Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    same sentiment here.
    The problem is they aren't competing. They aren't selling the same product, therefore, not competing.

It's like saying the big ISP's in the US are competing with each other because they offer the same kind of product, and ignoring that there's none of very few places they offer it at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    The problem is they aren't competing. They aren't selling the same product, therefore, not competing.

It's like saying the big ISP's in the US are competing with each other because they offer the same kind of product, and ignoring that there's none of very few places they offer it at the same time
    Please google the definition of the word competing before claiming something so absurd.

Your comparison to ISPs is nonsensical as hell, in some areas you have only 1 provider that means they have no competition. If another provider came in your area and has higher speeds to draw in customers they are then competing with that provider by offering something they do not. This is what epic is doing. This is how you break into a market.

It's amazing now that we have to do something as dumb as trying to re define words to some nonsensical shit to be mad about this. Just admit it, you're salty Steam is in danger of losing market share for the first time in it's existence because you have invested so much in it. It's sunk cost fallacy, and none of you want to admit it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Please google the definition of the word competing before claiming something so absurd.

Your comparison to ISPs is nonsensical as hell, in some areas you have only 1 provider that means they have no competition. If another provider came in your area and has higher speeds to draw in customers they are then competing with that provider by offering something they do not. This is what epic is doing. This is how you break into a market.

It's amazing now that we have to do something as dumb as trying to re define words to some nonsensical shit to be mad about this. Just admit it, you're salty Steam is in danger of losing market share for the first time in it's existence because you have invested so much in it. It's sunk cost fallacy, and none of you want to admit it.
    How is Epic competing WHEN THEY DON'T OFFER THE SAME PRODUCTS?

If I want to buy, let's say.. Metro Exodus? I have to go through EGS. If I want to buy a CoD game (outside of the newest one) I have to go through Steam. That's not competition. And calling my comparison nonsensical? Yeah, some areas have 1 provider. Most big games have 1 storefront you can buy it from.

If another ISP came in and offered better speeds (In this comparison, that'd be a better product, or better store), then consumers would flock to them. But if another ISP came in and just bought out the infrastructure and made it so you could only buy from them, even with worse speeds (EGS' OBJECTIVELY worse store), you wouldn't call that competition either.

If the EGS didn't buy exclusives I'd be all fucking for it. But I DESPISE their effort to turn the PC market into one with exclusives. Even with just their 88/12 split, they'd probably get a couple AAA games, and that'd be fine. But flat out just buying the exclusivity? That's bad for the consumers

edit: And yes, in the purest sense of the word, EGS and Steam are competing.. But so are US ISP's, and no one thinks they're *actually* competing because they don't offer the same product in the same area
    Last edited by Temp name; 2019-05-08 at 07:51 AM.

How is MS and Sony competing when they each have their own exclusives?!

Putting it in caps doesn't make your comment make anymore sense, you're trying to make up your own definition of the word. They are in the same market, digital game distribution on PC. They are competing. No amount of bullshit you spew otherwise is going to hold here and I'm not even gonna humor the rest of your post after you thought "gee I'll caps lock that will REALLY get my false point across!"

10+ Year Old Account
    How is MS and Sony competing when they each have their own exclusives?!

Putting it in caps doesn't make your comment make anymore sense, you're trying to make up your own definition of the word. They are in the same market, digital game distribution on PC. They are competing. No amount of bullshit you spew otherwise is going to hold here and I'm not even gonna humor the rest of your post after you thought "gee I'll caps lock that will REALLY get my false point across!"
    MS and Sony are competing because they sell the same games. If I want to play CoD? I can play CoD on either console. If I want to play Metro Exodus? I can choose. Most of the games on the consoles, even the big ones, are on both consoles. It's only a small number of first or second party games that are exclusive, like the PS's Spiderman, God of War, or any Naughty Dog game. Most are on both platforms.

Name 1 big game that is on both Steam and the EGS.

I'm not even gonna humor the rest of your post after you thought "gee I'll caps lock that will REALLY get my false point across!"
    Cool, you have nothing to say then

MS and Sony are competing because they sell the same games.
    EGS and Steam sell the same games.

Do you even fact check before you post shit? Did you really just assume every game on the EGS is exclusive? https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/ Look for yourself genius. The majority of the games on EGS are also on steam. The exclusives are the minority.

Claiming they aren't competing services is literally the dumbest take yet in this thread. Congrats.

10+ Year Old Account
    EGS and Steam sell the same games.

Do you even fact check before you post shit? Did you really just assume every game on the EGS is exclusive? https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/ Look for yourself genius. The majority of the games on EGS are also on steam. The exclusives are the minority.

Claiming they aren't competing services is literally the dumbest take yet in this thread. Congrats.
    They're selling the same INDIE games. Name one AAA game that they share.

Indies are a completely different beast

And let's have a look at the top 10:
    Shakedown Hawaii - not out yet
    Hades - Not on steam
    Close to the sun - Not on steam
    World War Z - Not on steam
    Sinking City - Won't be out until 2020
    Satisfactory - Not on steam
    Borderlands 3 - Not on steam
    Walking Dead: final season - Probably won't finish launching since the studio died
    Anno 1800 - Not on steam
    Metro Exodus - Not on steam

So the only games that are on both store fronts.. Are games that haven't been released yet or released by an insolvent studio. Cool, thanks for letting me know

They're selling the same INDIE games.
    Oh man the goal posts, they be moving.

From the guy who thinks he can ass pull his own definition of the word compete comes "indie games aren't real games" take. Shocker.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh man the goal posts, they be moving.

From the guy who thinks he can ass pull his own definition of the word compete comes "indie games aren't real games" take. Shocker.
    And you didn't even look at the list I made, what a shame, that'd have disproven you anyway since most of them are also indies

And you didn't even look at the list I made, what a shame, that'd have disproven you anyway since most of them are also indies
    Honestly I don't read your posts past the first line because after that you usually already made it clear it's not worth doing so. You think you can make up your own definition of the word compete, you think you can pick and choose what qualifies for x criteria. Your entire argument is a weak grasp at straws attempt when like I said, it all boils down to sunk cost fallacy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly I don't read your posts past the first line because after that you usually already made it clear it's not worth doing so. You think you can make up your own definition of the word compete, you think you can pick and choose what qualifies for x criteria. Your entire argument is a weak grasp at straws attempt when like I said, it all boils down to sunk cost fallacy.
    Go back and look at the list I made. 10 first games on the store, 3 are on Steam, 2 aren't out yet, 1 made by an insolvent studio that died before it finished releasing.

And I think I've defended my definition of the word compete quite well, since it's the same competition between US ISP's that no one thinks are actually competing. And I literally said to name 1 big game that were on both stores. Indies are, by definition, not big games.

And about sunk cost fallacy.. If you'd read my 2nd post, you'd know I'd love to support the EGS if they just stopped with their exclusivity bullshit

It doesn't matter if they are indies or not, EGS and Steam still share a lot of the same games. You are just goal post moving.

EGS and Steam are competition because both sell the same product.......VIDEO GAMES.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    It doesn't matter if they are indies or not, EGS and Steam still share a lot of the same games. You are just goal post moving.

EGS and Steam are competition because both sell the same product.......VIDEO GAMES.
    The first 10 games I found on the EGS, 2 weren't out yet, 1 will never finish. 7 were exclusives.

And they sell the same SERVICE, not the same product. The service is a storefront to buy games, the products are the games. A minority of the games they offer are shared between the storefronts. Just like US ISP's. The sell the same service, internet. But since they don't sell it at the same place at the same time, they don't offer the same product, as such, not truly competing with each other in more than the most base definition.

The first 10 games I found on the EGS, 2 weren't out yet, 1 will never finish. 7 were exclusives.

And they sell the same SERVICE, not the same product. The service is a storefront to buy games, the products are the games. A minority of the games they offer are shared between the storefronts. Just like US ISP's. The sell the same service, internet. But since they don't sell it at the same place at the same time, they don't offer the same product, as such, not truly competing with each other in more than the most base definition.
    Holy fuck there is so much wrong with this post, Go take a business class or something.

By ur logic Wal-Mart and Amazon are not competition.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Holy fuck there is so much wrong with this post, Go take a business class or something.

By ur logic Wal-Mart and Amazon are not competition.
    They're selling the same stuff except with a different brand.

If I want toilet paper, I don't care who made it. If I want to play CoD, I want to play CoD, not Battlefield, or some other game. On the surface BF and CoD are the same product, it's a modern-ish first person shooter with a focus on multiplayer. But they handle WAY differently. Toilet paper wipes your ass just as well no matter who made it as long as it's still the same number of layers

If I want toilet paper, I don't care who made it. If I want to play CoD, I want to play CoD, not Battlefield, or some other game. On the surface BF and CoD are the same product, it's a modern-ish first person shooter with a focus on multiplayer. But they handle WAY differently. Toilet paper wipes your ass just as well no matter who made it as long as it's still the same number of layers
    The fact you used CoD and Battlefield as examples shows you don't know what your talking about.

Yes they may be two different games but they cater to the same crowd and both EA and Activision saw each game as competition.

Like I said you clearly don't have a clue about what your talking about. Facts outweigh your feels and the fact is EGS is competition for Steam.

How are EA and Activision competing WHeN oNe SelLS BATtleFiELd aND ThE OthER sElLs cAll oF DUtY?

15+ Year Old Account
    And they sell the same SERVICE, not the same product.
    Then they are competing for the same service. A couple of posts could have been avoided if you just accepted that instead of arguing about specific game titles.

- - - Updated - - -

So selling Video games with different names is not the same as selling Video games with different names? Video games give you enjoyment just as well no matter what storefront you give the money too.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Never understood why people are fine with other exclusives but not Epic.

Hate to tell people this but exclusives has been a thing since video games began.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Never understood why people are fine with other exclusives but not Epic.

Hate to tell people this but exclusives has been a thing since video games began.
    PC gamers have never been ok with exclusives.
    Most people were happy it when many old console exclusives started appearing on steam.