Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What is your favorite part of each expansion?

I read an article recently about how overworked game developers can be, so I felt bad and thought it could be potentially helpful to see what people think are their favorite aspects of each expansion (yes, that means WoD, too). I'll start:

I loved the reputation quests in TBC and WoTLK, and I felt the grind made the items more rewarding for me. I also loved that the rep items, if not all of them, were still relevant.
    "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen."

The end, when every part of the story is available, when content is all accessible, when great gear makes everyone way more powerful than before.

Isle of Quel'Danas in TBC, the first added landmass and the first patch hub.

The starting and leveling zones in Wotlk.

Tol Barad quest hub in Cataclysm.

Everything, but most noticeably the Isle of Thunder in MoP.

The Blackrock Foundry in WoD.

The class oder halls+quests in Legion.

And the Kul Tiras in BfA.

(started playing at the end of Cata)

Isle of thunder and Timeless isle in MoP

Everything except the daily quests and the long stretches of nothing in WoD.

Mage tower and Class mounts, because of the replayability.

General aesthetic and questing of Kul Tiras.

Edit: Ask me this again at the end of the expansion and i am willing ot bet i will say Nazjatar, mostly because that zone is exactly my jam
    Last edited by Sondrelk; 2019-04-22 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by duselsteiner View Post
    The end, when every part of the story is available, when content is all accessible, when great gear makes everyone way more powerful than before.
    I take it you're not one for hype?

Tbc was flying
    Wotlk were zones
    Cata was vashir
    Mop was timeless isle
    Wod was lvling
    Legion was suramar and mage tower
    Bfa absolutely nothing

I also love the part of the expansion when everyone bashes on the new expansion and refuses to accept the faults of the previous one.
    Endless entertainment from reading the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by letssee View Post
    Tbc was flying
    Wotlk were zones
    Cata was vashir
    Mop was timeless isle
    Wod was lvling
    Legion was suramar and mage tower
    Bfa absolutely nothing
    The intro and entire zone of Vashir scared me when I first played through it. All that open ocean gave me the willies.

TBC: Patch 2.4 (isle of quel'danas/sunwell)
    Wrath: Patch 3.3 (ICC/ the 3 dungeons)
    Cata: Early tough heroics
    MoP: Nothing (least favorite expansion)
    WoD: The leveling
    Legion: Class Artifact Quests
    BFA: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    I also love the part of the expansion when everyone bashes on the new expansion and refuses to accept the faults of the previous one.
    Endless entertainment from reading the forums.
    Only if you're into that kinda thing, I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stripesrus View Post
    TBC: Patch 2.4 (isle of quel'danas/sunwell)
    Wrath: Patch 3.3 (ICC/ the 3 dungeons)
    Cata: Early tough heroics
    MoP: Nothing (least favorite expansion)
    WoD: The leveling
    Legion: Class Artifact Quests
    BFA: Nothing
    You didn't like MoP? Why?

TBC: The encounter with Illidan Stormrage.

WoTLK: Everything - My fave expansion but if I had to pin point one thing; Blood DK PvP play.

Cata: The Heroic Dungeons (Early hardy ones and the final patch ones) - I still regard End Times, Well and Hour of Twilight as some of the best Dungeons in the game.

MoP: The Klaxxi Questline and Story in Dread Waster - They still stand today as the Faction in game I love the most with their story, behavior and how it all comes to an end.

WoD: PHAT GOLDZ. There was really nothing else to enjoy here.

Legion: The entire Artifact system. I finally felt like one of the Adventurers who one day is suppose take over for the current "Heroes" in lore.
    The funniest jokes on MMO-Champ in order: (This signature is not calling out anyone in SPECIFIC and is thus not breaking any rules)
    1: All the moderators that does not know how to handle this webpage.
    2: Whoever set up the auto-bot that does not know the rules.
    3: The rules and guidelines themselves.
    Speaking of jokes:https://i.imgur.com/MaBzzAR.png

Quote Originally Posted by Exuberance View Post
    I take it you're not one for hype?
    Oh i am all hyped, yet i like the end more than the beginning of an expac. I always hit some brickwall at the start, where i have nothing left to do. At the end, i always have something i can do with alts. Flying is available. It is just more fun to play at the end for me.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    TBC - World. Not quality, but apocaliptic theme. We had only few zones like that since TBC (Icecrown, Molten Front, Tanaan, Argus). I would love art team to do whole expac this style again with current skills and experience.

WoTLK - expac theme (not story, I didn't like "I'll get you next time, Gadget!" Lich King in 3.0 dungeons, throwing Old God to the mix or very odd tournament), casual approach

Cata - world revamp, it was only expac that focused more on overall game than just max level experience

MoP - expanding the lore outside RTS story, starting to add more playstyles than just quests/dungeons/raids

WoD - raids (especially BRF) and changing raids/dungeon structure (raid difficulties, mythic dungeons), small withdraw from queueable content (LFR/LFD gear on par with world content since 6.2, manual group finder)

Legion - changing daily/dungeon/leveling structure (world quests, mythic+,world scalling), post max level progression system (artifacts), great patch structure (hopefully it will be carried forward in every expac)

BfA - changing PVP structure (account-wide PVP levels, epic/normal battlegrounds, War Mode), different experience for Horde and Alliance (it can be downside for people that hate playing both factions)

Story, side quests, cinematics. Basically lore (definitely not Lore).

I would love to get more questlines similar to the one that rewards you Volpin the Elusive although I hated the initial drop that starts the whole questline and didn't get it until the very end of the Legion.
    he/him/his • please go check out Nazdorei (Playable Naga Concept) and Kul Tiran Female Edit.

Quel'Danas wpvp
    Ulduar
    Tol'Barad wpvp
    Didn't play much in Pandaland
    Didn't play much in WoD
    Raddon's
    Nothing so far. Hopefully 8.2 changes that.

TBC >> Hellfire Peninsula, Flying
    WotLK >> Storm Peaks, Ulduar, ICC
    Cata >> Final Patch dungeons (I always enjoyed them very much), World revamp on SOME zones (others were sadly destroyed like Barrens)
    MoP >> Timeless Isle
    WoD >> Raids, Alliance garrison looks cozy and nice, still go there from time to time (but I wasn't a fan of its gameplay when it was current)
    Legion >> Suramar
    BFA >> Kul Tiras and Kul Tiran allied race

Honestly just before the next expansion's pre-patches, in every expansion. Where the community takes it upon themselves to create the fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Why yes, Blizz sure is a bunch of happy fellas!

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Exuberance View Post
    I read an article recently about how overworked game developers can be, so I felt bad and thought it could be potentially helpful to see what people think are their favorite aspects of each expansion (yes, that means WoD, too). I'll start:

I loved the reputation quests in TBC and WoTLK, and I felt the grind made the items more rewarding for me. I also loved that the rep items, if not all of them, were still relevant.

I played classic for like 5 hours and quit and returned mid TBC - Now nonstop sub, so this below is IMO:
    (My rank for expansions btw WLK>LEG>MOP>TBC>CATA>BFA>WOD)

TBC: Just how unique everything really was in the open world.. everything was so damn cool
    WLK: The raids were just bar none hands down BIS - I even liked Trial of the Crusader ffs
    CAT: If anyone says anything besides transmog they are lying to themselves
    MOP: That Legendary Cloak, but the best thing about it was the idle affects showing everyone that you had one of the 4 cloaks
    WOD: Challenge modes that were actually hard to time (unlike MOP, in MOP CM's were so damn easy to time)
    LEG: I'll be honest, it was hard choosing this (I really enjoyed the raids, the challenge tower..) but the introduction of Mythic+ was amazing
    BFA: Azerit...JK, I think the revamp to pvp has been stellar, it's sadly the only thing better than LEG, everything else is worse SADLY

In general my preference for expansion is WotLK/WoD/Legion/BfA/TBC/MoP/Cata

TBC - Flying Mount quests (e.g. Bombing runs, Netherwing races)
    WotLK - Wrathgate/Battle for Undercity
    Cata - Old world update (including flying)
    MoP - Challenge mode dungeons
    WoD - 3D Model updates
    Legion - Class/Profession-specific quests
    BfA - Transmog improvements
    Last edited by Aresk; 2019-04-22 at 09:33 AM.