Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Look out end game there’s a new contender for highest grossing movie !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    The only thing I'm excited about it, like many, is Jim Carrey as Robotnik. The rest looks awfully Hollywood cliched trying to adapt something the lazy way.

Human sidekick not existent in source material played by a B-list actor? Check.
    Green Hill Zone is just some lame looking city? Check.
    Main character is an awkwardly-rendered CGI insert in real world? Check.
    Awful pop/rap music to try to lure in the young crowd? Check.

This will be in the $3.99 bin at Target in an year.

No Tails, no Knuckles, no Rose, Robotnik's tech isn't zany and ridiculously futuristic, but more like state of the art military tech. Oh, and Sonic is an alien (better be looking like that, because since it's real Earth, I'm sure there are real hedgehogs who can't talk, run at super sonic speeds and are blue.)

I bet they're thinking this will become some franchise and they can introduce Tails in the sequel and Knuckles in the threequel. The naivete.
    They are probaly doing a story of how robotnik ends up in sonic area.

Anyway -- this was his look in ralph movie:

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    This will be in the $3.99 bin at Target in an year.
    I work at a movie theater. If they are very, VERY lucky this abomination will manage to scrape through the minimum mandated 2 week playtime, and then will vanish like a fart on the wind. And given how quickly shit hits DVD / Blue Ray these days, I wouldn't be surprised if you could bargain bin it at Target 2 weeks after it leaves theatres......

10+ Year Old Account
    The fake Taco Bell trailer with James Marsden looked more like a real movie than this does. I expected to be horrified and I was not disappointed.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Jim Carrey as Jim Carrey in his most Jim Carrey role in 10+ years. Also staring a blue CGI abomination.
    To be fair, has he had another role in the last 10 years?

I liked the trailer but then again i'm not as invested into the sonic history as others, just took it at face value. It's just another wreck-it-ralph , minions , lego movie to me

Uncanny Valley!!!!!!

5+ Year Old Account
    Bo Catlett: You think we watch any of your movies, Harry? I've seen better film on teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Sometimes its like he isnt even listening to us.

- - - Updated - - -

They wanted a super sonic, blue, anthropomorphic hedgehog to have that "realistic" look. I mean if they went for a straight copy it would look too fake.
    In what way does the version they are using for the movie "more real" than what he actually looks like?

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helgrimm View Post
    cmon guys, I mean, the kids will love it right? Sonic is TOTALLY their generation. /s
    I think it's targeting furries..

Chris-chan predicted that Sonic would be electric type :P

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    To be fair, has he had another role in the last 10 years?
    Mr. Popper's Penguins,
    Kick-Ass 2,
    Anchorman 2,
    Dumb and Dumber To (yep, actual title, not a spelling error),
    The Bad Batch,
    Dark Crimes,
    and several times as a narrator and/or executive producer.

But yes, he likes to paint so he made very few appearances.

As for the trailer:
    Bad choice of song,
    looks very cheap,
    and very bad.
    So bad, that it could be entertaining again. Trainwreck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

7+ Year Old Account
    Looks very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    I think it's targeting furries..
    They want fap material, not nightmare fuel.

Idk why anyone is surprised. Sonic has been drop dead bad since its inception lol

I mean just look at the games. Wtf is that gameplay? It's like it's designed for autistic people. Which isn't meant as an insult or anything. It's just generally stuff they enjoy and obsess over.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    They want fap material, not nightmare fuel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

At least, apparently, Sonic does not have any of it's brightly color friends….

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    At least, apparently, Sonic does not have any of it's brightly color friends….
    They'll save those for the after credits scene to really send people over the edge before they leave... regarding people stay in the cinema for that long lol.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

My god, that Sonic looks terrible.

But how amazing would it be if this was all a fake-out and they surprised us with the real Sonic design at the last minute? This keeps running in the back of my head because it genuinely feels like the movie design goes against every single aspect of the character that made him popular. It lacks all the visual cues that give you the immediate understanding of what Sonic's character is. Even the skin-colored arms actually served a purpose, it makes his blue fur pattern reminiscent of a tracksuit one would often see Olympic runners wearing. His long legs, his big sneakers, gloves, long legs and eye shape all give every visual indication that Sonic's a laid back, somewhat snarky and over-the-top "way past cool" character.

It feels like this movie design almost aggressively goes out of its way to ruin that image. His eyes are small and (comparatively) beady, his quills don't really jut out the same way, his legs are thick and bulky and his arms and gloves have been changed to give him a more animalistic look. It's weird as hell and the design doesn't really evoke any strong feelings of likability or even fastness. The legs in particular are borderline nightmarish.

I seriously can't figure out whether this is the greatest prank of all time and we're meant to find it unsettling or if this was made by the most oblivious and unaware movie directors imaginable. Sonic's design practically took over a part of the internet for a good reason, because it's classic and objectively really well crafted. This is like what someone would make if they tried to make Sonic without any real understanding of character design at all.

I wish Hollywood would stop wasting millions on movies like this and just give it to me instead, I can find a lot better uses for that much money.