Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ...
6
14
15
16
17
18
... LastLast
  1. #301
    Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    Yes but apparently this whole sale is paid for by epic, the publishers still get the full price for each sold game (from what i've heard). It's a strange sale and, even if Edge doesn't like to hear it, it really makes it look like the store is not selling as much as one is made to believe.
    You do realize lots of stores do that and also what is your source for this claim?

    All you seem to do is shit on EGS,Say something false, Get Proven wrong and then goal post move. We get it you hate EGS because it kicked your puppy.
    My PC: Intel Core i5-4690K|16GB DDR3-1600|1TB HD|EVGA GeForce GTX 1070
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

  2. #302
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    You do realize lots of stores do that and also what is your source for this claim?

    All you seem to do is shit on EGS,Say something false, Get Proven wrong and then goal post move. We get it you hate EGS because it kicked your puppy.
    I never heard of another store doing this.
    I got proven wrong once, i accepted it (not many people do that on this forum). What's your problem with that? Are you never wrong?
    I don't like the EGS because i think it's bad for consumers, whats your reason to defend it time and time again?

  3. #303
    Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    I never heard of another store doing this.
    I got proven wrong once, i accepted it (not many people do that on this forum). What's your problem with that? Are you never wrong?
    I don't like the EGS because i think it's bad for consumers, whats your reason to defend it time and time again?
    1) Then you haven't paid attention to how stores work.
    2) You have been proven wrong more then once, You have only "Accepted" that you was wrong one time.
    3) You can think EGS is bad for consumers but its factually good for consumers because competition is good for consumers. Not once have I actually defended the store and you can even read my posts where I have said both EGS and Steam are shit.

    But competition is good and nothing is 100% good or bad. If you have taken a basic business class you would understand how EGS is actually good for the consumer.

    Valve isn't hungry and hasn't been in quite sometime, The state if their store shows this. EGS lighting a fire under their ass and exposing how greedy they are is good for the consumer.

    You keep shitting on EGS while ignoring Valve's hand in this matter. Once again if Valve just said 88% the EGS would be over.

    You keep only looking at the short term things you don't like (Like the exclusives) and fully ignoring the long term benefits.
    My PC: Intel Core i5-4690K|16GB DDR3-1600|1TB HD|EVGA GeForce GTX 1070
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

  4. #304
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    But competition is good and nothing is 100% good or bad.
    Competition for customers is good for customers. Epics competes for Publishers.

  5. #305
    Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    Competition for customers is good for customers. Epics competes for Publishers.
    Brig will never understand that. He is so focused on his hate for valve disregarding all factors to try and desperately paint EPIC in good light. This sale is finally something good epic is doing for consumers (along with the promotion of giveaways), and the principle of what they're trying to accomplish is fine (real competition would be good). Unfortunately exclusives literally are the opposite (epic could literally overpay for big name exclusives, making the developer thrilled, and screw the end user with experience and cost for the full term of the contract) and the tired "if steam would go down to 88%" argument is such a strawman. I wish epic would spend some of these large sums of money they're throwing around to implementing a few basic (or heaven forbid, "good"/"advanced") features for their store, and do something about their terrible practices/security/image. I (and many) want to support healthy competition -- epic is not it (yet, at least) the way they're doing it. And steam has its issues but it also has all the features, support, better (not flawless) security, and pioneered the industry. All they need to do is redefine or restructure their indy game offerings (clean up the crapshow) and maybe compete a bit more on this developer payout issue (if they want the goodwill; they'll likely need to extend their 20% on >500k down to a lower or even base value)

  6. #306
    Elemental Lord rhorle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    8,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    Yes but apparently this whole sale is paid for by epic, the publishers still get the full price for each sold game (from what i've heard). It's a strange sale and, even if Edge doesn't like to hear it, it really makes it look like the store is not selling as much as one is made to believe.
    Incorrect. Epic is paying the $10 rebate. Each publisher/developer sets the sale price for their game. That itself has brought some controversy as some have pulled from the sale and others have raised prices.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    I never heard of another store doing this.
    Greenmangaming has vouchers all of the time. It isn't as broad as Epic's voucher/rebate. But companies paying for sales is nothing new in the retail. And I'd like you to try and prove that steam does not have incentives to offer lowers sales on games during their mega sales.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    Competition for customers is good for customers. Epics competes for Publishers.
    And yet they still need to compete for customers so they make those publishers money. But your statement is dumb considering the alternative to epic exclusives is the product being exclusively on steam.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Razamith View Post
    All they need to do is redefine or restructure their indy game offerings (clean up the crapshow) and maybe compete a bit more on this developer payout issue (if they want the goodwill; they'll likely need to extend their 20% on >500k down to a lower or even base value)
    Its funny how you support a statement saying that competing for publishers is bad yet then go on to say steam needs to compete for publishers as well. The end user is not screwed for cost with exclusives because epic has yet to price anything above industry standards. The only other thing you lose out on is a profile to showcase achievements. The games will still have their own internal achievements if they want. But steam profiles, cards, badges, etc are really not that important in the grand scheme.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  7. #307
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    But your statement is dumb considering the alternative to epic exclusives is the product being exclusively on steam.
    This is false dichotomy, they can be sold on both, they can be sold on neither.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

  8. #308
    Elemental Lord rhorle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    8,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    This is false dichotomy, they can be sold on both, they can be sold on neither.
    A steam key is still a steam key no matter where you obtain it from.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  9. #309
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    A steam key is still a steam key no matter where you obtain it from.
    How is game sold on both Steam and EGS is "still a steam key"?
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

  10. #310
    Elemental Lord rhorle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    8,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    How is game sold on both Steam and EGS is "still a steam key"?
    Context. Steam competes for publishers and not consumers. They do this by having games only on steam, like Borderlands 2. They give the illusion of competing with consumers by giving other stores the ability to sell a steam key. Obviously games can still be sold on both platforms. It already happens. Steam also has exclusives that no one bats an eye at.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  11. #311
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Context. Steam competes for publishers and not consumers. They do this by having games only on steam, like Borderlands 2. They give the illusion of competing with consumers by giving other stores the ability to sell a steam key. Obviously games can still be sold on both platforms. It already happens. Steam also has exclusives that no one bats an eye at.
    You are free to prove that Steam has exclusive contract with 2K over Borderlands 2.
    As for why it's only on Steam so far, Borderlands 2 uses Steamworks for their multiplayer. I guess Gearbox are too lazy to rewrite net code.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

  12. #312
    Elemental Lord rhorle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    8,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    You are free to prove that Steam has exclusive contract with 2K over Borderlands 2. As for why it's only on Steam so far, Borderlands 2 uses Steamworks for their multiplayer. I guess Gearbox are too lazy to rewrite net code.
    You don't have to have a contract for something to be exclusively on a platform. If epic sticks around, and grows, Steam will likely start having contracts that limit platforms. They don't need to because of critical mass and being the only real distribution platform for most studios.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  13. #313
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    You don't have to have a contract for something to be exclusively on a platform.
    That's like saying that not spending money on charity is equal to personally killing starving people.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

  14. #314
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    That's like saying that not spending money on charity is equal to personally killing starving people.
    what the actual fuck?

  15. #315
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Its funny how you support a statement saying that competing for publishers is bad yet then go on to say steam needs to compete for publishers as well. The end user is not screwed for cost with exclusives because epic has yet to price anything above industry standards. The only other thing you lose out on is a profile to showcase achievements. The games will still have their own internal achievements if they want. But steam profiles, cards, badges, etc are really not that important in the grand scheme.
    You may want to re-read that more carefully. I said exclusives were bad for consumer, but (real) competition is good for the marketplace (all parties, but ironically least for the distributor, but still not negative). Epic should make the 88% cut a talking point and a reason to choose them over steam. That talking point loses all merits when they sign exclusivity deals because it removes the choice. Compete by offering the best deals, drawing publishers to you over your competitors (without exclusivity contracts), offering the most features in your platform, offering a better experience, etc. Steam should be forced to improve due to a real competitor, but they're not cause you cant compete with contracts without resorting to them yourself, then everyone loses.

    And dont be so myopic/disingenuous that you spout the nonsense that "its just another launcher" or "you only miss out on achievements". You damn well know that there is a myriad of reasons steam is a better platform currently (feature-wise; content/experience is subjective). Although the meme-like checklist of features steam has epic doesn't is bloated and contains a few things that are inconsequential, there's a number of items that are important to one person or another, some being dealbreakers. This is all besides the huge security concerns.

    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    You don't have to have a contract for something to be exclusively on a platform. If epic sticks around, and grows, Steam will likely start having contracts that limit platforms. They don't need to because of critical mass and being the only real distribution platform for most studios.
    Pretty sure you know the difference between something being contractually exclusive and something only appearing on one platform. The former is you CANNOT offer it elsewhere outside of the contract because you've been compensated for exclusivity (and the contractor [EGS] is free to charge whatever they want / handle it however they want for the length of it, as long as it abides by the terms set). The latter is free to appear on a platform if they appeal to the producer (say, had a lower percent take, or had better distribution market presence). That's not "exclusivity" as in a contract, it just means only one place is willing to sell or the producer only wishes to sell on one place for the time being / current conditions.

  16. #316
    Elemental Lord rhorle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    8,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    That's like saying that not spending money on charity is equal to personally killing starving people.
    If you are the only major platform around people will be exclusive with you simply because. You don't need to force them. Most places that sell games sell steam keys instead of being a separate digital distribution platform. There are plenty of games that require steam in order to play. That is a platform exclusive.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Razamith View Post
    The latter is free to appear on a platform if they appeal to the producer (say, had a lower percent take, or had better distribution market presence). That's not "exclusivity" as in a contract, it just means only one place is willing to sell or the producer only wishes to sell on one place for the time being / current conditions.
    I never said steam has exclusive contracts. It is still exclusive games though. There is nothing about the definition of exclusive that requires the word contract. Steam hasn't had to sign contracts because they are the major platform. Developers have little other choice.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  17. #317
    Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    Competition for customers is good for customers. Epics competes for Publishers.
    And how is this not them competing for customers?

    Last checked EGS and Valve sell to customers not rocks.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Razamith View Post
    Brig will never understand that. He is so focused on his hate for valve disregarding all factors to try and desperately paint EPIC in good light.
    Your so right, Me calling EGS a pile of shit is me painting them in a good light.....
    My PC: Intel Core i5-4690K|16GB DDR3-1600|1TB HD|EVGA GeForce GTX 1070
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

  18. #318
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Your so right, Me calling EGS a pile of shit is me painting them in a good light.....

    You are either with us or against us! Yarrrrrrr! Callin it shit ain't enuff!

    I love how these discussions always turns into a you are either one extreme or the other, a "fanboy" or a "hater", some Star Wars kind of shit always going on.

  19. #319
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    You are either with us or against us! Yarrrrrrr! Callin it shit ain't enuff!

    I love how these discussions always turns into a you are either one extreme or the other, a "fanboy" or a "hater", some Star Wars kind of shit always going on.
    Right.

    What kills me is the fact we have Tim Sweeney on record saying if Valve went 88% (something I have said longer then he has) they would stop with the timed exclusive deals.

    Yet somehow this is still EGS fault and not Valves/Gabes for being a greedy fuck. Publishers getting more $$$ (without the MTX bullshit) is a very good thing for the consumer.

    But yet you get people like Yriel and Razamith who think's its all EGS's fault and Valve are saints.
    My PC: Intel Core i5-4690K|16GB DDR3-1600|1TB HD|EVGA GeForce GTX 1070
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

  20. #320
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    But yet you get people like Yriel and Razamith who think's its all EGS's fault and Valve are saints.
    Hypocryte. Maybe you should follow the advice you're pretending to be on the right side of:

    I love how these discussions always turns into a you are either one extreme or the other, a "fanboy" or a "hater", some Star Wars kind of shit always going on.
    All my posts here (and elsewhere) say how much i'd like EGS to succeed if they fix things and calling on valve to fix their things too. Pot, kettle. I'm sure Myobi will call you out for this too ::eyeroll::

    - - - Updated - - -

    The only thing i'll backtrack on is I read your point #3 slightly wrong and thought i remembered you being a gungho EGS dude unwilling to listen to both sides and that was me being too assumptive; doesn't change the rest of the reply to which i disagree heavily with your opinion.
    Last edited by Razamith; 2019-05-17 at 08:36 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •