Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    But if it is acceptable now for games to only be on steam, origin, or Uplay (not sure if uplay has any exclusives since they play nice with steam still) why is it bad for there to now be exclusives on Epic. You and others are labeling it bad for the simple fact that Epic is new rather then one of the established stores that already do what you are hating on.
    I guess that you have forgotten the furor over Metro Exodus and how the publisher Deep Silver, decided 2 weeks before release to ditch Steam and instead do a 12 month exclusive with Epic.. Then there was the Phoenix Point drama as well..
    Last edited by grexly75; 2019-05-07 at 03:10 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by InTheEnd View Post
    PS: Exclusives are pro-corporation and anti-consumer. Whether that be PlayStation 4 exclusives or Epic Games exclusives, the methodology is the same.
    That really all depends. If Microsoft locks up a bunch of Exclusives that is pro-consumer if I own an Xbox. Because I get exclusive access to a bunch of stuff and it helps increase the value of my console purchase. Even for PC it isn't really anti-consumer unless it also drives up the price or limits the service that you get (dlc, patches, support). By keeping something off of steam all you lose out on are TCG, achievements, steam profile, and steam-only discounts/sales.

Also if you look at the split that Epic is giving vs Steam it shows that steam is pro-corporation. They want to make money. They have been pretty good about how they have used their power over the market and have been generally good with developers. But steam is still pro-corporation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    I guess that you have forgotten the furor over Metro Exodus and how the publisher Deep Silver, decided 2 weeks before release to decided to ditch Steam and instead do a 12 month exclusive with Epic.. Then there was the Phoenix Point drama as well..
    And? Saying that a company isn't bad for having exclusives isn't the same as saying all deals they make are automatically good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Many games are only on Steam out of sheer convenience to the developers, otherwise they'd likely sell their games independently. What's the point in them selling a game online when they have ease of access to DRM protections and a stable vendor? Not to mention a game being sold on Steam doesn't make it exclusive to Steam outside of Valve's own IPs. It's also easier to pay someone else to maintain server infrastructure and all of the features that Steam has.
    Right I get all of that. Steam doesn't have to sign deals for exclusivity because they are the only real option. Epic needs to sign deals because they need to attract both developers and users to their platform.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    And? Saying that a company isn't bad for having exclusives isn't the same as saying all deals they make are automatically good.
    Will give you that then, will say that it is the what for a better word is underhanded practices of the publishers.. Not sure why they can't do like Obisidian with having Outerworlds on the Microsoft Store but that is of course that they are a part of Microsoft anyway.. Maybe more how Paradox are releasing VtM: Bloodlines 2 on four distribution platforms..

Still annoying as all hell to say your game is coming out on one platform only to reneg at the last minute and release it on another..

Patiently waiting for an EPIC FAIL
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Right I get all of that. Steam doesn't have to sign deals for exclusivity because they are the only real option. Epic needs to sign deals because they need to attract both developers and users to their platform.
    Or, you know, release a superior product with better services than the company they are trying to compete with. You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. But I guess trying to beat Valve at their own game is hard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grexly75 View Post
    Still annoying as all hell to say your game is coming out on one platform only to reneg at the last minute and release it on another..
    It certainly is. I wonder what sort of arraignment Ubisoft has with Steam. They require you to use uplay even when launching the game from steam. I would be curious to know if they have a different split or something. Epic should at least do that for the titles that said they would be on X platform.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

But hey keep telling yourself that exclusives are bad. Keep telling yourself that PC is even. Keep telling yourself that exclusives just piss people off. All the while using steam which sells exclusives, which forces you to use steam games if you want certain features of steam. Which doesn't need to sign developers when they are the only real option.
    A quick google search will tell you that a great many people are pissed off about this exclusive. Try not to be so obtuse.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    A quick google search will tell you that a great many people are pissed off about this exclusive. Try not to be so obtuse.
    Just because many people think a certain way does not make them automatically right. It isn't the exclusive that is pissing people off. If Borderlands announced they would be a steam exclusive a lot of these people wouldn't care because they already don't care about all of the titles that can only be had on steam. You certainly wouldn't care because you are fine with steam currently which has exclusives.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FaceYourself View Post
    Epic Games Store isn't thaaaaaat bad.

It's too easy for people to get pulled into hate-bandwagons nowadays.
    I am against anything that removes games from steam. It is just too convenient, I will not use another launcher with all of my library and achievements already. Epic may be good in the extremely long run for the next gen but for now it's shit and doesn't compare to steam in functionality in the least. I only play a single companies games outside of steam and that's Blizzard, which I grew up with and already had loyalty to. I only play Hots but still. Epic is just a tiny insignificant beta male compared to alpha big dick steamboi

And common sense would tell you its only a loud minority like usual.

Just like it was with Metro, Outer Worlds and every other exclusive they have done.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

If a quick google search proves it then prove the numbers. How many people actually give a shit? Got any real numbers or is just typical anecdotal BS stats?

I can't believe it's 2019 on the internet and people still don't realize people are far more likely to be vocal about something when they're mad about it then when they simply don't care. Hell people are more likely to be vocal when they're mad then happy even let alone when they literally don't give a shit. Hence almost all the negative shit you see on the internet in the video game industry is literally always a vocal minority echo chamber screaming dumb shit like "anti consumer!".

Metro sales data already proved this was a bad take. The majority give 0 fucks.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    It certainly is. I wonder what sort of arraignment Ubisoft has with Steam. They require you to use uplay even when launching the game from steam. I would be curious to know if they have a different split or something. Epic should at least do that for the titles that said they would be on X platform.
    This is factually untrue. I haven't had UPlay installed on my computer in years. It literally installed for one game that I bought 5 years ago on Steam and I uninstalled it after running the game and it's worked ever since. I'm pretty sure it only existed for initial authentication, after that it was irrelevant.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Metro sales data already proved this was a bad take. The majority give 0 fucks.
    You mean the sales data that isn't published for any of the games in the Metro franchise by the publisher, and that there's ZERO actual published data for Exodus? Oh please

The majority give 0 fucks.
    If that's true, that's really the problem. A sad statement.

Also give me the real stat or is this typical anecdotal BS?

If that's true, that's really the problem. A sad statement.

Also give me the real stat or is this typical anecdotal BS?
    https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p.../VocalMinority

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...SilentMajority

And if you don't think this applies to video games 10 fold especially in a world of youtube rofl... This is literally the internet in a nut shell for everything.

Now if you want to argue, the burden of proof is on you to show the majority are mad about the EGS, after all you are the one that claimed "so many people are mad just google it bro!".

- - - Updated - - -

You mean the sales data that isn't published for any of the games in the Metro franchise by the publisher, and that there's ZERO actual published data for Exodus? Oh please
    https://www.vg247.com/2019/03/20/met...ames-store-ll/

Claiming this is false information would simply be yet another tin foil hat theory that you are well known for in threads like this. I'd avoid it for your own credibility.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-05-07 at 11:16 PM.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p.../VocalMinority

And if you don't think this applies to video games 10 fold especially in a world of youtube rofl...
    My 2nd statement was just a tongue in cheek joke. My actual reply was the first line.

If the majority of the people aren't upset about more exclusives, which are anti-consumer. That's a problem full stop.

Launch your game on all platforms, let consumers pick the best one. Right now, the best one absolutely isn't epic. That launcher and company are a shit show whether you look at features or generalized stability.

As a result consumers who are going to want to enjoy say borderlands 3, are forced to deal with an inferior product.

15+ Year Old Account
    This is factually untrue. I haven't had UPlay installed on my computer in years. It literally installed for one game that I bought 5 years ago on Steam and I uninstalled it after running the game and it's worked ever since. I'm pretty sure it only existed for initial authentication, after that it was irrelevant.
    Before claiming something is a fact you may want to actually figure out if it is first. Uplay is required to play any of the latest ubisoft games. That is because it uses core features of Uplay during the games themselves. Things were different 5 years ago. You didn't always need uplay. But claiming 5 years ago information is a current fact is dumb.

It is even stranger when you launch a steam-bought game in uplay that it first starts up steam only to launch the game with uplay.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/81214...1364304165952/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscr..._origins_from/
    https://gaming.stackexchange.com/que...y-list-as-well
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/81214...uplay+required

The store page on steam for the various Ubisoft titles all state: Requires 3rd-Party Account: Ubisoft Account (Supports Linking to Steam Account)

So what I said is factually true. Uplay wasn't always required. It now is.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2019-05-08 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    o_O;; erm.... really? =/
    That was the joke >.< literally lol

Or, you know, release a superior product with better services than the company they are trying to compete with. You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. But I guess trying to beat Valve at their own game is hard.
    This rarely happens. Other groups have made better products than what is the norm for the product all the time and yet they fade away or be a minor player.

Steam didn't get where they were because they were superior. They got where they were because it was forced on people. You played the game on PC via steam or you didn't play the game on PC all the way through the 2000 - early 2010s. (It was a shit show then too). Without it being forced it would never be as close as big as it is now, it would likely be as big as uplay or origin etc...

On the flip side if Steam wasn't as big we'd almost certainly get Half Life 3.

People generally move to new platforms, products, etc when it's forced on them or is something is so super convenient. Like not needing to go out to get a product when you can get it delivered, or even better streamed imediately when movies (like netflix). Epic would have to change it big time. Like make huge losses with selling games for 50%+ cheaper to keep up with steam and no company in the history of ever is going to go "Hey lets make losses on everything we do."

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    This rarely happens. Other groups have made better products than what is the norm for the product all the time and yet they fade away or be a minor player.

Steam didn't get where they were because they were superior. They got where they were because it was forced on people. You played the game on PC via steam or you didn't play the game on PC all the way through the 2000 - early 2010s. (It was a shit show then too). Without it being forced it would never be as close as big as it is now, it would likely be as big as uplay or origin etc...

On the flip side if Steam wasn't as big we'd almost certainly get Half Life 3.

People generally move to new platforms, products, etc when it's forced on them or is something is so super convenient. Like not needing to go out to get a product when you can get it delivered, or even better streamed imediately when movies (like netflix). Epic would have to change it big time. Like make huge losses with selling games for 50%+ cheaper to keep up with steam and no company in the history of ever is going to go "Hey lets make losses on everything we do."

Considering physical games for the PC have gone the way of the Dodo bird, especially in the last 5 or 6 years because of Steam and other digital distribution platforms, your whole point of Steam being forced on users is bullshit. It was the only good option for a long time, and is still the best quality option with the largest library and user base on the market. Studios utilized Steam early on to get their product to more users because there was no other choice in 2002! Now there's more methods than you can shake a stick at.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    No issue with this personally.

Don't see what the gripe with EGS is either. Used their launcher/store just fine personally.

I'm all for them trying to compete with Valve.
    same sentiment here.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.