Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Depends. I mean, if they were born there and have lived there, then that is such a bs thought on their part. The only way that Might work is if they are farily new. But, its an island. How new could any of them actually be?
    Cats are new by hundreds of years, which means they haven't evolved to resist 1080 toxin.

All the mammals of Australia have been around in Australia for thousands of years and have had long enough to evolve resistance to 1080 toxin as it naturally occurs in many native plants.

The reason you don't hear about this being done in other countries is because their ecological systems are very different and it would be disastrous to release 1080 toxin into the ecosystem.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    While I agree that it seems risky, the fact is that pretty much all native Australian meat eating animals are extinct by now or only have a very limited range so it could work as intended.
    Or have natural resistance to 1080 due to it occuring in quite a few native plants.

- - - Updated - - -

This is just stupid. They are going to do far more damage then good. If it was that simple to get rid of an invasive species, you would hear of this happening all the time. There are invasive species everywhere you look. From plants to animals. Its not an easy thing to control.
    Better do nothing then, right? Let's rid ourselves of those pesky native animals, no great loss.
    I may pay my subscription every month, but I don't lose sight of the fact that the other 4/9/24/39 people I'm grouped with pay too.

They've done this before with the rabbit plague in the 50's and the 90's. It's a temporary measure, eventually the cats will become resistant. Body count will be quite high, regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post

Better do nothing then, right? Let's rid ourselves of those pesky native animals, no great loss.
    Right. Better do nothing the more damage then good. The implications of what could go wrong far outweigh the possible positives. Take for example the toxin. It can still very much kill other animals. Their main plainis putting them in hard pills. They Hope that will ensure other animals would spit them out and not eat them. So the sausage itself isn't poisonous. Its that small pill that they hope the cats swallow whole. Seems like a crappy thing to me.

Not to mention how inhumane it is for them to die like that and how a lot of the natives are sure its a distraction from other issues they are facing right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

10+ Year Old Account
    Right. Better do nothing the more damage then good. The implications of what could go wrong far outweigh the possible positives. Take for example the toxin. It can still very much kill other animals. Their main plainis putting them in hard pills. They Hope that will ensure other animals would spit them out and not eat them. So the sausage itself isn't poisonous. Its that small pill that they hope the cats swallow whole. Seems like a crappy thing to me.

Not to mention how inhumane it is for them to die like that and how a lot of the natives are sure its a distraction from other issues they are facing right now.
    Your post demonstrates you know nothing about the poison they are using.
    I may pay my subscription every month, but I don't lose sight of the fact that the other 4/9/24/39 people I'm grouped with pay too.