Page 1 of 3
LastLast

how much does being in a feral state affect an average human's strength?

I'm not really a strong person at all, but I reminisce a lot on the worst experiences of my life. One I'll never forget involved being strangled by a man in his late 30s with an average build, and I got so furious and scared I practically entered a feral stage and managed to somehow flip him over from where he was choking me on top. I couldn't even think in this state but remembered I suddenly felt energized and mobile compared to how powerless I was a moment ago.

I just can't seem to live this memory down, and all I think about is how much physically stronger even the average person is when it's a life or death situation. Why and where does the sudden fuel come from?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    Why and where does the sudden fuel come from?
    Ever heard of adrenaline?
    Last edited by Yadryonych; 2019-04-28 at 01:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    Ever heard of adrenaline?
    No no, from this day and forward it will no longer be known as adrenaline, but feral state xD
    Ah feral state. I'm fucking dying.

Shame. I was picturing people born and living alone in the wild with no known words to speak. Feral.

Cannot say that I have ever experienced a moment of temporarily being or feeling stronger.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hysterical_strength

This kind of thing can absolutely happen when you're so high on adrenaline that you just use all of your strength, even past the point where the strain can damage the body. You can break your bones, tear your muscles but won't feel it, at least until the adrenaline wears off. Makes sense. When that Tiger was coming for your ancestors it was better to survive first and worry about everything else later.

Humans have way more theoretical strength than you'd think. People who were electrocuted have suffered broken bones just from the muscles twitching at maximum, uncontrolled power.
    Last edited by Krawu; 2019-04-28 at 01:31 PM.

Me am Super Mutant! Me am unstoppable!

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    A doctor would be better qualified to explain and assist you. This is my understanding for what it's worth: Fine-motor-control is sacrificed for strength but only available in dire situations because your parasympathetic nervous-system is essentially sidelined for your sympathetic one. The lizard-brain or inner-monkey takes over to help you out when the mind comes up short on ideas while feeling threatened on your life with time and pain of the essence. The two systems are supposed to be balanced and assist each other for you to function, prolonged exposure to just one side will scar anyone. In that state you wouldn't miss an arm before noticing that it's gone. It is natural to feel confused after an episode like yours and there's no shame in it or sharing the experience with a professional. They can help answer questions and better guide you to what you want/search for to be able to move past it.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawu View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hysterical_strength

This kind of thing can absolutely happen when you're so high on adrenaline that you just use all of your strength, even past the point where the strain can damage the body. You can break your bones, tear your muscles but won't feel it, at least until the adrenaline wears off. Makes sense. When that Tiger was coming for your ancestors it was better to survive first and worry about everything else later.

Humans have way more theoretical strength than you'd think. People who were electrocuted have suffered broken bones just from the muscles twitching at maximum, uncontrolled power.
    Assuming that his ancestors come from Asia as they've never found remains further west than Turkey.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bae View Post
    Assuming that his ancestors come from Asia as they've never found remains further west than Turkey.

If you want to discuss OP you could at-least address him instead of disparaging others looking to help answer his question.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Found footage of OP entering Feral State.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bae View Post

Feel free to substitute tiger with crocodile, lion, wolf, dude with trench club or whatever else you see fit. But you do get my meaning

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    I'm not really a strong person at all, but I reminisce a lot on the worst experiences of my life. One I'll never forget involved being strangled by a man in his late 30s with an average build, and I got so furious and scared I practically entered a feral stage and managed to somehow flip him over from where he was choking me on top. I couldn't even think in this state but remembered I suddenly felt energized and mobile compared to how powerless I was a moment ago.

I just can't seem to live this memory down, and all I think about is how much physically stronger even the average person is when it's a life or death situation. Why and where does the sudden fuel come from?
    There is no such thing as a "feral state" or rather thats not what you're describing here.
    In any case, it doesn't affect your actual strength one bit. But as others have pointed out, in a dire situation you might push yourself beyond the point where you would otherwise stop as you might risk injuring yourself. But again, you don't get any stronger. There is no magic there.

Funny that people feel the need to mock OP for not knowing what it was called and coming up with a perfectly good description of what they were talking about. Like you people were born with a dictionary in your head and know every word and it's meaning...

But yeah, on topic, adrenaline is a crazy thing. It can be both a blessing and a curse depending on the situation. It's the same thing that makes you feel restless when you're nervous and gives that fizzy feeling in your stomach.

You might have heard of fight or flight instinct, that's based on adrenaline. Your body floods with adrenaline to get you ready to either run away or fight whatever threat you are facing. Obviously, like in your case, when you can't run you have to instead fight so you saw it as a boost in strength and lack of physical awareness. The boost in strength isn't actually you getting stronger, it's just you don't tend to feel the usual warning signs of not pushing it any further so you can push past your usual limits at the expense of potentially injuring yourself. If you had run you'd probably find you could run further and faster than you could normally.

The downside to adrenaline (other than potentially injuring yourself as others have pointed out) is that is absolutely tanks your bodies energy reserves. It's usually a last resort of the body because once it wears off, you'll be super tired.

Under normal circumstances humans only use a faction of a muscle fibres maximum capacity as an evolutionary mechanism to prevent excessive damage to the muscles tissue & tendons.

Now while the use of the fibres at maximum capacity will cause damage to the tissue there will be fight or flight moments where survival outweighs temporary damage to the body which is regulated through adrenaline release into the body, hence amazing feats of strength occurring in survival situations.

One exception to this is electrocution, the ability to contract a muscle is controlled by the nervous system which is based on electrical impulses. When someone comes into contact with a live electrical source such as a fence or cable the synapse carries that charge to the muscle tissue which results in the phenomenon of the shocked person flying back due to the strength of the signal allowing the muscle fibres to act at full capacity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Forget Feral, go Boomkin!
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crillam View Post
    No no, from this day and forward it will no longer be known as adrenaline, but feral state xD
    well the draenei should know all about that being as they are feral beasts.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Most people are strong enough to rip their muscles from their bones and break their own body, however since that's awfully inconvenient your brain stops you from doing it by limiting how hard you can exert yourself. With enough adrenaline and fear you can push way past those limits and produce a surprising amount of force.

That's also why people on drugs or with mental illness can take so many people to bring down, they can tap into that response in situations that don't call for it.

this is biology 101 tier.
    because your muscles are strong enough to rip your tendons apart and even crush your bones into themselves your body normally has them under limiters, when your fight or flight response floods your bloodstream with adrenaline these limiters are thrown out the window.
    thus the almost superhuman feats people are capable of in dire straights, but it is still a multiplier factor if you have nothing you'll get nothing but if you're a body builder you'll do more but also probably suffer more internal damage as a result of the greater forces at play.

Quote Originally Posted by Crillam View Post
    Berserk !

Quote Originally Posted by Tiwack View Post
    If you want to discuss OP you could at-least address him instead of disparaging others looking to help answer his question.
    Disparaging....Jesus you really are a snowflake if you think that was disparaging. Grow up.