Poll: Do you like BFA’s story more than WOD

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    WoD's story was worse. We played that entire expansion and we know how it started and ended. They abandoned the expac fast which meant there were some weird things in the story. Orgrim thrown away, suddenly we are fighting the burning legion. Suddenly friends with grommash, without any mentioning of what bad stuff he did.

We are only halfway in BFA. We still have to see how this story ends and then we can judge it. The story looks bad now, but it can turn out well in the end: loose ends might be tied up, etc etc.

nonsense, WoD was full of nonsense, time walking, alternate universe, dead characters simply being alive again

BFA is okayish i'say, a 6/10 with the potential to get up to 8 if the play their cards right

at least some parts of BfA are interesting, for example i care about N'zoth and we all wonder what is Sylvanas up to, ally story is a bit weaker though and some zones like Vol'Dun a bit undeveloped
    Last edited by Cyanu; 2019-05-03 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post
    WoD story wasn't bad. It had the smoothest in-out transitions with other expansions.
    Time travel is always bad, but RETREADING MoP is worse.

Moreover, with the voicelines in 8.2 they've shown they can't even keep Nightborne lore from Legion straight.
    Twas brillig

Quote Originally Posted by KrakHed View Post
    The problem here is that no one has consistently acted with honor. If they had, this plot wouldn't have happened in the first place. Thus proving the value of honor. Forsaking honor results in BFA.
    The main problem with honor, justice etc. they are flexible as hell and can't be clearly defined. There are so much better concepts to tie a society to

People are so jaded against this expansion that they think a story about a parallel universe where there are two universes but only one legion, where you have the entire plot revolving around orcs not drinking fel then doing it anyways, and where you have grommash becoming a good guy at the end is actually better than BfA?

Jesus christ guys, I get that this expansion is kind of shit but take off those rose tinted goggles for a second

Wait does the Alliance have story in Bfa??

they both have their ups and downs, arguably both have more downs. i like both campaigns in BfA, but i do feel like the faction war should have probably ended sooner. like maybe have BoD be the ending to the campaign stories (first tier raid) then move into uldir, which to me would have led into more old god stuff that we are getting into soon. after what we all went through together in Legion, the faction war has been pretty dumb over all. but the kul tiran and zandalari lore aspects to me have been awesome.

WoD was a dirty toilet. the only thing that makes up for any of it was the flow of questing in wod. and all the free "we're sorry" gold from the garrison.

addition: here's my thing. i think they focus too much on trying to involve a story. i know there has to be some kind of story to push things onward, but why not try an expansion focused more heavily on overall exploration. basically i'm trying to state the cliche "make your own story" argument.

i got into this game to fight a big, frozen death knight with a killer voice and a space demon. i like some of the lore past that, but i dont think it's all been necessary.
    Last edited by Vargulf the Happy Husky; 2019-05-03 at 05:26 PM.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Quote Originally Posted by Thundering View Post
    Wait does the Alliance have story in Bfa??
    Sure, a shitty one just like everybody else in this expansion.

WoD: I dont know what I enjoy about WoD was the speculation of what it might happen: the plant people who wanted to invade Azeroth, the Ogre continent, Farahlon, the Necromancer, decent fights with each clan, the infinite dragonflight, Nerzhul and the void, Yrel Secret. BUT it wasnt even half baked and we rushed into the next expansion. The missions to get Apexis really killed it for me. The only consequence (for now) was AU Guldan. Parallel universes but not bigger consequences? Imagine fighting the Legion and the Botani at the same time.

BFA: the context is different. We dont like many decisions but the story is moving forward and I hope we face more consequences. HOWEVER, I dont like that many desperate actions of the faction leaders happen in BFA and it didnt happen during Legion. Why Tyrande didnt use the ritual against the Legion? Why Jaina didnt look for the aid of Kultiras? The Legion was global threat too! Anyway I hope many storylines close definitely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ticj View Post
    People are so jaded against this expansion that they think a story about a parallel universe where there are two universes but only one legion, where you have the entire plot revolving around orcs not drinking fel then doing it anyways, and where you have grommash becoming a good guy at the end is actually better than BfA?

Jesus christ guys, I get that this expansion is kind of shit but take off those rose tinted goggles for a second
    While WoD had major plot holes, the story was much better for a game designed around progression and fighting big bosses. Fighting a massive villain is a better incentive for gearing up than fighting other factions. Faction wars are also less heroic; there's less of a "hero's journey" narrative, more like "let's fix our leader's mistakes again."

10+ Year Old Account
    Tough call. I'd say that BFA is worse, if only because WoD had some pretty good storylines in Shadowmoon Valley, Talador, and Gorgrond for the draenei and Laughing Skull orcs. BFA has good storylines with the Kul'Tirans and Zandalari, but too many duds counterbalance it. WoD had the advantage of all the stupid story twists taking place in an alternate universe.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    The main problem with honor, justice etc. they are flexible as hell and can't be clearly defined. There are so much better concepts to tie a society to
    They probably even could, if only they made it to be a consistent thing. Saurfang's honor in prepatch alone was already all over the place.

I don't know how anyone can say BFA's story is worse than WoD. The transition from the end of MoP to WoD's story was the most jarring segway between expansions I've ever seen. It shouldn't come down to reading an external piece of media to know whats going on in the primary medium you're participating in. Imagine you were reading a book, but there were 10 chapters in the middle that you had to go buy another book for.

Then on top of that you had the confusion that was time travel / alternate timeline. Not only does the alternate universe plot device completely devalue all characters because of potentially endless canon duplicates, it's hard to give a fuck about Velen B when you have Velen A. It also cheapens the deaths of characters who met fitting ends, like Grom.

Sure, there are bits and pieces of BFA's story that aren't very good, but the entire foundation of WoD's story was complete garbage. I'd say the microstories of WoD were better... Gan'ar, Arakkoa, Shadowmoon, but the foundation they were built on just devalued them. For BFA, the macro story is better, so the problems with the micro stories don't completely negate the entirety of the lore.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    WoD didn't even have the worst story before BFA came out. TBC and Cata were far worse.
    Nah... Cata has the worst story of all time (bro... I killed Deathwing in WCII). As for BC, well, it's merely a continuation of WCIII, and it was supposed to have launched with Classic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by roboscorcher View Post
    BfA stinks right now.

WoD brought us Guldan and set up Legion. We saved the Draenei and the Orcs. The storyline was pretty smooth, aside from Grommash switching sides and everyone being ok with it. It was not a great expansion, but at least the villains were acting somewhat logically.

WoW's best storylines revolve around taking down a big bad. Faction wars carry too much baggage, as players from both sides complain that certain plot points were unfair to them. Not to mention that our last faction war, MoP, was supposed to teach us to get along. I guess we all forgot about the Sha and Garrosh?

Maybe the next expansion will justify the events in BfA as Legion did to WoD. As a standalone story, it's pretty lame.
    WoD, despite the idiocy of concocting an alternate universe in story form, started out well.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Some one should proabbly tell kil’jaden arthas deathwing and garrosh that.
    Noone of them tried to sign peace treaty.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matrix123mko View Post
    Noone of them tried to sign peace treaty.
    Neither did grom he’s forgiven instantly with yrel standing by his side like a month after he had her sister killed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I'm inherently biased against time travel shenanigans, it's something I've always hated. Beyond that, going back in time to kill a cast of historical Orc heroes, after spending an entire expansion ousting our best Warchief felt like a massive kick in the gut.

WoD for me was uniquely intolerable; however, there's one thing that counts in its favor, it was self-contained. Barring Gul'dan, one really could go around pretending that the disaster that was WoD simply never happened, because it really didn't have any impact on the broader story. Normally that would be a terrible thing, but compare that to Battle for Azeroth, which is an atrocious story that's bound to fundamentally alter the Warcraft Universe and bleed on into other stories.

I hated WoD, but I'm voting BfA is worse, simply because BfA is doing more damage to what's left of Warcraft's story overall.

Look at the ones in charge of the narrative team. Steve Danuser is an idiot and a no talent hack, along with Alex. There responsible for what goes live. Darkshore story is still garbage and upcoming story is no different. I hope activision has someone viewing forums, taking notes on the failures of the game. With sub losses really high right now, it wouldn't surprise me if there doing just that. Getting ready to make a list for layoffs. Danuser and Alex need to be on that next list of layoffs. Otherwise wow story is never gonna get better.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    I think it is. As senseless and redundant as WOD was at least it had a linear and simple storyline that could be partially at best understood. BFA feels like spinning a wheel and whatever it lands on that’s what we get. Like Jaina, the raid boss the Horde just fought and lost their King to and swore to get vengeance against, is now our ally because the traitor Baine got captured due to treason. It feels honestly they cannot write the Horde in any other way than rebellion and treason. While on the Alliance side Anduin is supposed to be leading the Alliance and does absolutely nothing except comes to the frontlines when it’s time to whine. “Oh woe is me. The Horde lacks honor. Oh woe is me the war is about to end.” And what disgusts me the most is how literally everyone just falls on his sole and licks it endlessly like a mut. Then there’s the loyalist storyline on the Horde where we keep getting cryptic and vague messages from Sylvanas and Nathanos “Don’t worry we’ll get em next time.” And “Stay focused on the endgame.” WHAT endgame?!?! We don’t know what is going on because all we hear is nonsense about the treasonous Horde hivemind and Instead of arresting Baine why didn’t Nathanos just kill Baine and Zellig at the meeting to ensure whatever your endgame is doesn’t fail as you tried with Saurfang and did at Arathi with Calia and the Forsaken defectors. There’s more I can add here. Sira and Delaryn 180 character spin on being raised. Stupid and OOC Lillian Voss. John J. Keeshan and his Human Potential. Nathanos’ plot armor. ZERO Faction Pride on either sides. Etc..

(Sorry for the typos typed this quickly on my iPhone)

Do you honestly like this story??

I don’t it’s garbage!!!

Fair point about Jaina but let's not forget how Grom was handled in 6.2 either getting off scott free for all he did and suddenly becoming our buddy and fanboy.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matrix123mko View Post
    Sylvanas isn't death worshipper. It's headcanon.
    Yeah keep telling that to yourself. I'm sure she has a completely legit noble reason to ally with Azshara and seek Knaifu. Technically she can be just a simple Old God worshipper, buuut that's about it.