Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ...
6
14
15
16
  1. #301
    Immortal Fahrenheit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Posts
    7,191
    Junkgnomes seems likely to happen, but it's also going to flop unless they have way OP racials. There is a reason gnomes are the least played Classic race, hardly anyone wants to play a shirmp sized race in a game about role playing power fantasy, doubly so if they're just a shrimp sized human with little visual variation from other, larger sized humans.
    Last edited by Fahrenheit; 2019-06-24 at 02:03 PM.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

    Sovereign
    Mass Effect

  2. #302
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    WHO CARES

    The game has alot wrong with it, lack of cosmetic dressup crap is not one of them.
    Most players play for cosmetics, that's how the game is now

  3. #303
    Allied races are my most hated feature in the entire game. For a decade we begged for more customization for EXISTING races, or even sub-races. What we got was racial transmog that has to be farm-unlocked via reputation, which requires me to either abandon my existing character or pay actual cash to make use of. Allied races flat out do not exist in my eyes. There is no content associated with them because I will never support this model.

  4. #304
    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by matttrick View Post
    Allied races are my most hated feature in the entire game. For a decade we begged for more customization for EXISTING races, or even sub-races. What we got was racial transmog that has to be farm-unlocked via reputation, which requires me to either abandon my existing character or pay actual cash to make use of. Allied races flat out do not exist in my eyes. There is no content associated with them because I will never support this model.
    Most hated? Maybe by you and you alone. lol

  5. #305
    Quote Originally Posted by HoodKazekage View Post
    - - - Updated - - -



    Most hated? Maybe by you and you alone. lol
    I literally said MY MOST HATED are you really this dense?

  6. #306
    I am Murloc! Lord Pebbleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pebbleton Family Castle.
    Posts
    5,295
    Mangled gnomes
    Because standard gnomes weren't gross enough

  7. #307
    Quote Originally Posted by matttrick View Post
    I literally said MY MOST HATED are you really this dense?
    Yeah and I said you and you alone. Are you that dense?

  8. #308
    Quote Originally Posted by HoodKazekage View Post
    Yeah and I said you and you alone. Are you that dense?
    Even if that were true, which it isn't, you are stating something I wasn't even arguing against like it is relevant.

  9. #309
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    You think we'll ever get "full races" again? Just curious about your thoughts on this topic.
    Yes, probably.

    I know people love to meme "BLIZZARD IS SO GREEDY, ALLIED RACES ARE A SCAM FOR MONEY, OH MY GOD, SO CHEAP!!!!! CUTTING COSTS!"

    But the reality of the situation is that no matter how you slice it, even with an individual allied race being significantly less resource heavy than a regular race; eight (ten, with mechagnomes and Vulpera) of them are not much cheaper than two regular races. You save costs on making a dedicated starting zone, but you're doing significantly more skin textures, hairstyles, voicelines, racials, similar levels of animation/armor scaling but across multiple allied races, and so on.

    I think it's a lot more likely that the driving factor for the allied race system wasn't "it's cheaper and easier" it was trying to strike a balance between the vocal part of the playerbase that was constantly asking for sub-race systems, mag'har, blood elves on the Alliance, Dark Irons, etc. and the portion of the playerbase that would get extremely vocal and complain if they had just actually added in a bunch of customization options instead of "new" stuff.

    It's also a system that is a focus in BfA but will probably just act as a regular system in expansions moving forward. Think of it like Arena, or Scenarios, stuff like that. You get a bunch of them and a bunch of focus on them in the expansions that launched those features (BC/MoP), but then going forward they keep doing that when they have ideas or see they can use them, while switching focus to other systems. You'll see allied races in expansions after BfA, I'm sure. But it won't be "here's this expansion's ten allied races" it will be like "There's a new allied race being added in X.2!"

    So it's pretty likely you'll also see some more traditional races with starting zones, full customization, completely unique aniamtions, etc. as main features of an expansion, alongside the occasional allied race.

    Ethereal as a Pandaren like race that joins Alliance and Horde?
    Probably. Could make them Alliance only if you leaned on Locus Walker, or even give them two different varieties, with the arcane Consortium version joining the Blood Elves or Goblins, and a redeemed Shadowguard joining the Void Elves.

  10. #310
    Full races are never going to happen again. All the future race are going to be Allied race, and that include any potential race (Like Ogre or Ethereal for example.)
    Old race system demande dedicated zone that server only for 10 level and are never used again.

    Imo, Allied race is a better system. It give players something to work at max level, the race can still have their own zone but it's a high level and useful (Argus, Highmountain, Suramar) and they are faster to design.

  11. #311
    Quote Originally Posted by Absintheminded View Post
    I don't get the hate with Void Elves. They're bad ass, you can have a pompadour, and really sick racials. If I were alliance, you're goddamn right I'd main one.
    Pompadours are the most ridiculous looking hairstyle ever.

  12. #312
    Ogres. Kul Tiran reskin. Get ready.

  13. #313
    Elemental Lord Syegfryed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Darkshore, Killing Living and Dead elves
    Posts
    8,612
    8.3 Sanlayn and Lightbound ???
    yeah, what about no?

  14. #314
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Yes, probably.

    I know people love to meme "BLIZZARD IS SO GREEDY, ALLIED RACES ARE A SCAM FOR MONEY, OH MY GOD, SO CHEAP!!!!! CUTTING COSTS!"

    But the reality of the situation is that no matter how you slice it, even with an individual allied race being significantly less resource heavy than a regular race; eight (ten, with mechagnomes and Vulpera) of them are not much cheaper than two regular races. You save costs on making a dedicated starting zone, but you're doing significantly more skin textures, hairstyles, voicelines, racials, similar levels of animation/armor scaling but across multiple allied races, and so on.

    I think it's a lot more likely that the driving factor for the allied race system wasn't "it's cheaper and easier" it was trying to strike a balance between the vocal part of the playerbase that was constantly asking for sub-race systems, mag'har, blood elves on the Alliance, Dark Irons, etc. and the portion of the playerbase that would get extremely vocal and complain if they had just actually added in a bunch of customization options instead of "new" stuff.

    It's also a system that is a focus in BfA but will probably just act as a regular system in expansions moving forward. Think of it like Arena, or Scenarios, stuff like that. You get a bunch of them and a bunch of focus on them in the expansions that launched those features (BC/MoP), but then going forward they keep doing that when they have ideas or see they can use them, while switching focus to other systems. You'll see allied races in expansions after BfA, I'm sure. But it won't be "here's this expansion's ten allied races" it will be like "There's a new allied race being added in X.2!"

    So it's pretty likely you'll also see some more traditional races with starting zones, full customization, completely unique aniamtions, etc. as main features of an expansion, alongside the occasional allied race.


    Probably. Could make them Alliance only if you leaned on Locus Walker, or even give them two different varieties, with the arcane Consortium version joining the Blood Elves or Goblins, and a redeemed Shadowguard joining the Void Elves.
    Thanks for elaborating! Pretty much agree on most points.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again
    Vote #Jaina!
    #Proudmoore4AllianceLeader
    #ImwithHer2020

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •