Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post
    The epic store controversy is one of the most nonsensical controversies that I have ever seen.
    It's actually embarrassing how blown up this whole thing with Epic has become, imo.

I'm finding it really hard to relate to fellow gamers, lately. The community is so unbelievably negative about everything.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Wasn’t a fan of exclusiveness when it was new names buying old games makes me dislike it even more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, not seeing the big deal with this one tbh, plus it'll be available and updated on Steam still.

Unless Epic gets Japanese game exclusives that I care about, I won't be using it.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    It's actually embarrassing how blown up this whole thing with Epic has become, imo.

I'm finding it really hard to relate to fellow gamers, lately. The community is so unbelievably negative about everything.
    For me personally I don't trust epic from my experiences with them.

Their customer service for Fortnite was/is shit and they even originally lied to me and said it was my fault(then Microsoft's) that my account was hacked and it took months for them to even respond to me. At the time I don't even think they had an automated password recovery. I contacted Microsoft about it as well and they got back within minutes and showed me that luckily my xbox account was never accessed by anyone other than myself only my epic games account was accessed. When I eventually did get my account back they didn't even refund any of my vbucks I purchased or anything. I've had champions online give me free premium currency when I had a complaint about an item and have never had any problems with any other customer service before.

Not only that but as soon as the fortnite battle royale began picking up steam they slowed down on the content for save the world. Why should I trust them to stick with their game store if they find an easier way to grab cash?

And finally they pushed out a half assed store and pulled an Anthem when they easily could have waited a couple months before it was more developed. Then claimed their exclusives are to help prompt competition for steam and help consumers as well as developers and yet by trying to force steam to its price point it leaves no room for smaller launchers to be able to start up and or survive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    And spying? Not any more than any of the hundreds of other companies that monitor activities you agree to even when not using their products.
    Are those hundreds of other companies also subject to the CPC? It isn't the spying I particularly object to, it is who is doing the spying that I object to. On the list of governments I don't want spying on me, China's is right at the top of the list next to Russia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    Then claimed their exclusives are to help prompt competition for steam and help consumers as well as developers and yet by trying to force steam to its price point it leaves no room for smaller launchers to be able to start up and or survive.
    And? Forcing the current top platform to change is helping everyone in the end. It is the nature of business. I take it you've never read how Walmart upset sears, and then Amazon upset the book industry, and how now Walmart and Amazon are forcing the entire retail industry to adapt. There is still room for any developer to create their own launcher. There is no real reason for indie or small developers to create their own launcher. Allowing them the choice between others is a good thing.

This happens all the time in all sorts of industries. There really is no reason for smaller launchers to start up or survive unless they are a powerhouse like Epic became (Or Blizzard etc). But Epic is a tale of how these things begin. A relatively small launcher grows into a massive storefront over time. You do know how steam and Valve got started right?
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    You do know how steam and Valve got started right?
    They were pioneers in 2004, Epic comes to saturated market in 2019. When you buy a car, you expect it to have 4 wheels, engine that works on gasoline, steering wheel, vehicle horn, SRS and many other improvements compared to early models, but with EGS you get something straight out of XIX century.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    They were pioneers in 2004, Epic comes to saturated market in 2019. When you buy a car, you expect it to have 4 wheels, engine that works on gasoline, steering wheel, vehicle horn, SRS and many other improvements compared to early models, but with EGS you get something straight out of XIX century.
    You do know that new car buying methods spring up all the time right? Have you checked out the mattress industry lately? Start ups have taken over with a different business model. Valve used their success at the time to grow their platform. Epic is doing the same. Why is Epic bad because they are trying to take a share from steam? The EGS has 4 wheels and all the car parts. And it is hardly 19th century (though wanting something to have a gas engine is sort of "last century" so your metaphor is flawed to begin with)

Everything starts somewhere. It isn't that bad. It isn't like Steam is sleek and modern which makes your complaint even stranger.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

All of the "controversy" I've seen about this seems like people just being mad that Steam is eventually going to get whittled down. It's a pain to not be able to get everything on one platform but it was bound to happen, just like it happened with streaming services. Can't expect businesses to not try to get a piece of the pie.

You do know that new car buying methods spring up all the time right? Have you checked out the mattress industry lately? Start ups have taken over with a different business model. Valve used their success at the time to grow their platform. Epic is doing the same. Why is Epic bad because they are trying to take a share from steam? The EGS has 4 wheels and all the car parts. And it is hardly 19th century (though wanting something to have a gas engine is sort of "last century" so your metaphor is flawed to begin with)

Everything starts somewhere. It isn't that bad. It isn't like Steam is sleek and modern which makes your complaint even stranger.
    I've already said, it's not 2004 now, it's 2019. There are baseline features that EGS (that is literally site page with few banners with CDN links) doesn't have. I'd give you simpler example. Imagine new OS comes out that functionally is equal to DOS in 1983 or Linux in 1991. Imagine they buy out Photoshop and 3D Max exclusivity and say "it's just another partition, don't you guys have HDDs?". Is it good for anyone?
    Looking for Raid.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is nowhere said, that Rocket League will become EGS exclusive right now. But chances are high for it, and they will piss off many people. I've heard even that if this will happend, streamers will leave game and look for other games.

But yep i agree. Valve need start to do something, or we will got new steam but which is steam for lower class. I mean here missing features etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    So this is a, "They're not bad now, despite what I thought, but they will be. Don't you worry, they'll turn bad one of these days and you'll be sorry while I laugh!" argument?

Because it's a pretty fucking terrible argument to fall back on.
    The good thing is we aren't in court. We are just dealing with the reality of the situation. No burden of proof needed. Merely dealing with it.

Epic is working really hard to become the most hated evil guy in gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Epic is working really hard to become the most hated evil guy in gaming.
    Ummmm they are not even close.

EA and WB have them beat by miles, Like usual this is a small part of the gaming community just overacting like normal.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Doesnt the game have fan made content on steam? What happens to that?

Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    Doesnt the game have fan made content on steam? What happens to that?
    I just think this whole situation we are heading towards is untenable. Crap like this is going to bring and end to an "age" of pc gaming freedom. Steam was bad enough but they sort of have it sorted out. Now we are going to have multiple platforms to content with. Maybe just go with GoG, at least their games are standalone with the launcher just mostly as a library and an update mechanism.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    I've already said, it's not 2004 now, it's 2019. There are baseline features that EGS (that is literally site page with few banners with CDN links) doesn't have. I'd give you simpler example. Imagine new OS comes out that functionally is equal to DOS in 1983 or Linux in 1991. Imagine they buy out Photoshop and 3D Max exclusivity and say "it's just another partition, don't you guys have HDDs?". Is it good for anyone?
    That is still a flawed example. The EGS store is like any other digital storefront now a days. It isn't something that is out dated and old. Is it the perfect gaming platform currently? No. EGC is in no way shape or form a 2004 store. You clearly weren't even old enough to use the internet if you honestly believe that.

It's like they want to make money... Christ, you guys are worse than hippies.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    I just think this whole situation we are heading towards is untenable. Crap like this is going to bring and end to an "age" of pc gaming freedom. Steam was bad enough but they sort of have it sorted out. Now we are going to have multiple platforms to content with. Maybe just go with GoG, at least their games are standalone with the launcher just mostly as a library and an update mechanism.

It was hardly an age of freedom. You either used the companies launcher or you used steam. Or you had to use both in the case of Uplay. You just bought a steam key from a different store. That isn't really freedom. This is just another step along the path. Gaming won't be "Free" until there is a universal achievement/profile/tracking systems. Then you can play whatever anywhere and not feel like you need to play it on X so you get Y in your profile. I wish Microsoft would have tried got developers to sign on to a Xbox/windows system.

That is still a flawed example. The EGS store is like any other digital storefront now a days. It isn't something that is out dated and old. Is it the perfect gaming platform currently? No. EGC is in no way shape or form a 2004 store. You clearly weren't even old enough to use the internet if you honestly believe that.
    It literally has main page, game download and friend list, nothing else. Maybe you'll point out some differences?

Looking for Raid.