis putting them in hard pills. They Hope that will ensure other animals would spit them out and not eat them. So the sausage itself isn't poisonous. Its that small pill that they hope the cats swallow whole. Seems like a crappy thing to me.

    Not to mention how inhumane it is for them to die like that and how a lot of the natives are sure its a distraction from other issues they are facing right now.
    Your post demonstrates you know nothing about the poison they are using.
    I may pay my subscription every month, but I don't lose sight of the fact that the other 4/9/24/39 people I'm grouped with pay too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •