Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    As i'm sure very few people here are form vets and (or) police. You need to just watch Donut Operator on youtube and it break down on law enforcement.
    Simply put it's fun to shit all over police right now. Lack of applicants and the quality of people applying leaves much to be desired. Also the level of shit you have to do as a cop is far greater than it was thirty or forty years ago, documenting everything you do it's not a desirable field of work and sure there are a fair few dumbasses and people who shouldn't be cops but that's true for everything.

Ton's of people shouldn't be parents (But yet they are), others shouldn't be doctors, contractors, you name it there's people disgracing their profession. But if you put Racist cop does X or look at one dumbass and smear it all over the front page as proof that every single cop is racist. Every single department is dominated by white supremacist neo nazi's, you poison a lot of minds of people who would be good cops.

It's why you won't find a lot of recruits to fill those voids and most veterans find the appeal of an organized system that is militaristic to go in to as were used to it. (Did my 3 years and joined the police not long after as a way to support myself.)

And I can't speak for all agencies, most police departments don't like MP's who transition to cops, usually the other way around. MP's have a much different standard than police and don't like the cross over. But quite a few combat MoS enjoy the police line of work, in my unit I know six other guys who joined the police after their time was up.

It's not Police culture that has changed, it's society, the media, and the way cops have to tip toe around everything. I get called a racist every single day for doing nothing but a simple traffic ticket, investigating an accident and explaining how they are at fault, and going into a house to explain to two grown adults basic human decency and not devolve into five year olds screaming at me for not doing something like arresting their next door neighbor who fixing his roof and some of the building tiles fell over the fence and onto their property.

It's a high stress job and high risk, you won't find people jumping into this line of work. You have to be patient, able to articulate yourself, and handle really stressful situations and deal with a lot of dumb shit, handling people with severe mental issues, drunks, suicidal, and those who say if any police come close I'll kill them and then do exactly the opposite.

If that sounds fun to you then sign up, sadly that's a big turn off to good applicants and when people are already in they find out very quickly that they can't handle this job and create the huge shortages in police forces. Ours is roughly 700 officers and were capable of staffing 1400. Every day we have overtime recall to fill the patrolman jobs that are the basic units that go to call to call. Roughly it's 1 officer per 1400 people in my city, many times it's just be me working in a section of five thousand people by myself and going call to call to call for eight hours straight or even better 16 hours because we're short staffed.

Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    You still can, what are you talking about lol

Unless you live in some wacko state like New York

If you live in my state of Virginia however:

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/stat...aws/virginia/#

It's to my understanding that there is no law saying I can't have "firearms" or "non bladed projectile firing devices"
    No, you can't.

The operative part of that is the "Federal and State laws" bit. Ignoring the state law component, legally owning what the statute classifies as a machine gun requires compliance with the National Firearms Act. In order to comply and get the $200 tax stamp, you'll need to undergo an extensive background check (I want to say that's done by the FBI but don't quote me on that one), get the approval of your local sheriff, submit your fingerprints to the BATF, and wait about six months for everything to clear. At that point, you'll be issued a $200 tax stamp allowing you to buy one machine gun of your choice...if you have around ~$20,000 lying around and can find a Class III firearms dealer. They're fairly rare. I do not know if Class III weapons are subject to the same FFL rules as regular guns (meaning, I don't know if you can do the transaction online and have it mailed to any regular FFL dealer; the dealer side of the law isn't my forte).

The Virginia statute doesn't make an exception to that presumption of offensive purpose for possession outside of one's premises for ranges or practice, which I find interesting. It's also interesting the law would specify empty shells, but that's more legal musings than anything else.

Not calling you out or anything; I just find that's a common misconception. You can get things that look like machine guns all day long, but getting an actual machine gun is usually prohibitively expensive and legally onerous.

On topic, I would presume the whole shaved head thing is simply so that suspects could not leverage the officer's hair in the event of an altercation. I don't really see anything spooky beyond that.
    Last edited by Reaper0329; 2019-05-03 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Misspoke; meant to say NFA, not FFA

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I don’t know how many military people you personally know, but since birth I’ve been in the military life. I know a lot of military people, that’s why I replied to you.
    And I know that about you from previous posts of yours. And it may be we're just not seeing eye to eye on what I mean by 'common'. And if you really want to keep going back and forth we can. How about this, it is not uncommon to find someone in law enforcement who has a military background?

Quote Originally Posted by Didly View Post
    Imagine memeing on the Constitution and Bill of Rights

Good luck defending your self or family without any sort of firearm. Hope you can make it a phone to call the cops if something happens, and I hope they're there quick enough to help you out.
    I'm not American. I'm an outside observer laughing at your inane shenanigans. So I'll meme at your outdated pieces of toiletpaper all I damn well want. Especially since they should've been updated to reflect modern society. Instead ya'll cling to it like the bible; also an outdated write-up that was applicable only in ancient times.

You're stuck in your gun hell. Your elders made stupid choices and you're stuck in a situation that could've been prevented.

I don't have the answers to solve it. I'm not out of touch with reality enough to say 'just ban all guns' and thinking that would solve the problem. But what I can do, is laugh at those thinking it's not only the only way, but the correct way, all evidence of the rest of the world to the contrary.
    Last edited by Chonar; 2019-05-03 at 02:30 PM.
    If World of Warcraft has taught me anything, it's that teaching a crowd something is far harder than teaching individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by The Knight View Post
    How about this, it is not uncommon to find someone in law enforcement who has a military background?
    Yes, I’d agree with you on that.
    “Fairy tales are more than true – not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten.” - G. K. Chesterton & Neil Gaiman
    Twitter | DeviantArt | Twitch

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Yes, I’d agree with you on that.
    That's all I was really trying to say.

When the public spits on you, calls you "pigs," creates songs like "Fuck The Police," name armor-piercing rounds "cop killers," and so on and so forth, it tends to make them worse.

The people who think it was the police that evoked the public's change first are the truly delusional ones. The vast majority of people who choose to become police officers do so with the ideal of helping and protecting you (that's a general 'you'). You're (again, general) hatred of them is what makes things ugly, not the other way around.

It's the "army guy" look. It's associated with looking tough and manly.

I personally can't stand the look. Guys look better with hair.

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    1950s

present

Where did this shaved head bs come from?
    https://newrepublic.com/article/1416...ior-philosophy

Should American police work harder to attract a more classy recruit?

Should we enforce more hair in the police dress code?

I would blame the police recruiting soldiers not fit to serve in the public.

I also blame the George Bush Junior years where the police state was being manifested, changing the attitude of police throughout the country.

They are wannabe soldiers at this point.

It will get worse as the population reaches 400 million.
    “Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.”

It hasn't.
    MMO-Champion Off-Topic's voice of reason.
    If you're mad at me, rest assured it's only because I'm smarter than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

Because they're trying so hard to look like their a military force.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy
    People just want to be bullies without facing any sort of consequences or social fallout for being a bully. If you declare X as a racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. person you can say or do whatever you want to them, ignoring the fact that they are a human.

Is it because of more police officers coming from a military background?

Quote Originally Posted by morpen View Post
    Because the crime has changed. As the criminals get harder, so must the police.
    Nice feelings bro. Here's some facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post

There being less crime because society is generally improving, doesn't rule out that crime there still is has gotten more hardcore/gang related.
    Ii didn't say crime was on the rise you idiot.

It does vary by area, obviously, but in South Florida they don't really go for military background folks as much anymore. They want people to learn the systems they have in place without preconceived notions of how to act. The poor firearms training in general probably leads to more errors among police. There was also a trend to think of ex-military as all having PTSD after Gulf. It might be easy to think of military background leading to more violent altercations, but military has rules of engagement drilled into them much more than police.

If it went back to the roaring 20's they'd probably see a similar spike during prohibition to that 80's/ early 90's bit of drug war. I think the drug war marked a huge escalation as it becomes easier to actually track interstate crime and prosecute folks. Drugs became very profitable, but it arose with a particular apathy towards trying to lay low and escape vs shooting it out. Gun technology hasn't changed significantly from the roaring 20's when dueling tommy guns punctuated things, but the average cop has left behind the the old revolver because now they're actually expected to break up drug operations rather than drinking with the buddies at an illegal bar during prohibition.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper0329 View Post
    At that point, you'll be issued a $200 tax stamp allowing you to buy one machine gun of your choice...if you have around ~$20,000 lying around and can find a Class III firearms dealer. They're fairly rare.
    You did miss the one important thing of "banned in 1986", you cannot manufacture new machineguns after 1986 for us mere peasants. You can only buy machineguns registered before 1986, which is why they run $8000 and way way up. The $200 tax stamp is a transfer tax, but is tied to a specific transfer of a specific weapon, rather than getting the stamp, then looking for a product. You buy the product, file the form with $200, then wait for approval (currently about a year).
    I do not know if Class III weapons are subject to the same FFL rules as regular guns (meaning, I don't know if you can do the transaction online and have it mailed to any regular FFL dealer; the dealer side of the law isn't my forte).
    An FFL can get his Special Occupational Tax (SOT) for $500 a year, which allows him to transfer to/from other SOT dealers without the $200 tax on each transaction. Otherwise he would pay the $200 tax each time.

On topic, I would presume the whole shaved head thing is simply so that suspects could not leverage the officer's hair in the event of an altercation. I don't really see anything spooky beyond that.
    More worrisome is how many of the young men are clearly losing their hairline!
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

The rule of law is absolute. Why? Because when it's not, you get fanatical rednecks who go around shooting up gay bars and killing everyone for their sins against God. Shame on you.
    “The weak are always anxious for justice and equality. The strong pay no heed to either.” ― Aristotle
    Your signature is pending verification.

I don't understand a lot of the sentiments in this thread. It is extremely obvious that most American cities are wildly under-policed. You can go almost an entire day of driving around in a decent sized city and only see one or two cop cars. In Japan and other countries with less serious crime problems, you see a police station every block or two in major cities.

Chatting with my wife yesterday, we were talking about this and some surrounding issues. My hypothesis is that the United States combines a peaceful Western European level of tolerance for criminality, plus a population that's much more criminally inclined than Western Europe, plus an unwillingness to take genuinely extreme measures (significantly increased levels of exile, capital punishment, or corporal punishment). So, we get a series of twisted half measures like a massive carceral state, huge surveillance apparatus, and police behavior ranging from low-level harassment to outright violence. No one much likes this arrangement, but it's hard to see a path to significant improvement.

Yeah, the police toughening up in the early 90's really improved the nation as a whole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Sort of a nit-pick but isn't the first picture of Canadian police?