Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Why has American police culture changed so much?

1950s

present

Where did this shaved head bs come from?
    https://newrepublic.com/article/1416...ior-philosophy

Should American police work harder to attract a more classy recruit?

Should we enforce more hair in the police dress code?
    Last edited by CmdrShep2154; 2019-05-03 at 07:43 AM.

They’re just tools of the oligarchy, let ‘em look ugly.

You want to go back to a time where the police could indiscriminately target black people without repercussion?

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah yes, the hairdo.
    Truly the thing that comes to mind first when talking about problems in the U.S. police force.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

The Militarization of your Police Force is just a byproduct of the 393 million http://www.smallarmssurvey.org/filea...ms-Numbers.pdf Firearms that are in the Wild in the US basicaly, its a response because of the paranoia of getting or getting not shot every day on your job.
    Last edited by Lorianus; 2019-05-03 at 08:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorianus View Post
    The Militarization of your Poliice Force is just a byproduct of the 393 million http://www.smallarmssurvey.org/filea...ms-Numbers.pdf Firearms that are in the Wild in the US basicaly, its a response because of the paranoia of getting or getting not shot every day on your job.
    but muh freedumbs
    what if govurnmnt
    tresspass on mah property
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

I imagine american police officers are the only people more afraid of fireworks than animals. "Is that a gunshot or firework? now is THAT a gunshot or firework? Fuck it pray and spray!"

Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    but muh freedumbs
    what if govurnmnt
    tresspass on mah property
    Yep that's what people in Venezuela are saying, too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rathaplan View Post
    Well, yes, he probably does.

About 40% of the US does. Newsflash, white americans, kinda racist.
    Too bad they can't arrest people based on sheer stupidity.

It's been my experience that the police tend to attract those who were bullied or lacked any sort of agency in their younger years. They suddenly are granted a fair amount of power over people and unsurprisingly it goes to their head.

That is not to say there isn't good people in the police departments, there definitely is, but between the wrong type of people being attracted to the job and a surplus of military grade hardware being given to them with little to no training, it's a shit show waiting to happen.

Culture changes by slivers till the changes feel like a mountain you can not escape from. It is how we fell so very,very far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because the crime has changed. As the criminals get harder, so must the police.

If you think the police were somehow "better" in the 50's I have a bridge to sell you in Alaska.

The only thing that really changed was an addition of a culture of militarization to the police. Corruption, gang mentality, police violence were always there. But now they just also happen to think they are all fucking "operators".

3 things contributed to this.

1, 9/11 and the subsequent security craze as the consequence of the creation of a "Homefront" in the War on Terror.
    2, Tied into the War of Terror the flood of military surplus equipment into police departments. (No, your fucking small town shitty police department doesn't fucking need MRAPs, grenade launchers, military grade camo body armor, 50 cal anti material rifles and whatnot.)
    3, The NRA. At some point the "pro-gun control gun club with some safety courses" turned into Guns Galore&Ammo sexual gun peddlers of the firearms industry". Guns are fucking everywhere, gun violence is what is with the mass shootings and whatnot, and of course the now militarized law enforcement overreacted by essentially going into an arms race egged on on both sides by the NRA.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by morpen View Post
    Because the crime has changed. As the criminals get harder, so must the police.
    Criminals didn't get harder. Crime hasn't changed. It's just that now guns are fucking everywhere and the police are playing Delta Force because they believe the nonsense you just said.

Blademaster
    3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    It's been my experience that the police tend to attract those who were bullied or lacked any sort of agency in their younger years. They suddenly are granted a fair amount of power over people and unsurprisingly it goes to their head.

That is not to say there isn't good people in the police departments, there definitely is, but between the wrong type of people being attracted to the job and a surplus of military grade hardware being given to them with little to no training, it's a shit show waiting to happen.
    Fully agreed. Any department where you hold some legal power should have personality tests and strong behavior checks. Being wild and unable to handle power in a humane way just makes it worse, because only people attracted to this image apply in the long run.

I thought they were just copying OP's avatar.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Short hair has nearly always been a thing for People in Roles that may involve dangerous circumstances. Short hairs means you don't get hair in your face whilst running, You don't have something in your eyes in a crucial moment, An Assailant can't grabs your hair as a means to incapacitate you if you have no hair, It's easier to maintain and keep looking tidy.

There are many benefits of Short hair for Police officers.

Militarization happened. Bald cuts are a military thing, and the US police force is basically state-run militaries, now.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    It's been my experience that the police tend to attract those who were bullied or lacked any sort of agency in their younger years.
    In my experience it's those sort of People that tend to bitch and moan about Police.

Quote Originally Posted by Has lost its way View Post
    Culture changes by slivers till the changes feel like a mountain you can not escape from. It is how we fell so very,very far.
    Fell from what? What is your golden age? What made it so great?

Was back in the good old days when the darkies new their place in the back of the bus and the women in the kitchen?

Or was it when we forced all the natives onto reservations? When was it?

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post

And to those blaming guns, I need to remind you that there was a time you could just walk into a department store and buy submachine guns and it was no big deal (1920's).
    You could. But people didn't, because they didn't have this weird "muh freedom pew pew pew" mentality. And as soon as that shit started taking off, gun control became a necessity, because people realized having common thugs and untrained civilians running around with submachine guns was a fucking terrible idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    And to those blaming guns, I need to remind you that there was a time you could just walk into a department store and buy submachine guns and it was no big deal (1920's).
    You still can, what are you talking about lol

Unless you live in some wacko state like New York

If you live in my state of Virginia however:

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/stat...aws/virginia/#

It's to my understanding that there is no law saying I can't have "firearms" or "non bladed projectile firing devices"
    Last edited by Drusin; 2019-05-03 at 11:23 AM.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself