Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Yes, sort of like World of Warcraft, Minecraft, League of Legends, Counter Strike and what not... oh wait.

Sure, eventually this massive craze around of it will shift into something else new and exciting, but it won't die, it will pretty much stay where it is just making less money.
    And this is the reason why they made a store. Less money is not good enogh ... gota get ALL THE MONEY:

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    And this is the reason why they made a store. Less money is not good enogh ... gota get ALL THE MONEY:
    How dare a business want to make money. That is so selfish of them

Fad will die pretty soon. Also since laws are catching up with a micro-trash and lootboxes, their profits will go down later even more. Its gona effect all the industry.
    2-4 years at least.
    If that time ever happens they will have even more money in the bank.

Fad will die pretty soon.
    Oh if that is like when WoW, Minecraft, LoL and CS had their "fads" die.... spoiler alert: they will still be making truck loads of money.

- - - Updated - - -

Yet another thing never seen before, a company wanting even more money =P
    Valve would never want to make "all the money"! Must be why they literally invented loot boxes and meanwhile this guy is shaming Epic for MTX in fortnite lmao.

As people try to get outraged about this, they usually have a constant stream of hypocrisy coming from their KBs.

Fad will die pretty soon. Also since laws are catching up with a micro-trash and lootboxes, their profits will go down later even more. Its gona effect all the industry.
    2-4 years at least.
    Laws are really only fight towards loot boxes. IIRC fortnite doesn't use overly predatory MTX policies, from the little bit I played they didn't have loot boxes at least.

You're never going to see a law that states that games can have ZERO mtx.

2-4 years at least.
    You would have a point if Fortnite had Lootbox's......

Guess what it doesn't, Fortnite will shutdown the same day WoW does.....
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    You would have a point if Fortnite had Lootbox's......

Guess what it doesn't, Fortnite will shutdown the same day WoW does.....
    Meanwhile he is mad that the games aren't on steam.

Ya know steam run by valve.

Valve being the first company to do loot boxes outside of mobile and facebook games. Basically making them the people that popularized the loot box model in in the core gaming field.

Didn't see his crusade in 2010 when Valve decided they wanted "all the money" and put mobile game mechanics into their B2P games. TF2 literally went f2p a year after loot boxes started and valve realized they where making ass loads of money and would make more off gullible customers.

This is the company this guy wants to buy his games from while claiming some higher moral stance lmao.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-05-19 at 02:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Keep on shilling for those CEO who don't give a single fuck about you, all they want is your money and have zero interest in anything but their profit margins and sating the greedy lust of investors.
    You really need a better argument than "corporate greed!" for why EGS is so bad when the option you have is a company that sticks loot boxes into their games too.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    You really need a better argument than "corporate greed!" for why EGS is so bad when the option you have is a company that sticks loot boxes into their games too.
    And don't forget the loot boxes on the profiles. Steam Trading cars are loot boxes for profiles even if it is only a few cents at a time. Though seeing as how they use them for all major sales it has to be a money maker or big draw for Steam.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Are we talking about the Valve who managed to get developers to use their DRM which doubled as a shop? The same Valve who provided the template for devs to charge for DLC and micro-transactions, and also had a loot-box system that allowed for genuine, bet-money-to-get-money gambling?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    And don't forget the loot boxes on the profiles. Steam Trading cars are loot boxes for profiles even if it is only a few cents at a time. Though seeing as how they use them for all major sales it has to be a money maker or big draw for Steam.
    I don't know anyone who plays the stupid Steam trading card thing. It just seemed like some trivial thing that they dropped in and I doubt it's paid off much for them.

I don't know anyone who plays the stupid Steam trading card thing. It just seemed like some trivial thing that they dropped in and I doubt it's paid off much for them.
    Don't know about that, they gives market stats on them and iirc there are tens of thousands of each card in the steam sales shifting hands each day. Significant because every single time they do valve takes their cut. Maybe it is not a big money maker but I doubt it costs them much to maintain.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

15+ Year Old Account
    Just look at https://steamcommunity.com/market/li...ding%20Card%29 which is just one card for The Witcher 3. Steam and the game developer gets a cut of each card sale. No it won't be the same as selling a game. But small change adds up when done at scale. It is just another way Valve monetizes steam to get a cut and it encourages people to buy the game or games during sales to trade more cards.

That doesn't even cover the "foil" cards that are more money. Selling a card for .10 requires a .2 fee. So you end up only earning .8 on the sale. It clearly doesn't take them much to make each card. And they can even require the developer to make the card (except for the steam sale cards of course).

https://steamcommunity.com/market/li...%20a%20Machine

That is from the sale in 2018. At its peak it has around 270 thousand or more (the top figure says 107 but is higher on the lifetime graph) With about 50 thousand each day until the end where it was still in the 30 thousand mark. I suck at math but that should be around $4,000 generated at just one day's peak. From a digital card that only represents a few pixels on your profile (it also gives you profile XP to level up)
    Last edited by rhorle; 2019-05-20 at 02:31 AM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Just look at https://steamcommunity.com/market/li...ding%20Card%29 which is just one card for The Witcher 3. Steam and the game developer gets a cut of each card sale. No it won't be the same as selling a game. But small change adds up when done at scale. It is just another way Valve monetizes steam to get a cut and it encourages people to buy the game or games during sales to trade more cards.

That doesn't even cover the "foil" cards that are more money. Selling a card for .10 requires a .2 fee. So you end up only earning .8 on the sale. It clearly doesn't take them much to make each card. And they can even require the developer to make the card (except for the steam sale cards of course).

https://steamcommunity.com/market/li...%20a%20Machine

That is from the sale in 2018. At its peak it has around 270 thousand or more (the top figure says 107 but is higher on the lifetime graph) With about 50 thousand each day until the end where it was still in the 30 thousand mark. I suck at math but that should be around $4,000 generated at just one day's peak. From a digital card that only represents a few pixels on your profile (it also gives you profile XP to level up)
    Why was the argument against steam trading cards used when it barely affects the average steam user that doesn't even know it's there?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    Why was the argument against steam trading cards used when it barely affects the average steam user that doesn't even know it's there?
    It illustrates how much bloated crap PC gamers have to deal with in a Steam dominated market.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    It illustrates how much bloated crap PC gamers have to deal with in a Steam dominated market.
    Oh the terror. Truly a darkest timeline.

Epic Games is an evil corporation.

At least Valve is upfront about their villainy.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    You mean a feature that helps generate revenue that isn't a massive cash grab and the majority of Steam users don't partake in? That's sooooo awful!

I hope you are aware that those cards are one of the big reasons that shovelware keeps flooding steam trough another I-totally-don't-want-all-the-money feature, Steam Direct. Also, that "majority" smells like kind of bullshit.

I highly recommend people to just stick with the basic ass features and aggressive tactics if you want to criticize Epic, because this "oh Epic just wants money!" is a hilariously poor way to go at it.
    I don't get the shovelware argument to be honest. I never see much at all of it. It's never on my front storepage and i will only see them if i go out of my way looking for those games.
    So whats the big problem with them?
    And how does Epic make this better? Because they only have like 20 games right now? In 5 years the store will be bloated, too like every other store. With good curation i don't see that as a problem, though.

You say despite their selling point to publishers being that they make less money per sale compare to their competitors. Despite the $500M grant they gave to software developers who aren't even required to work with Unreal.

At least be consistent with why Epic is some big, evil overlord.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayluck View Post
    Epic is great. I use it daily and have many Fortnite games with friends.

As for Rocket League. Super pumped for it coming to Epic.

- - - Updated - - -

Fortnite just hit 10 million concurrent players and 250 million accounts created 2 months ago and is still growing.

Sorry your hate for Epic isn't working buddy. Go be salty somewhere else.
    And wow hit 12 milion years ago. The numbers now are much lower.