Thread: Recount killed?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    And DBM? Yeah wow better use that addon that tells you to move out of a fire circle, can't raid without it.
    DBM is necessary for proper raiding. Even if you think that you don't need it, other people need that you use it, because it adds /say clouds above your head when important mechanics occur. And default UI is not well thought when it comes to bosses. Boss will use some abilities on cooldown (e.g. each 30 seconds), but there's nothing in default UI to display that, yet I should be prepared for that ability.

Encounter designers used to add extra bars for important abilities in Legion, so you could track them via Boss HP/Energy/Extra bars, but it seems that they decided to stop doing that. I don't like any addons and prefer to play as clean as possible, so I know what I'm talking about. I'm trying to ditch boss mods every new patch, I ditched weak auras, but boss mods: only in heroic where performance does not matter that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    I don't do M+ in pugs, but Raider.io is an inherently flawed way to score people. It bases things far more on quantity then it should, and less on the specific dungeon.

In all honesty, each dungeon should have a score, not an overall score, and then you look at the score for the dungeon you plan on doing.
    Many already use r.io just to check experience in a specific dungeon.
    However looking at the overall score tells a lot too: someone with decent r.io (experienced in every dungeon) can play right almost any clusterfuck situation just by having a lot of experience, but you can't know how well someone is going to play with only experience in couple dungeons with couple affixes.
    | Ryzen R7 5800X | Radeon RX 6800 |

Quote Originally Posted by vsb View Post
    DBM is necessary for proper raiding. Even if you think that you don't need it, other people need that you use it, because it adds /say clouds above your head when important mechanics occur. And default UI is not well thought when it comes to bosses. Boss will use some abilities on cooldown (e.g. each 30 seconds), but there's nothing in default UI to display that, yet I should be prepared for that ability.

Encounter designers used to add extra bars for important abilities in Legion, so you could track them via Boss HP/Energy/Extra bars, but it seems that they decided to stop doing that. I don't like any addons and prefer to play as clean as possible, so I know what I'm talking about. I'm trying to ditch boss mods every new patch, I ditched weak auras, but boss mods: only in heroic where performance does not matter that much.
    if they were smart they would implement in default UI the SAY messages in encounters

would help:
    1. many players in 5man/raids that dont even have dbm/bigwigs/weakauras installed, really noticeable in m+
    2. many players (especially DPS) would probably ditch said dbm/bigwigs/weakauras for not being necessary and having alot more cpu/fps performance in raids

Quote Originally Posted by Thereaperszone View Post
    Yes it is they just use weak auras
    From an experienced person in Blizzard default UI, i can say that if you know how to use your skills you're still good to go, but it's not just about aesthetic that makes you immediately better player but it helps, you don't need to force your eyes to look on the top left of your screen if you have addons that help you see everything closer to the center. And that helps you be a better player because you keep track of things easier. When you use a razor mouse with a lot buttons on the side you can make your life easier too, but it gets time to adapt as well as having elvui, if you passed the whole years playing on blizzard UI and take time to adapt then you'll have less good performance trying to look for stuff that you're used to see on the top left screen of your eyes and not in the center, so you might even fail to see stuff more frequently. Depends on the person and how susceptible it is through change, a help here and there to know what's going on its fine but lets be realistic too, most of the times you just have so much to look in the center of the screen if you don't spread it, getting the space filled the best way possible to have a certain synergy between you and your playstyle. If anything, let me say that elvui has a complete info but at same time, might be too much info in front of your eyes, when you can see that on a nameplate, on your buffs, weakauras, on a CDS addon, you can move your bars using bartender/dominos too if the problem is the space. Like, if it was so unplayable with Blizzard UI, i think they would have already change that.

Details and weakaura so much more addons are far superior than recount..... Recount are for those newbies that doesn't understand what are those numbers racking up in recount popping up for them and assume they are competing to get high scores?

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Toothpaste is out of the tube, there's no squeezing it back in now.

Breaking WA/DBM/etc. and reducing encounter complexity would feel like a 50mph speed limit after we've all gotten Ferraris - yeah it would reduce traffic accidents, but we'd all feel disappointed and degraded by the whole thing.
    Same with flying, but that didn't stop bliz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Except flying is a switch, on or off. Trying to entirely kill something like DBM or WA would destroy large portions of the API and have a lot of collateral addon damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Malix Farwin View Post
    You dont use it yet calling it cancer. tbh you are not qualified to comment on it based off the knowledge you have given me.
    A malignant scourge on the community? Sounds like a cancer to me.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Except that flying is one mode of transportation among many, but fighting bosses is at the absolute core of WoW's entire PvE. Not even remotely the same thing.

DBM is necessary for proper raiding. Even if you think that you don't need it, other people need that you use it, because it adds /say clouds above your head when important mechanics occur.
    Fake statement is fake. You do not fucking need DBM, don't be such a shill. I have NEVER RAIDED WITH IT IN MY LIFE and I've done top level raiding before, and usually do heroic/light Mythic, the counters above the head are kind of nice but completely unnecessary, and saying otherwise is either being stupid or downright lying. I am living proof of it, unless you want to posit some fake argument that "I was only carried" through every piece of raid content I've done since Vanilla.

Fake statement is fake. You do not fucking need DBM, don't be such a shill. I have NEVER RAIDED WITH IT IN MY LIFE and I've done top level raiding before, and usually do heroic/light Mythic, the counters above the head are kind of nice but completely unnecessary, and saying otherwise is either being stupid or downright lying. I am living proof of it, unless you want to posit some fake argument that "I was only carried" through every piece of raid content I've done since Vanilla.
    Elitist statement is elitist.
    [CENTER]
    ~ Just an aussie trawling the wastes of Dath'Remar since '07 ~

Quote Originally Posted by dev'olution View Post
    Elitist statement is elitist.
    Do you always use words without knowing what they mean, or is this an exception? Nothing I said was elitist, lol. If anything, it was expressly anti-elitist. I didn't say "only good players don't use DBM" or "you don't need DBM if you're a skilled player". I just said "You do not need to use DBM to raid". Can you explain how that's elitist?

Spoiler: You can't.

Good try, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heroic/light mythic is not content worth of discussion, sorry. That means nothing. Also you could be carried, yeah. I've heard about blind people raiding with friends who were helping them. Does not make that a norm.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use Recount, mostly because I play on Linux and every resource counts...
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I think many people will agree that genocide can be justified.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyscale View Post
    Recount has received 3 updates during 2019. Details has received 18 updates during that time.
    Recount has been in "maintenance mode" for ages, it's not actively developed anymore.
    But why would recount need many updates? It's not adding features or really in need of many bug fixes or updates to the code except when the messages from the servers change. The basic code for reading combat messages has been the same for years. It'd be weird if recount was updating all the time.

Everyone's using details damage meter. Recount, Scada and Details use different algorithms to compute DPS. I don't really know which ones, honestly, but AFAIK Details numbers are almost the same as in warcraftlogs, so people naturally prefer Details. Also I think that details is less resource-intensive, but that's just my thoughts.

Other than that, recount should work just like it worked for years. If you prefer it, don't bother.
    Details also offers a realtime DPS meter once properly configured. It's text based, but extremely accurate as it's in a rolling ten second window.

Quote Originally Posted by sumbum View Post
    Gotcha. It just made it sound like the meters in general didn't show accurate information anymore
    Recount can be gamed or off because of how it tracks being in and out of combat, as a result it's numbers have never really matched combat log numbers and information you would have seen at worldoflogs or warcraftlogs. It is still just as good or bad as it has always been. Skada and details are just more accurate. Details big leg up is all the things it tracks, but if you are logging encounters it is a bunch of redundant information you wont be using in the moment and is a much more resource heavy add on compared to Skada. Now if you aren't logging things details makes a lot more sense. No matter how you look at it though recount is the worst option out of the popular add ons.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Greyscale View Post
    That was kinda my point. It only receives TOC updates and that's about it. So it's pretty dead project, feature-wise.
    I guess I see that as a positive thing. I don't have to worry about updating it all the time or if something is buggy or going to change the next time I update. But I've always preferred smaller mods that do particular things than bigger ones that try to have lots of features.

Recount has been trash for quite a few expansions. Use details.
    VOTING IS MOB RULE AND MOB RULE IS MEDIA RULE AND
    MEDIA RULE IS CORPORATE RULE

Quote Originally Posted by Shaetha View Post
    A malignant scourge on the community? Sounds like a cancer to me.
    I mean its been around longer than you have, its managed by a person with no monetary gain in order to simply help people. Its not a scourge of the community, its people like you who are. If you don't like it dont use it.