Class Concept Void Ranger / Dark Ranger Updated for 2019 (Long post)

Before we start..

So personally I have always been really interested in the Dark Ranger archetype, and also the newly introduced Void Ranger from Alleria. I have been thinking and tampering on how to make a class that fits either of these archetypes, and I figured. "Why not mix it?" The two archetypes resembles each other in many ways through ranged capabilities aswell as the similarities between their source of power being the Void and Undeath, aswell as their main lore figures being Sisters. Originally I had thought of the concept through Legion with the idea of the class changing between Undeath/Banshee for Horde through the teachings of Sylvanas. Void for both factions through the teachings of Alleria, and lastly "Light" for Alliance based on teachings of Veressa. This comes from a fan-theory I had that the three sisters would each be empowered in their own way through Legion, but since that didn't happen, and Alleria is now Alliance oriented, that idea felt to the ground.

Please note that there is a heavy lack of the necromancy aspect on the Dark Ranger, since it does not fit for the Void Ranger. I decided to remove that aspect completely, and turn the Dark Ranger and Void Ranger into something very similar, yet very different aesthetic wise.

Furthermore I have always wanted a hybrid physical ranged and melee damage dealer, switching between melee and ranged damage, and figured that this class would be the perfect place to introduce it!

Void Ranger / Dark Ranger Hero class concept

These classes are the same class, with different flavors, ability names, introductions and colorschemes based on the faction. The Void Rangers are aligned to the Alliance through teachings of Alleria, where the Dark Rangers are horde specific through teachings of Sylvanas/Nathanos. From here on, I will refer to both classes as “Ranger”.

Unlike the Demon Hunter which is supposed to be a low skill-floor and capped class, the Ranger is the opposite with a high focus on resource management, cooldowns, procs and debuffs, and a big distinction between the worse and better players.

The class will be the first true melee / ranged hybrid, which will switch a lot between ranged, and melee attacks. This will be done through two different stances (Stalker and Predator stance) like bearform / catform. The class will have two DPS focused specs, either aligning more to melee (Predator) or ranged (Stalker) damage, but both specs will switch between the two for optimal damage output. The spec will equip weapons based on their specialization (Ranged for Stalker, dual-wielded melee for Predator), and have a visual only secondary weapon (Think Outlaw Rogues and their hidden gun). The class will also have access to temporary stealth, and stealth-based abilities. This will be known as Shadowform (More information under “Hybrid Ability examples”)

The goal of the class is to be HIGHLY mobile, with decent sustained damage, and a few burst windows. The class’ weakness is their squishiness through lack of defensive cooldowns and passive, and therefor they rely on kiting and opportunities for their survival and melee damage. Their primary tools of kiting will come from slows, roots, gab-makers and movement cooldowns. Although the Ranger can cast most of their ranged abilities on the move, they have a weakness unlike their Hunter counterpart. Their casted ranged attacks can be interrupted with kicks and other interrupts.

Both specs will have various abilities that switches them to the other form.

Class Fantasy:

The Stalker

The Stalker walks through the shadows unnoticed to their prey. Once in position the stalker will take aim and unleash powerful attacks on their unsuspecting targets with a flurry of arrows, limiting their movement and making them unable to seek cover to avoid certain death. Once the stalker has weakened their prey and fear freezes their very bones, the stalker goes in for the kill with quick strikes from their blades, leaving only an unnaturally withered corpse behind. The Stalker is a patient and deadly killer, waiting for the right moment to strike from afar, and are able to outmaneuver even the quickest of minds.

-"If you ever see the Stalker, know that it is too late for savior and that death has come for you."

The Predator

The Predator weaves through the shadows to close the gab between them and their unsuspecting prey. From the shadows the Predator can sneak up close and personal to unleash a flurry of devastating and painful strikes at their unsuspecting foes, leaving them no chance of retaliation before their cold dead bodies fall silently to the ground. Should the unlikely scenario of the Predators prey survive the initial fight, the Predator will disengage through the shadows and unleash a rain of arrows before they even have a chance to draw their weapons.

-"Should you ever cross path with a Predator, pray for a quick death for you will not survive this encounter."

General:

Resources: Ferocity, Discipline and combo-points (capped at 3)
    These resources are dependent on one another, you will never have 100% of each, but rather 100% discipline and 0% ferocity or something in between. This is to create a flow between the two stances. Out of combat the resources will slowly align to 50/50%.

Ferocity is used for melee attacks and is generated through spending Discipline.
    Discipline is the other way around and is used for ranged attacks, and generated through spending Ferocity.
    Combo-points will be generated slower than Ferals and Rogues, but will be spent on bigger impact abilities.

Weapons: Bows, Crossbow, Guns, Dual-wield, sword, axes, fist weapons.
    Armor: Mail
    Races: Blood Elf, Nightborne, Forsaken, Troll, Zandalari for horde.
    Human, Night Elf, Void Elf, Worgen for Alliance.

EXAMPLE ABILITIES
    Please note that all ability names are placeholder (I am not that creative with names :>)

Ranged Abilities:

EXAMPLE SOLO PVE SCENARIO

The ranger starts off from Shadowform shooting a Shadow/Voidshot at the target dealing critical damage and affects the target with Shadow Affliction. The ranger slows the target with Crippling Shot right after to keep the distance and casts Focused Shot to generate a combopoint and follows up with a Weakening Shot to generate a 3rd combopoint, and increase the damage of the following Withering Shot spending their 3 combopoints. The ranger patiently waits for the aging process to create an opening and shoots another Focused Shot while waiting. After the target is rooted and Silenced the Ranger charges in with swords unsheathed with Shadow/Voidcleave as an execute with the damage of Withering Shot, Focused Shot and Shadow/Voidcleave all increased by the effect of Weakening Shot.

Against Stronger opponents or during raids, the Ranger should priotize Heartaim over Withering Shot for the increasing bleed damage as their primary Combopoint spender.

Melee Abilities:

EXAMPLE SOLO PVE SCENARIO

The Ranger starts the combat from Shadowform and sneaks up to their enemy striking them with Corruptive Strike for a Stun and increased Shadow Affliction damage. Afterwards the Ranger uses Void/ Deathstab to generate another combopoint. Void/ Deathstab procced a free Void / Deathreap but the ranger holds on to it for a moment and uses Death/Voidstrike for a 3rd combopoint. The Ranger unleashes Shadow Pierce to spend their combopoints and to increase the damage of the free Void / Deathreap, followed up with a Twin Shadow for a massive burst combo. Things are getting hot, and it’s time to disengage to Stalker Stance with Disengaging Shot that has increased damage from Void/ Deathstrike, kicking the enemy backwards and proceeds to finish off the target from range.

HYBRID ABILITY EXAMPLES

Consume Shadows note: Say that Shadow Affliction has 3 second duration left it will deal damage equal to 12 seconds it has already done damage (of a 15 seconds DoT), this damage is increased by X% based on combopoints spent. This awards patience with increased damage by pulling the DoT at the very last second.

The Way of Darkness note: This is a cooldown which can be used offensively, defensively and as a bit of both. Temporarily turning invisible to use your Shadowformed abilities and staying visible only for a brief amount of time, allowing you to re-position and confuse your opponents. In PvP enemies will have an opener to time their CC on the ranger when they pop out of Shadowform to deny them the next application.

Maddening Illusions / Spectral Haunt note: This is more or less a PvP talent, but could be baseline for fun. The idea is that the target chasing after the Ranger will be “chasing ghosts” so to speak, which is allowing the ranger to reposition. Please note that the Ranger is ONLY invisible and untargetable by the affected target, everyone else can still see and attack the ranger.

TALENT EXAMPLES

Stalker (Ranged)

First Tier: General Customization
    Choose between:

Second Tier: Mobility
    Choose between:

Third Tier: Voidform / Banshee Form Costumization
    Choose between:

Fourth Tier: AoE Customization
    Choose between:

Fifth Tier: Heartaim Customization
    Choose between:

TALENT EXAMPLES

Predator (Melee)

First Tier: General Customization
    Choose between:

Second Tier: Mobility
    Choose between:

Third Tier: Voidform / Banshee Form Costumization
    Choose between:

Fourth Tier: AoE
    Choose between:

Fifth Tier: Twin Shadows Costumization
    Choose between:

FAQ

WIP: More will be added over time

Q: Why not add this as a 4th spec for Hunters or Rogues?
    A: I personally believe that the class is distinct enough to warrant its own class and specs. Especially considering the hybrid melee / ranged aspect of the class being a main theme for both specs. Furthermore I believe that some of the races available to play Hunter or Rogue does not fit the fantasy of the Dark Ranger / Void Ranger very well. I can't imagine an Orc Dark Ranger embracing Banshee form or a Dwarf Void Ranger Shadow Jump'ing around.

Q: We need more tanks and healers, why not include an option for one or both for a 3rd specialization?
    A: I believe that the Dark Ranger / Void Ranger is a purely offensive class with weak defenses, and a lack of team utility. Furthermore I think it's hard to incorporate a Tank/Healing spec that would fit both the fantasy of the Dark Ranger and the Void Ranger.

Q: How will the Dark Ranger / Void Ranger fit in to the raid mechanics that are based around melee or ranged DPS?
    A: Honestly, I haven't given it much thought, and personally I am not a big raider (Pugged a few HC raids through Legion) so my answer may be limited by my knowledge. I personally imagine that raid mechanics would be based on the current stance of the Ranger. If you are in Predator Stance (Melee) when the mechanics trigger, you will be counted as melee whether or not you switch to Stalker Stance (Ranged) during said mechanic. I furthermore believe that Blizzard has a solution in mind considering the current iteration of Survival Hunter.

Q: Can't the Ranger just stay in one stance to avoid certain mechanics, and completely ignore the other stance?
    A: The simple answer is no. The long answer is, that the Ranger is forced to switch stance to deplete the resources generated to their opposite stance. That is of course occasionally negated by having Preperation available to transfer their unused resources to the resources used in their current stance. Other than that they will be unable to do anything but auto-attack, and use a few low impact abilities until they switch stance to deplete their generated resources.

Thank you for taking your time to read through my wall of text. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

I take no credit for the used images or icons. All credit goes to the respective creators of the art, as well as Blizzard Entertainment for the icons used.
    Last edited by IAMANIKOLAS; 2021-08-29 at 07:42 PM.
    Whether you think you can or can't - You're right!

You can read my in-depth Void Ranger / Dark Ranger class concept from 2019 (With pictures) here.

I think any Dark Ranger concept class should have a "Black-Arrow" ability in it. It was removed from Hunters in BFA so it's up for grabs

Blizzard does seem up to something regarding Dark Rangers by continuing the story of Dark Ranger Velonara and Death-Hunter Moorgoth.
    "I guess only blood elves feel like the odd man out for the Horde. I hope that we've engineered that into it as deftly as we could, but you know, it's the equivalent of a bunch of white chicks hanging out with goblin or tauren. It's weird." -- Chris Metzen

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, they wouldn't add anything like this. "Too complex".

Remember, this is the same company that said having abilities do different things in PvP and PvE would confuse people. Even though CC's did that since Vanilla....

Cool idea but I feel people would get pissy over another class being tied to elves

7+ Year Old Account
    What happened with this one? I mean, whether idea essence is much different? Just... these concepts are already as acnes on teenager's face. And again what with original one, what prevented to replace of non-compliant elements and then update it (perhaps, emphasizing thereby some kind priority in originality of such idea)?
    Last edited by Alkizon; 2019-05-02 at 07:29 PM.
    __---=== IMHO(+cg) and MORE |"links-inside" ===---__

__---=== PM me WHERE if I'm unnecessarily "notifying" you ===---__

I applaud the insane amount of work put into your concept. Great ideas! Would love to play your version of a Dark Ranger/Void Ranger.

Personally, I think Class Archetypes would be great as it's own class-based version of Allied Races, that allow you to unlock various fantasies only playable in WC3 or read about in the lore. It would also be a cool way to introduce a lot of class fantasies that don't quite fit into any one bubble, or overlap with existing class mechanics. Similarly to Allied Races, you have to meet certain requirements in the world in order to apply them to your current class or for a new character. That way hunters could play with a dark ranger archetype, and death knights could go Necromancer. There might be multiple archetypes to a class or group of classes. Alliance Warriors and Rogues might be able to unlock both a Sentinel and Warden archetype among others, while Hordies could work to obtain a Darkspear Headhunter or a Burning Blade Clan themed Blademaster.
    Last edited by Mellrod; 2019-05-02 at 05:48 AM.
    ( -> | |=====-~
    / ) \ | |
    - " "-| |
    ( -> | |====~
    / ) \ | |
    -" "-| |

The resource system and play style for your concept would be fun. I don't see it as a problem in a raid environment at all.

My major criticisms would be to remove the need or ability to change stances, people don't seem to be a fan of those. I also think something needs to be added to this class that helps differentiate themselves from just being super stealthy hunters that use shadow magic.

You're also missing some of the fun stuff like spec names and my personal favorite part about class concepts that people don't take advantage of, and yet it's so simple..class color!

Nice job overall though.

Quote Originally Posted by Garfurion View Post
    I think any Dark Ranger concept class should have a "Black-Arrow" ability in it. It was removed from Hunters in BFA so it's up for grabs

Blizzard does seem up to something regarding Dark Rangers by continuing the story of Dark Ranger Velonara and Death-Hunter Moorgoth.

Holy shit I forgot Black Arrow.. I'll make something up haha, thank you for the reminder. I have no idea how I could've missed this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Yeah, they wouldn't add anything like this. "Too complex".

Remember, this is the same company that said having abilities do different things in PvP and PvE would confuse people. Even though CC's did that since Vanilla....
    You're probably right, but one can only dream

Quote Originally Posted by Grythletubs View Post
    Cool idea but I feel people would get pissy over another class being tied to elves
    Thank you!

I have taken a precaution against that, and the class is already open to other races (Zandalari and humans for instance)

Quote Originally Posted by Alkizon View Post
    What happened with this one? I mean, whether idea essence is much different? Just... these concepts are already as acnes on teenager's face. And again what with original one, what prevented to replace of non-compliant elements and then update it (perhaps, emphasizing thereby some kind priority in originality of such idea)?
    Thank you for your response, although I am not quite sure how to reply to this. The post you are referring to is made by another author than me, and I have (regretably) not seen the post before.

In regards to originality, I personally do believe that my class design is very unique to world of warcraft (and perhabs even other games?)

Please feel free to elaborate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellrod View Post
    I applaud the insane amount of work put into your concept. Great ideas! Would love to play your version of a Dark Ranger/Void Ranger.

Personally, I think Class Archetypes would be great as it's own class-based version of Allied Races, that allow you to unlock various fantasies only playable in WC3 or read about in the lore. It would also be a cool way to introduce a lot of class fantasies that don't quite fit into any one bubble, or overlap with existing class mechanics. Similarly to Allied Races, you have to meet certain requirements in the world in order to apply them to your current class or for a new character. That way hunters could play with a dark ranger archetype, and death knights could go Necromancer. There might be multiple archetypes to a class or group of classes. Alliance Warriors and Rogues might be able to unlock both a Sentinel and Warden archetype among others, while Hordies could work to obtain a Darkspear Headhunter or a Burning Blade Clan themed Blademaster.
    Thank you so much for your kind words !

I have been thinking that thought as well, and it would be an easy way to implement every "class" ever thought of (almost), but I personally believe that it would take away the developers freedom to create new classes for the future. Imagine a hunter with the Dark Ranger archetype suddenly losing their appeal because there's a new sherif in town (Being the Dark Ranger class). Also it would in my opinion ruin a lot of the fantasy revolving said class. I don't think that most classes would fit into the Dark Ranger archetype (Imagine a Dwarf Void Ranger, or a Tauren Dark Ranger?)

The idea could work, but I think that it should be limited to something very very niché, that would clash well with the class for all races.

Quote Originally Posted by Amunrasonther View Post
    The resource system and play style for your concept would be fun. I don't see it as a problem in a raid environment at all.

My major criticisms would be to remove the need or ability to change stances, people don't seem to be a fan of those. I also think something needs to be added to this class that helps differentiate themselves from just being super stealthy hunters that use shadow magic.

You're also missing some of the fun stuff like spec names and my personal favorite part about class concepts that people don't take advantage of, and yet it's so simple..class color!

Nice job overall though.
    Thank you for your kind words, and constructive criticism!

I have thought of different ways to make the hybrid feel outside of a stance, but I was always met with the limitation of two set of weapons, and figured that the stance switch could work well if implemented properly. I know that it wont be for everyone, and this class it self isn't for everyone.

In regards to differentiating the class from a stealthy hunter with shadow magic. I think that I managed to do that quite well, with the addition of a unique resource system as well as the ability to change between range and melee at will. Also the class is able to be interrupted by regular interrupts (price you pay for an almost 100% mobile rotation), way more squishy and with less tools to stay alive if they are caught.

In regards to class color and spec names, I think that I managed to hit "something" with the deep purple/blue color (different from their Lock and Shaman counterparts), along with "Stalker" and "Predator" for spec names.
    Last edited by IAMANIKOLAS; 2019-05-03 at 12:03 PM.

You can read my in-depth Void Ranger / Dark Ranger class concept from 2019 (With pictures) here.

Quote Originally Posted by Grythletubs View Post
    Just like Nathanos is basically this class, I'm sure more than elves could play it. Trolls were shadow hunters, so they are an obvious addition. Humans and forsaken could surely play it.

Alliance:
    Humans
    Void Elves
    Dark Iron
    Night Elves?

Horde:
    Forsaken
    Blood Elves
    Troll 1
    Troll 2
    Orcs?

5+ Year Old Account
    I like it but i have one complain.....

Where is Black Arrow..... you know that ability its core on Dark Rangers and yet hunters before Battle for Azeroth had it as a talent, then it was removed. But you dont include it, i know its sounds douchy but...... its a core thing on that fantasy, and the void version could be just a void creature spawn instead of a death fiend.

Everything else look awesome and NOW it looks more a class rather than a Spec for Hunters or Dks

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Traycor View Post
    Just like Nathanos is basically this class, I'm sure more than elves could play it. Trolls were shadow hunters, so they are an obvious addition. Humans and forsaken could surely play it.
    The problem is that Nathanos isn't a banshee. He's just a highly skilled forsaken MM Hunter. Pretty much all the Dark Rangers aside from Sylvannas are Forsaken MM Hunters.

cool concept, but def agree we need the signature black arrow.

i could see this playing like FF14 red mage which is one of the most enjoyable mmo classes i've played recently. build up resource and charge in for quick melee then disengage out for a big finisher.

I know Blizzard and they would just all be Dark Rangers but they would fuel their power from a different source based on faction. They are way too lazy to split the ability names. If it happens more than likely they will all be trained by Sylvanas and her elite Dark Rangers after she leaves the Horde and is made neutral, essentially like the Lich King and DK but with more free will I guess or the illusion of free will?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IAMANIKOLAS View Post
    Thank you for your response, although I am not quite sure how to reply to this. The post you are referring to is made by another author than me, and I have (regretably) not seen the post before.
    I didn't mean anything concrete, just whether these two concepts are different and, if so, how much. That concept seemed to me something like:
    There was some concept thread about it not so long ago. Looks like witch (kind of banshee) who uses bow as magical object (wand/staff for spells projection/point of own magic force application), but mostly in role of decoration. Looks quite viable within current overall wretchedness of classes design.
    and I was too lazy to get a grasp/read-in for this one here.

As for "hybrid" battle, then, my friend, everything is somewhat more complicated due to the fact that @$$-hands devs have deprived 3rd battle slot (friends did big part of this long ago, and I'm playing here role rather more like popularizer, that's why mostly the quotes) of its functionality, thereby depriving characters of existing non-"artificial/fictional" alternative/bonus weapon. And hybrid fight without it is nothing more than stupid convention... I don’t see them having particular desire to return everything at proper logical position. Does it interfere with your idea?
    Quote Originally Posted by IAMANIKOLAS View Post
    Their secondary weapon set will work the way Outlaw Rogues pistol works.
    Well, that $ux, because rogues have neither right to this ability, nor explanation of its work, which means that your concept just has become a little bit worse We shouldn't encourage devs' "feeble mind" behavior.

It was always shame for DK in this sense, for whom they replaced quite appropriate magic "dark" spell with banal physical effect in form of chain (with a hook?), which they don't even have with them. I don’t know what smoked the one who offered this (rather overplayed MK), but the fact that approver doesn’t belong to own job is clear without fortuneteller visit.
    Last edited by Alkizon; 2019-05-05 at 05:35 AM.
    __---=== IMHO(+cg) and MORE |"links-inside" ===---__

__---=== PM me WHERE if I'm unnecessarily "notifying" you ===---__

Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    cool concept, but def agree we need the signature black arrow.

i could see this playing like FF14 red mage which is one of the most enjoyable mmo classes i've played recently. build up resource and charge in for quick melee then disengage out for a big finisher.
    Thank you, and agreed

Hmm sounds cool, have never played FF14 so i wouldn't know. Might check it out

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    I know Blizzard and they would just all be Dark Rangers but they would fuel their power from a different source based on faction. They are way too lazy to split the ability names. If it happens more than likely they will all be trained by Sylvanas and her elite Dark Rangers after she leaves the Horde and is made neutral, essentially like the Lich King and DK but with more free will I guess or the illusion of free will?

Maybe you are right, but I believe it could be a way for Blizzard to solve faction issues when it comes to classes. They could for instance make Spellbreakers for Horde and Wardens for the alliance, where they would both be anti-mage archetypes but with different visuals and ability names. Same thing could be done with other classes

I didn't mean anything concrete, just whether these two concepts are different and, if so, how much. That concept seemed to me something like:
    and I was too lazy to get a grasp/read-in for this one here.

As for "hybrid" battle, then, my friend, everything is somewhat more complicated due to the fact that @$$-hands devs have deprived 3rd battle slot (friends did big part of this long ago, and I'm playing here role rather more like popularizer, that's why mostly the quotes) of its functionality, thereby depriving characters of existing non-"artificial/fictional" alternative/bonus weapon. And hybrid fight without it is nothing more than stupid convention... I don’t see them having particular desire to return everything at proper logical position. Does it interfere with your idea?
    The concepts are very different. His is focused on 3 different specs being melee, ranged and magic. I focus on two both being hybrid melee and ranged, with a specialization for each.

In regards to the off-hand slot. I have covered that in my post. There wont be any. Their secondary weapon set will work the way Outlaw Rogues pistol works.