Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
4
5
6
7
8
... LastLast
  1. #101
    Left wing family. Mother mostly apolitical but father was always a leftie. Grandparents on the other hand are the exact opposite.
    Una melodía tocada por las cuerdas de nuestras almas,
    y el ritmo que nos sacudió hasta el hueso

  2. #102
    Used to be centrist but then the right went crazy and pushed us to the left.

  3. #103
    The Undying Themius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    32,070
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post
    Used to be centrist but then the right went crazy and pushed us to the left.
    If you're American no one really moved... except the right.

  4. #104
    Not really a big topic in our family, but pretty moderate with some left leaning. Then again, compared to the US we're all commies.

  5. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    If you're American no one really moved... except the right.
    Nah, Australian.

    I suppose we didn't move so much as the right went further right so we no longer feel like voting for either depending on the last few years. It's just all left all the time because the right has decided not to use science in legislation.

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Both sides aren't equal so I see no value in the Fox News republican. And cnn isn't liberal... it is centrist.
    Come on......

    I distrust both parties and don't trust any major news outlet enough to watch them but part of the wikileaks was an email from John Podesta where he told another person in Hillary's campaign that they had a large number of journalists on their side who they could literally email talking points to and that journalist would then write an article or do an on air segment based on those points. He then listed around 30 journalists and about 20 of them were from cnn. They are not centrist.
    Last edited by Berndorf; 2019-04-29 at 12:40 AM.

  7. #107
    I am Murloc! Usagi Senshi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Rabbit Hole
    Posts
    5,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Dellis0991 View Post
    Politics wasn't a thing in my house, to be honest my family didn't give fuck about it because they was to focused on living and surviving.
    Pretty much the same in my house but they still voted republican which always puzzled me. I got shat on for voting democrat when I was able to start voting in 1998. I love them but fuck them, its my choice get the fuck over it.

    Also, they kind of rubbed off on me because I can't stand the annoying SJW (there is nothing wrong with actual social justice btw, its what should be striven for always) types online even though I'm liberal.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pit peri pembo!

  8. #108
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    926
    Pretty sure no one in my family votes

  9. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Both sides aren't equal so I see no value in the Fox News republican. And cnn isn't liberal... it is centrist.
    Wrong. Fox is in the middle, CNN is extreme left.

    My mom doesn't really think about politics a lot. My dad is to the right - Wants low taxes, thinks take care of yourself or rot, pro smashing criminals, but doesn't care if gays marry or a woman has an abortion. I'm with him on most issues but I am much further to the right than he is. Sister is EXTREME left, like some of the crazies on this forum.
    Last edited by Cruor; 2019-04-29 at 12:44 AM.

  10. #110
    I am Murloc!
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,260
    My mom was raised in Texas but her extreme ignorance was fixed when she moved to Chicago for college and read a real newspaper. My dad was never ignorant, so I was raised left wing.

  11. #111
    Old God I Push Buttons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    10,457
    My family was entirely apolitical until 9/11, literally never heard anyone discuss politics for most of my youth... Though I would assume they were more or less evenly split, with my dad's side of the family (poorer, no college grads, white, came from Kentucky, etc.) being predominantly Republican and my mom's side of the family (hardcore Catholics, lot's of adopted multi-ethnic kids, college educated, wealthier [not rich though, by any means]) being predominantly Democrat.

    After 9/11 I'd say my upbringing was more right wing... Both of my parents were very much in favor or invading Afghanistan and strongly/vocally supported Bush at the time (my dad in particular, being a firefighter, 9/11 hit him particularly close to home), they seemed indifferent to Iraq by the time 2003 rolled around, however.

    Wouldn't really say they tried to influence me either way though... Just that in the wake of 9/11 they wore their politics on their sleeve and it tended to be right-wing. The first time I voted was in 2012 for Obama. After high school I became obsessed with politics and would often discuss it with my family, and they were happy to oblige. My mother and sisters mostly agree with me, my dad not so much. Though all of us are fed up with fringe leftists of late. In 2016 everyone but my dad voted for Clinton, but I am pretty sure my dad didn't vote at all and he usually criticizes Trump anytime he's brought up.

  12. #112
    Grew up in fairly apolitical, strongly secular environment. Parents were voters, but not affiliated with either party and voted R in some elections and D in some others. They grew more conservative as they got older. One sibling spent a lot of time in academia and is quite liberal, but not a bleeding heart or moonbat by any stretch of the imagination. Other sibling is a sort of "detached military conservative", but not a Trump voter, and does not waste a lot of energy on politics. I kind of fell in between the two and mostly ended up playing devil's advocate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Are these resisters actually contributing to our country and paying their taxes? Or are they freeloading?

  13. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I would say you're wrong and here's why:

    America spends the most per capita on health care because our healthcare is private and super super expensive our half assed coverage of a few costs us more than any other country pays to cover their entire country.

    For instance, why can a scan cost $300 in Europe and cost $9000 in America? Why can insulin cost $12 in Canada and $275 in America when both products are provided by the same company.

    Why is a cancer drug that sells for $2500 a kilo selling for over $310mn per kilo in America.

    The issue is that costs are out of control because we don't have a public system that allows us to bargain for reasonable prices.

    - - - Updated - - -



    There are plenty of democrat christians in other areas... the main people who are staunch christians and conservative are in the south and west, coastal christians generally are democrats. Many democrats are christians and god is often very much apart of them when they're running for office.

    You're saying the democrats are making christians the butt of the joke but typically the only christians getting their butt hurts are arguably the radical christians which I will include evangelicals in that group of radical christians.

    What is extreme about the Democratic Party truly tell me what is this extreme because the extreme portions in America are run of the mill in literally every other western nation. Truly the only extreme is America.

    What do you mean by "no matter how poor we were which is now scorned by the same party" which party is this I can't figure what you mean because you were just noting democrats. Are you thinking democrats are the ones who don't care about the poor and would scorn such?

    Your parents sound like hypocrites honestly with the idea of "boo government assistance" but "yay church assistance and neighbours"

    Not everyone has churches and neighbourhoods to look after them, in the end welfare that helps gets people out of poverty and into higher stations is good for the economy at large.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Was she poor?
    Yes, we were poor. My mother didnt make an effort to find work or got to college. she relied on welfare to pay for everything.

  14. #114
    In my youth my Mom was anti-gun, pro-union, pro-Choice -- then she met my step father and went full on Fox News parrot.

    It's incredibly difficult to deal with her at times.
    "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life."
    - Jean-Luc Picard
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”
    ― Malcolm X, By Any Means Necessary

  15. #115
    Nobody in my family has any real political opinions or votes. My sister voted once I think, or she said she planned to but probably didn't.

    Then again I don't vote either, but I was never raised with much in the way of political opinions as a child. I was never told who was a good president, or even talk of who was an ideal prime minister candidate. None of it seems to matter to any of us.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    There are plenty of democrat christians in other areas... the main people who are staunch christians and conservative are in the south and west, coastal christians generally are democrats. Many democrats are christians and god is often very much apart of them when they're running for office.

    You're saying the democrats are making christians the butt of the joke but typically the only christians getting their butt hurts are arguably the radical christians which I will include evangelicals in that group of radical christians.

    What is extreme about the Democratic Party truly tell me what is this extreme because the extreme portions in America are run of the mill in literally every other western nation. Truly the only extreme is America.

    What do you mean by "no matter how poor we were which is now scorned by the same party" which party is this I can't figure what you mean because you were just noting democrats. Are you thinking democrats are the ones who don't care about the poor and would scorn such?

    Your parents sound like hypocrites honestly with the idea of "boo government assistance" but "yay church assistance and neighbours"

    Not everyone has churches and neighbourhoods to look after them, in the end welfare that helps gets people out of poverty and into higher stations is good for the economy at large.
    Progressive Democratic ideals are just an extension of quaker and other protestant ideas simply without the God part.

    They may not be traditional or Orthodox, or even biblical but really even the most staunch atheist progressive is really echoing Quakerism and some other ideas in the present.

  16. #116
    Quote Originally Posted by Berndorf View Post
    Come on......

    I distrust both parties and don't trust any major news outlet enough to watch them but part of the wikileaks was an email from John Podesta where he told another person in Hillary's campaign that they had a large number of journalists on their side who they could literally email talking points to and that journalist would then write an article or do an on air segment based on those points. He then listed around 30 journalists and about 20 of them were from cnn. They are not centrist.
    I'm not doubting the veracity of that, but it still wouldn't actually make CNN "far left," or even "left." Because Hillary isn't very far left. She would've been like Obama: Progressive in the streets, centrist in the sheets. Oh, and CNN is a corporate network- woke capitalism in network form. Sure they'll be liberal on several social issues, but they're owned and run by ultra-rich people people and wealthy shareholders, and they and the companies they depend on ad revenue from are by and large opposed to the actual left.
    "As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
    -H.L. Mencken, 1920

  17. #117
    The Undying Themius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    32,070
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    Wrong. Fox is in the middle, CNN is extreme left.

    My mom doesn't really think about politics a lot. My dad is to the right - Wants low taxes, thinks take care of yourself or rot, pro smashing criminals, but doesn't care if gays marry or a woman has an abortion. I'm with him on most issues but I am much further to the right than he is. Sister is EXTREME left, like some of the crazies on this forum.
    Is this like literally a joke? Fox need centrist?

  18. #118
    Mother is pretty leftist besides a couple of traits, father is quite conservative in nature.. But has strong leftist ideals.

    I like to think I believe in self-development and self-responsibility.. But I am also very compassionate and left learning. I guess I am more centrist than anything.

  19. #119
    Both are fairly centrist. My Mother is pretty much a libertarian. She's always had the attitude of "You do you and I'll do me", has never treated anyone different for their race/sexual preference since she doesn't care what People are moreso who they are since Personality is the major contributor to how to act towards someone, has worked nearly her entire life and believes you get what you work for.

  20. #120
    Scarab Lord Asmodias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    4,697
    I dont really know. I've not done any research on what each side is, nor the attributes they have. I do remember that politics wasn't really spoken about growing up... or if it was, I never caught on.


    Retired | Avatar and Signature by Shyama

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •