Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    I would be really surprised if there will be sales or big discounts on Epic. In fact i would be willing to bet money that they won't do that.
    I wouldn't invest in a career in fortune telling, then - https://www.pcgamesn.com/epic-games-store-megasale

Literally just leaked their first major sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I wouldn't invest in a career in fortune telling, then - https://www.pcgamesn.com/epic-games-store-megasale

Literally just leaked their first major sale.
    That... really surprises me.
    Arent't almost all their games brand new? Why are they doing a sale so soon? Not selling enough copies?
    I wonder what the discounts will be.

Why are they doing a sale so soon? Not selling enough copies?
    See, this is you coming in with a hard negative bias that colors literally everything related to Epic.

Why do a sale so soon? Because they're expected. Every single storefront has regular major seasonal/holiday sales, EGS was always going to get them eventually as well. It has nothing to do with not selling enough copies and everything to do with competing in the current market. If they don't join in on these sales, they risk losing their audience to other platforms. Pretty standard business 101 shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    See, this is you coming in with a hard negative bias that colors literally everything related to Epic.

Why do a sale so soon? Because they're expected. Every single storefront has regular major seasonal/holiday sales, EGS was always going to get them eventually as well. It has nothing to do with not selling enough copies and everything to do with competing in the current market. If they don't join in on these sales, they risk losing their audience to other platforms. Pretty standard business 101 shit.
    I knew you'd like that sentence
    But no they don't risk anything by not having a sale. They have exclusives, that's their business model.

But no they don't risk anything by not having a sale. They have exclusives, that's their business model.
    They do. You keep looking at their business model with blinders on - sales and exclusives are both a part of the same strategy for market success.

Exclusives drive new user acquisitions, primarily. They're used to build up a userbase within the store.

Sales, as they're a market standard, are a part of retaining those new users by competing directly with the sales offerings of competitors.

Neither are mutually exclusive approaches, and I'm sure if they didn't have a sale you'd be here shouting to the heavens about how anti-consumer not having sales similar to their competitors is. It's easy to take literally any news and spin it as a negative with just a modicum of effort.

15+ Year Old Account
    Even exclusives can drum up more sales by having a sale. It is why literally every store does it. Including amazon on amazon-only products like the Fire TV stick.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Even exclusives can drum up more sales by having a sale. It is why literally every store does it. Including amazon on amazon-only products like the Fire TV stick.
    Except for Nintendo, who seem to only put their games on sale once in a blue moon and their consoles even less than that. And most of those kinds of sales are like 15% off, which is basically saving the tax for a lot of us Canadian consumers due to 13% taxation on everything we buy.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Except for Nintendo, who seem to only put their games on sale once in a blue moon and their consoles even less than that. And most of those kinds of sales are like 15% off, which is basically saving the tax for a lot of us Canadian consumers due to 13% taxation on everything we buy.
    Once in a blue moon is still doing it. So Nintendo is not an exception.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Once in a blue moon is still doing it. So Nintendo is not an exception.
    They're also not competing with the storefronts that regularly do deep sales on PC, so it's not even relevant for the current discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    ... so does every other platform ._.
    Except that other platforms also develop their own exclusives or contract them directly, rather than just trying to purchase them off of everyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by downnola View Post
    me: wow, why am I tired and feel like shit?
    body: coffee is not a meal, drink some water
    body: eat a vegetable.
    body: sleep
    me: I guess we'll never know
    body: oh my god.

Quote Originally Posted by sibut View Post
    Except that other platforms also develop their own exclusives or contract them directly, rather than just trying to purchase them off of everyone else.
    Epic does make games, even if they're only a few active ones nowadays. And they also make an engine used to create games, many of which are on their store. And they also provide grants (i.e. free money, not loans to be paid back or investing in companies to acquire a stake in them) to create games (and other software), some of which may eventually end up on their store.

10+ Year Old Account
    That... really surprises me.
    Arent't almost all their games brand new? Why are they doing a sale so soon? Not selling enough copies?
    I wonder what the discounts will be.
    Sony (Microsoft probably has one too) has a sell every year in Nov-Dec where recent games are marker 10-30% off. Games that came out as little as a week prior get marked down. It has nothing to do with games 'not selling enough.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Sony (Microsoft probably has one too) has a sell every year in Nov-Dec where recent games are marker 10-30% off. Games that came out as little as a week prior get marked down. It has nothing to do with games 'not selling enough.
    Yes but apparently this whole sale is paid for by epic, the publishers still get the full price for each sold game (from what i've heard). It's a strange sale and, even if Edge doesn't like to hear it, it really makes it look like the store is not selling as much as one is made to believe.

Yes but apparently this whole sale is paid for by epic, the publishers still get the full price for each sold game (from what i've heard). It's a strange sale and, even if Edge doesn't like to hear it, it really makes it look like the store is not selling as much as one is made to believe.
    You do realize lots of stores do that and also what is your source for this claim?

All you seem to do is shit on EGS,Say something false, Get Proven wrong and then goal post move. We get it you hate EGS because it kicked your puppy.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    You do realize lots of stores do that and also what is your source for this claim?

All you seem to do is shit on EGS,Say something false, Get Proven wrong and then goal post move. We get it you hate EGS because it kicked your puppy.
    I never heard of another store doing this.
    I got proven wrong once, i accepted it (not many people do that on this forum). What's your problem with that? Are you never wrong?
    I don't like the EGS because i think it's bad for consumers, whats your reason to defend it time and time again?

I got proven wrong once, i accepted it (not many people do that on this forum). What's your problem with that? Are you never wrong?
    I don't like the EGS because i think it's bad for consumers, whats your reason to defend it time and time again?
    1) Then you haven't paid attention to how stores work.
    2) You have been proven wrong more then once, You have only "Accepted" that you was wrong one time.
    3) You can think EGS is bad for consumers but its factually good for consumers because competition is good for consumers. Not once have I actually defended the store and you can even read my posts where I have said both EGS and Steam are shit.

But competition is good and nothing is 100% good or bad. If you have taken a basic business class you would understand how EGS is actually good for the consumer.

Valve isn't hungry and hasn't been in quite sometime, The state if their store shows this. EGS lighting a fire under their ass and exposing how greedy they are is good for the consumer.

You keep shitting on EGS while ignoring Valve's hand in this matter. Once again if Valve just said 88% the EGS would be over.

You keep only looking at the short term things you don't like (Like the exclusives) and fully ignoring the long term benefits.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    But competition is good and nothing is 100% good or bad.
    Competition for customers is good for customers. Epics competes for Publishers.

Brig will never understand that. He is so focused on his hate for valve disregarding all factors to try and desperately paint EPIC in good light. This sale is finally something good epic is doing for consumers (along with the promotion of giveaways), and the principle of what they're trying to accomplish is fine (real competition would be good). Unfortunately exclusives literally are the opposite (epic could literally overpay for big name exclusives, making the developer thrilled, and screw the end user with experience and cost for the full term of the contract) and the tired "if steam would go down to 88%" argument is such a strawman. I wish epic would spend some of these large sums of money they're throwing around to implementing a few basic (or heaven forbid, "good"/"advanced") features for their store, and do something about their terrible practices/security/image. I (and many) want to support healthy competition -- epic is not it (yet, at least) the way they're doing it. And steam has its issues but it also has all the features, support, better (not flawless) security, and pioneered the industry. All they need to do is redefine or restructure their indy game offerings (clean up the crapshow) and maybe compete a bit more on this developer payout issue (if they want the goodwill; they'll likely need to extend their 20% on >500k down to a lower or even base value)

15+ Year Old Account
    Incorrect. Epic is paying the $10 rebate. Each publisher/developer sets the sale price for their game. That itself has brought some controversy as some have pulled from the sale and others have raised prices.

- - - Updated - - -

Greenmangaming has vouchers all of the time. It isn't as broad as Epic's voucher/rebate. But companies paying for sales is nothing new in the retail. And I'd like you to try and prove that steam does not have incentives to offer lowers sales on games during their mega sales.

- - - Updated - - -

And yet they still need to compete for customers so they make those publishers money. But your statement is dumb considering the alternative to epic exclusives is the product being exclusively on steam.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Razamith View Post
    All they need to do is redefine or restructure their indy game offerings (clean up the crapshow) and maybe compete a bit more on this developer payout issue (if they want the goodwill; they'll likely need to extend their 20% on >500k down to a lower or even base value)
    Its funny how you support a statement saying that competing for publishers is bad yet then go on to say steam needs to compete for publishers as well. The end user is not screwed for cost with exclusives because epic has yet to price anything above industry standards. The only other thing you lose out on is a profile to showcase achievements. The games will still have their own internal achievements if they want. But steam profiles, cards, badges, etc are really not that important in the grand scheme.

But your statement is dumb considering the alternative to epic exclusives is the product being exclusively on steam.
    This is false dichotomy, they can be sold on both, they can be sold on neither.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though