1. #1

    Sony is going to use Microsoft's Azure platform to support it's next gen streaming



    Link the press release -
    https://news.microsoft.com/2019/05/1...c-partnership/


    This is something I did not see coming. I would have bet they were going to use AWS instead as it'd help out Microsoft by using Azure.

    Either way Microsoft wins in this scenario.

  2. #2
    What a terrible clickbait video title.

    All of Sony's services will move to Azure, nothing is moving to "xcloud". PS Now will still be PS Now, it's not going to magically turn into gamepass or "xcloud" because they move it to azure servers.

    Not to mention it's a partnership between both companies, they both win. Sony gets access to use azure servers, likely at a heavily discounted price and MS gets access to Sony's patents of which they have a lot of especially in the cloud gaming spectrum.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    What a terrible clickbait video title.

    All of Sony's services will move to Azure, nothing is moving to "xcloud". PS Now will still be PS Now, it's not going to magically turn into gamepass or "xcloud" because they move it to azure servers.

    Not to mention it's a partnership between both companies, they both win. Sony gets access to use azure servers, likely at a heavily discounted price and MS gets access to Sony's patents of which they have a lot of especially in the cloud gaming spectrum.
    Obviously it will still be PSNow... It's literally a video title. It doesn't change the contents of the video or the fact that Sony could have gone to AWS. That's the shock.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    Obviously it will still be PSNow... It's literally a video title. It doesn't change the contents of the video or the fact that Sony could have gone to AWS. That's the shock.
    How is it a "shock"? Obviously the partnership with MS was a better deal. It's not a "shock" at all and this is a partnership between Sony and Microsoft not between Xbox Game Studios and Sony Interactive Entertainment. MS and Sony are not competitors just because 2 of their brands happen to be. Especially in the case of MS where the Xbox brand is barely a foot note on their business model. Sony is mostly an entertainment focused company now, and MS is still mostly focused on tech. Stop looking at it from your gamer bubble and instead from the perspective of both companies as a whole.

    Also the video is shit, it literally says "Sony is moving to Xcloud". Xcloud is the code name of the Xbox Game Pass streaming service. Sony has absolutely jack shit to do with Xcloud.

  5. #5
    Moderator Remilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Avatar: Tsunako
    Posts
    14,886
    Yeah that's just... click bait.

    https://news.microsoft.com/2019/05/1...c-partnership/
    Can people stop getting their information from videos? It's really just bad. Just read that, it's a short read and easy to understand. It's like a minute or two read.

    It's not like AWS will always be the best use case for any datacenters. Azure for example has better hybrid (on site and off site) server integration.
    Semiconductor development along with better processing would definitely benefit Sony for their camera sensor development, I'd presume they'd want to stay as the best in that field or branch out, and Microsoft could benefit from some of Sony's IP I presume. Hell if I know what they're planning all in all but it seems like a mutually beneficial partnership.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2019-05-16 at 07:39 PM.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Yeah that's just... click bait.

    https://news.microsoft.com/2019/05/1...c-partnership/
    Can people stop getting their information from videos? It's really just bad. Just read that, it's a short read and easy to understand. It's like a minute or two read.

    It's not like AWS will always be the best use case for any datacenters. Azure for example has better hybrid (on site and off site) server integration.
    Semiconductor development along with better processing would definitely benefit Sony for their camera sensor development, I'd presume they'd want to stay as the best in that field or branch out.
    I linked the actual press release... The title of the video does not change the content of the video. It's still accurate.

    The partnership makes sense, it's just none of the Microsoft watchers - Paul Thurrott, Brad Sams, Mary Joe Foley, Tom Warren, Windows Central, Peter Bright, etc.. thought they'd do it. The assumption was that they were going with AWS and this was the big question left in Sony's strategy

  7. #7
    Moderator Remilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Avatar: Tsunako
    Posts
    14,886
    Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    I linked the actual press release... The title of the video does not change the content of the video. It's still accurate.

    The partnership makes sense, it's just none of the Microsoft watchers - Paul Thurrott, Brad Sams, Mary Joe Foley, Tom Warren, Windows Central, Peter Bright, etc.. thought they'd do it. The assumption was that they were going with AWS and this was the big question left in Sony's strategy
    The title of the video is still click bait and not going to click that. I don't need someone to explain something to me I can read in 1 minute. I don't get why people need to be spoon fed for something this simple. I'm not going encourage that kind of shifty practice.

  8. #8
    I get good internet service, but, still if dips occasionally.

    I totally fail to see this dream Microsoft has.

    If I can only get 99% quality streaming, I'd rather just pay more and have a home console to play locally, with .. you know, 100% streaming from my console to my TV.

    PS5 looking good. Rumors of a Nintendo Switch Pro+ look good too.

    Microsoft XBox isn't very appealing. Plus you pay for the stream service anyways .. may as well just buy / download the game from their competitors, and play locally, uninterrupted.
    Last edited by Vineri; 2019-05-27 at 07:25 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •