Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    And wow hit 12 milion years ago. The numbers now are much lower.
    Yes, and? 12 million subscribers =|= 10 million concurrent players (i.e. playing all at the same time).

Games grow, peek, and then contract. It's the life cycle of all games, so I'm not sure what this statement shows other than games aren't sitting on top of the world forever.

Which is kinda...duh. But Fortnite is still growing at the moment and doesn't look to have peeked yet.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    Why was the argument against steam trading cards used when it barely affects the average steam user that doesn't even know it's there?
    I am pretty sure most steam users know it is there. When they buy a game during a sale they get a card in their inventory. They are promoted as a major feature of sales through the steam aspects. The average user probably doesn't care about buying or selling the cards though. Steam has gone out of its way to make sure a person is aware of them during every major steam sale. You get one per purchase, you get one daily for going through a suggestion queue, you get one for every $10 spent ( I think that is it). You get stuff for doing their games and side stuff. You get the notifications that you have "new loot".

Steam tries anything it can to get people involved in the system. Like I said it doesn't generate much but it generates enough given the costs associated with creating a small digital card. So Valve and Steam are not immune to being greedy and trying to monetize any aspect they can. They are after all a corporation.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    I am pretty sure most steam users know it is there. When they buy a game during a sale they get a card in their inventory. They are promoted as a major feature of sales through the steam aspects. The average user probably doesn't care about buying or selling the cards though. Steam has gone out of its way to make sure a person is aware of them during every major steam sale. You get one per purchase, you get one daily for going through a suggestion queue, you get one for every $10 spent ( I think that is it). You get stuff for doing their games and side stuff. You get the notifications that you have "new loot".

Steam tries anything it can to get people involved in the system. Like I said it doesn't generate much but it generates enough given the costs associated with creating a small digital card. So Valve and Steam are not immune to being greedy and trying to monetize any aspect they can. They are after all a corporation.
    I don't buy enough games on sale to ever get many of them, so the cards are kinda pointless to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    I love how Steam has been hammered by criticism trough out the years, to suddenly something new to pop-up, automatically becoming the platform that cares about the users!
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...buse-features/

SO MUCH that they're selling the ability to avoid other players in DOTA 2 rather than provide it to everyone as a QoL patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...buse-features/

SO MUCH that they're selling the ability to avoid other players in DOTA 2 rather than provide it to everyone as a QoL patch.
    From what I've seen from comments on other site, it's just experimental feature right now and that's why it's available only to pass users, it'll be added for everyone once the tests confirm it doesn't harm matchmaking.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    From what I've seen from comments on other site, it's just experimental feature right now and that's why it's available only to pass users, it'll be added for everyone once the tests confirm it doesn't harm matchmaking.
    So it's paid "early access" to the feature : P

Rather than, you know, just doing a limited rollout to test it without people needing to pay for it. Mind you, I don't find this super objectionable or offensive. Instead I simply find it amusing and an interesting facet of this "good guy valve" vs. "bad guy epic" discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    So it's paid "early access" to the feature : P

Rather than, you know, just doing a limited rollout to test it without people needing to pay for it. Mind you, I don't find this super objectionable or offensive. Instead I simply find it amusing and an interesting facet of this "good guy valve" vs. "bad guy epic" discussion.
    I mean, DOTA2 has been around for several years and I believe most of the playerbase either have learned to tolerate toxic assholes or are toxic assholes themselves, so buying sub specfically for this feature doesnt'n seem that enticing. At most it's adding more value to subscription temporarily.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

10+ Year Old Account
    Free game on Steam

https://store.steampowered.com/app/7...clanid=6250352

I guess that means Steam isn't doing so well financially

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Free game on Steam

https://store.steampowered.com/app/7...clanid=6250352

You mean a crappy game developed by and published by the same person?

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Yeah, they dipped in 2017 and with all the big publishers starting up their own stores and so on it was bound to leave a mark.

Then 2018 was their best year ever. Lets hear it for OVER 9000 games added to steam last year.(Seriously, what are these games?)
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Yeah, they dipped in 2017 and with all the big publishers starting up their own stores and so on it was bound to leave a mark.

Then 2018 was their best year ever. Lets hear it for OVER 9000 games added to steam last year.(Seriously, what are these games?)
    I was being a bit sarcastic based on arguments people use when Epic gives games away.

10+ Year Old Account
    So the majority of Metro Exodus' sales were made on console. THQ nordic doesn't want to talk about the sales on PC though. Probably because they were "below expectations".

https://www.vg247.com/2019/05/23/met...y-on-consoles/

Later in the call, an investor asked Wingefors if THQ Nordic is happy with Exodus’ sales on the EGS at the start of the year. He instead turned the answer into one about all digital platforms, which he already said was satisfactory.
    Deflecting and ignoring the question. Always a good sign.

I'd like to clarify something to all the posters in this thread. Rhorle, PACOX and Edge in particular. Nobody has an issue with Epic coming along and trying to be a competitor to Steam. At least I don't. However the way they are going about it is absolutely authoritarian, and completely asinine. Buying games up and telling people to deal with it this is how it's going to be. PC is a booming market right now because of how easy it is to build a rig and how cheap it is; and they are doing all in their power to somehow fuck that up and make less money than they would normally. Causing controversy after controversy. Their baffling decisions have driven at least 2 publishers away during their first big sale which had its own issues. Their store is over a decade behind in the way it's designed.

The developers are just as complicit at this point. They probably see now that they would have made just as much money if not more if they had just launched on both Steam and Epic in the first place instead of taking Epic's exclusive deal.

What is Steam doing? Well nothing. They don't have to do anything. Epic is shooting themselves in the foot. The worst thing that happens to Steam is that a bad game like Rape Day or Hatred gets on the platform under Gaben's nose. People can call Valve lazy but their Storefront is the most functional, user friendly, and has the most features. If Epic had launched their store as a Carbon copy of Steam the story would be much different.

As Sweeney said "Developers Will Decide Who Wins The Game Store Wars, Not Consumers." We will see what happens.

10+ Year Old Account
    So the majority of Metro Exodus' sales were made on console. THQ nordic doesn't want to talk about the sales on PC though. Probably because they were "below expectations".

https://www.vg247.com/2019/05/23/met...y-on-consoles/

Deflecting and ignoring the question. Always a good sign.

I'd like to clarify something to all the posters in this thread. Rhorle, PACOX and Edge in particular. Nobody has an issue with Epic coming along and trying to be a competitor to Steam. At least I don't. However the way they are going about it is absolutely authoritarian, and completely asinine. Buying games up and telling people to deal with it this is how it's going to be. PC is a booming market right now because of how easy it is to build a rig and how cheap it is; and they are doing all in their power to somehow fuck that up and make less money than they would normally. Causing controversy after controversy. Their baffling decisions have driven at least 2 publishers away during their first big sale which had its own issues. Their store is over a decade behind in the way it's designed.

The developers are just as complicit at this point. They probably see now that they would have made just as much money if not more if they had just launched on both Steam and Epic in the first place instead of taking Epic's exclusive deal.

What is Steam doing? Well nothing. They don't have to do anything. Epic is shooting themselves in the foot. The worst thing that happens to Steam is that a bad game like Rape Day or Hatred gets on the platform under Gaben's nose. People can call Valve lazy but their Storefront is the most functional, user friendly, and has the most features. If Epic had launched their store as a Carbon copy of Steam the story would be much different.

As Sweeney said "Developers Will Decide Who Wins The Game Store Wars, Not Consumers." We will see what happens.
    You say Epic isn't giving people a choice but that's disengenous.

Let's say Epic doesn't exist for a moment. What choice does the majority of the market, be it from the view of the consumer and dev, have but to go to Steam? That's without any incentives to go to Steam expect you screwed if you don't. If youre an in house dev for EA, Ubisoft, Bethesda, Blizzard/Activision, you're screwed. You put up with Valve on Valves terms or your don't play.

Your other storefronts independent of Steam are what? GoG and Discord. The former is niche towards older games and grand RPG/strategy games. It will always sit in its niche (which is fine) because of their stance on DRM over there. You don't even have to use their software. Discord's store is a bit of a side hustle that's best used if you subscribe to it vs purchasing games individually.

Everyone else in the PC world still relies on Steam even if they are just selling Steam keys.

Epic doesn't 'buy' games, it cuts deals with devs. It's gives devs options that Valve would never give them. It's the first service in a while thats actually giving 3rd parties the option to not have to settle for whatever Valve offers them.

I get why people don't want a competitor, they don't want to split up their library or not risk their games not being hosted should Epic's store goes bust. But be truthful in the arguments. Hell I would take people saying they are just Valve/Steam loyalists over some of the ridiculous copy and pastes arguments I've seen.

Epic being a carbon copy of Steam would be lame and their road to ruin. Why go to Epic is Steam has the same thing and most of games are already over there?

What I really want to see is a vendor (not going to happen for many reasons) that will honor keys from competitors, that's launcher agnostic. Something like what GoG wants to do with its new client. I also hope competition drives Valve to improve/change its own practices. It's been complacent for a long time.

15+ Year Old Account
    Nobody has an issue with Epic coming along and trying to be a competitor to Steam. At least I don't.
    The very first post, which you made, in this thread is about you taking issue with them competing with steam. Because they bought the developer of a game that will now no longer be on steam and instead be on the publishers own store front. That is no different then EA acquiring a studio and saying their games will now be available on Origin only. Which EA did pull games from steam for origin.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    The very first post, which you made, in this thread is about you taking issue with them competing with steam. Because they bought the developer of a game that will now no longer be on steam and instead be on the publishers own store front. That is no different then EA acquiring a studio and saying their games will now be available on Origin only. Which EA did pull games from steam for origin.
    Because they're not competing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Because they're not competing.
    One of the best ways to compete with someone else is to increase your first party portfolio. Its why Valve got ownership of Dota 2.

Also you labeled them a competitor yourself why the back track?

Nobody has an issue with Epic coming along and trying to be a competitor to Steam. At least I don't.
    It's 2019 and Epic is trying to force it's way in as a competitor of steam with none of the basic features that steam has. Reviews. Forums. A fucking shopping cart. Do you really not understand why people are upset?
    Last edited by rhorle; 2019-05-23 at 10:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say Epic is a bit full of shit(Not talking about what they offer just what they say). They do need to do more to their store. On the other side, Steam needs to actually increase the bar to go on Steam just a little cause it seems lately indies have a hard time there nowadays.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    https://www.rocketleague.com/news/ps...-epic-family-/

So not only are they going after games that aren't out yet. They will outright buy games off steam for their store. This isn't competition. This is strong arming.
    Sooo... did they/are they taking it down off of Steam?

10+ Year Old Account
    One of the best ways to compete with someone else is to increase your first party portfolio. Its why Valve got ownership of Dota 2.

Also you labeled them a competitor yourself why the back track?
    Yeah, TRYING. Next time you're gonna cut out quotes and bold shit to try to make it look like I'm saying something else try harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    They are, just not in a way you would like them to.
    Neither do a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Sooo... did they/are they taking it down off of Steam?
    Until late 2019 it will be on Steam. After that it will be Epic Exclusive. They're not going to let it sit there and have Valve take a cut when they've bought the Studio.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, TRYING. Next time you're gonna cut out quotes and bold shit to try to make it look like I'm saying something else try harder.
    So you were trying to say they are not competing by saying they are trying to compete? I didn't have to twist or cut anything out. You even said earlier in the thread they were trying to force their way in as a competitor. Which apparently you lied then because they are not competing. Out of all the issues with EGS you choose to stick to a bad lie. Why?