Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Egypt thought Italian student was British spy, tortured and murdered him

What the fuck Egypt?

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...rdered-report/

Egyptian police arrested and beat an Italian student who was later found murdered because they thought he was a British spy, according to fresh testimony reported by Italian newspapers on Sunday.

The account of how Giulio Regeni, a 28-year-old doctoral researcher at Britain’s Cambridge University, disappeared in Cairo in January 2016 came from a witness who overheard an Egyptian intelligence agent speaking about “the Italian guy,” La Repubblica newspaper said.

The conversation about the tumultuous situation in Egypt in Arabic took place at a police convention in an unnamed African country in 2017 and was related to Italian prosecutors who have now asked Egyptian authorities for more information.

Can't trust the British *glares around the thread with shifty eyes*
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

7+ Year Old Account
    This is what happens when your country suffers perpetual heat stroke.

I don't want to downplay the horrendous suffering that poor young man had to endure, nor the barbaric state the egyptian gouvernment is in, but isn't that story 2 years old?

Glad i visited egypt 10-15 years ago.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    I don't want to downplay the horrendous suffering that poor young man had to endure, nor the barbaric state the egyptian gouvernment is in, but isn't that story 2 years old?
    It happened 2 years ago, yes. More has come to light now.

7+ Year Old Account
    The article linked in the OP was published today. Must be some new developments.

breaking news: humans are still stupid.

That article is from today. The events happenned over 2 years ago but the truth about it is just starting to come out.

There is a new witness who overheard an Egyptian agent speaking about this guy and Italians think the source is credible so they asked Egyptian authorities where that agent was when the alleged conversation took place.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know what's worse; the fact they tortured him, or the fact they thought he was british. I mean, 007 spying on egypt? What for?

There are lots of countries with rich history I just will never go to.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    One of the exceedingly few things you said I agree with. Don't go to shitty places... Africa tops that list.

Under no circumstances will I ever be found in any country like this, where the vast majority of the population is you-know-who.

They utterly lack respect for rights and civilization.
    "Independence forever!" --- President John Adams
    "America is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own." --- President John Quincy Adams
    "Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

You know, I can totally imagine the guy who gave the order - badly educated, has connections, which is how he got the post AND/OR decided that hey, if I catch a spy, I will be promoted! Even if there is no spy, I can always just lie, no one will care!

Quote Originally Posted by Realitytrembles View Post
    Under no circumstances will I ever be found in any country like this, where the vast majority of the population is you-know-who.

They utterly lack respect for rights and civilization.
    This sounds like it's an issue of authoritarian government, something you are a huge proponent of.

I love history but there are some places I wouldn't go either.
    English is not my main language so grammar errors might happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefastus View Post
    I love history but there are some places I wouldn't go either.
    Iraq is one of those countries.

Iraq is one of those countries.
    Syria too.
    English is not my main language so grammar errors might happen.

It's sad watching the same people who justified Trump's pardoning of the soldier who murdered someone be outraged by this.

The cognitive dissonance is off the charts.