10+ Year Old Account

(Suggestion) Option to hide threads made by posters with less than X posts

So, as a temporary (or semi-permanent) way of dealing with bots and alt-accounts spamming the forum, could we get an option that works like the ignore list, but where it ignores threads made by posters with less than... Ehhh... Let's say 10-15 posts.

On a similar not, is there a way for threads made by ignored users to stop showing up on the front page's 'recent' tab?

Thx

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    So, as a temporary (or semi-permanent) way of dealing with bots and alt-accounts spamming the forum, could we get an option that works like the ignore list, but where it ignores threads made by posters with less than... Ehhh... Let's say 10-15 posts.

On a similar not, is there a way for threads made by ignored users to stop showing up on the front page's 'recent' tab?

Thx
    Wouldn't really create that good an environment for forum activity if people will just ignore/hide threads from new relevant users. As well, these spam posters lately rack up 10-40 posts before the moderation team catches them.

Though, I would love to have a ruleset tightened on spamming so that when you catch and ban a spam account, all content made by them are automatically deleted - unsure if doable but would be lovely. We see good situations where the spammer has been caught but they still have rotten seeds scattered around the fields.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Wouldn't really create that good an environment for forum activity if people will just ignore/hide threads from new relevant users. As well, these spam posters lately rack up 10-40 posts before the moderation team catches them.
    When's the last time you've seen a new relevant thread from a new relevant user?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    When's the last time you've seen a new relevant thread from a new relevant user?
    What is that, about 5 days ago that I read a thread by an 13 post account.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    That's why it'd be an option, and not required. I mean, I could also just fill up my ignore list with low post accounts. Just a lot more effort.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think this will work, only partially tested:

Code:
    mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored
    mmo-champion.com#?#li.postcontainer:-abp-has(> div.postdetails > div.userinfo > dl.userinfo_extra > dd:-abp-contains(/^([0-9]|1[0-9]|20)$/))

The first one already mentioned before hides ignored users totally, the second one hides users with a post count of 20 or less.

Add it to the filters list in Adblock or uBlock. The bit between the slashes at the end is a Regex expression and means - a digit, or a 1 followed by a digit, or 20. It can be changed accordingly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Once or twice a week in WoWGen. Admittedly, they are overwhelmed by the others but they exist. And we should not hide threads created by new users who might be looking for help with something.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Thx
    Honestly I just think where most of the problem of this issue is in the general off-topic and Politics sections and I am starting to come to the conclusion that board needs to be nuked from orbit and that is saying something from a person who only comes to this site anymore just to catch up on what is going on there occasionally. The thing is those two boards still act like a message board from something I would expect from 2009 and not 2019. Due to recent issues which most people are aware of so I wont discuss them here I just think its better just to kill the boards off than trying to modernize it.

Thx
    It's not needed, it's not that big of deal, the boards are not getting flooded.

That's why it'd be an option, and not required. I mean, I could also just fill up my ignore list with low post accounts. Just a lot more effort.
    Yeah, I'm the guy who made the thread on this same topic awhile back. Being able to do it on an individual level would be nice. There'd still be enough people who don't bother to flip on the option to report bad posts and respond. But it's likely not easy to implement on a forum-wide level.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    I think this will work, only partially tested:

Code:
    mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored
    mmo-champion.com#?#li.postcontainer:-abp-has(> div.postdetails > div.userinfo > dl.userinfo_extra > dd:-abp-contains(/^([0-9]|1[0-9]|20)$/))

The first one already mentioned before hides ignored users totally, the second one hides users with a post count of 20 or less.

Add it to the filters list in Adblock or uBlock. The bit between the slashes at the end is a Regex expression and means - a digit, or a 1 followed by a digit, or 20. It can be changed accordingly.
    This is AWESOME! Thank you for taking the time to write this custom code for ublock. While it isn't able to hide the thread completely, it does remove posts by low post users (though it's not just original threads but replies too). But hey, this is a great start and will tide me over in case we never get anything else on this front. At least when I click on a thread and see the opening post missing I can just move onto the next thread.

Thank you! If you guys aren't using ublock origin already, you should check it out as it's one of the best adblockers out there, and for cosmetic filtering. Maybe we can just put that in our signatures to spread the word, but I'll wait a bit to see if any improvements are made to the code or other functionality/alternatives. Currently works just fine for me in the sense that it's intended to work.
    Last edited by MrExcelion; 2019-04-30 at 07:02 AM.

The spam really isn't an issue at all. It's not like MMOC is being spammed all day long, but it'll just happen at some specific time and the mods can deal with it very easily.

It's really not that big of a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by akris15 View Post
    Honestly I just think where most of the problem of this issue is in the general off-topic and Politics sections and I am starting to come to the conclusion that board needs to be nuked from orbit
    Though the general OT board removal is a separate ongoing discussion, I just want to say fresh account troll threads are a significant problem on the wow general/wow classic boards, in addition to the two you mentioned.

Anyway, I'll keep tabs on this thread to see if any updates are made to the ublock code, since this sledgehammer approach is absolutely miles better than nothing. I'll probably lower it to like 5-10 posts instead of 20 and see how that works out for now.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by MrExcelion; 2019-04-30 at 07:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrExcelion View Post
    This is AWESOME! Thank you for taking the time to write this custom code for ublock. While it isn't able to hide the thread completely, it does remove posts by low post users (though it's not just original threads but replies too). But hey, this is a great start and will tide me over in case we never get anything else on this front. At least when I click on a thread and see the opening post missing I can just move onto the next thread.
    Don't think it's possible to filter out a thread in the thread list by OP's post count with uBlock because information about their post count doesn't appear in the HTML on that page.
    Last edited by Twoddle; 2019-04-30 at 03:24 PM.

Why are the accounts even allowed to create more than 1 posts rapidly?