Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    If they are solely on the Steam platform then they are exclusive to steam. You don't have to sign a contract to be exclusive if there is no where else to go.
    And yet Epic are doing the exact same thing by limiting peoples choice on where they buy their game for up to 12 months or so.. Yes Steam needed competition but the way Epic are going about it, is not the way to go all you do is create animosity in the PC gaming arena..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Right because Developers don't release games publishers do.........
    The proper way would be what Paradox have done with their upcoming game VtM: BL2 and have it release on four distribution platforms.. Heck even though the publisher for Outerworlds did the dirty with steam one can still get it from the Microsoft store..

Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    The proper way would be what Paradox have done with their upcoming game VtM: BL2 and have it release on four distribution platforms.. Heck even though the publisher for Outerworlds did the dirty with steam one can still get it from the Microsoft store..
    And you can still go buy BL3 and Rocket League on PS4/XB1 (and Switch for RL). Welcome to how all markets actually work, exclusives are the core of competition.

Only way someone could come in to be competition for steam was to throw cash around.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    And you can still go buy BL3 and Rocket League on PS4/XB1 (and Switch for RL). Welcome to how all markets actually work, exclusives are the core of competition.

Only way someone could come in to be competition for steam was to throw cash around.
    Maybe so, but it still breeds a lot of discontent by forcing a persons choice if they want the game early to a platform that they may not like.. A lot of the animosity against Epic is how the most anticipated games of this year (Metro Exodus) that were advertising to be available on Steam suddenly did a switcheroo just before being released..

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Competition leads to innovation. Epic isn't competing, since they're not offering the same games. If Epic came along with their 12% split and didn't buy exclusivity from games, it would be competition. The old platform with a lot of users baked in, or the new one with better revenue split. As it stands you either buy from steam, or you buy another game from Epic, you don't ever have the choice of picking between them (From a major game, some indies might)

I'm not really mad, just disappointed after they said (multiple times) that they want to get out of the exclusivity market that they continue grabbing exclusives.
    Problem is steam is so big that without grabbing exclusives you're not ever going to be able to compete. People are generally set in their ways and don't change where they shop unless forced to.

Most of steams users I wouldn't be surprised came from when you started to need steam to run the game even if you bought disk version.

Maybe so, but it still breeds a lot of discontent by forcing a persons choice if they want the game early to a platform that they may not like.. A lot of the animosity against Epic is how the most anticipated games of this year (Metro Exodus) that were advertising to be available on Steam suddenly did a switcheroo just before being released..
    And yet that game still sold way more on EGS then the first two of its series did on Steam combined. Its the loud minority that gives a shit but like I said its a minority.

Steam has been the main place to buy PC games for over a decade, Just having a better working store wouldn't be enough to get people to switch over.

Exclusives breed competition, doesn't matter if its exclusive games or features.

Was how Metro was handled shitty? Yes but it still worked. With BL3 and Outer Worlds you know well in advance.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2019-05-07 at 05:57 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

15+ Year Old Account
    The best part about being a weeb is i dont give a single shit what western game go where cause i have less than 0 interest in them. Awwwww yeeeeee

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    And yet that game still sold way more on EGS then the first two of its series did on Steam combined. Its the loud minority that gives a shit but like I said its a minority.

Steam has been the main place to buy PC games for over a decade, Just having a better working store wouldn't be enough to get people to switch over.

Exclusives breed competition, doesn't matter if its exclusive games or features.

Was how Metro was handled shitty? Yes but it still worked. With BL3 and Outer Worlds you know well in advance.
    Will just have to wait and see, Outerworlds I may get when it gets set free (in no rush got so many games I hardly play anyway) or just get it from the MS Store, as for BL3 well not even sure about that one, but again in no rush to get it either..

5+ Year Old Account
    Where your bleeding heart liberalism meets reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    The best part about being a weeb is i dont give a single shit what western game go where cause i have less than 0 interest in them. Awwwww yeeeeee
    guess epic will buy your fav waifu sim studio next

or just get it from the MS Store
    I can't even buy anything from the MS store lol. Like I physically CAN'T, the store won't download anything to my computer it always fails not matter what fix i do

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    I can't even buy anything from the MS store lol. Like I physically CAN'T, the store won't download anything to my computer it always fails not matter what fix i do
    Yeah when things like that happen then it really is a pita.. Why having multiple platforms is better than one or two, for when things like that happen..

Long live Steam - a beacon of light in the digital content distribution market.

Death to Epic Games - the antithesis of integrity.

PS: Exclusives are pro-corporation and anti-consumer. Whether that be PlayStation 4 exclusives or Epic Games exclusives, the methodology is the same.
    Last edited by InTheEnd; 2019-05-07 at 07:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    A few years from now all in support on this will choke on their praises for this when they realize epic and swiney are just more of the same and maybe even worse when they turn into something like EA due to necessity of their shareholders.

What a big surprise that will be /s

Gamers are going to be shafted once again but what else is new eh 90's repeating themselves

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by InTheEnd View Post
    Long live Steam - a beacon of light in the digital content distribution market.

Death to Epic Games - the antithesis of integrity.

PS: Exclusives are pro-corporation and anti-consumer. Whether that be PlayStation 4 exclusives or Epic Games exclusives, the methodology is the same.
    And since the egs is about making corporations happy, it's no surprise they like exclusives.

I read on kotaku of an apri fool's joke about some1 announcing a launcher to launch different game launchers, think we're getting there and faster than expected too
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Donatello Trumpi View Post
    guess epic will buy your fav waifu sim studio next
    Yeah like epic can buy nintendo

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Yeah like epic can buy nintendo
    If fortnite stays that strong for some years more that could happen
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    Dont you fucking dare

15+ Year Old Account
    And yet Epic are doing the exact same thing by limiting peoples choice on where they buy their game for up to 12 months or so.. Yes Steam needed competition but the way Epic are going about it, is not the way to go all you do is create animosity in the PC gaming arena..
    But if it is acceptable now for games to only be on steam, origin, or Uplay (not sure if uplay has any exclusives since they play nice with steam still) why is it bad for there to now be exclusives on Epic. You and others are labeling it bad for the simple fact that Epic is new rather then one of the established stores that already do what you are hating on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    Nobody stops developers from releasing on different stores.
    Obviously there is a reason why every developer hasn't put their game on every digital distribution platform out there.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    If they are solely on the Steam platform then they are exclusive to steam. You don't have to sign a contract to be exclusive if there is no where else to go.
    Many games are only on Steam out of sheer convenience to the developers, otherwise they'd likely sell their games independently. What's the point in them selling a game online when they have ease of access to DRM protections and a stable vendor? Not to mention a game being sold on Steam doesn't make it exclusive to Steam outside of Valve's own IPs. It's also easier to pay someone else to maintain server infrastructure and all of the features that Steam has.

The only issues related to this I have are honestly more on the publishers than Epic. When a game, especially a kick starter game, says they'll be on steam but then backs away from being on Steam at release, I understand the frustration there. If you've announced you'll be on a platform, you ought to release on that platform along with the rest unless there's an actual reason, like say they need a little more time to work on a pc version port or something. I can totally get why people are upset over games saying they'll be on steam THEN swapping to Epic exclusive.

Epic exclusives however in general I have no issue with, and in the above issue, I blame the publishers/developers who took the deal more so than Epic themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post

Maybe if the Switch had bombed.