Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ...
8
16
17
18
19
20
... LastLast
  1. #341
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Valve would never want to make "all the money"!
    C’mon, don’t be silly! Of course not, Valve cares about us, they couldn’t care less about “all the money”.

    It’s totally not the reason why they pretty much stopped developing video games, giving us only highly requested amazing experiences, long awaited by the fans, such as Hal…*cough*Artifact, which totally wasn’t a low effort cash grab that went terribly wrong, it’s not like they would ask players 10€ for access to features such as “avoid player” either…
    Pay-2-Win?

    ♩ ♪ Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy? Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality... ♫

  2. #342
    Elemental Lord zealo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    8,013
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Keep on shilling for those CEO who don't give a single fuck about you, all they want is your money and have zero interest in anything but their profit margins and sating the greedy lust of investors.
    You really need a better argument than "corporate greed!" for why EGS is so bad when the option you have is a company that sticks loot boxes into their games too.

  3. #343
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    You really need a better argument than "corporate greed!" for why EGS is so bad when the option you have is a company that sticks loot boxes into their games too.
    And don't forget the loot boxes on the profiles. Steam Trading cars are loot boxes for profiles even if it is only a few cents at a time. Though seeing as how they use them for all major sales it has to be a money maker or big draw for Steam.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  4. #344
    Are we talking about the Valve who managed to get developers to use their DRM which doubled as a shop? The same Valve who provided the template for devs to charge for DLC and micro-transactions, and also had a loot-box system that allowed for genuine, bet-money-to-get-money gambling?

  5. #345
    Titan
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    America's Hat
    Posts
    12,456
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    And don't forget the loot boxes on the profiles. Steam Trading cars are loot boxes for profiles even if it is only a few cents at a time. Though seeing as how they use them for all major sales it has to be a money maker or big draw for Steam.
    I don't know anyone who plays the stupid Steam trading card thing. It just seemed like some trivial thing that they dropped in and I doubt it's paid off much for them.

    Congrats to the 11 fools who made the ignore list, your ignorance knows no bounds, bravo!

  6. #346
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I don't know anyone who plays the stupid Steam trading card thing. It just seemed like some trivial thing that they dropped in and I doubt it's paid off much for them.
    Don't know about that, they gives market stats on them and iirc there are tens of thousands of each card in the steam sales shifting hands each day. Significant because every single time they do valve takes their cut. Maybe it is not a big money maker but I doubt it costs them much to maintain.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

  7. #347
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I don't know anyone who plays the stupid Steam trading card thing. It just seemed like some trivial thing that they dropped in and I doubt it's paid off much for them.
    Just look at https://steamcommunity.com/market/li...ding%20Card%29 which is just one card for The Witcher 3. Steam and the game developer gets a cut of each card sale. No it won't be the same as selling a game. But small change adds up when done at scale. It is just another way Valve monetizes steam to get a cut and it encourages people to buy the game or games during sales to trade more cards.

    That doesn't even cover the "foil" cards that are more money. Selling a card for .10 requires a .2 fee. So you end up only earning .8 on the sale. It clearly doesn't take them much to make each card. And they can even require the developer to make the card (except for the steam sale cards of course).

    https://steamcommunity.com/market/li...%20a%20Machine

    That is from the sale in 2018. At its peak it has around 270 thousand or more (the top figure says 107 but is higher on the lifetime graph) With about 50 thousand each day until the end where it was still in the 30 thousand mark. I suck at math but that should be around $4,000 generated at just one day's peak. From a digital card that only represents a few pixels on your profile (it also gives you profile XP to level up)
    Last edited by rhorle; 2019-05-20 at 02:31 AM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  8. #348
    Scarab Lord Mister Cheese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,624
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Just look at https://steamcommunity.com/market/li...ding%20Card%29 which is just one card for The Witcher 3. Steam and the game developer gets a cut of each card sale. No it won't be the same as selling a game. But small change adds up when done at scale. It is just another way Valve monetizes steam to get a cut and it encourages people to buy the game or games during sales to trade more cards.

    That doesn't even cover the "foil" cards that are more money. Selling a card for .10 requires a .2 fee. So you end up only earning .8 on the sale. It clearly doesn't take them much to make each card. And they can even require the developer to make the card (except for the steam sale cards of course).

    https://steamcommunity.com/market/li...%20a%20Machine

    That is from the sale in 2018. At its peak it has around 270 thousand or more (the top figure says 107 but is higher on the lifetime graph) With about 50 thousand each day until the end where it was still in the 30 thousand mark. I suck at math but that should be around $4,000 generated at just one day's peak. From a digital card that only represents a few pixels on your profile (it also gives you profile XP to level up)
    Why was the argument against steam trading cards used when it barely affects the average steam user that doesn't even know it's there?

  9. #349
    The Unstoppable Force PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Upside Down
    Posts
    20,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    Why was the argument against steam trading cards used when it barely affects the average steam user that doesn't even know it's there?
    It illustrates how much bloated crap PC gamers have to deal with in a Steam dominated market.

  10. #350
    The Unstoppable Force Arrashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Posts
    22,287
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    It illustrates how much bloated crap PC gamers have to deal with in a Steam dominated market.
    Oh the terror. Truly a darkest timeline.

  11. #351
    Epic Games is an evil corporation.

    At least Valve is upfront about their villainy.

  12. #352
    Titan
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    America's Hat
    Posts
    12,456
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    It illustrates how much bloated crap PC gamers have to deal with in a Steam dominated market.
    You mean a feature that helps generate revenue that isn't a massive cash grab and the majority of Steam users don't partake in? That's sooooo awful!


    Congrats to the 11 fools who made the ignore list, your ignorance knows no bounds, bravo!

  13. #353
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    You mean a feature that helps generate revenue that isn't a massive cash grab and the majority of Steam users don't partake in? That's sooooo awful!

    I hope you are aware that those cards are one of the big reasons that shovelware keeps flooding steam trough another I-totally-don't-want-all-the-money feature, Steam Direct. Also, that "majority" smells like kind of bullshit.

    I highly recommend people to just stick with the basic ass features and aggressive tactics if you want to criticize Epic, because this "oh Epic just wants money!" is a hilariously poor way to go at it.
    Last edited by Myobi; 2019-05-20 at 12:05 PM.
    Pay-2-Win?

    ♩ ♪ Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy? Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality... ♫

  14. #354
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    I hope you are aware that those cards are one of the big reasons that shovelware keeps flooding steam trough another I-totally-don't-want-all-the-money feature, Steam Direct. Also, that "majority" smells like kind of bullshit.

    I highly recommend people to just stick with the basic ass features and aggressive tactics if you want to criticize Epic, because this "oh Epic just wants money!" is a hilariously poor way to go at it.
    I don't get the shovelware argument to be honest. I never see much at all of it. It's never on my front storepage and i will only see them if i go out of my way looking for those games.
    So whats the big problem with them?
    And how does Epic make this better? Because they only have like 20 games right now? In 5 years the store will be bloated, too like every other store. With good curation i don't see that as a problem, though.

  15. #355
    Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    I don't get the shovelware argument to be honest. I never see much at all of it. It's never on my front storepage and i will only see them if i go out of my way looking for those games.
    So whats the big problem with them?
    And how does Epic make this better? Because they only have like 20 games right now? In 5 years the store will be bloated, too like every other store. With good curation i don't see that as a problem, though.
    It doesn’t, that has never been my point.

    My point is that as far as the “they want all the money!” goes, Steam is no fucking better.

    Also, just because you don’t see it, or don’t care about it, doesn’t mean the problem isn’t there.


    Edited: Oh hang on..."With good curation i don't see that as a problem, though.", so we do agree that the lack of curation is a problem then, right?
    Last edited by Myobi; 2019-05-20 at 01:30 PM.
    Pay-2-Win?

    ♩ ♪ Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy? Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality... ♫

  16. #356
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    And this is the reason why they made a store. Less money is not good enogh ... gota get ALL THE MONEY:
    You say despite their selling point to publishers being that they make less money per sale compare to their competitors. Despite the $500M grant they gave to software developers who aren't even required to work with Unreal.

    At least be consistent with why Epic is some big, evil overlord.

  17. #357
    Over 9000! Yunru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Continent of Orsterra
    Posts
    9,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayluck View Post
    Epic is great. I use it daily and have many Fortnite games with friends.

    As for Rocket League. Super pumped for it coming to Epic.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Fortnite just hit 10 million concurrent players and 250 million accounts created 2 months ago and is still growing.

    Sorry your hate for Epic isn't working buddy. Go be salty somewhere else.
    And wow hit 12 milion years ago. The numbers now are much lower.

  18. #358
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    And wow hit 12 milion years ago. The numbers now are much lower.
    Yes, and? 12 million subscribers =|= 10 million concurrent players (i.e. playing all at the same time).

    Games grow, peek, and then contract. It's the life cycle of all games, so I'm not sure what this statement shows other than games aren't sitting on top of the world forever.

    Which is kinda...duh. But Fortnite is still growing at the moment and doesn't look to have peeked yet.

  19. #359
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    Why was the argument against steam trading cards used when it barely affects the average steam user that doesn't even know it's there?
    I am pretty sure most steam users know it is there. When they buy a game during a sale they get a card in their inventory. They are promoted as a major feature of sales through the steam aspects. The average user probably doesn't care about buying or selling the cards though. Steam has gone out of its way to make sure a person is aware of them during every major steam sale. You get one per purchase, you get one daily for going through a suggestion queue, you get one for every $10 spent ( I think that is it). You get stuff for doing their games and side stuff. You get the notifications that you have "new loot".

    Steam tries anything it can to get people involved in the system. Like I said it doesn't generate much but it generates enough given the costs associated with creating a small digital card. So Valve and Steam are not immune to being greedy and trying to monetize any aspect they can. They are after all a corporation.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  20. #360
    Titan
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    America's Hat
    Posts
    12,456
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    I am pretty sure most steam users know it is there. When they buy a game during a sale they get a card in their inventory. They are promoted as a major feature of sales through the steam aspects. The average user probably doesn't care about buying or selling the cards though. Steam has gone out of its way to make sure a person is aware of them during every major steam sale. You get one per purchase, you get one daily for going through a suggestion queue, you get one for every $10 spent ( I think that is it). You get stuff for doing their games and side stuff. You get the notifications that you have "new loot".

    Steam tries anything it can to get people involved in the system. Like I said it doesn't generate much but it generates enough given the costs associated with creating a small digital card. So Valve and Steam are not immune to being greedy and trying to monetize any aspect they can. They are after all a corporation.
    I don't buy enough games on sale to ever get many of them, so the cards are kinda pointless to me.

    Congrats to the 11 fools who made the ignore list, your ignorance knows no bounds, bravo!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •