Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaderas View Post
    Define useful. I think Philosophy has provided useful answers to me, for helping me live a happier better life. Science has helped me understand the world I live in, but I can't think of anything in science that has necessarily made me a happier person for knowing the answer. Just saying.
    Do you live your entire life in agony from tooth ache? No? Then science has given you a happier life.

Or, to phrase the title of the thread better, "Is Science doomed to be so unfathomably effective at its goals that it eventually runs out of questions to answer?"

One can hope. When you weigh what a few significant advancements in knowledge were able to do for us in 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Najnaj View Post
    Do you live your entire life in agony from tooth ache? No? Then science has given you a happier life.
    No.
    "No pain" is the neutral point.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    This sort of sums it up.

http://www.differencebetween.net/mis...act-and-truth/

A fact is something that is.
    A truth is something you believe.
    I understand that people use the word that way, it's just a ridiculous usage.

By that argument, the voices a schizophrenic hears are "true", not hallucinations. All the various conflicting religions of the world are equally "true", even when they directly contradict each other. It's a useless turn of phrase, and ignores what "truth" actually means. It's an attempt to have one's opinion be granted the same consideration as fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    No.
    "No pain" is the neutral point.
    ...and it is because of science.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Cosmos, Quantum and Consciousness: Is Science Doomed to Leave Some Questions Unanswered?
    Source: https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ns-unanswered/

Physicists, philosophers debate whether research can ever solve certain mysteries of the universe—and the human mind

As the thread title poses, do you believe science can be used to answer every question we put to it?

I used to think yes, though have slowly changed my mind on that to no. I think it is a useful tool, but cannot answer the fundamental questions put to it.

Things like consciousness, though it may explain the physical correlates, quantum mechanics, there is most likely no “hidden variable”, nor things like a fundamental final particle... things are infinitely small.
    This is hubris science always moves forward people at every age have the same idiotic chest thumping claim, if science cannot solve this then it will never be explained. It is at those points where those scientists use god because their egos are too large to acknowledge that someone in the future will have better tools or be smarter than they are.

- - - Updated - - -

You mean "literally nothing that you're capable of thinking of."
    Until we have something that is proven to be better science is the best we have, it is very possible a new discipline arises to eclipse it but just like you need to crawl before running science would be the foundation.

...and it is because of science.
    It's not "happiness" though.

Given enough time, I'm certain science could answer any question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    "That's my style; I like to kick 'em when they're down!"
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

It's not "happiness" though.
    No, neither is not being burned alive at the stake. The chance of being happy diminishes radically when you are in agony however ...

No, neither is not being burned alive at the stake. The chance of being happy diminishes radically when you are in agony however ...
    I thought you were talking about the "neutral point."

Well, as one physicist put it; The imagination of nature is far, far greater than the imagination of man.

I thought you were talking about the "neutral point."

Well, as one physicist put it; The imagination of nature is far, far greater than the imagination of man.
    Maybe you were. I was responding to a statement that philosophy was more responsible for happiness than science.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's the device doing the "observation", not you directly; it isn't about sentience, just about measurement.
    It depends on the interpretation of quantum mechanics, there are some that link observations (or wave-function collapse) to consciousness.

I'm not saying that they are right - or even that right or wrong are applicable to them, merely that those interpretations exist.

Maybe you were. I was responding to a statement that philosophy was more responsible for happiness than science.
    Okay but Shaderas point was that philosophy helped him live a "happier better life". Which the point of the thread is simply understanding the limitations of science. For example abolishing slavery also helped people live happier better lives, through an improvement in moral philosophy. Where as some people think that all progress is scientific. Historically that was because empricists wanted a defense against religion, but you can't combat one misconception using another misconception.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Okay but Shaderas point was that philosophy helped him live a "happier better life". Which the point of the thread is simply understanding the limitations of science. For example abolishing slavery also helped people live happier better lives, through an improvement in moral philosophy. Where as some people think that all progress is scientific. Historically that was because empricists wanted a defense against religion, but you can't combat one misconception using another misconception.
    No one thinks that all progress is scientific. That does not mean that we get to ignore the leaps and bounds made for us and our ability to be happy by science. How happy would you really be after your nose fell off from syphilis? You get to not having to see that due to science. How happy could you really be living is serfdom? You get not to do that from philosophy.

Religion is mostly tinsel in its purest form and a very different topic.

Science will never explain war.

as one of my favorite anime scientists once said "if something is perfect, then there is nothing left to learn." i don't think science will ever be finished. i would be willing to bet our race dies out before we understand everything.

Science will never explain war.
    The explanation for war is that before the ~20th century everyone thought that adjacent tribes were sub-human. Violence is reasonable when you think something is sub-human, it was viewed kind of like killing wild animals.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    The explanation for war is that before the ~20th century everyone thought that adjacent tribes were sub-human. Violence is reasonable when you think something is sub-human, it was viewed kind of like killing wild animals.
    No explanation will ever suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I understand that people use the word that way, it's just a ridiculous usage.

By that argument, the voices a schizophrenic hears are "true", not hallucinations. All the various conflicting religions of the world are equally "true", even when they directly contradict each other. It's a useless turn of phrase, and ignores what "truth" actually means. It's an attempt to have one's opinion be granted the same consideration as fact.
    A schizophrenic doesn't have the opinion that he hears voices. He hears those voices. In his mind, that is an absolute truth. The fact that the voices are not real does not change that truth for him.

Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2019-05-02 at 09:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    We're gonna Godwin so much you might even get tired of Godwinning

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    A schizophrenic doesn't have the opinion that he hears voices. He hears those voices. In his mind, that is an absolute truth. The fact that the voices are not real does not change that truth for him.
    I agree with you (as did Jung, and other psychologists) but you will not get through to Endus, he is firmly stuck in a one sided view of reality. Objective reality Trumps all for him, and other people that have science as their highest axiom (what Jung would call a God).
    Vocatus atque non vocatus, deus aderit.