Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by js3915 View Post
    Some things of ACA was good but forcing people to pay was atrocious... If i don't wanna pay for something I have the right to not pay for it which I gladly exercised.
    So you have been fighting to get rid of SS and Medicare....right?

odd how the republican party never seem to follow up with getting rid of things you are forced to pay for...…

P.s can I stop paying property tax now that my kid is out of high school?

And what happens when Mr No insurance js3915 gets run over by some dude with no car insurance....and no money. The hospital performs 1 million dollars worth of services to save Mr No Insurance's life.

Now Mr No Insurance has no ability to pay off 1 million dollars anytime soon.

Who do you think is going to be charged more for every service to make up for the fact that Mr No Insurance did not want to be forced to pay for anything...….

Talk about being forced to pay for something...….

Quote Originally Posted by js3915 View Post
    Some things of ACA was good but forcing people to pay was atrocious...
    You must really hate car insurance.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    You must really hate car insurance.
    I hate car insurance. Never had an accident in my life, yet spending close to a couple thousand a fucking year. Pisses me off when I think about it :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Senator Moore will be sitting in that seat and I hope it burns you to your core.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Trump did it so it's good. I put my faith in a strong political figure because I lack self-esteem and feel threatened by a changing world. Whoever stands against him is bad because I do not understand their arguments and I have a simple tribalistic mindset created through the consumption of right-wing media.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaderas View Post
    I hate car insurance. Never had an accident in my life, yet spending close to a couple thousand a fucking year. Pisses me off when I think about it :/
    It's no different than not being sick for years and still paying health insurance, but paying that couple grand makes up for it in the first decent accident you have.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's no different than not being sick for years and still paying health insurance, but paying that couple grand makes up for it in the first decent accident you have.
    I'm never going to be sick and I'm never going to be in an accident.
    Senator Moore will be sitting in that seat and I hope it burns you to your core.
    Trump did it so it's good. I put my faith in a strong political figure because I lack self-esteem and feel threatened by a changing world. Whoever stands against him is bad because I do not understand their arguments and I have a simple tribalistic mindset created through the consumption of right-wing media.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaderas View Post
    I'm never going to be sick and I'm never going to be in an accident.
    The chance you will be sick are almost 100%, unless you decide to straight out die before you get past a certain age.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    The chance you will be sick are almost 100%, unless you decide to straight out die before you get past a certain age.
    Renew! Renew! Renew!

As a generality, no one should think about insurance as likely to "make up for it". It's a net negative expectancy over any given term and over the course of a lifetime - that's literally how insurance companies are making money. Pooling risk allows mitigation of catastrophic risk, which is obviously an important strategy in life, since gaining some slight marginal return at the expense of risking ruin is the financial equivalent of picking up nickels in front of a steamrolller.

A natural extension of that is that it's silly to carry insurance for anything that you can easily afford the worst case scenario from - it's better to just take the money you'd spend, invest it, and prefer the higher expected rate fo return. Obviously that doesn't apply with health insurance or life insurance; auto insurance is an interesting case and it's justifiably required given the potential for catastrophe. But for an accident that doesn't involve massive property damage or loss of life? Nah, overinsuring for standard collision is a silly move financially.

I don't mean to condescend, I realize you probably know this anyway, I just want to discourage sloppy thinking around what insurance is and how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by MeanDrunkBecky View Post
    Ongoing In: When the GOP Threatens Health Care, Believe Them

DOJ lays out case for striking down Obamacare in its entirety;

The Trump administration offered its first full argument Wednesday for its reversal on the Affordable Care Act, arguing in new court filings that the entire law "should not be allowed to remain in effect."

The government argues in the filings that the so-called "individual mandate" requiring Americans to have coverage is unconstitutional and that the rest of the law should therefore also be struck down, even if the government "might support some individual provisions as a policy matter."

In the filing, Assistant Attorney General Joseph Hunt acknowledged that the administration had previously argued that parts of the law could remain in effect even if the individual mandate were struck down, but he said, the administration had come to believe it could no longer defend that position. He suggested that rewriting the statute by "picking and choosing which provisions to invalidate" would interfere with the role of Congress and the "proper course" for the courts would be to strike down the law in its entirety.
    The brief was filed with the conservative-leaning 5th US Circuit Court of Appeals, which will hear arguments in July and possibly tee up a Supreme Court case next term that could finally decide the fate of the law and render a decision during the heart of the presidential election.

If the law is struck down, it would be a major victory for President Donald Trump, who has worked his entire presidency to wipe away a signature legislative achievement of the Obama administration.

Which totally explains the misdirected rage at the very real possibility of some 20 million Americans losing their coverage. It's preferable to believe the lies than face this horrible truth.
    When they Democrats had the power they could have pushed for real healthcare reform. Instead they forced us to buy from greedy insurance companies. Fuck the ACA. I am fine with healthcare for all, but it doesn't need to be through over prices health insurance with high ass premiums.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    When they Democrats had the power they could have pushed for real healthcare reform. Instead they forced us to buy from greedy insurance companies. Fuck the ACA. I am fine with healthcare for all, but it doesn't need to be through over prices health insurance with high ass premiums.
    Someone forgets how much Republicans got their hands all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by MeanDrunkBecky View Post
    If Trump actually succeeds in removing the ACA, that would be a very big plus of his presidency. I know many lefties think ACA is great, but it isn't. It's a classic "let's make people pay a lot of money into a separate pool so that we can reallocate money from that pool 'smarter' than they would" - this is just terrible. Unless you are the one receiving the benefits obviously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    If Trump actually succeeds in removing the ACA, that would be a very big plus of his presidency.
    Precipitating the collapse of the private insurance industry and guaranteeing a Democratic victory in 2020 is a plus, yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Precipitating the collapse of the private insurance industry and guaranteeing a Democratic victory in 2020 is a plus, yeah.
    If you think that's what will happen, write to your representative to support Trump's initiative explaining your big plan.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you think that's what will happen, write to your representative to support Trump's initiative explaining your big plan.
    It did happen. Why do you think the Democrats won the House?
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    If Trump actually succeeds in removing the ACA, that would be a very big plus of his presidency. I know many lefties think ACA is great, but it isn't. It's a classic "let's make people pay a lot of money into a separate pool so that we can reallocate money from that pool 'smarter' than they would" - this is just terrible. Unless you are the one receiving the benefits obviously.
    Contrarian Lefties praising the demise of the ACA are dumb. It's like the they are the same stupid people that swore Trump really did have a populist replacement plan.

They're missing the obvious. Even if Bernie wins in 2020, no way McConnell lets any improved Healthcare pass through the Senate. Bernie's cult has made him into the new Green Lantern, that he can magically wish Bernie Care into place.

Or a repeat of the New Deal. Bernie forgets the early New Deal that he loves... was being gutted early by a conservative court.

Court Packing is just more magical thinking...

Lefties have this stupid habit of; pissing all over moderate gains, dividing their votes. Then "After Hitler, our turn!"

It did happen. Why do you think the Democrats won the House?
    Well, I have no idea why the Democrats won the House, that's true, but did the collapse of the private insurance industry also happen? :-)

Well, I have no idea why the Democrats won the House, that's true, but did the collapse of the private insurance industry also happen? :-)
    Yes. Let's take away healthcare from millions of people and not replace it with anything. That will definitely win them votes!

/s

Quote Originally Posted by omerome View Post
    Yes. Let's take away healthcare from millions of people and not replace it with anything. That will definitely win them votes!

/s
    Let's give them back their money so that they can buy their insurance the way they were buying it before the ACA - which worked perfectly well and was cheaper and better for them, because they could shop around and make decisions that suit them best.

The losers here would be those who currently get subsidized by others.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, because the ACA remained in place.

- - - Updated - - -

Let's give them back their money so that they can buy their insurance the way they were buying it before the ACA - which worked perfectly well and was cheaper and better for them, because they could shop around and make decisions that suit them best.

The losers here would be those who currently get subsidized by others.
    It didn't work perfectly well; why do you think healthcare became an issue of public discussion in the first place.

It didn't work perfectly well; why do you think healthcare became an issue of public discussion in the first place.
    Why ACA happened? Because it fit the dems agenda on all counts - a big populist thing which produces lots of votes from those who get benefits, tons of money to redistribute, tons of things to regulate. That was a power grab.