Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    My mom was raised in Texas but her extreme ignorance was fixed when she moved to Chicago for college and read a real newspaper. My dad was never ignorant, so I was raised left wing.

10+ Year Old Account
    My family was entirely apolitical until 9/11, literally never heard anyone discuss politics for most of my youth... Though I would assume they were more or less evenly split, with my dad's side of the family (poorer, no college grads, white, came from Kentucky, etc.) being predominantly Republican and my mom's side of the family (hardcore Catholics, lot's of adopted multi-ethnic kids, college educated, wealthier [not rich though, by any means]) being predominantly Democrat.

After 9/11 I'd say my upbringing was more right wing... Both of my parents were very much in favor or invading Afghanistan and strongly/vocally supported Bush at the time (my dad in particular, being a firefighter, 9/11 hit him particularly close to home), they seemed indifferent to Iraq by the time 2003 rolled around, however.

Wouldn't really say they tried to influence me either way though... Just that in the wake of 9/11 they wore their politics on their sleeve and it tended to be right-wing. The first time I voted was in 2012 for Obama. After high school I became obsessed with politics and would often discuss it with my family, and they were happy to oblige. My mother and sisters mostly agree with me, my dad not so much. Though all of us are fed up with fringe leftists of late. In 2016 everyone but my dad voted for Clinton, but I am pretty sure my dad didn't vote at all and he usually criticizes Trump anytime he's brought up.

Herald of the Titans PickleballAce's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Grew up in fairly apolitical, strongly secular environment. Parents were voters, but not affiliated with either party and voted R in some elections and D in some others. They grew more conservative as they got older. One sibling spent a lot of time in academia and is quite liberal, but not a bleeding heart or moonbat by any stretch of the imagination. Other sibling is a sort of "detached military conservative", but not a Trump voter, and does not waste a lot of energy on politics. I kind of fell in between the two and mostly ended up playing devil's advocate.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I would say you're wrong and here's why:

America spends the most per capita on health care because our healthcare is private and super super expensive our half assed coverage of a few costs us more than any other country pays to cover their entire country.

For instance, why can a scan cost $300 in Europe and cost $9000 in America? Why can insulin cost $12 in Canada and $275 in America when both products are provided by the same company.

Why is a cancer drug that sells for $2500 a kilo selling for over $310mn per kilo in America.

The issue is that costs are out of control because we don't have a public system that allows us to bargain for reasonable prices.

- - - Updated - - -

There are plenty of democrat christians in other areas... the main people who are staunch christians and conservative are in the south and west, coastal christians generally are democrats. Many democrats are christians and god is often very much apart of them when they're running for office.

You're saying the democrats are making christians the butt of the joke but typically the only christians getting their butt hurts are arguably the radical christians which I will include evangelicals in that group of radical christians.

What is extreme about the Democratic Party truly tell me what is this extreme because the extreme portions in America are run of the mill in literally every other western nation. Truly the only extreme is America.

What do you mean by "no matter how poor we were which is now scorned by the same party" which party is this I can't figure what you mean because you were just noting democrats. Are you thinking democrats are the ones who don't care about the poor and would scorn such?

Your parents sound like hypocrites honestly with the idea of "boo government assistance" but "yay church assistance and neighbours"

Not everyone has churches and neighbourhoods to look after them, in the end welfare that helps gets people out of poverty and into higher stations is good for the economy at large.

- - - Updated - - -

Was she poor?
    Yes, we were poor. My mother didnt make an effort to find work or got to college. she relied on welfare to pay for everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    In my youth my Mom was anti-gun, pro-union, pro-Choice -- then she met my step father and went full on Fox News parrot.

It's incredibly difficult to deal with her at times.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Nobody in my family has any real political opinions or votes. My sister voted once I think, or she said she planned to but probably didn't.

Then again I don't vote either, but I was never raised with much in the way of political opinions as a child. I was never told who was a good president, or even talk of who was an ideal prime minister candidate. None of it seems to matter to any of us.

- - - Updated - - -

There are plenty of democrat christians in other areas... the main people who are staunch christians and conservative are in the south and west, coastal christians generally are democrats. Many democrats are christians and god is often very much apart of them when they're running for office.

You're saying the democrats are making christians the butt of the joke but typically the only christians getting their butt hurts are arguably the radical christians which I will include evangelicals in that group of radical christians.

What is extreme about the Democratic Party truly tell me what is this extreme because the extreme portions in America are run of the mill in literally every other western nation. Truly the only extreme is America.

What do you mean by "no matter how poor we were which is now scorned by the same party" which party is this I can't figure what you mean because you were just noting democrats. Are you thinking democrats are the ones who don't care about the poor and would scorn such?

Your parents sound like hypocrites honestly with the idea of "boo government assistance" but "yay church assistance and neighbours"

Not everyone has churches and neighbourhoods to look after them, in the end welfare that helps gets people out of poverty and into higher stations is good for the economy at large.
    Progressive Democratic ideals are just an extension of quaker and other protestant ideas simply without the God part.

They may not be traditional or Orthodox, or even biblical but really even the most staunch atheist progressive is really echoing Quakerism and some other ideas in the present.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Berndorf View Post
    Come on......

I distrust both parties and don't trust any major news outlet enough to watch them but part of the wikileaks was an email from John Podesta where he told another person in Hillary's campaign that they had a large number of journalists on their side who they could literally email talking points to and that journalist would then write an article or do an on air segment based on those points. He then listed around 30 journalists and about 20 of them were from cnn. They are not centrist.
    I'm not doubting the veracity of that, but it still wouldn't actually make CNN "far left," or even "left." Because Hillary isn't very far left. She would've been like Obama: Progressive in the streets, centrist in the sheets. Oh, and CNN is a corporate network- woke capitalism in network form. Sure they'll be liberal on several social issues, but they're owned and run by ultra-rich people people and wealthy shareholders, and they and the companies they depend on ad revenue from are by and large opposed to the actual left.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    Wrong. Fox is in the middle, CNN is extreme left.

My mom doesn't really think about politics a lot. My dad is to the right - Wants low taxes, thinks take care of yourself or rot, pro smashing criminals, but doesn't care if gays marry or a woman has an abortion. I'm with him on most issues but I am much further to the right than he is. Sister is EXTREME left, like some of the crazies on this forum.
    Is this like literally a joke? Fox need centrist?

Mother is pretty leftist besides a couple of traits, father is quite conservative in nature.. But has strong leftist ideals.

I like to think I believe in self-development and self-responsibility.. But I am also very compassionate and left learning. I guess I am more centrist than anything.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Both are fairly centrist. My Mother is pretty much a libertarian. She's always had the attitude of "You do you and I'll do me", has never treated anyone different for their race/sexual preference since she doesn't care what People are moreso who they are since Personality is the major contributor to how to act towards someone, has worked nearly her entire life and believes you get what you work for.

We didn't talk about it much, but both my parents voted for fairly centrist parties. Just slightly to either side of the middle. Of their 3 children, one votes left, one votes right, and one shifts about the center a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by vkpush View Post
    Yes yes keep delude yourself into believing you're actually doing anything worthwhile with your military spending. I couldn't care less, and not all of Europe is a member of NATO.
    That's true. Ukraine isn't. They got invaded and everyone watched and did nothing, too.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

My mom doesn't really think about politics a lot. My dad is to the right - Wants low taxes, thinks take care of yourself or rot, pro smashing criminals, but doesn't care if gays marry or a woman has an abortion. I'm with him on most issues but I am much further to the right than he is. Sister is EXTREME left, like some of the crazies on this forum.
    HEYYYYY, another fucking thing you are wrong about. Fox isn't middle, they are far right, CNN isn't extreme left, they haven't moved. And it sounds like your sister is the sane one in the family.

Depending on your point of view:

Nazis are radical fight, FOX News is centrist and the beacon of freedom, CNN and Europe is radical left and bordering on soviet because they are on the side of eliminating voting rights and wiping out capitalism.

OR

Nazis are radical right, Fox is radical right and they want to install a male white christian dictatorship, CNN is centrist, and Europe is center left and the beacon of freedom.

Fun huh?
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Is this like literally a joke? Fox need centrist?
    No more of a joke than you saying CNN is not left wing. Fox news refers to men like Bruce Jenner as "she" that's pretty left wing. Luckily they balance it out by poiting out CNN's left wing bias, so yes, I say middle of the road for Fox.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    HEYYYYY, another fucking thing you are wrong about. Fox isn't middle, they are far right, CNN isn't extreme left, they haven't moved. And it sounds like your sister is the sane one in the family.
    See Above.

none

we aren't lunatics

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Liberal <> left wing
    in america it is.

Our left hijacked the term liberal and raped it into nonsense

Grew up with a soft-left Lib Dem father and a conservative Persian mother. I take after my father a lot and was politically similar to him in my teens and early 20s, and then like many people I became more conservative/libertarian as I gained life experience. I also learned about the evil of the cult of islam from how my mother's family was treated in the revolution so I'm thankful that I have more insight than your average westerner. These days my father has actually abandoned many of his "progressive" beliefs in the last few years as they have become untenable. Our whole family voted Leave and he even found himself being pro-Trump. He stopped reading the Economist and the Guardian, waking up to the amount of fake news and he is now getting his information from more varied independent sources. I think he is typical of his boomer generation that grew up blindly trusting establishment politics and establishment media, and it's difficult for them to let go.

Fox news refers to men like Bruce Jenner as "she" that's pretty left wing.
    So calling someone who comes out as a trans woman, goes through transition, gets sex reassignment operation and legally changes their gender to woman a "woman" is left-wing?

I genuinely think some of you people aren't real people sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by laplacedemon View Post
    So calling someone who comes out as a trans woman, goes through transition, gets sex reassignment operation and legally changes their gender to woman a "woman" is left-wing?

I genuinely think some of you people aren't real people sometimes.
    I genuinely think the same about you, honestly. If you are born a male you are male for life, nothing in this world can change it, ever, at least not at our current level of tech. surgery, makeup and changing your name does not change that fact.